• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High school fall ball......yes/no/maybe

Started by BLUEBLOOD, July 13, 2015, 03:37:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEBLOOD

How does your area do high school fall softball workouts?

BLUEBLOOD

Our area schools have volunteer coaches who conduct practices and then we have a month-long league.  The teams each play 2 games/night for a total of 8 fall games.  It's been good for our area teams.  It can't be affiliated with the school or the coach.  We have somewhere around 6-7 schools that compete ranging in classification from 2A-5A.

LowerAR

It is about the same here, except they play on Sat. I think it goes on for about a month usually during Sept. Does get in the way of travel ball some though, but most work through it.

NEASPORTSFAN

I wish AAA would allow 8-10 game fall seasons like some other states do.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: phstiger link=topic=142271.msg3177777#msg3177777 date=1437 137901

That would be like having "spring football"......oh yeah we already allow that!!!  Guess we see where softball fits in the pecking order
;D ;D ;D ;D

Lionheart88

At a lot of schools there wouldn't be much of a team, lots of kids playing volleyball, cheerleading, marching in the band, etc.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Lionheart88 on July 18, 2015, 12:41:25 pm
At a lot of schools there wouldn't be much of a team, lots of kids playing volleyball, cheerleading, marching in the band, etc.

Doesn't have to be mandatory.  Spring sports sometimes interferes with spring football too.  Didn't stop AAA from allowing it.  I'm not arguing, just saying it could be allowed and regulated.  As it is now, you force "volunteers" to coach it (if school participates at all).  Softball (IMO) is the premiere girls' sport at a lot of Arkansas schools and it deserves the same treatment as the other sports. 

LowerAR

The schools that care do put in the effort, even if they have to with hands bound. So many smaller schools just don't have the girls to have some dedicated to softball. I would love to see the sport treated better but it will not happen in my DD's highschool career. One thread complains that we are behind other states then another whines that well rounded girls are what colleges want. I say that AR needs to make up there minds whether they want to be good or not. You complain about the AAA then support your friend the AD or coach who is the AAA. Yes your coach and school are part of the AAA. Some push for the sport while others ride. The AAA is comfortable with the system that is in place and it will not change until forced to do so. I know that what I say will not make a difference, but I do know who is who.   

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: LowerAR on July 21, 2015, 09:42:02 am
The schools that care do put in the effort, even if they have to with hands bound. So many smaller schools just don't have the girls to have some dedicated to softball. I would love to see the sport treated better but it will not happen in my DD's highschool career. One thread complains that we are behind other states then another whines that well rounded girls are what colleges want. I say that AR needs to make up there minds whether they want to be good or not. You complain about the AAA then support your friend the AD or coach who is the AAA. Yes your coach and school are part of the AAA. Some push for the sport while others ride. The AAA is comfortable with the system that is in place and it will not change until forced to do so. I know that what I say will not make a difference, but I do know who is who.

To be clear, I have never said the AAA is perfect or the worst organization ever.  They have a tough job and sometimes they get it right and sometimes they don't (in my opinion which is all I can view things with).  I'm not exactly sure which AD or coach I have defended on this forum, but I do support them ALL.  I don't always agree with their decisions either, but I respect the fact that they have to make decisions.  It goes with the territory. 

As far as the issue of high school fall ball:  I feel like it would better serve the sport and the athletes if it was acknowledged and regulated by the AAA.  That would ensure that qualified & trained coaches were in charge and the athletes would be getting better prepared for spring season.  This would make it "fair & impartial" for everyone involved.  Which is in direct alignment with the purpose of "off season" sports AND the mission of the AAA.

MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the Arkansas Activities Association is to promote the value of participation in interscholastic activities in the AAA member schools and to provide services to the schools in a fair and impartial manner while assisting and supporting their efforts to develop thinking, productive, and prepared individuals as they become positive, contributing citizens modeling the democratic principles of our state and nation.

LowerAR

Whoa, I did not mean to imply that you personally have defended an AD or coach and I will repeat that some are working hard to bring the game to a level that can compete with surrounding states. And I believe you are right when you say that the AAA have a hard job, especially with the current attitude of the AR public. I can get a little preachy sometimes when I talk about the state of AR Highschool Athletics. I don't pay that much attention to who post what. I am sorry if that came out like I was pointing at you. I was speaking generally about this site. You can support whoever you want, I call a spade a spade. If you want to talk about the state of the AR education system and the way teachers are payed compared to administrators including AD's, well let's go. But there is an idea in this state that football is the only thing that matters. Some say it makes the money, others believe because attendance is high at games that it should be placed above all else. I believe that every student athlete deserves the opportunity to play their sport, and be appreciated for their work and commitment. I believe that most honest people would agree that softball would be more agreeable to the Fall. So many reasons that I will not try to name them all; particularly weather and college recruitment, but it will not happen. The only sports that are allowed are volleyball and cross country, which have little to no attendance and fund raising compared to football. I love football and make every game, but really, it does not need protecting. I know that it would hurt cheer squads, heck my DD is a football trainer, and volleyball would need to be moved to the spring, but it would make more sense if it was as many states will attest, then girls could play spring and summer ball where ever they like. Just my opinion; you can have yours.               

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: LowerAR on July 21, 2015, 02:44:16 pm
Whoa, I did not mean to imply that you personally have defended an AD or coach and I will repeat that some are working hard to bring the game to a level that can compete with surrounding states. And I believe you are right when you say that the AAA have a hard job, especially with the current attitude of the AR public. I can get a little preachy sometimes when I talk about the state of AR Highschool Athletics. I don't pay that much attention to who post what. I am sorry if that came out like I was pointing at you. I was speaking generally about this site. You can support whoever you want, I call a spade a spade. If you want to talk about the state of the AR education system and the way teachers are payed compared to administrators including AD's, well let's go. But there is an idea in this state that football is the only thing that matters. Some say it makes the money, others believe because attendance is high at games that it should be placed above all else. I believe that every student athlete deserves the opportunity to play their sport, and be appreciated for their work and commitment. I believe that most honest people would agree that softball would be more agreeable to the Fall. So many reasons that I will not try to name them all; particularly weather and college recruitment, but it will not happen. The only sports that are allowed are volleyball and cross country, which have little to no attendance and fund raising compared to football. I love football and make every game, but really, it does not need protecting. I know that it would hurt cheer squads, heck my DD is a football trainer, and volleyball would need to be moved to the spring, but it would make more sense if it was as many states will attest, then girls could play spring and summer ball where ever they like. Just my opinion; you can have yours.             

Maybe I had my stinger out.  I can agree with pretty much everything you said.  I will also say that I have been privy to the finances in schools and NO SPORTS make money (I'm speaking from a 1A & 2A level).  Sure, football generates more $$ but it also spends more $$.  I don't mind softball regular season in the spring, but the "fall" season (100 degrees out there right now!!) should be recognized.  Just my opinion.  Sorry I took your post in the wrong light.  Preach on!!!

Lionheart88

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on July 20, 2015, 08:44:17 am
Quote from: Lionheart88 on July 18, 2015, 12:41:25 pm

Doesn't have to be mandatory.  Spring sports sometimes interferes with spring football too.  Didn't stop AAA from allowing it.  I'm not arguing, just saying it could be allowed and regulated.  As it is now, you force "volunteers" to coach it (if school participates at all).  Softball (IMO) is the premiere girls' sport at a lot of Arkansas schools and it deserves the same treatment as the other sports.

I think I misunderstood your original post.  When I saw "Fall Ball", I was thinking you meant actual games, the way some college programs do.  I'm all for offseason workouts, I think it'd be great if every sport could run practices all school year.

BLUEBLOOD

I think I misunderstood your original post.  When I saw "Fall Ball", I was thinking you meant actual games, the way some college programs do.  I'm all for offseason workouts, I think it'd be great if every sport could run practices all school year.
[/quote]

My post is to point out that there is an "informal/formal" system in place but it's different for every area.  Small schools don't have the depth of athletes to have a true "fall ball" season.  It would cripple other sports.  I understand that and that's not my wish.  My wish is that it be recognized and regulated so that everyone is on a level playing field.  Allow a certain number of practices (ala spring football) and then a certain number of games.  Allow the school coach to coach it (instead of volunteers).  It would further promote fastpitch in Arkansas.

All just my opinions.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LowerAR

There is a lot of ways that programs could get better. Full time coaches or coach, off season workouts, games against local teams, weight programs, all of these would help the sport. Some might not be able to be implemented, but I feel that anything would help, and some are not that expensive. Let the girls throw 3 times a week and hit off a tee 2 times a week would make most programs get better. Hang a net out back with a few tees, 2 dozen balls is better than nothing. Add a weight program and the sky's the limit. But you are never going level the playing field, some just put more in, then get more out. Forman, however you feel about them, put tons of effort into their program, and it shows.           

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: LowerAR on July 22, 2015, 09:42:08 am
There is a lot of ways that programs could get better. Full time coaches or coach, off season workouts, games against local teams, weight programs, all of these would help the sport. Some might not be able to be implemented, but I feel that anything would help, and some are not that expensive. Let the girls throw 3 times a week and hit off a tee 2 times a week would make most programs get better. Hang a net out back with a few tees, 2 dozen balls is better than nothing. Add a weight program and the sky's the limit. But you are never going level the playing field, some just put more in, then get more out. Forman, however you feel about them, put tons of effort into their program, and it shows.         

I agree:  every little bit helps.  And it doesn't take long to see which teams have put in the extra effort.  I respect Foreman's dedication to softball and nobody can argue with their results.

Sweet

I'm looking for a fall league. I know Hope and Nashville have them. Where else? Central AR area?

LowerAR

I think Maumell and Benton or Bryant play certain weekends. Cabot used to play on weekends also. I haven't been involved in that in a while. Union Co. plays on certain weekends in the south.

pigpen333

most sb coaches also have football coaching duties and we know what drives the bus.

Lionheart88

Quote from: pigpen333 on August 12, 2015, 02:06:06 pm
most sb coaches also have football coaching duties and we know what drives the bus.
I think "most" may be overstating the case there.  Many do, surely, but I'm not sure about "most".

Sportsnutt

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on July 17, 2015, 10:58:00 am

That would be like having "spring football"......oh yeah we already allow that!!!  Guess we see where softball fits in the pecking order
;D ;D ;D ;D

Spring football can not play against other schools so what you have is exactly like football.  Football is actually limited to the number of practices that they can have, softball is not.  Softball can practice all they want in the fall so they actually get more time if they use it. 

LowerAR

August 26, 2015, 09:27:25 am #20 Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:34:07 am by LowerAR
Quote from: Sportsnutt on August 25, 2015, 10:46:03 am
Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on July 17, 2015, 10:58:00 am

;D ;D ;D ;D

Spring football can not play against other schools so what you have is exactly like football.  Football is actually limited to the number of practices that they can have, softball is not.  Softball can practice all they want in the fall so they actually get more time if they use it.
You are so right. The only limitation I can think of is the two week hands off time which sucks for softball, but is understandable. The problem is the schools, parents and community; there are high school teams in the state who play and practice a lot of ball through the summer and fall. I've seen high school coaches working with girls and seeing teams get to tournaments and games. It is real hard to fit time with family, workouts, games and outside interest of girls, coaches and parents with the demands of getting better. A lot is on the parents and the girls themselves. I have seen coaches try to play in the fall and just not get a commitment from their teams. And I have seen coaches not do anything. The point is if you try to do good you will be amazingly frustrated at times. I don't think that there is one solution to the problem, but many ways to do better, but don't point a finger because you could probably do more to, then you can moan because it's not working like you want.           

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas