• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

Because I can't leave well enough alone...

QB:
Austin Allen showed some bright flashes this year. He looked great early but faded a little down the stretch after his injury. He picked VT apart in the first half yesterday but also made some really poor second half decisions that put our defense in a tough spot. This offseason he needs to work on his decision making.

RB:
This should be one of the strengths of the team with both Rawleigh Williams and Devwah Whaley set to return. I'm interested to see how TJ Hammonds is used. In his limited time this season he had some very nice runs. We used him a little bit in the wildcat yesterday. There's potential for a three-headed monster in the backfield.

WR:
This is the position where we take the biggest hit from graduation. Hollister, Hatcher, and Morgan are all gone. I'm glad Jared Cornelius elected to return as he will provide some much needed experience. I expect Deon Stewart to contribute as well.
Side note: I think Hatcher is a legit NFL receiver.

TE:
O'Grady did a nice job in place of Sprinkle yesterday. He's faster than I realized for sure. He needs to get bigger and work on his blocking ability. Cantrell will also be a major contributor at this position next year. He is more of a blocker for sure.

OL:
This was a group that struggled mightily early but by the end of the year appeared to be jelling. I was ready to fire Kurt Anderson, but now I'm ready to trust him to work with these guys to make this a dominant group. Our only loss here, while a big loss, is Dan Skipper.

DL:
Oh gosh. This one scares me. I think Agim is ready to come into his own, but we lose Winston, Johnson, Wise and Ledbetter from a group that was already not outstanding.

LB:
Here's a group where I think graduation actually helps us. I think Brooks Ellis is a great person. He plays with so much heart and was a real leader. However, he could never cover a receiver. He was picked apart every single game on crossing patterns (schematic fail by Robb Smith). Dre Greenlaw should shift to MLB flanked by Randy Ramsey and Dwayne Eugene. This could be a pretty good group next year.

Secondary:
This group will keep getting better under Paul Rhoads. They showed marked improvement this year. Henre Toliver and Ryan Pulley are both back at the corners with Santos Ramirez and Josh Liddell back for another year as the safeties.

Special teams:
Toby Baker was a real game-changer at times this year. He'll be missed as the punter. I'm always nervous about our placekicking, but maybe Hedlund can improve? Idk. Now we just need to find someone who can put a kickoff into the end zone every time.....

Coaching:
I'm a little shaky, but I still believe in Bielema. I do want a change at DC. Also, there is a decent chance we could lose Enos at OC.

Projected record:
H: Florida A&M - W
H: TCU - W
D: Texas A&M - L
H: New Mexico State - W
A: South Carolina - W
A: Alabama - L
H: Auburn - L
A: Ole Miss - L
H: Coastal Carolina - W
A: LSU - L
H: Mississippi State - W
H: Missouri - W

7-5 (3-5)

beach bum

Good analysis of everything position by position. I am thinking 7-5 again too. I would say if the chips fell right 8-4 is possible, but also 6-6 could happen. If we lose to TCU and Texas A&M early.... my goodness we good be staring at a 5-7 season with what we return. I don't think that disaster happens though.

beach bum

What is your general outlook on the SEC as a whole? In the West I would say it goes....

1.Bama(no explanation needed)
2.Auburn (when they were healthy they ran it down peoples' throats plus the Baylor transfer at QB)
3.LSU (the superior talent will get them through, look for them to lose a game they shouldn't like always)

4-7 (throw Arkansas, Miss State, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss in a hat and pick, we will fall here somewhere, got to find ways to win close games here to have a decent season)

The East will be really hard to figure out from top to bottom. On paper Georgia has the best team coming back. I have a feeling though they do the usual UGA thing and drop a game or two that they should not. I would also have to look at everybody's cross divisional games a little better to make even more detailed calls on how I think teams will do. Playing us and Texas A&M I will say South Carolina is sleeper to win the East if they can find a way to get a little better. I don't think they will win the East, just that they are the sleeper out of the bottom four in the East to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

WPWells

I think we could do as well as 9-3 if things fall right and we can get wins over A&M and Ole Miss.

AirWarren

2017 outlook. Apathy

It will be year 5 I believe. It's time to show up or head out.

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on December 30, 2016, 11:48:36 am
I think we could do as well as 9-3 if things fall right and we can get wins over A&M and Ole Miss.

I agree with you as those as the key games... If we could get both South Carolina and Ole Miss on the road which are our two winnable road games then we salvage a decent season so I definitely agree with you and we have to win that A&M game eventually too.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on December 30, 2016, 12:00:12 pm
2017 outlook. Apathy

It will be year 5 I believe. It's time to show up or head out.

If we go 6-6 or 5-7 I would have no idea how you keep him around.... That would be doing nothing in 5 years. I don't care what his buyout is at some point he would have to show results. A 5-7 season and you would see tons of empty seats in 2018 if they kept him.

LRRandy

TCU is key. Fan bases start with fresh hope every season. A win at home against a  power five school ( ranked or not) will get the hope flowing  higher. A loss, early in the year,  and Mizzou and  VT will be fresh in the minds and it could start getting ugly.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on December 30, 2016, 12:18:30 pm
If we go 6-6 or 5-7 I would have no idea how you keep him around.... That would be doing nothing in 5 years. I don't care what his buyout is at some point he would have to show results. A 5-7 season and you would see tons of empty seats in 2018 if they kept him.

Of course, you aren't funding it, lol.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 01:23:53 pm
do you think the people funding it are happy with a $4 mil a year sub .500 coach? Lol

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on December 30, 2016, 01:31:59 pm
do you think the people funding it are happy with a $4 mil a year sub .500 coach? Lol

Happy, no, ready to make a change, absolutely not.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 02:50:56 pm
Happy, no, ready to make a change, absolutely not.
so, in your opinion, they attribute the mediocrity to the skill level and lack of execution as a purely player issue. No coaching issues?

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on December 30, 2016, 03:42:09 pm
so, in your opinion, they attribute the mediocrity to the skill level and lack of execution as a purely player issue. No coaching issues?

Did I say that? I said they aren't prepared/ready to make a change.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 03:58:03 pm
Did I say that? I said they aren't prepared/ready to make a change.
wanting to but not ready to?

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on December 30, 2016, 04:00:26 pm
wanting to but not ready to?

Still deciding, he gets another year, for sure. It will depend on what changes he makes to the staff, we'll know after the first of the year. I expect two at a minimum, but maybe more. It will depend on next season to a large degree.

beach bum

December 30, 2016, 05:26:05 pm #15 Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:29:19 pm by beach bum
Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 01:23:53 pm

Nope, and never will. I spend all my cash traveling.... Best thing an young man who isn't married can do with his free time.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on December 30, 2016, 05:26:05 pm
Nope, and never will. I spend all my cash traveling.... Best thing an young man who isn't married can do with his free time.

Well, some travel to Fayetteville to watch their team play. I enjoy traveling, that's what bye weeks or for, haha. I just think it's so cavalier for those with no skin in the game willing to spend other's money for their wants and wishes.

cuckoobird

Anyone who pay state taxes has skin in the game. It is the University of Arkansas , not the university of walmart or tyson...

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 30, 2016, 06:06:18 pm
Anyone who pay state taxes has skin in the game. It is the University of Arkansas , not the university of walmart or tyson...

Yeah, take that info to the ticket office and see what it buys you.

cuckoobird

If I'm not mistaken that stadium sits on state owned land and the team that plays in that stadium is a representative of the University of Arkansas, therefore the people of Arkansas.

mack

The amount of your tax dollar that goes anywhere near that stadium is minuscule.  Therefore, you and I along with Rice have minuscule skin in the game.  Those of us that give to the foundation have a little more.  Stephens, Walmart and Tyson have major skin in it. 

cuckoobird

I know my taxes are miniscule, I've already said the 50cents of my tax dollars is all they're going to get, but that land belongs to the state therefore the people of the state not the foundation

ricepig

Quote from: mack on December 30, 2016, 06:36:17 pm
The amount of your tax dollar that goes anywhere near that stadium is minuscule.  Therefore, you and I along with Rice have minuscule skin in the game.  Those of us that give to the foundation have a little more.  Stephens, Walmart and Tyson have major skin in it.

He has a skin follicle so small it can't be discerned with an electron microscope. I agree, I don't amount to a drop in the bucket, but others do. What is different these days from the past is the amount of TV money from the conference. I don't think Long has as much invested in any one big booster. Now, he courts them all, but I don't think the wagged the dog as in past years, or as it is at other schools. Case in point, they were trying to sell their Founder's Suites, they cost $3.5M and there are 10 of them. He asked a couple of our larger boosters about one, and they laughed at him. No problem, two people that had never donated anything big were asked out of the blue, "sure when do you want the check".

mack

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 30, 2016, 06:46:03 pm
I know my taxes are miniscule, I've already said the 50cents of my tax dollars is all they're going to get, but that land belongs to the state therefore the people of the state not the foundation

You are right.  I won't argue that. 

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 30, 2016, 06:06:18 pm

Or university of "I'm an alumni" or "I am a former frat boy who likes to tailgaite with friends".

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on December 30, 2016, 08:57:50 pm
Or university of "I'm an alumni" or "I am a former frat boy who likes to tailgaite with friends".

Jealousy isn't very becoming of you, lol. I'm sorry you don't have friends from college that you enjoy seeing. I guess wearing the old "W" letter jacket on Friday night's is more your thing......

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 09:01:52 pm
Jealousy isn't very becoming of you, lol. I'm sorry you don't have friends from college that you enjoy seeing. I guess wearing the old "W" letter jacket on Friday night's is more your thing......

My best friends are my friends I went to high school with and college. I see them on a regular basis. We don't have to run back to college to "show off".

What in the world do I have to be jealous about in regard to your alumni choice? I am not the one who gets on here and tells us over and over and over that you are a U of A graduate like it means something to someone. Congratulations, you're just another graduate of a university. Welcome to the club.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on December 30, 2016, 09:07:42 pm
My best friends are my friends I went to high school with and college. I see them on a regular basis. We don't have to run back to college to "show off".

What in the world do I have to be jealous about in regard to your alumni choice? I am not the one who gets on here and tells us over and over and over that you are a U of A graduate like it means something to someone. Congratulations, you're just another graduate of a university. Welcome to the club.

I thought that might fire you up a little. I explain my stance by stating why I donate, or why I go to games, etc.....it gives a perspective from my stance/point of view, that's all. My friends from college have spread out across the state and different states, we meet up at games, or duck club.

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 30, 2016, 06:17:53 pm
If I'm not mistaken that stadium sits on state owned land and the team that plays in that stadium is a representative of the University of Arkansas, therefore the people of Arkansas.

+1

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 09:12:48 pm
I thought that might fire you up a little. I explain my stance by stating why I donate, or why I go to games, etc.....it gives a perspective from my stance/point of view, that's all. My friends from college have spread out across the state and different states, we meet up at games, or duck club.
Congratulations! Outstanding Rice...Alumni and tailgater of mediocrity...what a success...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 30, 2016, 11:14:39 pm
Congratulations! Outstanding Rice...Alumni and tailgater of mediocrity...what a success...

Yeah, I'm not a bandwagon fan, sue me.

Jacketman65

Maybe a stronger showing of support for the NE AR team (Red Wolves) would get the attention of the powers that be on the Hill!  At least we would see  some winning football!

mack

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 31, 2016, 10:07:15 am
Maybe a stronger showing of support for the NE AR team (Red Wolves) would get the attention of the powers that be on the Hill!  At least we would see  some winning football!

Yeah.... winning football.... till they play UCA🙄

ricepig

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 31, 2016, 10:07:15 am

What's stopping you from watching them?

mack

Rice.... you need to go shoot some ducks, I need to go catch some crappie... you know...something positive!  The negativity on here is like a dark cloud...

AirWarren

Quote from: mack on December 31, 2016, 10:44:59 am
Rice.... you need to go shoot some ducks, I need to go catch some crappie... you know...something positive!  The negativity on here is like a dark cloud...

No offense. But the negativity is warranted. Losing is one thing. But a 24-0 lead meltdown is just not acceptable. It won't be bielema but someone needs to have a head roll.

WPWells

Bring in Rex Ryan as DC

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on December 31, 2016, 11:08:30 am
No offense. But the negativity is warranted. Losing is one thing. But a 24-0 lead meltdown is just not acceptable. It won't be bielema but someone needs to have a head roll.

I agree, there will be some changes made, just wait until next week, but before the 12th-13th.

ricepig

Quote from: mack on December 31, 2016, 10:44:59 am

No doubt, I'd rather just eat some crappie, lol.

beach bum

Odds BB is still the coach 10 days after the 2017 season? I will say 75% he isn't....

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on December 31, 2016, 11:20:14 am
Odds BB is still the coach 10 days after the 2017 season? I will say 75% he isn't....

What would you wish to wager on that? If, and I seriously doubt it, he'll be let go after Jan 1st, that will save about $4-5M.

AirWarren

If we do fire him or he leaves....we better have a good backup plan or an idea of who we are hiring. I will be extremely disappointed if we bring in some Derek Dooley up in comer type garbage to lead our team.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on December 31, 2016, 11:35:37 am
If we do fire him or he leaves....we better have a good backup plan or an idea of who we are hiring. I will be extremely disappointed if we bring in some Derek Dooley up in comer type garbage to lead our team.

Yep, I agree.

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 11:35:26 am
What would you wish to wager on that? If, and I seriously doubt it, he'll be let go after Jan 1st, that will save about $4-5M.

That sounds about right... We go 5-7 and get in a bowl as the last 5-7 team selected and lose to go to 5-8 and he is fired on January 2nd. Then we usher in the Bobby P era "Part 2"

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on December 31, 2016, 11:45:13 am
That sounds about right... We go 5-7 and get in a bowl as the last 5-7 team selected and lose to go to 5-8 and he is fired on January 2nd. Then we usher in the Bobby P era "Part 2"

Who is going to be Bobby P, part 2?

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 01:16:49 pm
Who is going to be Bobby P, part 2?

Harley Davidson rides are coming back to The Hill....

Jacketman65

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 10:39:49 am
What's stopping you from watching them?
Who is to say that I don't watch them?  A whole lot less arrogance over in that part of the state.  It does appear that at least State is capable of making adjustments to salvage their season, I believe they started 0-4 on the season, once again shared the conference title.  I believe it is 4 years in a row now that they have won/shared the title.  Yes, I will save you the time, I know it is the Sun Belt!

Mack, at least they are willing to play another in state school!  More than can be said about the pigs.

beach bum

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 31, 2016, 02:01:44 pm
Who is to say that I don't watch them?  A whole lot less arrogance over in that part of the state.  It does appear that at least State is capable of making adjustments to salvage their season, I believe they started 0-4 on the season, once again shared the conference title.  I believe it is 4 years in a row now that they have won/shared the title.  Yes, I will save you the time, I know it is the Sun Belt!

Mack, at least they are willing to play another in state school!  More than can be said about the pigs.

BB is too scared for Arkansas to play a real non conference schedule. He would rather play Coastal Carolina, Florida A&M, and New Mexico State. Playing one halfway decent power 5 doesn't make your schedule good when you play 3 other absolute garbage teams. TCU was flat out mediocre this year after their really good years. They will probably be 4th, 5th, or 6th in the Big 12 again next year and we will call that a "tough" non conference game. The only reason Arkansas salvages a semi normal record next year is because our non conference schedule is so weak. We should be thanking Michigan because we would have been thumped at the big house.

Jacketman65

Quote from: beach bum on December 31, 2016, 02:07:38 pm
BB is too scared for Arkansas to play a real non conference schedule. He would rather play Coastal Carolina, Florida A&M, and New Mexico State. Playing one halfway decent power 5 doesn't make your schedule good when you play 3 other absolute garbage teams. TCU was flat out mediocre this year after their really good years. They will probably be 4th, 5th, or 6th in the Big 12 again next year and we will call that a "tough" non conference game. The only reason Arkansas salvages a semi normal record next year is because our non conference schedule is so weak. We should be thanking Michigan because we would have been thumped at the big house.
Exactly, the basketball team is beginning to take on the same look.  When we play someone decent - Well, we lose!

beach bum

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 31, 2016, 02:13:42 pm
Exactly, the basketball team is beginning to take on the same look.  When we play someone decent - Well, we lose!

I agree, Its actually bumming me out watching the basketball team. The football Hogs I could care less with the guy in charge.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas