• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bryant Girls Basketball

Started by hoggy34, March 22, 2006, 03:13:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggy34

ladyballer

Man what happened to this program?  Tell me Carla C didn't see this coming and jump to Cabot?  Lack of talent and big money got her out of Bryant!  Can they ever win again?

curiouscat

I don't believe for a minute that Carla would leave a school thinking talent has run out.  Look at what she did with our team this year in Cabot.  We played with a 5'11" post and still made it to the semi finals.  Should have gone all the way.............I just wish people would not assume why anyone does the things they do.  Let them get on here and tell us or leave it alone.  Carla works with the players in elementary school and up closely watching and grooming our future and I bet she did the same in Bryant.  Ever stop and think that maybe she had personal reasons to move farther north?  She could move on to college coaching at anytime.  Will it be assumed that Cabot ran out of talent or money?

ladyballer

Yes you are correct CC that Carla is a very good coach.  And she has had several chances to coach college ball and will continure to get offers.  Cabot is lucky to have her, but you have to admit that she left when the jr high program slipped.  Was it perfect timing to get an offer closer to her parents and more money at Cabot?  Yes I think so.

She is not a talent chaser at all.  Just knew when to leave.

hoggy34

I heard from a real reliable source that this job will come open,Who would be the leading candidates?Will they consider a man?They haven't had one since the Tom Webb era.

#1softballfan

I have heard Jerry Chumley in the gossip ring, but  I feel they will hire a woman if the right one applies.  They should have kept Stacy Mallett several years ago and the program would not be in the shape that it is in right now.

kijex13

Quote from: #1softballfan on March 28, 2006, 11:55:07 am
I have heard Jerry Chumley in the gossip ring, but  I feel they will hire a woman if the right one applies.  They should have kept Stacy Mallett several years ago and the program would not be in the shape that it is in right now.

She didn't last at NLR very long.

Ballhawker

Quote from: #1softballfan on March 28, 2006, 11:55:07 am
I have heard Jerry Chumley in the gossip ring, but I feel they will hire a woman if the right one applies. They should have kept Stacy Mallett several years ago and the program would not be in the shape that it is in right now.

Coach Chumley has done a really good job turning Jessieville around.  I think he  is from Bryant, so that might be a good fit. 

w ballers

#1softballfan

She would have been a heck of a lot better than Rhonda Hall- and none of the rumors were proven either- regardless of what happened outside of school- Mallett is a very good basketball coach

#1softballfan

Rumor has it, Crowder may return?  Any truth to this?

infinity41

curiouscat

Why would Carla go back to Bryant?  If she moves anywhere, don't you think up to college would be more fitting?

#1softballfan

Why would she go to college now and jeopardize her retirement- she has 26 years invested in public schools, plus she has had several opportunities to go to colleges and has turned them down- OBU to mention one- why not go back to Bryant?

curiouscat

I did not know she was considering going anywhere.  We are quite fond of her right here in Cabot.  That is the best reason I can think of to not go back to Bryant. 

23ismyhero

Jeremy Chumley's wife is my coach and she said that nobody has said a word to him about going to bryant.  I'm also sure that Crowder would not return to bryant.  She had other reasons for moving to Cabot. 

Ballhawker

I heard the same thing last night, that Chumley is not applying at Bryant. 

Iluvbsktball34

Any news on this position yet?  I have heard that Chumley is not interested either.  You never know though. 

hoggy34

Who's in the running for this,Give me some names being thrown out there.

LC sports

infinity41

Who is that and what are his qualifications?

lakers

I think he was a jr. high coach at cabot under Crowder. won several titles.

infinity41

A jr. high coach got the job at a 7A Super Conference School??????? What is the world coming to!

lakers

but it seems like you all want Carla back and she isn't coming back. He must have learned from a good one.

infinity41

How much could he learn- she just left Cabot 3 years ago didn't she?  Kind of funny what someone's name will get you.

lakers

he can't do any worse than hall. and just because it is 7A, doesn't mean a new coach has to have HS head coaching experience. It is about how knowledgable you are about the game. That is BS. 7A isn't any better than 2A as far as coaching and the players, especially in girls bball. CAC would mop up most of the teams in the 7A central and the 7A west.

Also, strong would probably do the same thing. Give the guy a chance.

infinity41

I disagree- you are running a program, elementary up,  not just a Jr. High team- secondly, CAC is private ( think about that)- thirdly, I am thinking that no one applied if they gave it to someone who has NO high school experience.  I do, however, agree with you on Hall, worst hire in the history of Bryant!

bballhype

Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves. All high school coaches had to start somewhere...just not all get to do it in a 7A program!

curiouscat

If Dan Utter is gonna coach be thrilled.  He is an outstanding coach.  He coached Kim Sitzmann in 7th grade.  She had never played basketball.  By 10th grade she was 6th man, playing with some outstanding seniors formally coached by Dan and eventually played a huge role in the state championship game.  As someone pointed out back at playoff time, Cabot has a deep bench full of coaches.  The coaches work together and have for a while I think.  I am positive about the recent years.  Dan took the girls to camps.  He had an AAU team just to keep them playing year round. He loves the game, and gives it all his heart.  He left Cabot so that he could advance in his career and knew it would be years before that opened up here.  IF Dan can turn a group of nobody's into Conference Champs before they reach high school and then see those players reach state finals and playoffs, he might just turn Bryant back around.  I am excited to know he is back in Arkansas. 

bballhype

Curious... if he is that dedicated he may be just what Bryant needs....it may take someone like that to get them back on track after the past couple of years!

infinity41

If he isn't dedicated or in over his head, it could come  back to bite him.  I am still in awe that no one else applied for that job- well lets just say at awe that no one with more experience applied.  Wonder if it was pay, working contract, what?

#1softballfan

As a past Bryant girls bball player during the Crowder era, I would say at first, I was a little shocked at the decision of the school district.  But, once I found out some information on why the hire took place, I understood.  I have said for the past couple of years that Hall was not a good choice for that program and to see someone else come in and take over puts me at ease.  What I was disappointed in, though, was that a woman was not hired.  In today's society, I think that if a school district can get a good, quality woman coach in there, they should. 

curiouscat

He should not be in over his head.  Dan is not the type person to not ask for advice.  He has worked with many great coaches.  He is young.  Last I knew, unmarried.  He works well with the girls.  He has also coached track and I think he drew short straw one year and coached soccer.  I am not sure what he did the past year or so.  He moved out of state to be near family.  I guess things did not work out.  Be optimistic and pray in a female assistant coach to work with him.  He deals with the female mood swings, love loss, personality clashes, etc, but it is always nice to also have a female the girls can go to as well.  I wish your program all the best.  Keep us posted.

#1softballfan

Hornet31

Coach Conley has the job for coaching the bryant girls this year and his goin to do a real good job. He is real serious about his coaching job and he doesnt like to lose. So have a look out of the bryant girls having a better year next year with coach Conley at the head coaching job

OLDGOLD

July 30, 2006, 10:50:05 pm #35 Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:58:28 pm by OLDGOLD
Quote from: lakers on May 03, 2006, 01:58:29 pm
he can't do any worse than hall. and just because it is 7A, doesn't mean a new coach has to have HS head coaching experience. It is about how knowledgable you are about the game. That is BS. 7A isn't any better than 2A as far as coaching and the players, especially in girls bball. CAC would mop up most of the teams in the 7A central and the 7A west.

Give Coach Utter a chance he'll do fine. On CAC,"MOPPING UP MOST of the Teams in the 7A." 1. They Recruit over 6 , 7 districts. If U advertise that's recruiting business in the real world. 2. They could only beat two teams by more than 10pts in the 7A WEST, maybe 3 teams in the 7A CENT. That leaves 11 teams they may not beat and differently NOT MOP UP as U state. 3. We'll never find out, because the private schools (Minus Catholic/MSM)are even scared to play one classification up, let alone the 7A. Play in the 7A conference week in and week out and compete, then make crazy statements like that.

kijex13

Quote from: OLDGOLD on July 30, 2006, 10:50:05 pm
Quote from: lakers on May 03, 2006, 01:58:29 pm

Give Coach Utter a chance he'll do fine. On CAC,"MOPPING UP MOST of the Teams in the 7A." 1. They Recruit over 6 , 7 districts. If U advertise that's recruiting business in the real world. 2. They could only beat two teams by more than 10pts in the 7A WEST, maybe 3 teams in the 7A CENT. That leaves 11 teams they may not beat and differently NOT MOP UP as U state. 3. We'll never find out, because the private schools (Minus Catholic/MSM)are even scared to play one classification up, let alone the 7A. Play in the 7A conference week in and week out and compete, then make crazy statements like that.

Coach Utter would do fine, but he isn't the coach at Bryant.

I am not saying that CAC woudl mop up most of the teams in the 7A or any classification for that matter.  But I don't think CAC recruits over 6 or 7 districts.  I can promise you that CAC would have beaten more than two teams by more than 10 points in the 7A West.  CAC, or any other private school for that matter, hasn't been scared to play one or more classification up.  They have no choice on which class they play in for conference and state play, but in nonconference they have played as tough a schedule as they could get.  CAC played 4 schools that were in AAAAA last year and came out with wins over each.  All four of those teams made the state playoffs.  One of them, Cabot, made the final four.  Another one, NLR, won state.  CAC beat three AAAA state tournament teams, two of those were without their best player.  In Atlanta, CAC beat the now three time defending AAAAA Alabama state champs.  Again, I'm not saying CAC would mop up the floor with anyone, but they would have competed, much better than you think at the AAAAA level, and they are definitely not scared to play a top level team. 

To further that point, CAC has a pretty tough nonconference schedule lined up for this coming year as well.  They are playing Morrilton, the defending AAAA state champ, NLR, the defending AAAAA state champ, and Carlisle, who will be one of the favorites to win AAA this year.  A game with Strong was in the works, but the girls transferring to Camden threw a kink in that.

OLDGOLD

I wouldn't be afraid to play up either if I had the advantages they have in marketing. Playing 4 teams early in the year is much easier than playing up week in and week out for a entire season. Question is if there all so good why are they complaining about a silly little multiplier?
If there's one thing SOME of the fans and parents have forgotten at SOME of these Christian schools is not to be a braggart.

James 4:16 As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.

I want to make sure everyone noticed SOME SCHOOLS, and SOME PEOPLE associated with them, not ALL.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas