• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pioneers

Started by Intelligentsia, August 14, 2015, 03:37:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Intelligentsia

August 14, 2015, 03:37:11 pm Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:02:15 pm by Intelligentsia
Just saw a post on Facebook about one of our offensive lineman who has shaped up over the summer.  The 6' 280 lb junior is just one of 8 or 9 kids who may see Friday night action, making this one of the deepest O-Lines the Pioneers have had.  With very strong QB who can run, the state champion triple jump champion at tailback, who started every game last year, and two other strong backs who played and improved throughout the year, the Pioneers' ground game shows great promise.  The QB also has a very good arm, with two speedster receivers and a 6'7" tight end, so the run won't be the only threat.  This mix looks great after last year's team which was very dependent on a very athletic QB.  Back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust until the opposing team throws everyone in the box and then King will not be afraid to put it in the air.  This should be a lot of fun!!!!

Overdahill

Watson Chapel opener should give a good indication. Whether WC hangs or not

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Overdahill on August 14, 2015, 03:53:28 pm

I'll stick with my 14 point win prediction for the Pioneers.  Coach King / Smith seem to do a fair amount of tweaking the first couple of games, especially on defense.  That combined with what appears to be a very athletic WC team, should make for a good first game matchup. Can't wait!

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 14, 2015, 03:37:11 pm
Just saw a post on Facebook about one of our offensive lineman who has shaped up over the summer.  The 6' 280 lb junior is just one of 8 or 9 kids who may see Friday night action, making this one of the deepest O-Lines the Pioneers have had.  With very strong QB who can run, the state champion triple jump champion at tailback, who started every game last year, and two other strong backs who played and improved throughout the year, the Pioneers' ground game shows great promise.  The QB also has a very good arm, with two speedster receivers and a 6'7" tight end, so the run won't be the only threat.  This mix looks great after last year's team which was very dependent on a very athletic QB.  Back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust until the opposing team throws everyone in the box and then King will not be afraid to put it in the air.  This should be a lot of fun!!!!

As I said on another thread, I think Batesville should be ranked No. 1 in 5A.  It sounds like ya'll are loaded.  But, of course, I'll continue to vote PA No. 1 unless and until someone knocks them off.

I think it is going to be a very interesting season.

Grond

While all this offensive line stuff sounds great, let me take a moment to interrupt your visions of "300". ("This is madness!" "This is Batesville!)

So, where did this o-line come from? Because Batesville didn't have it last year.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Grond on August 14, 2015, 10:43:04 pm
While all this offensive line stuff sounds great, let me take a moment to interrupt your visions of "300". ("This is madness!" "This is Batesville!)

So, where did this o-line come from? Because Batesville didn't have it last year.

They lost one senior off what was an improving o-line throughout the year.  An added strength is the number of quality reserves that will be available.  Time will tell, but I'm obviously optimistic.  BTW, I don't understand your reference to " visions of 300."

The_Pioneer

The Friends of the Pioneers bought them all a yearly pass to Anytime Fitness.

GuvHog

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 14, 2015, 05:00:33 pm
Quote from: Overdahill on August 14, 2015, 03:53:28 pm

I'll stick with my 14 point win prediction for the Pioneers.  Coach King / Smith seem to do a fair amount of tweaking the first couple of games, especially on defense.  That combined with what appears to be a very athletic WC team, should make for a good first game matchup. Can't wait!

Not only is Watson Chapel very athletic this year, for the first time since moving down to 5A they actually have some size up front on both sides of the ball to go with their speed and quickness.

Intelligentsia

Will you make the trip to Batesville, GovHog?  I made it to WC last year - ate a a friendly catfish place between the interstate and school.

Grond

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 15, 2015, 01:55:29 am
Quote from: Grond on August 14, 2015, 10:43:04 pm
While all this offensive line stuff sounds great, let me take a moment to interrupt your visions of "300". ("This is madness!" "This is Batesville!")

They lost one senior off what was an improving o-line throughout the year.  An added strength is the number of quality reserves that will be available.  Time will tell, but I'm obviously optimistic.  BTW, I don't understand your reference to " visions of 300."

I am referring to the movie "300", about the Spartans battling the Persians. The Spartans were the best warriors of their time (around 500 BC?), fanatical about the tactics and techniques of warfare. There is a scene in the movie where a Persian diplomat insults the Spartan king, so the king has him killed. The Persian diplomat, expecting diplomatic immunity, cries out "This is madness!" The king yells, "This is Sparta!" and kills him.

The movie scenes of Spartan soldiers standing shoulder-to-shoulder (which is accurate) look like our modern offensive line. Batesville is fanatical about football, and I was comparing you guys to Sparta.

Being from Paragould, I tend to watch what Batesville does because I think Batesville does the most with the talent it has. Wynne is the other powerhouse in the 5A East, but their success seems more dependent on the talent they have available.

But don't misunderstand my allegiance; I'd give my left arm for us to beat you guys. And if a WR hadn't lined up on the line, we might have beat you guys last year. [Paragould had a passing TD called back because a WR lined up on the line, making the Tightend, who caught the TD pass, ineligible. And the game was AT Paragould; we get NO HELP from our local officials.]

Depth at the o-line is good. That was one of Paragould's problems last year. (One of our many problems....)

Intelligentsia

As I think I've mentioned before, Paragould played very well in the last Pioneer/Ram meeting.  The QB and small running back wore out the Pioneer defense; quite a learning experience for the Pioneers.  Yes, Coach King does like a dominant O-Line and O-Line Coach Rhodes, a 30+ year veteran coach, does a great job with the young men - a fine Christian man who gets the most out of his players.

GuvHog

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 15, 2015, 11:40:38 am
Will you make the trip to Batesville, GovHog?  I made it to WC last year - ate a a friendly catfish place between the interstate and school.

I'm considering making the trip.

The place you are referring to is Leon's but there is a place across the street next to the Fast Mart station named Ann's and believe it or not their Catfish is better. They have it as a food bar idem on Fridays.

WoodenBat

who is the qb for the Pioneers?

Intelligentsia

Quote from: WoodenBat on August 15, 2015, 02:40:49 pm
who is the qb for the Pioneers?

The Pioneer QB will be Zack Griffin, a very athletic 6'2"+ Jr.  He played JV QB last year, and started on defense all last year in the safety "hero" position.  He is strong, a fast north-south runner (actually competed well in the 100 M. Dash in track), and has a good arm.  He led the Jr. High to an undefeated season a couple of years ago.  He's bright and confident enough to lead.  I doubt Coach King runs him a lot, but he has the speed to take advantage of an opening.  The only bad thing about him playing QB is losing him on defense, though in situations it would not surprise me to see him on the field at safety.

NEASPORTSFAN

He was awful all night. Then led back to back drives to win the game...it was like a different kid the last 5 minutes from the rest of the game. Tim Tewbowish. I hope he continues to improve. He grew up there a lot at the end of the game. Kudos to him and the rest of the pioneers. Tremendous comeback!

Intelligentsia

September 05, 2015, 05:28:17 am #15 Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:40:14 am by Intelligentsia
 ::)
Quote from: phstiger on September 05, 2015, 12:39:15 am
He was awful all night. Then led back to back drives to win the game...it was like a different kid the last 5 minutes from the rest of the game. Tim Tewbowish. I hope he continues to improve. He grew up there a lot at the end of the game. Kudos to him and the rest of the pioneers. Tremendous comeback!

A fair dose of first game nerves.  The WC QB is quite a good athlete; good arm and a strong runner.  When the Pioneers brought the blitz, he completed some very nice quick passes, one of the best of which came on the final TD drive; he knew he was going to get nailed after the release but still delivered a very nice pass.  I hope WC has a great year and hope, as well, for a rematch to provide a bit of a post-test for both teams. 

BTW, following the game, one  of our fans observed your very fine tailback, #21,  demonstrating exceptional class in the sincere manner in which he congratulated Pioneer players.  Great to see this type of behavior, especially from a young man who gave such an exhausting effort in a tough loss. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas