• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesvilles Chance at State this Year.

Started by SWAT524, August 19, 2015, 09:23:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SWAT524

I hear they are looking very salty this year! Huge kids this year. Thoughts?

wynnefootballfan

Quote from: SWAT524 on August 19, 2015, 09:23:38 am
I hear they are looking very salty this year! Huge kids this year. Thoughts?

I'd say most likely make it to the simi's. At that level, any of the four teams are good enough to take it all. I would'nt know how to guess any further at this point.

The Future

2010: Semis
2011: State
2012: State
2013: State
2014: Semis

I figure Batesville's chances of getting to State are just about the same as they were past 5 years. They always have a good team that can get them far in the playoffs and even to state. But winning state is a different story.

Absolut

Is it fair to say Watson chapel @ Batesville will be a litmus test for both teams? I think we'll find out a whole lot about both teams.

Intelligentsia

They have a good shot at making it to the semifinals, but as stated previously, all four final teams should be very good.  At that point, it depends on how the match up and can be determined by one bad bounce or one missed assignment.

walkingguy72396

tmycjy

In my opinion I think they could make it to the finals if they played there card right I think it could be kinda like last year who ever on the other side of good team in the playoff could make to the finals

#1jacketfan

Depends on if they have to play PA before they get there!

Uncle Ivan

Depends on if they play at a stadium with walls.

wynnefootballfan

As much as I hate to say it. If they go into a game with a 50/50 chance, the odds are 70/30 in there favor. (yes I stole that from a comercial, but alass it's true).theresimply a very solid football team year in and out due to there program blueprint and community commitment from the wee grades through senior.

side note. (diff discussion)

I see Bates and Wynne (once again decideing the East champ with Blythville and Nettleton getting the other spots.

The_Pioneer

We're going to walk to a state title and then challenge Ohio State to a winner take all fight to decide the football playoff.

MDXPHD

Quote from: #1jacketfan on August 19, 2015, 12:32:36 pm

Remember, the same PA team that beat Batesville last year also embarrassed Wynne in the title game.  Hopefully Wynne can finish behind Batesville in the conference again and have another "moral" victory by making it to the title game.

PA Dad

Quote from: The_Pioneer on August 19, 2015, 04:34:21 pm
We're going to walk to a state title and then challenge Ohio State to a winner take all fight to decide the football playoff.

With Batesville's talent this year Ohio State wouldn't stand a chance!

PA Dad

Based on what I've read on Hootens and in Intelligentsia's posts I'd say Batesville is the favorite in 5A this year and should be in the title game.

Intelligentsia

You'all will laugh me off FB if the Pioneers start 0 and 3:). I'm very optimistic, but it may be a case of "irrational exuberance":)

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 19, 2015, 08:38:26 pm
You'all will laugh me off FB if the Pioneers start 0 and 3:). I'm very optimistic, but it may be a case of "irrational exuberance":)

I suspect Batesville will do just fine.  And there would be something wrong with you if you weren't optimistic about your team's chances at this time of the year.

#1jacketfan

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 19, 2015, 07:02:07 pm

Remember, the same PA team that beat Batesville last year also embarrassed Wynne in the title game.  Hopefully Wynne can finish behind Batesville in the conference again and have another "moral" victory by making it to the title game.
If you really think they embarrassed us last year, your more of an idiot than I thought you were!

walkingguy72396

2014-11-28 Batesville  lost to PA, 42 - 25       
2014-12-06 Wynne Lost. W, 38 - 28

Totally Blown out.  Which team has the better point margin.

I guess I need help with which team was humiliated the most.

MDXPHD

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on August 20, 2015, 12:15:00 pm
2014-11-28 Batesville  lost to PA, 42 - 25       
2014-12-06 Wynne Lost. W, 38 - 28

Totally Blown out.  Which team has the better point margin.

I guess I need help with which team was humiliated the most.

Well, this is awkward. I didn't say who lost by the most points...but, since you're living in last year, we might as well compare head to head right? Especially at your home field.

2014-10-17 Batesville at Wynne W, 34 - 28

Uncle Ivan

August 20, 2015, 01:20:43 pm #19 Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:22:46 pm by Uncle Ivan

A ten point loss that swing on a touchdown being taken away by poor officiating does not equal "embarrassed".

Which is how Batesville was awarded last year's game - touchdowns being taken away on bad, if not out and out, corrupt calls.

The refs should've been taken out back and shot.

PA Dad

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on August 20, 2015, 01:20:43 pm

A ten point loss that swing on a touchdown being taken away by poor officiating does not equal "embarrassed".

Which is how Batesville was awarded last year's game - touchdowns being taken away on bad, if not out and out, corrupt calls.

Why are you so mealy mouthed?  I think you should just come out and really tell us what you think!

MDXPHD

Ivan, it's okay that Wynne was the third best team last year. You can be happy with that instead of blaming both of your losses on the refs, which is pitiful.

GuvHog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on August 20, 2015, 01:20:43 pm

Wynne isn't the only team that has happened to. I remember watching WC get totally screwed out of an OT win over Monticello back in the late 90's. The Refs actually did a good job during regulation play (credit where credit is due) but the completely fell apart in Overtime. I can understand a missed call but those refs cluster screwed the entire OT period. The WC administration and coaches raised some serious Cain about it to the AAA but it fell on deaf ears.

walkingguy72396

I observed two really exciting football games. 
So that's a winner for me.

Batesville VS Wynne
PA VS Wynne

Intelligentsia

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on August 20, 2015, 03:58:48 pm
I observed two really exciting football games. 
So that's a winner for me.

Batesville VS Wynne
PA VS Wynne

Well said.  Three pretty descent teams with a couple of good games.  I'm looking forward to another great season from these three and to the matchups between P.A./Wynne and Wynne/Batesville.  How about we look forward instead of rehashing old injustices.  Back to the thread, can the Pioneers win the big prize - at this early point I would say their chances are as good as any of the top half dozen teams.

PA Dad

How about the South and West?  Does any team in those conferences have a legitimate shot at being in the final?

It seems to me that PA, Batesville and Wynne get most of the attention.  A team from the South or West may surprise us.

wing

Quote from: PA Dad on August 20, 2015, 10:14:31 pm
How about the South and West?  Does any team in those conferences have a legitimate shot at being in the final?

It seems to me that PA, Batesville and Wynne get most of the attention.  A team from the South or West may surprise us.

PA, Batesville and Wynne are and should be getting the most attention, but I wouldn't go to sleep on CF just yet. I guess after a very sub-par 8-4 season everyone has written the Cardinals off. I kinda like it. Hot Springs should be a force this year.

#1jacketfan

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 20, 2015, 01:58:12 pm
Ivan, it's okay that Wynne was the third best team last year. You can be happy with that instead of blaming both of your losses on the refs, which is pitiful.
Hey Ivan...its OK bro....don't worry about the refs....in the end the two best teams in 5A went to the title game...and the Pioneers were at home on the couch....pitiful!

Intelligentsia

Quote from: #1jacketfan on August 21, 2015, 09:10:31 am
Hey Ivan...its OK bro....don't worry about the refs....in the end the two best teams in 5A went to the title game...and the Pioneers were at home on the couch....pitiful!

Wynne has the hardware to prove a second place finish.  Should'a, could'a, could'a won't change that.  The Pioneers had a great season, put out by the eventual champion in their home field.  Not pitiful in my opinion.  Now onto this year, what about the P.A. Wynne matchup?

PA Dad

Quote from: wing on August 21, 2015, 08:56:58 am

PA, Batesville and Wynne are and should be getting the most attention, but I wouldn't go to sleep on CF just yet. I guess after a very sub-par 8-4 season everyone has written the Cardinals off. I kinda like it. Hot Springs should be a force this year.

Flying under the radar has its advantages.

C-Mac 73

My first thought is they will blow Wynne out at home to easily win the 5A East. Then they will either win state or lose to PA in the semi's or WMS. I haven't looked at the playoff matchups... anybody know? This is pretty basic, but realistically is there anybody else in 5A who can challenge Batesville? Wynne in a rematch maybe. I don't know as much about this year's team as I haven't followed very closely but these are just my guesses based on the way things usually go. I would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me. Preferably Intelligentsia or someone close to the program... not some weirdo from Wynne.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 21, 2015, 09:25:41 am
Quote from: #1jacketfan on August 21, 2015, 09:10:31 am

Wynne has the hardware to prove a second place finish.  Should'a, could'a, could'a won't change that.  The Pioneers had a great season, put out by the eventual champion in their home field.  Not pitiful in my opinion.  Now onto this year, what about the P.A. Wynne matchup?

I want to see what PA and Wynne do in their first games before I opine on their game.  But, regardless of what happens in game 1, I expect a hard fought contest that will be fun for the fans to watch.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

The jury is still out on the West teams.  I don't know if there is any team that will make a deep run like Maumelle did last year.  I know Greenbrier and Harrison have a lot of starters to replace, and Harrison and Maumelle have new coaches.  I've heard Vilonia has good numbers out this year and should be competitive.  I think LRCA and Greenbrier will be the teams to beat.  Morrilton will be tough if their skill guys can stay healthy.  And that's kind of how Maumelle is.  We'll depend heavily on DJ (wide receiver transfer from Conway who was their leading receiver last year) and Acklin (RB) on offense, and we're replacing a ton of starters on defense.  We'll be competitive just because we're so athletic.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Coach Thrash can do with the offense.  I'm also looking forward to another year in the wild, wild west.  It's gonna be fun.

GuvHog

I wouldn't write Watson Chapel off if I were you. They'll probably lose the first 2 games this year but those may be the only 2 regular season losses they'll have this season.

PA Dad

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2015, 11:57:23 am

I wouldn't write Watson Chapel off if I were you. They'll probably lose the first 2 games this year but those may be the only 2 regular season losses they'll have this season.

I'm not writing anyone off this early.  I look for Watson Chapel to give Batesville all they want in game one.

Burks

August 21, 2015, 07:34:38 pm #35 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:38:55 pm by Burks
A team that no one is talking about is Hot Springs. Cleo Floyd is the best back in all of 5A, also returning their best lineman. Troy is the sleeper 5A better watch. I think Wynne was hit too hard by Graduation to have the same success as last season and I like Batesville chances to reach the title game if the Pioneers can play all their playoff games at home.

Overdahill

LH game should give an early indication on Hot Springs

Intelligentsia

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on August 21, 2015, 09:55:59 am
My first thought is they will blow Wynne out at home to easily win the 5A East. Then they will either win state or lose to PA in the semi's or WMS. I haven't looked at the playoff matchups... anybody know? This is pretty basic, but realistically is there anybody else in 5A who can challenge Batesville? Wynne in a rematch maybe. I don't know as much about this year's team as I haven't followed very closely but these are just my guesses based on the way things usually go. I would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me. Preferably Intelligentsia or someone close to the program... not some weirdo from Wynne.
C-mac,
Batesville should be solid, even after losing some key players to graduation.  Line play on both sides of the ball should be very good, very good skill players, and well coached, as usual the past 15 years.  The kicking game took a big hit.  There is something to say about the confidence and morale boost feeling that by reaching the 25 yard line your team was about to put points on the board.  As i do each year I site secondary defense as a possible difficulty, but it usually turns out O.K.  It seems Coach Smith usually figures out a way to keep the other team from putting up big numbers, though pressure on the QB is the default position.  We certainly have a few defenders that know how, and love to hit really hard.  This will actually be a young team with many juniors in key positions, so that is a question, as well.  All things considered, this should be a solid team with a very good chance to make the semis and a descent chance to make it back to the big game.

PA Dad

Quote from: Burks on August 21, 2015, 07:34:38 pm
A team that no one is talking about is Hot Springs. Cleo Floyd is the best back in all of 5A, also returning their best lineman. Troy is the sleeper 5A better watch. I think Wynne was hit too hard by Graduation to have the same success as last season and I like Batesville chances to reach the title game if the Pioneers can play all their playoff games at home.

I cited Hot Springs as a sleeper in an earlier post.  The South and West may well be the most interesting conferences to watch this year.  I think both have more than two teams who may compete for state.

PA Dad

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on August 21, 2015, 11:35:24 am

The jury is still out on the West teams.  I don't know if there is any team that will make a deep run like Maumelle did last year.  I know Greenbrier and Harrison have a lot of starters to replace, and Harrison and Maumelle have new coaches.  I've heard Vilonia has good numbers out this year and should be competitive.  I think LRCA and Greenbrier will be the teams to beat.  Morrilton will be tough if their skill guys can stay healthy.  And that's kind of how Maumelle is.  We'll depend heavily on DJ (wide receiver transfer from Conway who was their leading receiver last year) and Acklin (RB) on offense, and we're replacing a ton of starters on defense.  We'll be competitive just because we're so athletic.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Coach Thrash can do with the offense.  I'm also looking forward to another year in the wild, wild west.  It's gonna be fun.

I have Maumelle at number 4 in my top 10.  That is based primarily on what they did last year. I also understand from what I've read that you have some good athletes this year.

I think the West will indeed be wild this year.  4 or 5 teams may have a chance to take that conference.  It will be fun to watch.

Grond

There certainly may be other scenarios, but it seems the question for the moment is "How can Batesville beat Pulaski Academy?"

Wynne DID have some success against PA. The Yellowjackets found that you MUST put pressure on the PA QB. Wynne also had success running the ball, but they just would not abandon their passing game.

It is interesting to note that, in college ball, the gunslinger Oregon was trampled by the running Ohio State. The same thing happened in D2 football, where Ouachita Baptist used its running game to defeat the gunslinger Henderson State.

I think Batesville will use its running game (ie, o-line) and aggressive defense (ie, take pressure off DB's) to make their play-off run. The Batesville coaches are smart enough to figure that out.

PA is going to have another great team,but they have a very athletic sophomore QB. That usually means a QB that has to be taught how to think his way out of bad situations, when his instinct is to rely on athleticism.

PA Dad

Quote from: Grond on August 22, 2015, 03:09:30 pm
There certainly may be other scenarios, but it seems the question for the moment is "How can Batesville beat Pulaski Academy?"

Wynne DID have some success against PA. The Yellowjackets found that you MUST put pressure on the PA QB. Wynne also had success running the ball, but they just would not abandon their passing game.

It is interesting to note that, in college ball, the gunslinger Oregon was trampled by the running Ohio State. The same thing happened in D2 football, where Ouachita Baptist used its running game to defeat the gunslinger Henderson State.

I think Batesville will use its running game (ie, o-line) and aggressive defense (ie, take pressure off DB's) to make their play-off run. The Batesville coaches are smart enough to figure that out.

PA is going to have another great team,but they have a very athletic sophomore QB. That usually means a QB that has to be taught how to think his way out of bad situations, when his instinct is to rely on athleticism.

Good analysis.  Sounds like a typical PA/Batesville matchup.

I agree that the young quarterback will have to learn to make good decisions.  That's what concerns me most about the offense this year.  But, he has run Kelley's offense for several years.  He is a bright guy.  The real question is how quickly he can adjust to high school ball.

Overdahill

If it the same young guy I remember from wresting gyms a while back, he will be tough as nails physically and mentally

PA Dad

Quote from: Overdahill on August 22, 2015, 03:40:43 pm
If it the same young guy I remember from wresting gyms a while back, he will be tough as nails physically and mentally

That's the guy.  He won the state wrestling championship as a freshman.

Intelligentsia

To answer your question, Grond, to beat P.A. you have to control the ball with sustained drives, pressure the QB, recover the onside kick and make them pay when they give you a short field.  All the things Batesville did when winning handily two years ago at P.A.  Batesville's young defenders last year were not able to put the pressure on and the young O-Line could not support the long drives.  Our best (and likely only) chance last year rested on a QB who rested in the hospital most of the second half.  New year, new hope!!

Overdahill

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 22, 2015, 11:32:48 pm
To answer your question, Grond, to beat P.A. you have to control the ball with sustained drives, pressure the QB, recover the onside kick and make them pay when they give you a short field.  All the things Batesville did when winning handily two years ago at P.A.  Batesville's young defenders last year were not able to put the pressure on and the young O-Line could not support the long drives.  Our best (and likely only) chance last year rested on a QB who rested in the hospital most of the second half.  New year, new hope!!

Not 100% sure but I think PA had a few turnovers that night as well

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Overdahill on August 23, 2015, 07:58:08 am
Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 22, 2015, 11:32:48 pm

Not 100% sure but I think PA had a few turnovers that night as well

Yes, they did, forced by a very disruptive defense pressuring the QB.  Not only did Batesville have a young defensive line and linebackers last year, PA's O-Line played quite well.  If I recall correctly, I gave them credit for the win last year; by providing the QB ample time, he was able to select the best pass option.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas