• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrimmages

Started by PA Dad, August 25, 2015, 09:29:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

I think all teams are scrimmaging sometime this week.  Most of the scrimmages are tonight.

I thought we can use this thread to report on the scrimmages.  I'm interested in what everyone thinks of their teams after seeing them in action against another team for the first time.

I'll report on the PA/Bryant scrimmage tonight.

Maynard G Krebs

time for the PA scrimmage?

Overdahill

PA Dad

Maynard G Krebs

TROJANS18

Hot Springs scrimmage LR Christian tonight at Joe Reese Stadium. 5:30 Jr varsity. 7:00 varsity

PA Dad

Quote from: TROJANS18 on August 25, 2015, 01:50:46 pm
Hot Springs scrimmage LR Christian tonight at Joe Reese Stadium. 5:30 Jr varsity. 7:00 varsity

Please give us a report on how the teams look.

TROJANS18

RamFan06

Lakeside at Sheridan tonight at 7:00.

tmycjy

Let everyone know wynne 27 Searcy 7 2ed quarter

PA Dad

August 25, 2015, 09:58:42 pm #10 Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:01:35 pm by PA Dad
I watched PA scrimmage with Bryant.  I was impressed by PA.

PA looks solid in all phases.  It is a young team with several sophomores and juniors starting but the team is fundamentally sound. 

The o-line is as good as, or maybe better than, last year.  They were outstanding pass blocking and good run blocking.  They had only one break down pass blocking which resulted in the only sack of PA's quarterback.  The qb was hurried several other times but that was the result of good coverage, not poor blocking.  Caden Haws ( center) will play D-1 ball.

One of my concerns has been that a sophomore will start at qb.  I should have known that Kelley would not start a qb that wasn't ready.  Hatcher was poised and mature.  He made two bad decisions.  He threw into double coverage and was intercepted and, under pressure, he threw a ball up for grabs.  But, that's pretty good for a sophomore.  His passing was sharp.  He read blitzes well and dumped the ball off or threw it away.  He escaped pressure and gained yards scrambling, which the qb last year could not do.  He was also able to keep his eyes downfield while escaping pressure and completed several passes  while scrambling. I was relieved and impressed.

Tre Bruce and Jaren Watkins looked good at running back.  RJ Anderson, a sophomore, had one carry for 17 yards and looked impressive.

The receivers are young since Kelley is out with an injury.  But they made good catches and runs after catch.

PA's offense seems to overshadow the defense.  I thought the defense last year deserved a lot of credit.  There appears to be no drop off this year.

The D line is undersized and had trouble early stopping the downhill run.  The safeties are going to have to come up to provide run support.  They did so after the first series and shut the run down.  Bryant had no success trying to get outside.

The linebackers are small but mobile and made some hits you could feel in the stands.

The secondary supported well against the run and allowed Bryant very little through the air.  And PA sacked the Bryant qb 4-5 times.  The varsity played the first 3 quarters.  The score after 3 was PA 35 Bryant 10.  The JV played the 4th quarter.  The final was 49-10.

I've said in other threads that the expectations for PA may be too high this year.  I may be wrong about that.  PA looked very good tonight.  I think they will be hard to beat.

InYoGrill

Nice thread PA Dad. I thought about posting it earlier last week but glad you did. Very nice report on the PA/Bryant game. PA just reloads every year. They are like GW in that it is expected they win and win often. I'd love to see them play that TX team week 1 but little too far for me. Keep the updates coming. Enjoy the information.

PA Dad

By the way, PA made no rugby laterals tonight.  Maybe Kelley is saving that for Highland Park.

PA Dad

Quote from: InYoGrill on August 25, 2015, 10:14:59 pm

Nice thread PA Dad. I thought about posting it earlier last week but glad you did. Very nice report on the PA/Bryant game. PA just reloads every year. They are like GW in that it is expected they win and win often. I'd love to see them play that TX team week 1 but little too far for me. Keep the updates coming. Enjoy the information.

Thanks.  Next week's game should be very interesting.  And then we get Wynne.  Great way to start the season.

Intelligentsia

Impressive.  Given that report, I'll have to alter my prediction for the Wynne game.  Thanks for a good description of the scrimmage.

MoTownDog

Morrilton scrimmaged Ozark last night.  New starting quarterback completed 13 of 17 passes with a total of 219 yards and 2 touchdowns in just 1 1/2 quarters of play.  2 of the 4 incomplete passes were dropped by receivers.  While Ozark may not be very good this year, one thing is for certain,  Morrilton's passing game is back!  Final score was 28-14 Morrilton.

GuvHog

Watson Chapel and Star City scrimmaged last night at Star City.

Final score: WC 21  Star City 19.

PA Dad

Quote from: MoTownDog on August 26, 2015, 08:53:26 am
Morrilton scrimmaged Ozark last night.  New starting quarterback completed 13 of 17 passes with a total of 219 yards and 2 touchdowns in just 1 1/2 quarters of play.  2 of the 4 incomplete passes were dropped by receivers.  While Ozark may not be very good this year, one thing is for certain,  Morrilton's passing game is back!  Final score was 28-14 Morrilton.

What year is the new quarterback?  He sounds impressive.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 26, 2015, 06:46:07 am
Impressive.  Given that report, I'll have to alter my prediction for the Wynne game.  Thanks for a good description of the scrimmage.

Did Batesville scrimmage last night?  If so, can you give us a report?

pioneerguru

Pioneers scrimmage Thursday

PA Dad

PA Dad

Quote from: GuvHog on August 26, 2015, 09:37:12 am

How did WC look?  Ready for Batesville?

GuvHog

Quote from: PA Dad on August 26, 2015, 01:23:59 pm
Quote from: GuvHog on August 26, 2015, 09:37:12 am

How did WC look?  Ready for Batesville?

According to some from Star City, WC is very salty and will be really hard to beat in the 5A South.

MoTownDog

Quarter back was our backup last year.  He is a junior this and played some last when starter kept getting hurt.  He really struggled though.  Spent all winter training with Clint sterner and difference is incredible. If he can get some speed he will be d1 material. 

InYoGrill

Vilonia traveled down to Arkadelphia last week. Any Eagle fans care to give a report on the game?

hawgfan15

Quote from: InYoGrill on August 26, 2015, 09:13:10 pm

Vilonia traveled down to Arkadelphia last week. Any Eagle fans care to give a report on the game?

Not an eagle fan but ballplayer1 was at the scrimmage and talked a little about it on the 4a board.

~WPS~

Quote from: hawgfan15 on August 26, 2015, 09:23:12 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on August 26, 2015, 09:13:10 pm

Not an eagle fan but ballplayer1 was at the scrimmage and talked a little about it on the 4a board.
Vilonia struggled to move the ball. They didn't seem to have much rhythm. Arkadelphia's D line didn't give the QB much time to throw. Vilonia's defense was a little overmatched against Arkadelphia's spread option style. The pass defense made some good plays and looked solid. Vilonia improved as the game went on got some stops and had a 40+ yard TD pass but Arkadelphia had built a 24-0 lead quick.

InYoGrill

Thanks for the updates Scrapper fans. I kinda heard that we ran into a buzz saw that scrimmage. Lot of changes with the Eagles before the season. New interim coach, new offense (spread), previous coordinators replaced. Its going to take some time but we are headed in a better direction than previous years.

Go Eagles!

FD4

Dad, on a serious note, looks as if the ground work is laid out for PA, just need some time work out the kinks.  Over here in the delta our team looks fair.  If I had to rate the Yellowjackets right now I would rate us out 7.8 or so on the 10 scale.  We seemed to show greatness at times, but also needed to settle down and watch the ball better on defense.  We did get a couple pick offs, but you have to realize Searcy needed to work out the kinks as well.  We have the running backs, no problems there.  The O line is pretty good.  The one thing missing however is, the pass game is history for now.  So we are now heavy reliant on mixed direction, option, trap, and dive.

If I had to predict the outcome of Wynne hosting PA on week two, I would say maybe a two score underdog. The only thing I could see going our way would be Home Field, and ball control, just run clock and keep your offense off the field.

Overdahill

August 27, 2015, 09:36:06 am #29 Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:39:09 am by Overdahill
Quote from: FD4 on August 27, 2015, 07:40:45 am
Dad, on a serious note, looks as if the ground work is laid out for PA, just need some time work out the kinks.  Over here in the delta our team looks fair.  If I had to rate the Yellowjackets right now I would rate us out 7.8 or so on the 10 scale.  We seemed to show greatness at times, but also needed to settle down and watch the ball better on defense.  We did get a couple pick offs, but you have to realize Searcy needed to work out the kinks as well.  We have the running backs, no problems there.  The O line is pretty good.  The one thing missing however is, the pass game is history for now.  So we are now heavy reliant on mixed direction, option, trap, and dive.

If I had to predict the outcome of Wynne hosting PA on week two, I would say maybe a two score underdog. The only thing I could see going our way would be Home Field, and ball control, just run clock and keep your offense off the field.

I was at the PA scrimmage with Bryant and despite the score IMO PA still has some work to do. The timing seemed rather off on their precision passing game (yes I recognize this it is very early for live action with a new QB but that timing is key) and Bryant could not throw effectively down the field when PA loaded the box.

I think the game week two vs Wynne is going to be a battle that could go either way assuming Wynne can both run and pass when the time comes

wynnefootballfan

Saw Blythville scrimage Pocahontas. Blyth has some kids that can play. They need some work still but should be decent this year. Pocahontas has some good size and a really good running game. They should be tough in there conference.

PA Dad

August 27, 2015, 10:08:41 am #31 Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:20:42 am by PA Dad

I think we both realize that a scrimmage is a poor predictor of season long results.  I guess I'm high on PA because they exceeded my expectations by a large margin in the scrimmage.  PA certainly has its own kinks to work out.  I'm looking for a good game with Wynne.

I note that your strength may be PA's weakness.  You apparently have a strong running game, and I thought PA's biggest problem on defense was stopping the downhill run.  That will be an interesting matchup.

I don't think PA should be a two score favorite.  At this point, I'd call it a toss up.

PA Dad

Quote from: Overdahill on August 27, 2015, 09:36:06 am

I was at the PA scrimmage with Bryant and despite the score IMO PA still has some work to do. The timing seemed rather off on their precision passing game (yes I recognize this it is very early for live action with a new QB but that timing is key) and Bryant could not throw effectively down the field when PA loaded the box.

I think the game week two vs Wynne is going to be a battle that could go either way assuming Wynne can both run and pass when the time comes

I agree with that assessment.  As I said in another post, PA greatly exceeded my expectations in the scrimmage and that's why I'm excited about the team.  But you are right that they have a lot more work to do.

FD4

Your opening game with that bunch from Texas will say a lot.  If the lateral thing gets installed in time to confuse the Texas defenders, their coaching staff probably wont be able to adjust quick enough if you get the quick strikes in early.  As for Wynne, we are going to be able to run the ball, we better, were committed to it this season.  To get a feel for what we would perhaps look like, youtube Georgia Tech vs Duke 09.  I realize those are two really good D1 schools, but the match ups are likely what you will see when we are on offense, sort of.

Just like your defense outlook, we too have some work to do there as well.  Got to keep our guys from biting on the fake and not blow coverage.  I feel we can run with your receivers step for step, staying in coverage though, a whole new thing there.  Everyone around here keep saying 8/2 on the season.  I as well still give PA an edge on us unless your run defense just cant hang.  Will be a great game with a great out of district rival.  Yall are class all the way.

PA Dad

Quote from: FD4 on August 27, 2015, 01:57:56 pm
Your opening game with that bunch from Texas will say a lot.  If the lateral thing gets installed in time to confuse the Texas defenders, their coaching staff probably wont be able to adjust quick enough if you get the quick strikes in early.  As for Wynne, we are going to be able to run the ball, we better, were committed to it this season.  To get a feel for what we would perhaps look like, youtube Georgia Tech vs Duke 09.  I realize those are two really good D1 schools, but the match ups are likely what you will see when we are on offense, sort of.

Just like your defense outlook, we too have some work to do there as well.  Got to keep our guys from biting on the fake and not blow coverage.  I feel we can run with your receivers step for step, staying in coverage though, a whole new thing there.  Everyone around here keep saying 8/2 on the season.  I as well still give PA an edge on us unless your run defense just cant hang.  Will be a great game with a great out of district rival.  Yall are class all the way.

I appreciate that.

I mean no disrespect to any other teams in 5A because I think there are some good ones this year, but I think PA fans look at Wynne and Batesville as the teams to beat this year.  I think the Wynne - PA and Wynne - Batesville games will be THE games to see this year in 5A.  (I'll probably be proved wrong - watch another team knock off one of those three this year!).

It's going to be a great season of football.

Overdahill

August 27, 2015, 02:26:37 pm #35 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:56:18 am by Overdahill
Quote from: FD4 on August 27, 2015, 01:57:56 pm

Just like your defense outlook, we too have some work to do there as well.  Got to keep our guys from biting on the fake and not blow coverage.  I feel we can run with your receivers step for step, staying in coverage though, a whole new thing there.  Everyone around here keep saying 8/2 on the season.  I as well still give PA an edge on us unless your run defense just cant hang.  Will be a great game with a great out of district rival.  Yall are class
all the way.

Thx for the tip. I'm somewhat familiar with the Duke and GT systems. Went to the GT @ Duke game in 2011 with my son on a recruiting visit. GT offense is tough to defend especially when they take their selected shots down the field to keep the defense loose. That day they had a big rangy receiver who hurt Duke deep on many occasions

Rocko1493

Does anyone know the outcome or stats of the Batesville Pioneer scrimmage?

PA Dad

How did the teams look?

PA Dad

Quote from: Rocko1493 on August 27, 2015, 08:00:13 pm
Does anyone know the outcome or stats of the Batesville Pioneer scrimmage?

Who did Batesville scrimmage?  Someone please give us a report.

Rocko1493

Batesville played both Mountain Home and Highland at Highland.

PA Dad

Quote from: Rocko1493 on August 27, 2015, 09:07:11 pm
Batesville played both Mountain Home and Highland at Highland.

How about a report on the game?

Intelligentsia

The Pioneers participated in a "triangular" scrimmage with 6A Mt. Home and 4A Highland, at Highland, this evening.  They played a variety of series, rotating between teams.  While it was interesting and quite a good exercise, especially seeing two teams on offense and defense, no score was kept.  There were even 20+ plays ran at the goaline with the teams rotating quickly in and out on each play, spotting the ball at the 3 each time.  Each team ran around 25 plays from the other teams 40, and maybe ten plays from there own 30.  Batesville looked pretty good on offense, scoring several TD, but the coach was substituting 4-5 players on every play.  I hadn't really thought about the number of running backs Batesville has.  I think he ran 5 or maybe 6 tailbacks and 2 or 3 fullbacks.  The O-Line started a bit slow, but picked up the pace as they went along. The defense was quite good against the run, especially in the middle.  The secondary defense has some work to do. This is a pretty young and may be be several games away from putting things together.  I'll tighten my Watson Chapel prediction to Pioneers winning 42-35.  Some of the other more knowledgeable Pioneer faithful may have more to add.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 27, 2015, 09:41:04 pm
The Pioneers participated in a "triangular" scrimmage with 6A Mt. Home and 4A Highland, at Highland, this evening.  They played a variety of series, rotating between teams.  While it was interesting and quite a good exercise, especially seeing two teams on offense and defense, no score was kept.  There were even 20+ plays ran at the goaline with the teams rotating quickly in and out on each play, spotting the ball at the 3 each time.  Each team ran around 25 plays from the other teams 40, and maybe ten plays from there own 30.  Batesville looked pretty good on offense, scoring several TD, but the coach was substituting 4-5 players on every play.  I hadn't really thought about the number of running backs Batesville has.  I think he ran 5 or maybe 6 tailbacks and 2 or 3 fullbacks.  The O-Line started a bit slow, but picked up the pace as they went along. The defense was quite good against the run, especially in the middle.  The secondary defense has some work to do. This is a pretty young and may be be several games away from putting things together.  I'll tighten my Watson Chapel prediction to Pioneers winning 42-35.  Some of the other more knowledgeablee Pioneer faithful may have more to add.

Thanks for the report.  Sounds like an unusual scrimmage.  But nothing in this report changes my opinion that Batesville is the team to beat this year.

Rampage72501

During the 15 play sessions and the two 12 minute quarters, Batesville scored 7 times and gave up only 1 to Mountain Home.  During the 12 minute quarters, closer to real game action, Batesville may have given up 1 first down.

Mountain Home's numbers are pretty dismal for a 6A school.  Highland had some size.  They went back and forth against each other, but I would say Mountain Home was the better of the two.  Not real sure how much of a test we got tonight..

Lots to work on, but lots of positives as well.  We'll get a better test next week.

PA Dad

Quote from: Rampage72501 on August 27, 2015, 10:25:58 pm
During the 15 play sessions and the two 12 minute quarters, Batesville scored 7 times and gave up only 1 to Mountain Home.  During the 12 minute quarters, closer to real game action, Batesville may have given up 1 first down.

Mountain Home's numbers are pretty dismal for a 6A school.  Highland had some size.  They went back and forth against each other, but I would say Mountain Home was the better of the two.  Not real sure how much of a test we got tonight..

Lots to work on, but lots of positives as well.  We'll get a better test next week.

At this point all teams have kinks to work out.  But it sounds like Batesville is well on its way to a good season.

Go Postal

Huntsville @ Harrison benefit game tonight.

Overdahill

Quote from: PA Dad on August 27, 2015, 09:00:34 pm

How did the teams look?

Any feedback from this one? sounded like it be two contenders meeting

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on August 28, 2015, 09:54:13 am

Let us know how Harrison looks.

Go Postal

Quote from: PA Dad on August 28, 2015, 10:15:45 am
Quote from: Go Postal on August 28, 2015, 09:54:13 am

Let us know how Harrison looks.
Battle of the Veterans.  Head coach Wells vs Head coach Tice.

Loyalfan1

how did Texarkana / Hope scrimmage go?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas