• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why haven't we tried this yet? (head coach contract tidbit)

Started by wildcat_x-mgr, January 08, 2014, 07:06:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcat_x-mgr

Saw this on the WKU message board today, just looking through conversation on Petrino going home, and came across this: http://hilltopperhaven.com/board/index.php/topic,2217.msg18205.html?PHPSESSID=n5va5un31tlkemkjkgjl2c2mr2#msg18205

Obviously could be worded a little better than "make your best effort," but that's beside the point. With all the coaches ASU has been losing the past few years - to high profile programs, no less - why has nobody in the admin included a clause like this yet? We could have upcoming home games with Ole Miss, Auburn, AND Boise State looming on the horizon! Stadium upgrades would be needed ASAP! If Anderson leaves like the others have done, we need to start making sure this is in EVERY coach's contract from now on.

Anyone see a reason not to? I know we already have some huge buy-outs, but who wouldn't rather have some marquee home games like these?

Jacketman65

bleudog

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on January 08, 2014, 07:06:23 pm
Saw this on the WKU message board today, just looking through conversation on Petrino going home, and came across this: http://hilltopperhaven.com/board/index.php/topic,2217.msg18205.html?PHPSESSID=n5va5un31tlkemkjkgjl2c2mr2#msg18205

Obviously could be worded a little better than "make your best effort," but that's beside the point. With all the coaches ASU has been losing the past few years - to high profile programs, no less - why has nobody in the admin included a clause like this yet? We could have upcoming home games with Ole Miss, Auburn, AND Boise State looming on the horizon! Stadium upgrades would be needed ASAP! If Anderson leaves like the others have done, we need to start making sure this is in EVERY coach's contract from now on.

Anyone see a reason not to? I know we already have some huge buy-outs, but who wouldn't rather have some marquee home games like these?

I agree "make your best effort" makes the whole clause moot.  Hey, whoever leaves will make their best effort to win a national championship but only one head coach a year will get that done.

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: bleudog on January 09, 2014, 07:29:55 am
Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on January 08, 2014, 07:06:23 pm

I agree "make your best effort" makes the whole clause moot.  Hey, whoever leaves will make their best effort to win a national championship but only one head coach a year will get that done.

Exactly! I'd word it more as, "A home-and-home WILL be scheduled, starting in the next available year." Sound better?

Iknewthemwhen

Lionheart88

Might be better to tie that into the buyout, something like "the hiring school will pay us $2 million and schedule a home & home football series beginning withn X years..."  That way they'll have to tell you when they buy him out "look, our dance card's full for the next two years, but we can fit you in for 2017 & 18."

dc24

It happens in basketball all the time and I think it would be great to do for football, but since there are not as many games, it makes it harder to accomplish.

Uncle Ivan

With the Pelphrey hire, Arkansas did this with South Alabama.

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on January 11, 2014, 03:52:03 am

I thought I remembered that, Arkansas had an away game at South Alabama in JP's first year for that reason, didn't they?

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on January 12, 2014, 08:47:35 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on January 11, 2014, 03:52:03 am

I thought I remembered that, Arkansas had an away game at South Alabama in JP's first year for that reason, didn't they?

Yes.  It's a pretty smart move for a mid-major.  You know you're going to lose your coach to a big program sooner or later, so you'd might as well get something else out of it besides the buyout.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas