• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should batesville move to 6a?

Started by YELLOWJACKETS20, July 22, 2015, 04:13:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Pioneer

I'm sure they have some of the same type of problems getting people to play as we do, travel.  Bigger teams don't want to make the drive typically. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 31, 2015, 04:31:55 pm
Until JC does some serious upgrading to thier schedule no way should they ever be considered as being able to compete with 7A, 6A, 5A or even 4A best teams! It's near impossible to judge how good JC is playing against the level of competition they play against. Just because you can blow out teams with less than 30 players on their rosters doesn't mean you can beat Bentonville! That's not a knock on JC other than they need to prove it on the field or at least provide a better gauge of how good their team is than is than beating Hazen.
I understand your position on the topic. Perhaps I was assuming a little bit, but I thought that a decent amount of people were well aware that JC has attempted to schedule larger schools and has been rejected. Maybe that info isn't as much of a public knowledge case as I thought though. When you think about it, it makes sense why some of the larger schools would reject an invitation to play a team a couple classifications smaller with the success JC has been having. Maybe some of the people who posted on this should take a look at their schedule the last few years. They have serious trouble scheduling 10 games in the regular season because so many people refuse to play them. JC is not a school that I am a huge fan of, primarily because its getting old seeing the level of success they are experiencing, but I will say this, they have earned it. That program is one that deserves an immense amount of respect. I am glad Smackover agreed to schedule them. It has given JC a better non-con opponent and Smackover ended up being pretty dang good last year. All I am trying to say is that it is tough for JC to "prove" themselves against bigger schools when most of them are honestly too scared to play them. The bigger schools have more to lose in that situation.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Wonderdog09 on July 31, 2015, 08:43:17 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on July 31, 2015, 04:31:55 pm
Until JC does some serious upgrading to thier schedule no way should they ever be considered as being able to compete with 7A, 6A, 5A or even 4A best teams! It's near impossible to judge how good JC is playing against the level of competition they play against. Just because you can blow out teams with less than 30 players on their rosters doesn't mean you can beat Bentonville! That's not a knock on JC other than they need to prove it on the field or at least provide a better gauge of how good their team is than is than beating Hazen.
I understand your position on the topic. Perhaps I was assuming a little bit, but I thought that a decent amount of people were well aware that JC has attempted to schedule larger schools and has been rejected. Maybe that info isn't as much of a public knowledge case as I thought though. When you think about it, it makes sense why some of the larger schools would reject an invitation to play a team a couple classifications smaller with the success JC has been having. Maybe some of the people who posted on this should take a look at their schedule the last few years. They have serious trouble scheduling 10 games in the regular season because so many people refuse to play them. JC is not a school that I am a huge fan of, primarily because its getting old seeing the level of success they are experiencing, but I will say this, they have earned it. That program is one that deserves an immense amount of respect. I am glad Smackover agreed to schedule them. It has given JC a better non-con opponent and Smackover ended up being pretty dang good last year. All I am trying to say is that it is tough for JC to "prove" themselves against bigger schools when most of them are honestly too scared to play them. The bigger schools have more to lose in that situation.

I agree it's probably hard for them to get the big schools to play them but bottom line until they face some tougher competition....they could beat everyone on their schedule by 40 pts (which they nearly do) and I still say your better larger schools beats the heck out of them.

Razorback Red

JC is a great program.  I don't think anyone is disputing that.  They had a phenomenal team last year and won state.  That is something to be proud of.

IMO, they probably had the athletes to complete with any of the 3A schools and most of the 4A schools (might be a couple of exceptions).  They might even hang with lower-tier 5A schools, but the PA's and Batesville's of the world would beat them soundly.  Get above 5A and it wouldn't be fair.  PB, GW, Benton, ED last year would have all mercy-ruled them.  Just too many athletes and big lineman to contend with. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: Razorback Red on July 31, 2015, 10:45:26 pm
JC is a great program.  I don't think anyone is disputing that.  They had a phenomenal team last year and won state.  That is something to be proud of.

IMO, they probably had the athletes to complete with any of the 3A schools and most of the 4A schools (might be a couple of exceptions).  They might even hang with lower-tier 5A schools, but the PA's and Batesville's of the world would beat them soundly.  Get above 5A and it wouldn't be fair.  PB, GW, Benton, ED last year would have all mercy-ruled them.  Just too many athletes and big lineman to contend with.
I understand your position as well, but don't tell me that you honestly believe the 2014 dragons would lose to: LR Hall, Sheridan, Mountain Home, Marion.

Razorback Red

July 31, 2015, 11:17:57 pm #55 Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:27:53 pm by Razorback Red
Quote from: Wonderdog09 on July 31, 2015, 11:07:27 pm
Quote from: Razorback Red on July 31, 2015, 10:45:26 pm

I understand your position as well, but don't tell me that you honestly believe the 2014 dragons would lose to: LR Hall, Sheridan, Mountain Home, Marion.

Not sure I know enough about the lower-tier 6A schools to have an educated opinion.  The only 6A teams I ever see play are Siloam Springs and occasionally Alma, and they would both beat JC IMO.  I didn't specify, but I was trying to compare them to the elite 6A programs above.  Would be interesting to hear what some of the 6A posters think.  As for 7A, I do feel fairly confident that all 16 of them would have beat JC last year.  That's not a knock on JC, just a fact that 7A programs have more athletes, coaches, facilities, etc.  Last year was prob a rare example when a team like JC could jump multiple classifications and potentially compete. 

I think this conversation changes when you get to elite 4A programs.  They have enough athletes to hang better.  Last year I watched Warren hang with Southside for 3Q's, but the size and strength of more good athletes won it in the 4Q. 

None of us will ever know, but when you jump up more than 2 classes, it gets tough at any level.  Take Batesville as an example.  They are a fantastic 5A program that could probably beat a number of 6A teams and maybe a few 7A teams.  The elite 7A teams, no way.  They would get beat soundly. 

Razorback Red

These discussions regarding classifications are fun, but really don't mean a whole lot unless the AAA would eventually add in a plus 1 game:

I know we will never have an overall champ, but I think it would be fun if:

2A champ played 3A champ as a plus 1
4A champ played 5A champ as a plus 1
6A champ played 7A champ as a plus 1

Just think how good last year's matchups would have been with JC vs Charleston, Warren vs PA and PB vs Bentonville. 

Intelligentsia

As shown by Batesville's multi-year series with what has been a very good Jonesboro program during that time, Batesville can compete, but they have came up a bit short on the scoreboard each year.  Jumping two classifications to play what was a middling Springdale team for two years, shows how difficult it is to play teams    from schools 3 or 4 times your size.  The smaller school team with several exceptional athletes may keep up for two, may three quarters, but the 4th quarter will swing the bigger schools direction, much of the time in a route.

FD4

zeb, got to agree about the schedule, you need to always play a 10 game season.  As I stated before, I think they or Bearden one played the El Dorado JV team last season.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Razorback Red on July 31, 2015, 11:35:49 pm
These discussions regarding classifications are fun, but really don't mean a whole lot unless the AAA would eventually add in a plus 1 game:

Just think how good last year's matchups would have been with JC vs Charleston, Warren vs PA and PB vs Bentonville.

Warren played PA last year and got beat 50-21.

HeberFan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 03, 2015, 11:04:13 am

Warren did not play well that game... the Lumberjacks peaked late.

PA Dad

Quote from: HeberFan on August 04, 2015, 04:14:50 pm

Does that mean you are picking Warren to beat PA this year?

HeberFan

Nope.  Warren lost a ton of starters and will take a while to get in sync this year. Believe that if Warren and PA had met later in the season last year the game would have been much closer.

Quote from: PA Dad on August 04, 2015, 04:34:13 pm

Does that mean you are picking Warren to beat PA this year?

MDXPHD

Lol, so did PA. did it ever occur to you that Warren didn't play well because PA was just that much better? Poor 4a supporters...living in denial.

HeberFan

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 05, 2015, 01:16:10 pm

Lol, so did PA. did it ever occur to you that Warren didn't play well because PA was just that much better? Poor 4a supporters...living in denial.

Not living in denial. Just realize that some weeks a team is flat and other weeks they are hot. Have you never played or watched sports before ?

PA Dad

Quote from: HeberFan on August 17, 2015, 09:06:32 pm

Not living in denial. Just realize that some weeks a team is flat and other weeks they are hot. Have you never played or watched sports before ?

So do you think Warren will have a good week this year and beat PA?

HeberFan

Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2015, 09:31:17 pm
Quote from: HeberFan on August 17, 2015, 09:06:32 pm

So do you think Warren will have a good week this year and beat PA?

My guess is no. Warren graduated a lot of good seniors last year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas