• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CLASS 5A FEARLESS FORECAST

Started by BarclayAlmanac, August 23, 2015, 08:21:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BarclayAlmanac

August 23, 2015, 08:21:31 pm Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:55:05 pm by BarclayAlmanac
Over the next week, we'll take a look at each conference and with the help of RPS determine who will win the conference championship and who will contend:

5A-EAST
PROJECTED CHAMPION: Batesville
CONTENDERS: Wynne
KEY GAME(S): Oct. 16 Wynne at Batesville
FEARLESS FORECAST: Batesville is the solid favorite to win its third straight outright conference championship, which would be quite a feat for the Pioneers. The last time they reeled off three straight outright conference titles was 1954, 1955 and 1956, a span of almost 60 years. If they do pull it off, it will be with a lot of new faces. Batesville returns just three offensive starters, all linemen. Peyton Tovey and Colin Emery return at tackles with Cody Garner back at a guard. "We lost a 2-year starter at quarterback and some other really good players," Batesville head coach Dave King said. "We only have three starters returning, so it will take some time to jell, but we feel like we will have a very productive offense as young players come on. Offensive line depth will be a big positive." Batesville returns five on defense. The Pioneers could get some help from a good sophomore class that was 10-0 in junior high last year. Wynne is the only team capable of challenging Batesville, and the Yellowjackets have a lot of new faces as well with only five starters back in all. Forrest City is in line for a playoff berth with seven starters back on offense and five on defense. "We're okay in the skill positions but not very deep on the O-line," Forrest City head coach Rich Trail said. "We need the linemen to stay healthy." The battle in the conference will be for the third and fourth playoff positions. "Wynne and Batesville will be tough again, and Nettleton is coming off a good season," Valley View head coach Sean Cockrell said. "We hope to be in the mix."

5A-CENTRAL
PROJECTED CHAMPION: Pulaski Academy
CONTENDERS: none
KEY GAME(S): Oct. 9 Jacksonville at Sylvan Hills
FEARLESS FORECAST: Pulaski Academy is a run-away choice for the conference championship, and it won't be close. Despite breaking in a new quarterback, the Bruins will breeze through the conference. Layne Hatcher takes over at quarterback after throwing for 381 yards and six touchdowns, completing 31 of 49 passes. That makes Jacksonville's game at Sylvan Hills on October 9 the game of the year because it will decide the conference runner-up and a home-field advantage in the first round of the Class 5A playoffs. Beebe and Little Rock McClellan will also be in the battle for playoff positioning. Rugged fullback Trip Smith leads Beebe's Dead-T offense after rushing for 1,603 yards and 23 touchdowns last year despite missing three games due to an injury. That was after a sophomore season in which he ran for 1,929 and 25 touchdowns. "Trip needs only 700 yards to become the all-time leading rusher in Beebe history," Beebe head coach John Shannon said. 

5A-SOUTH
PROJECTED CHAMPION: Camden Fairview
CONTENDERS: Hope
KEY GAME(S): Oct. 23 Camden Fairview at Hope
FEARLESS FORECAST: The 5A-South is a two-team race with Camden Fairview the front runner and Hope chasing. How far ahead of the pack Camden Fairview will be determined in late October. Logan Reed paces the Cardinals' offense. Reed completed 103 of 165 passes for 1,541 yards and nine touchdowns while D.J. Franklin ran for 704 yards and 10 touchdowns a year ago. Linebacker Raymond Hill leads Camden Fairview's defense with 100 tackles, including eight for lost yardage last year. Hope also has a defensive leader in strongman end McTelvin Agim. Quarterback Austin Stubber threw for 1,834 yards and 15 touchdowns as a sophomore for the Bobcats. Watson Chapel could have a say about things at the top of the conference 11 returning starters, including six on offense. "Our strength is at the running back position with three seniors who have all had good off-seasons," Watson Chapel head coach Jared Dutton said. "We look to be much improved from last year and want to take pressure off our offense." Tryvarious Cole ran for 695 yards and five touchdowns for the Wildcats. Watson Chapel definitely wins the award for hardest nonconference schedule in Class 5A with Batesville, Pine Bluff and Nashville on the docket. Hot Springs returns the most electrifying player in the conference in running back Cleo Floyd, who ran for 2,030 yards on only 197 carries and 20 touchdowns.

5A-WEST
PROJECTED CHAMPION: LR Christian
CONTENDERS: Morrilton, Maumelle, Greenbrier, Vilonia
KEY GAME(S): Oct. 30 LR Christian at Morrilton
FEARLESS FORECAST: Siloam Springs, Greenwood and Alma have all left the conference in the past few years, and Maumelle  stormed the new-look conference last year in its first year up from Class 4A. Maumelle will once again in the hunt for the conference championship but Little Rock Christian is the pick to win the conference with Faulkner County rivals Greenbrier and Vilonia  along with Morrilton also expected to contend in the wide-open race. Damarea Crockett lead Little Rock Christina's offense after rushing 146 times for 1,178 yards and 17 touchdowns. He also caught 21 passes for 221 yards and a pair of scores. Joe Hampton missed seven games last year but will definitely be another big-play threat for the Warriors. "Took a big step in 2013 returning the program to the playoffs for the first time in five years," Warrior head coach Jeff Weaver said. "We came up a little short losing four games we had a Lus as sophomores as well. Caleb Canady and Jalen Wright played quarterback for Morrilton last year and both return. "We're more talented than last year with two at quarterback that got experience last year," Morrilton head coach Cody McNabb said. "We also return a good veteran offensive line. We're more explosive at wide receiver if we can get it to them." Greenbrier also returns a solid quarterback in Harold Ross, who threw for 2,436 yards and 23 touchdowns last year. Farmington may not be in the running for the title but also returns a good quarterback in Brice Waggle, who threw for 1,978 yards and 20 touchdowns. "Little Rock Christian should be considered a strong contender for not only a conference championship but a state championship as well," Farmington head coach Mike Adams said. "After them, Vilonia and Morrilton return a lot of kids on both sides of the ball and that makes them solid contenders. Greenbrier and Harrison should carry some momentum from last year. We have got to keep everyone healthy to contend for a playoff spot."

PA Dad

Most folks on this board have been saying that the West is wide open.  Thanks for confirming it. 

I assume you will follow with an analysis of the other conferences in 5A?

PA Dad

It's interesting that Beebe gets slighted after their run at the end of last year.  I'd pick Beebe above both SH and Jacksonville.  Beebe's first game with GB may tell us a lot about their team this year.

mijally

Those rushing numbers for those backs are sick. The year of the running back in 5a.

Rivalshog

jaxalum2008

Hate to be pessimistic, but with the current state of chemistry of Jacksonville and their nine games, they will be lucky to go 3-6.

TROJANS18

Hot Springs not a contender in the South?

RamFan06

Quote from: TROJANS18 on September 11, 2015, 12:04:20 pm
Hot Springs not a contender in the South?

I was kind of scratching my head at this one also. I dont see Hope contending for the title this year. Hot Springs will be a little down from last year but should still be up toward the top.

SHHSFAN

I understand PA is a great program and a great school, but to insist that there are "no contenders" in the 5A central is completely wrong.  If I'm not mistaken, PA comes to Sylvan Hills this year for the final game of the regular season.  I feel Sylvan Hills will be undefeated.  I only hope that PA is!  The Bears are being overlooked here early in the season.  This is the best team Sylvan Hills has put on the field in quite sometime. Our defense is young, but they are only going to get better.  I wouldn't just give PA the title at this time.  I promise they will have their hands full the last game of the year.       

Titan Spirit

Sylvan Hills is good no doubt but you better not assume you are going to be undefeated when you get to PA. I see your schedule is as soft as Ohio States until Oct 23rd. Better not look past McClellan they can at the very least match your athletes and they seem to have a line this year.

Overdahill

Quote from: SHHSFAN on September 15, 2015, 10:09:39 am
I understand PA is a great program and a great school, but to insist that there are "no contenders" in the 5A central is completely wrong.  If I'm not mistaken, PA comes to Sylvan Hills this year for the final game of the regular season.  I feel Sylvan Hills will be undefeated.  I only hope that PA is!  The Bears are being overlooked here early in the season.  This is the best team Sylvan Hills has put on the field in quite sometime. Our defense is young, but they are only going to get better.  I wouldn't just give PA the title at this time.  I promise they will have their hands full the last game of the year.     

You are correct that teams should not start reading their press clippings too early; Arkansas vs Toledo is a prime example.

PA Dad

Quote from: SHHSFAN on September 15, 2015, 10:09:39 am

If SH can find a defense, I think they can contend for the title.

futurebobcatdad

Quote from: Rivalshog on August 31, 2015, 03:05:23 pm
Hope?  Really????
Hope 3-1 avg 35 ppg and only giving up 20! Our only lost was to a Nashville team by 1point that hung 69 on a WC that just beat Hot Springs last Friday night. I know comparing scores dont matter a bit but i like our chances of winning the south this year

Youngsta71701

5A-SOUTH
PROJECTED CHAMPION: Camden Fairview
CONTENDERS: Hope
KEY GAME(S): Oct. 23 Camden Fairview at Hope
FEARLESS FORECAST: The 5A-South is a two-team race with Camden Fairview the front runner and Hope chasing. How far ahead of the pack Camden Fairview will be determined in late October. Logan Reed paces the Cardinals' offense. Reed completed 103 of 165 passes for 1,541 yards and nine touchdowns while D.J. Franklin ran for 704 yards and 10 touchdowns a year ago. Linebacker Raymond Hill leads Camden Fairview's defense with 100 tackles, including eight for lost yardage last year. Hope also has a defensive leader in strongman end McTelvin Agim. Quarterback Austin Stubber threw for 1,834 yards and 15 touchdowns as a sophomore for the Bobcats. Watson Chapel could have a say about things at the top of the conference 11 returning starters, including six on offense. "Our strength is at the running back position with three seniors who have all had good off-seasons," Watson Chapel head coach Jared Dutton said. "We look to be much improved from last year and want to take pressure off our offense." Tryvarious Cole ran for 695 yards and five touchdowns for the Wildcats. Watson Chapel definitely wins the award for hardest nonconference schedule in Class 5A with Batesville, Pine Bluff and Nashville on the docket. Hot Springs returns the most electrifying player in the conference in running back Cleo Floyd, who ran for 2,030 yards on only 197 carries and 20 touchdowns.

This forecast is looking very cloudy... :( :'(

Overdahill

^^ Having seen CFV vs Lakeside and Hope vs Hot Springs, Oct 23rd could be a tough night for the early favorites

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas