• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sleepers

Started by PA Dad, July 03, 2015, 03:45:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

Which team or teams will surprise us this year?  Who do you think might challenge PA, Wynne and Batesville for the state championship?

Nearly every year there is a team that is much better than expected.  I'd put Beebe in that category last year.

I think Hot Springs will be in that category this year.

AT

Is Maumelle considered a sleeper. Perhaps Little Rock Christian and Greenbrier.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on July 03, 2015, 04:04:32 pm
Is Maumelle considered a sleeper. Perhaps Little Rock Christian and Greenbrier.

I think Maumelle  and Greenbrier are in the preseason top 10 so I wouldn't consider them sleepers, but I think LRC qualifies.

The Future

I saw where Hootens has Beebe at number 3. They did real well last year. If they can build on it, there could be your top sleeper.
Hot Springs could be in that spot. Harrison too.

I wouldn't really call Maumelle a sleeper. Last year they were a shock. This year they will either contend for conference again or they will dud out.

Hootens top 10:
PA
Batesville
Beebe
Hot Springs
LR Christian
Camden
Wynne
Maumelle
Watson Chapel
Morrilton

They have LRC, Chapel, PA, and Batesville as the conference champs in the coaches polls

PA Dad

I have not seen Hootens top 10.  Based on that, I guess my "sleeper" is not a sleeper at all.

PA Dad

Quote from: The Future on July 03, 2015, 04:17:15 pm
I saw where Hootens has Beebe at number 3. They did real well last year. If they can build on it, there could be your top sleeper.

I wouldn't really call Maumelle a sleeper. Last year they were a shock. This year they will either contend for conference again or they will dud out.

Hootens top 10:
PA
Batesville
Beebe
Hot Springs
LR Christian
Camden
Wynne
Maumelle
Watson Chapel
Morrilton

They have LRC, Chapel, PA, and Batesville as the conference champs in the coaches polls

I'm surprised that Wynne is 7th.  Everything I've seen indicates that they will have another very good team this year.

The Future

I was shocked at that too. That many teams over Wynne seems not right.

I know returning vs graduating starters plays a huge role in their picks. But even still Wynne should be no lower than 4 IMO

PA Dad

There is a significant difference between Hooten's top 10 and the FF top 10.  It will be interesting to see who did better at the end of the year.  Maybe we'll do better than the "experts!"

MDXPHD

July 03, 2015, 04:47:35 pm #8 Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:52:41 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: PA Dad on July 03, 2015, 04:41:16 pm
There is a significant difference between Hooten's top 10 and the FF top 10.  It will be interesting to see who did better at the end of the year.  Maybe we'll do better than the "experts!"

That's because Hooten's has no clue what they are doing. We will definitely do better than the experts choose. They always want PA first though, you can count on that.

Beebe will not be a sleeper; they won't challenge any of the good teams. They lost to Wynne by 7, so that can be a moral victory. But they didn't beat a good team all season.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 03, 2015, 04:47:35 pm

That's because Hooten's has no clue what they are doing. We will definitely do better than the experts choose. They always want PA first though, you can count on that.

They may put PA first because PA is the best!

I really don't know how good PA will be this year, but it's hard not to rank last year's champ number 1.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 03, 2015, 04:50:37 pm

They may put PA first because PA has the most money !

I really don't know how good PA will be this year, but it's hard not to rank last year's champ number 1.

Fixed that. 

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 03, 2015, 04:53:29 pm

Fixed that.

I like that.  As I recall, you like slaps more than claps, but I'll give you either!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 03, 2015, 04:57:06 pm

Fixed that.

I like that.  As I recall, you like slaps more than claps, but I'll give you either!

You know either is always welcome!

Really, PA should be number 1. I agree with you and Hootens on that.

I think Maumelle could compete, but they wouldn't be considered a sleeper. I have no idea who could surprise some people...but that's good because if we all knew who a sleeper could be, are they really a sleeper?

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 03, 2015, 05:18:20 pm

Fixed that.

I think Maumelle could compete, but they wouldn't be considered a sleeper. I have no idea who could surprise some people...but that's good because if we all knew who a sleeper could be, are they really a sleeper?

You spoil the fun!  Surely you can make a guess.

HorseFeathers

Fixed that.

N. Pulaski could surpise people............By fielding a team?

PA Dad

Quote from: HF on July 03, 2015, 07:45:29 pm

Fixed that.

N. Pulaski could surpise people............By fielding a team?

+1

Intelligentsia

Blytheville and Greenbrier

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on July 03, 2015, 08:56:28 pm
Blytheville and Greenbrier

I'll give you Blytheville as a sleeper .  But Greenbrier is in the FF top 10 so I'm not sure they are a sleeper.

PA Dad

How about Hope?  Didn't you have them in your top 10?

MDXPHD

I say Hot Springs. I have no reason, but I like them better than any of the other terrible teams.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 03, 2015, 09:41:52 pm
I say Hot Springs. I have no reason, but I like them better than any of the other terrible teams.

That was my choice too.  But they are in Hootens top 10 so I don't know if they are a sleeper.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 03, 2015, 09:57:10 pm

That was my choice too.  But they are in Hootens top 10 so I don't know if they are a sleeper.

Hootens doesn't count.

I think Wynne is a sleeper team. They may sneak up on Batesville and actually beat them to win conference. Seems unlikely though.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 03, 2015, 11:25:25 pm

Hootens doesn't count.

I think Wynne is a sleeper team. They may sneak up on Batesville and actually beat them to win conference. Seems unlikely though.

Ok.  If Wynne is a sleeper so is PA.  PA is my sleeper pick.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: PA Dad on July 03, 2015, 09:15:51 pm
How about Hope?  Didn't you have them in your top 10?

Naw, just put 'em there so I could say the rest of you'all were Hopeless - didn't get so much as a slap for the joke!

Intelligentsia

Hootens doesn't count.

Batesville's Home advantage should make the difference, but there is a lot of time between now and that game.  A key injury or an off night and it could easily go the other way.  The Pioneers were not supposed to win at Wynne last year and they did ( though I really wish they hadn't).

GuvHog

Quote from: The Future on July 03, 2015, 04:17:15 pm

Hootens top 10:
PA
Batesville
Beebe
Hot Springs
LR Christian
Camden
Wynne
Maumelle
Watson Chapel
Morrilton

The individual conference polls are coaches polls, they are not Hooten's picks.

I must say though that I was surprised to see the coaches pick Watson Chapel to win the South and Camden Fairview to finish 3rd.

tmycjy

Quote from: PA Dad on July 03, 2015, 03:45:37 pm
Which team or teams will surprise us this year?  Who do you think might challenge PA, Wynne and Batesville for the state championship?

Nearly every year there is a team that is much better than expected.  I'd put Beebe in that category last year.

I say it could be Watson  chapel to maybe sylvan Hills if sylvan Hills can stay healthy they could be the wild card team

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Maumelle will once again be very athletic, but we're also gonna be very young.  We lost a lot of starters on both sides of the ball. The younger guys will have to step up.  Also we have a new coach.  He's gonna get the best out of his players, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Rocko1493

I do not know how many players Jacksonville lost to graduation, but they came to Batesville last year in playoffs and we're impressive.  If I was told right they gained players from consolidation.  That and the success from last year makes them a pssible dangerous sleeper.

wynnefootballfan

If healthy, I think Maumelle, Blythville and and Watson Chapel will need to be played with respect. If thats the case I dont think its a strech to see any of these teams in the second round. As they say, "lots of football to be played"

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Intelligentsia on July 04, 2015, 02:01:03 am

Hootens doesn't count.

Batesville's Home advantage should make the difference, but there is a lot of time between now and that game.  A key injury or an off night and it could easily go the other way.  The Pioneers were not supposed to win at Wynne last year and they did ( though I really wish they hadn't).

That's because Wynne intentionally tanked that game by fixing it with the the refs.

Now you know why the refs were awarding Batesville touchdowns and taking them away from Wynne.  All part of the plan.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 16, 2015, 12:35:30 pm
Quote from: Intelligentsia on July 04, 2015, 02:01:03 am

Hootens doesn't count.

That's because Wynne intentionally tanked that game by fixing it with the the refs.

Now you know why the refs were awarding Batesville touchdowns and taking them away from Wynne.  All part of the plan.

Well Duh!  Obviously!

GuvHog

Quote from: tmycjy on July 04, 2015, 03:49:00 pm

I say it could be Watson  chapel to maybe sylvan Hills if sylvan Hills can stay healthy they could be the wild card team

Coach Dutton is pretty high on his WC Wildcats this season, he believes they have the best chance they've had since dropping to 5A of winning the 5A South.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 17, 2015, 04:52:26 pm

Coach Dutton is pretty high on his WC Wildcats this season, he believes they have the best chance they've had since dropping to 5A of winning the 5A South.

As weak as that conference is, it's a possibility.

GuvHog

July 20, 2015, 10:05:15 am #34 Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:07:27 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 18, 2015, 02:14:27 pm

It's not near as weak as the 5A East is. In that conference there are 2 good teams and 6 teams that want to be good.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: GuvHog on July 20, 2015, 10:05:15 am

It's not near as weak as the 5A East is. In that conference there are 2 good teams and 6 teams that want to be good.

Not evident from last year's playoff results - easily arguably that it was a stronger finish for the East. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: Intelligentsia on July 20, 2015, 11:14:23 am

Not evident from last year's playoff results - easily arguably that it was a stronger finish for the East.
No argument on the stronger finish. I would like to see an E3 vs S3 and E4 vs S4 or vice versa just to see the results. The south will be down this year.

MDXPHD

I guess the only problem with that theory is that there aren't any good teams in the south...

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Since I am no longer coaching 5A, I'll make a post on this. 
I believe Little Rock Christian will win the west and make a deep run.  I have heard good things about Blytheville 's staff and think they may make some noise in the east. I don't know much about the South this year, but have I been on here long enough to go opposite of whatever guvhog says,  especially if he heard it from an inside source! I think Beebe will do well again this year, but I don't know if that qualifies as a sleeper anymore.  Had the opportunity to talk with Tripp Smith from Beebe at a track meet and was impressed with his humbleness. I hope my impression was correct and I wish him the best for an injury free season.

Depending on who steps up to lead PA with Zack Kelley being out and how the sophomore QB comes around, I think we may have a rematch in the finals and I don't think it will look anything like their week 2 match-up. At the same time, never count out Coach King's Pioneers.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wonderdog09 on July 20, 2015, 12:13:00 pm
Quote from: Intelligentsia on July 20, 2015, 11:14:23 am

No argument on the stronger finish. I would like to see an E3 vs S3 and E4 vs S4 or vice versa just to see the results. The south will be down this year.

I agree the East had a strong finish last year but let's be honest, that was an exception to the rule as was the 5A South being down. I'd love to see my High School Alma mater become competitive in the 5A East and they have the size to be competitive but as usual, the speed just isn't there.

PA Dad

I think the East is the strongest conference because of Wynne and Batesville.  But,  once you get past the top two, there is not much to distinguish the conferences.

Intelligentsia

I think Valley View will come on over the next couple years and Nettleton seems to be on the upswing.  Blytheville and Forrest City have great athletes, but they have a hard time turning that into great seasons.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas