• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watson Chapel @ Batesville

Started by Absolut, August 31, 2015, 09:29:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Absolut

This is the game of the week in class 5A and it should live up to the hype. I saw WC in their scrimmage game against Star City and WC started out slow, but the offense picked it up as the game went on. The offensive line played much better in the second half. Even though both teams played last year I think this game will be totally different because WC is now running a different offense and has a new defensive coordinator.

PA Dad

Absolut

I would want to hear from some batesville fans about their team this year and how many starters they have coming back, but I will definitely make a prediction.

Intelligentsia

The Pioneers have a junior QB who played JV last year and led the Jr. High Pioneers to an undefeated season two years ago.  He started on defense Friday nights last year in the secondary "Hero" position, if I recall correctly.  So, he is a very good athlete, has speed, and has a pretty good arm.  He is 6'2" or 6'3" and very strong.  We return two tailbacks who played a lot last year, one of whom won the 5-A State Triple jump.  He has speed but really likes to cut and dodge.  The other is powerful north/south runner who is not afraid of contact.  We also have two or three other tailbacks who will see playing time at tailback, keeping fresh legs and a variety of looks at RB.  The O-Line is looking good, but they don't have a lot of experience.  The strength there seems to be quality depth, allowing the Pioneers to keep fresh power upnfront.  We have a 6'7" tight end who, while unproven, may make a little noise - both in blocking and receiving.  I know we have a couple of pretty good receivers, but I'm less acquainted with the Pioneer potential in that area.  Defense against the run and pressure on the QB seems to be our defensive strength, with good size/speed on the line and a couple of punishing linebackers.  I'm not sure about our passing defense, but I'm never sure about it. Well, that's more than you asked for.  As for me, I'm going with a 31 - 21Pioneer victory, based on what I've read and heard about WC.  Are you going to make the trip to Batesville? If so, let me know if you need directions or suggestions about a place to eat along the way. 

Absolut

That's good info intell. My feeling is that this game will come down to the offensive and defensive lines. Our strength on offense is our three headed attack at running back and wide receivers. All state back Trey Cole and Trey woods are homerun hitters in the running game and return game. Our receivers are big and physical after they catch the ball. My concern is our young but very talented sophomore QB and offensive line.
The defense is fast and a very quick and experienced defensive line will lead the way on defense. I am very concerned about our linebackers. I didn't see one who jumped out to me in the scrimmage so maybe we will move some players to those positions. Our secondary is good, but I want to see more from our nickel and dime cornerbacks, but I don't think that will be a factor against batesville.

I actually see a high scoring game because batesville can take advantage of WC's linebackers and WC will put tremendous playmakers in space. WC 35-31.

PA Dad

Quote from: Absolut on August 31, 2015, 10:39:07 pm
That's good info intell. My feeling is that this game will come down to the offensive and defensive lines. Our strength on offense is our three headed attack at running back and wide receivers. All state back Trey Cole and Trey woods are homerun hitters in the running game and return game. Our receivers are big and physical after they catch the ball. My concern is our young but very talented sophomore QB and offensive line.
The defense is fast and a very quick and experienced defensive line will lead the way on defense. I am very concerned about our linebackers. I didn't see one who jumped out to me in the scrimmage so maybe we will move some players to those positions. Our secondary is good, but I want to see more from our nickel and dime cornerbacks, but I don't think that will be a factor against batesville.

I actually see a high scoring game because batesville can take advantage of WC's linebackers and WC will put tremendous playmakers in space. WC 35-31.

I like a fan who is confident in his team.  But that would be quite an upset.  I think Batesville is probably the team to beat in 5A this year.

Intelligentsia

Time will tell:). It should be a great game!!

Absolut

It's a big challenge no doubt. Coach King has done a fantastic job for several years. Same system he just gets his players to play physical and pound the ball. Looking at last year's game though it was a 4 quarter ballgame and WC made too many self inflicted mistakes. If you look closely at the game WC pretty much shutdown Batesville running game for the majority of the game. If the same d-line players can duplicate their success we should be in good shape.
It's extremely important we get the ball in the hands of our receivers quickly and let them do damage on the outside offensively. Trey Cole will definitely do serious damage when the ball is in his hands. I just hope that's enough and we don't turn the ball over

Intelligentsia

It appears the Pioneer's O-Line is a bit stronger this year and defense will almost certainly make the WC QB uncomfortable.  No doubt about WC making some critical errors last year, I recall that pretty well.  A long bus ride and playing on the road may play a small factor, so I'll stick with my prediction.  Send me a PM when you arrive and I'll meet you by the visitors concession stand for a short visit.  Have a safe trip!

Chief_Osceola™

Absolut - is Kaleb your QB?  I know he's a sophomore, but I don't know if he is a QB or receiver.  Or maybe neither.  Just wondering - I've known him for years, and figured he would play quarterback with his arm strength.

GuvHog

If WC hadn't gotten so many penalties and made so many mistakes last year, they would have beaten Batesville IMHO, but it didn't happen. If WC can stop doing those things they'll make Batesville earn every point. I said I wouldn't pick WC to win a big game until after they show me they can win one so I'll go 28-24 Batesville.

MDXPHD

PA Dad

Batesville by 10.  I have no idea if it will be a high or low scoring game.

Rocko1493

Batesville 28
Watson Chapel 14

Close at half but Batesville pulls away in the fourth quarter

Absolut

Chief our QB is sophomore Jakobi Jackson. Jaquan Dorsey is the backup for now.

zebrafan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 01, 2015, 12:18:02 am
Absolut - is Kaleb your QB?  I know he's a sophomore, but I don't know if he is a QB or receiver.  Or maybe neither.  Just wondering - I've known him for years, and figured he would play quarterback with his arm strength.
WR for now, but nice size.

Absolut

Intell I might not be able to get off work in time to make it to the game. Does batesville have a radio station that will broadcast the game?

The_Pioneer

Intelligentsia

It ought to run on cube.com, but seems I saw someone post that they delay the cube until the next day for home games.

Rocko1493

They did that last year.  The only reason I was told was Batesville wanted to ensure as many people in the stands as possible

The_Pioneer

We're very average right now.  Our offense is behind schedule at the moment.  We'll be better later in the year, but you have to hope this was an eye opener.  Don't always believe the hype.

Intelligentsia

Nerves seemed to play a factor.  WC is a very good team, very fast and well coached.  They will do well this year.

scoutteamshoota

Nerves played a factor for Batesville, Chapel, and the refs as well.  Sloppy on both sides and horribly officiated.  Two teams that will be in the quarterfinals

Intelligentsia

Quote from: scoutteamshoota on September 04, 2015, 11:04:46 pm
Nerves played a factor for Batesville, Chapel, and the refs as well.  Sloppy o Edn both sides and horribly officiated.  Two teams that will be in the quarterfinals

Yep, pretty much sums it up.

Grond

Nothing like a punch in the nose to remind yourself that you can still bleed. :P

Sounds like the Batesville coaches will have a lot of topics for practice this week.  ;)

Intelligentsia

A final note about stats from the Batesville - WC game.  First Downs - WC 16, Batesville 14;  Rushing - WC 28 for 160 yards, Batesville 54 for 243 yards; Passing - WC 14 of 29 for 165 yards and 1 interception, Batesville 9 of 17/for 135/yards and 2 interceptions.  Total yards - WC 325, Batesville 378.  Penalties - WC 15 for 120 yards (5 of which were offsides), Batesville 10 for 102 yards.  Fumbles - WC 6 with 3 lost, Batesville 3 with 1lost.  Close on paper as it was on the scoreboard.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas