• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All conference/Region/ and state

Started by watchemplay, May 22, 2015, 04:06:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

watchemplay

I keep seeing on Facebook where some schools have had the athletic awards given out already. If that is the case why has the awards not been posted anywhere for people to view yet?

sevenof400

Waatchemplay,

If softball works like soccer (and I suspect it does), please click here for an explanation on these selection processes.

Let me add a few thoughts not covered in the other thread:
Conference coaches hold a meeting at the end of their conference season to verify the teams they will be sending to the state playoffs.  At this same meeting, the selection of All State players and identification of potential All Star selections begins.

When a coach leaves the conference meeting, they will know who made the All State team because each team gets a certain number of selections (based on their conference finish).  While it is not encouraged, coaches can (and do) make these announcements at their spring athletic banquets.   

When a coach leaves that same conference meeting, they will NOT know who made the All Star team because the final selection of that team has more steps to complete.  In soccer, you can pretty much ensure that the top two nominated players from your conference will be on the All Star team but past that, you cannot know anything for certainty because the process still has to play out.  Coaches might mention a player was nominated for the All Star game but anything more than that is a bit risky.

Again, all of this assumes softball work like soccer. 

One thing definitely different with softball is more classifications and that might make this process even a bit harder to predict.

Hope that helps a bit..

1-Adam-12

The way I've always heard it, all conference and all state etc. could not be publicized until after the last conference team was eliminated from the state tourney.

That may just be a conference thing. 

XXXnOut

My daughter was told yesterday by her coach that she was all conference and all county again this year. I don't see where it has been posted anywhere yet though...

sevenof400

Quote from: XXXnOut on May 27, 2015, 09:02:32 am
My daughter was told yesterday by her coach that she was all conference and all county again this year. I don't see where it has been posted anywhere yet though...

Those won't be posted on AAA's website as they only post All-State and All-Tourney teams.

scrub

mack

Quote from: scrub on May 28, 2015, 08:13:35 am
All-State

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Baseball.Softball/2015_SB_All-State.pdf

NLR with only two, while Bentonville and Cabot get three each.  I should be to the point where this bs doesn't surprise me......

ricepig

Quote from: mack on May 28, 2015, 01:56:39 pm
All-State

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Baseball.Softball/2015_SB_All-State.pdf

NLR with only two, while Bentonville and Cabot get three each.  I should be to the point where this bs doesn't surprise me......

You should have won your conference, you know full well these choices were made before the state tournament, based on your conference finish.

softballjunkie1985

Mack, the cf should have made it..really nice player!

SNWA

Haha used to this. Just like Cabot coach gets to coach all star game, chooses his buddies from surrounding small towns to assistant coach so they all get girls on team and knocks out other deserving girls. Nothing new. It's all a crock. Congrats though to the girls that made it and sorry to the ones that got the shaft.  On to college!!!

SNWA

Anxiously awaiting Ricepigs response.  😀😀😀

PrivateLesson

Why was Sheridan allowed 3 players and most everyone else one or two?    Coaches voting favorites in that conference or something??

ricepig

Quote from: PrivateLesson on May 28, 2015, 02:36:55 pm
Why was Sheridan allowed 3 players and most everyone else one or two?    Coaches voting favorites in that conference or something??

DH, the number of selections is based on your finish in your conference.

ricepig

Quote from: SNWA on May 28, 2015, 02:30:05 pm
Anxiously awaiting Ricepigs response.  😀😀😀
So....no one from Greenwood has ever been an All-Star head coach??

SNWA

GW took 1st in conference. Sheridan took 2nd in theirs.

PrivateLesson

So why didn't Greenwood get 3 players and Sheridan only two?  Does it work on rotation?

ricepig

Quote from: PrivateLesson on May 28, 2015, 02:44:00 pm
So why didn't Greenwood get 3 players and Sheridan only two?  Does it work on rotation?

I guess they like them better??

PrivateLesson

Do the coaches not vote based on player stats or anything for the allotment they are allowed?

Runfastturnleft

May 28, 2015, 03:00:03 pm #18 Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:02:13 pm by Runfastturnleft
Quote from: SNWA on May 28, 2015, 02:28:24 pm
Haha used to this. Just like Cabot coach gets to coach all star game, chooses his buddies from surrounding small towns to assistant coach so they all get girls on team and knocks out other deserving girls. Nothing new. It's all a crock. Congrats though to the girls that made it and sorry to the ones that got the shaft.  On to college!!!

You don't get to choose your assistants.  It's a vote by all the coaches in the aaa that chose to cast a vote.   

Also. There are stipulations on how many from. Each conference you can take. 

Prolly should be tweaked to make it a true all star game,  but everyone isn't going to be happy.   

SNWA

mack

Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2015, 02:17:07 pm
All-State

You should have won your conference, you know full well these choices were made before the state tournament, based on your conference finish.

Im not so sure you're right on this one ....  I believe someone posted that Sheridan was a runner up in their conference and got three.  Splain that one yankee.....

PrivateLesson

Mack,  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2015, 02:44:28 pm

I guess they like them better??

ricepig

Quote from: mack on May 28, 2015, 03:16:09 pm
Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2015, 02:17:07 pm
All-State

Im not so sure you're right on this one ....  I believe someone posted that Sheridan was a runner up in their conference and got three.  Splain that one yankee.....

Well, it is for the conference in which you are currently a member, that I can speak for. I have heard of coach's turning down their selection in order for someone more deserving, but that was on a hush hush basis.

ricepig

The south gets 10 spots, the East/Central gets 10 spots.

mack

Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2015, 03:28:25 pm

Makes sense.  I was sort of confusing All-Tournament with All-State....

ricepig

Quote from: mack on May 28, 2015, 03:30:27 pm

Happens when you get old, glad I'm not there yet.

SNWA

Have not seen all tournament yet.

PrivateLesson

Hopefully the ones left out will maybe be included in that vote. 

mack

Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2015, 03:33:37 pm

And what guarantee do you have that you'll reach my ripe, old age?  LOL

ricepig

Quote from: mack on May 28, 2015, 04:18:36 pm
Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2015, 03:33:37 pm

And what guarantee do you have that you'll reach my ripe, old age?  LOL

Genes, good genes, haha. Dad is 95, Mom is 89, and I have an uncle who is 100 and played tennis until he was 98. Of course, I could choke on the filet I'm cooking tonight. At 57, I don't have to live too long to reach your "ripe" old age.

Panthers44

This all state team is a crock of crap if your team doesnt qualify for state and you get more players than a team that does its all political!

NEASPORTSFAN

Quote from: Panthers44 on May 28, 2015, 07:07:02 pm
This all state team is a crock of crap if your team doesnt qualify for state and you get more players than a team that does its all political!
not necessarily. You could have the best 8 players in the state out there with a mediocre pitcher and you are not going to do well.

Sweet

Something doesn't add up if the number of selections is based on district tournament finish.

In the 2A BIC, Foreman, Hector, Midland Poyen and Woodlawn got 2 each. All but Woodlawn won their respective district tournament.

Hazen and Parkers Chapel won theirs and only got 1.

If it's based on regular season standings Hazen and Spring Hill were shorted.

Not trying to take away from any recipient. Just trying to clarify the process. 

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: Sweet on May 29, 2015, 11:48:54 am
Something doesn't add up if the number of selections is based on district tournament finish.

In the 2A BIC, Foreman, Hector, Midland Poyen and Woodlawn got 2 each. All but Woodlawn won their respective district tournament.

All Stars and all State have nothing to do with the finish.   It's voted on by the coaches.   

ricepig

Quote from: Runfastturnleft on May 29, 2015, 11:52:44 am

All Stars and all State have nothing to do with the finish.   It's voted on by the coaches.

It depends on the conference, each has its on rules.

chifan

BIC did not win their district tournament.  They were beaten in the final.

Panthers44

You have better player not on all state list than the ones on it! The coaches dont always vote for the best ones just the favorites!

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Panthers44 on May 29, 2015, 01:08:35 pm
You have better player not on all state list than the ones on it! The coaches dont always vote for the best ones just the favorites!

Another nerve touched!!!  Somebody's DD didn't get picked and someone from a conference foe got picked instead!!

skydiver, you gotta get in on this.

sevenof400

Do you understand how the All State team is selected?

CMhawgtracks

bingo, plus coaches team up, pat each other's back, you vote for me, I'll vote for you, we'll both look good, wink, wink...

sevenof400

Quote from: CMhawgtracks on May 29, 2015, 03:56:20 pm
bingo, plus coaches team up, pat each other's back, you vote for me, I'll vote for you, we'll both look good, wink, wink...

Do you understand how the All State team is selected?

PrivateLesson

Yes, yes, yes......you make brownies....be nice to all the coaches....and ask for them to please pick my DD....she is the best ever player.....and is related to so and so who is related to so and so....ehh?   ;)

I don't really understand the process Seven, other than from what ricepig, you and MDXPHD have posted.   Can you please explain it??  :)

500 hitter

All State selection is a  joke. Don't even get me started.  From what I understand these positions are selected during conference play. That's crazy, that's what all conference selection is for. My daughter made all state, that's not the issue here. The issue I have is that some really good kids that are the best in the state get left off the list. I'm done now.LOL

sevenof400

Quote from: 500 hitter on May 29, 2015, 04:53:02 pm
All State selection is a  joke. Don't even get me started.  From what I understand these positions are selected during conference play. That's crazy, that's what all conference selection is for. My daughter made all state, that's not the issue here. The issue I have is that some really good kids that are the best in the state get left off the list. I'm done now.LOL

No.  That is not correct.

PrivateLesson

May 29, 2015, 05:54:26 pm #44 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:56:17 pm by PrivateLesson
the players are selected after conference play.....and apparently only get 10 to select (20 total) in this conference but every conference is different....???   

Code3Cat

May 29, 2015, 08:41:04 pm #45 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:45:07 pm by Code3Cat
I can tell you how the conference I was associated with done all state.  Coaches nominated players they thought deserved all state.  Coaches can nominate any girl, didnt have to be from his/her on team.  Six girls from our conference were selected for all state.  We took all the girls nominated and voted them from 1-whatever the number nominated was, with 1 being the best and so on.  The girls with the six lowest totals were chosen all state. I can say I think our conference nailed it pretty close.  We selected all state/all conference awards AFTER the regular season was over and did not announce any awards until after our season was over and we had an awards banquet.  The joke in my opinion is the All Star game. This is where things get very political.

FNLsupporter

Bald Knob won every tournament they played in including the TOC, district, regionals, and state tournament, all while finishing as the best team in the state regardless of classification and ranked in the top 20 in the entire nation. How many all state players did they have?? Two! I think they would have as good an argument as anyone for more players to made the list. But in the end, it's more about the rings than the all state award. I bet there are a lot of girls that would trade their plaque for a state championship anyday.

sevenof400

Quote from: FNLsupporter on May 30, 2015, 10:08:10 pm
Bald Knob won every tournament they played in including the TOC, district, regionals, and state tournament, all while finishing as the best team in the state regardless of classification and ranked in the top 20 in the entire nation. How many all state players did they have?? Two! I think they would have as good an argument as anyone for more players to made the list. But in the end, it's more about the rings than the all state award. I bet there are a lot of girls that would trade their plaque for a state championship anyday.

Whoa, there big fella! 

Forrest City H

It would be interesting to have an overall tournament - I suspect the 2 best teams are Bald Knob and Vilonia (with Greenwood & Mena very close to round out a top 4).  Bald Knob beat the 7A champ 10-2 the week before the state tournaments.  When comparing Bald Knob and Vilonia, a recent common opponent was the nationally known Paragould Heat, whose only two losses all year were to Bald Knob and Vilonia the last couple weeks of the season - and both by the exact same score. 

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: Forrest City H on May 31, 2015, 12:14:37 pm
It would be interesting to have an overall tournament - I suspect the 2 best teams are Bald Knob and Vilonia (with Greenwood & Mena very close to round out a top 4).  Bald Knob beat the 7A champ 10-2 the week before the state tournaments.  When comparing Bald Knob and Vilonia, a recent common opponent was the nationally known Paragould Heat, whose only two losses all year were to Bald Knob and Vilonia the last couple weeks of the season - and both by the exact same score.

Mena most has better talent than those.  Vilonia is very scrappy and just refuses to go away.  If their pitcher is on, then they are super tough to beat.  Greenwood has an ace pitcher, but otherwise they are a good team, not "great".  Bald Knob is very talented as well, with their pitcher being an absolute stud on the mound and at the plate.  If you could somehow pitch around her, I wonder if the rest could pick her up offensively. 

No one mentions NLR???  They looked extremely good in the finals.  Power throughout the line up, solid defensively.  Good pitching. 

All state champions, however!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas