• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Refereeing Related

Started by TNT_15, April 09, 2016, 03:25:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNT_15

April 09, 2016, 03:25:37 pm Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:00:54 am by sevenof400
Foreword from sevenof400:

All, I've moved the topics to this thread that related to referee related issues so we don't spread referee issues and questions to the various threads.  Please keep the discussion of referee items in this thread.

Thanks.

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 08, 2016, 09:27:08 pm
5A West:

VG: Vilonia 1, Clarksville 0
VB: Clarksville 3, Vilonia 0

Edit: It should be noted that Clarksville's best defender (their coach's words) was shown a red for DOGSO with about 6 minutes left in the boys game.
DOGSO?

VHSCoach2

Lionheart88

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 09, 2016, 03:34:08 pm
Denying an Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity.
Generally either by foul or handball.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 09, 2016, 07:39:01 pm
Generally either by foul or handball.

Which, in this particular case, was a foul from behind.

ArkHog#7

April 10, 2016, 10:41:42 am #4 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:51:57 am by ArkHog#7

TNT_15

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 09, 2016, 08:11:34 pm
Which, in this particular case, was a foul from behind.
They were up 3-0 seems like a bad time to do that

ArkHog#7

April 10, 2016, 10:45:35 am #6 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:23:25 pm by ArkHog#7

sevenof400

April 10, 2016, 10:54:13 am #7 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:21:58 pm by sevenof400
You could say these things about every high school sport in the state of Arkansas - and you wouldn't be entirely wrong.  Even current officials and referees will agree with a lot of what you are saying, but do keep in mind that nothing is stopping anyone from becoming an official or referee.

Now I am not about to turn this back around on you and say you should become a referee (or official), but the current environment (as it is) is NOT drawing younger folks in.  There could be any number of reasons why this is the case (and we do a pretty good job of speculating on them around here), but clearly the situation will NOT improve until AAA wants it to.

As yourself sometime why 40/50/60 year olds are trying to keep up with teenagers up and down the field over an 80 minute game and remember if those 40/50/60 year olds were not doing that, you would not have any referees.  As a practitioner of the dark arts, I agree the environment needs to improve but until the AAA is reformed the circumstances are unlikely to change.   

It is much worse in the areas of the state away from the central and northwest.  NE Arkansas has had an acute shortage of referees for several years and AAA has done nothing to help alleviate the problem.  It is beyond sad and the losers are the players, coaches and fans of the game. 

sevenof400

Quote from: ArkHog#7 on April 10, 2016, 10:41:42 am

ArkHog#7,

I know you removed this quote in the other thread and if you'd like me to do so here as well I will but I really don't think you've said anything out of bounds here.  There are honest observations that all of us in the soccer community are feeling right now - and I count myself in that crowd as well. 

ArkHog#7

April 10, 2016, 11:06:53 am #9 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:22:43 pm by ArkHog#7

chaoslord

April 10, 2016, 11:08:41 am #10 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:11:37 am by chaoslord
It's really tough for a lot of places to get referees from the ages of about 20-40. The younger kids go off to places with colleges. If you're a small or rural area, it's tough to have younger referees. While in school, they have class work or internships that interfere with their schedule. Then they graduate and start working and might not have the ability as an entry level person to take a lot of time off or they move out of state entirely. Then maybe they get married and/or have kids and don't have as much time to give to the game. By about 40, life has calmed down, vacation/time off is easier to come by, and now there is more opportunity for them to give to the game. And by now? A lot of folks might be a step or two slower. It is just the way life ends up working out.

As the sport grows in the state, I hope we can get (and keep) more officials. But as I've always said, it starts with the parents at u10 games. There are appropriate ways to vent frustration with referees. Especially at the u10 level, you are probably getting extremely new referees who may indeed be bad at it. But screaming abuse at 14 year olds who are trying to do their best only hurts the game in the long run.

Edit: 40 might be a bit of a stretch but the general point remains, a lot of referees drop off during those years and come back when they are older

chaoslord

Hey Arbitro and Lionheart, what do you guys think of the new uniforms? Anyone else excited to be dropping $500 to get a full new compliment again? Haha.

Arbitro

Quote from: chaoslord on May 04, 2016, 11:33:24 pm
Hey Arbitro and Lionheart, what do you guys think of the new uniforms? Anyone else excited to be dropping $500 to get a full new compliment again? Haha.
Assuming that OS uses a better fabric, I'm actually looking forward to getting (at least some of) the new uniforms.  I've held off replacing several of the jerseys due to the speculation about a uniform change.  I would have been unhappy to drop the $200 I was considering only to have them be out of date in a year.

Lionheart88

Considering I still have (and wear) my original yellow from when I reffed in high school?  Yeah, not looking forward to having to buy all new ones.

hogbert

must've missed the memo. What new uni's?

chaoslord

Quote from: hogbert on May 05, 2016, 04:52:22 pm
must've missed the memo. What new uni's?

New referee department logo, new unis! More details coming in June.

hogbert

chaoslord

Red, Yellow, Green available summer. Blue, Black available near the holidays. Current jerseys can be used through 2018 for USSF, so we're looking at the 2019 high school season when they will be out in full force for the NFHS folks, although I bet some will start creeping in next year. Guess I'm gonna have to start carrying 10-20 jerseys around in the mean time haha.

soccerhawg

In AR high school soccer, what is the rule about a goal keeper taking a PK, at the end of a game?  FS Northsid was going to have their keeper take the first kick and Mt St Mary's coach objected then they wouldn't let her take the kick.

chaoslord

In HS Kicks from the mark, any player is eligible to take a kick. This includes goalkeepers and players on the bench. You could have five people who haven't played a minute of the game take kicks in High School.

soccerhawg

Thanks, that's what I thought. It didn't matter anyway. Northside won 3-2.

sevenof400

Quote from: soccerhawg on May 12, 2016, 04:12:56 pm
In AR high school soccer, what is the rule about a goal keeper taking a PK, at the end of a game?  FS Northsid was going to have their keeper take the first kick and Mt St Mary's coach objected then they wouldn't let her take the kick.

I hope that isn't correct Soccerhawg - because as Chaoslord noted, keepers can take a KFTM.  Did the keeper actually take a KFTM?

Lionheart88

That's odd.  Anyone should be eligible to take the kick.

chaoslord

Glad that FS northside won to avoid the potential crapstorm from a protest. Imagine if mt St Mary won and the result got protested overnight. Both teams would show up the next day and could have had to redo the kicks. Then what if northside won the redo? Just would have been nasty all around.

Arbitro

I hope there was some other explanation for what happened, but it is hard to come up with any plausible justification without more information. It is a standard rule for NFHS that anyone on the roster can take a kick. Did the keeper remain on the field to defend the kicks?  If she had an equipment issue (missing shin guard, bleeding cut, etc.) I could see the referee not allowing her to kick and making her leave to take care of the problem.  Otherwise I wonder if the referee reviewed the tie breaker rules before the game, saw the line about the keeper not being REQUIRED to take a kick, and somehow translated that to the keeper not being ALLOWED to take one.  I'm glad it didn't affect the result.

soccerhawg

The keeper was not allowed to kick. The only issue was the objection by the MSM coach that under high school rules, the keeper was not allowed to kick. The referees didn't allow her to kick. She did, however keep playing as the keeper.

I agree, I was glad Northside won and theirs was a moot point. Someone needs to point this out to the MSM coach, though.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas