• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Magnolia?

Started by Rida4Life, January 07, 2019, 10:28:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rida4Life

What's going on over in Magnolia?.... I heard this morning that changes may be coming...

youhavenoidea

Rida4Life

Like coaching changes....

youhavenoidea

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 07, 2019, 11:15:05 am
Like coaching changes....
Thought that they might be getting turf... ;)

boogercat

His either going to El Dorado or Cabot?

NEASPORTSFAN

Magnolia is the most underachieving football program in Arkansas in any classification.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: NEASPORTSFAN on January 08, 2019, 11:46:42 am
Magnolia is the most underachieving football program in Arkansas in any classification.
they do underachieve

incogneto

OB11

Quote from: incogneto on January 08, 2019, 10:46:17 pm
There is a long list for this.

Isn't Magnolia a "baseball" school?

AHS06

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: OB11 on January 09, 2019, 08:52:39 am
Isn't Magnolia a "baseball" school?

In the 70's I remember it as both football and basketball school.  I know they won a state baseball title a few years back and produced a 1st round draft pick with the Simpson kid.

POWERCAT PRIDE

Panter resigned. Sources say he's headed to Cabot to rejoin Reed

incogneto

Quote from: AHS06 on January 09, 2019, 08:54:37 am
Lets hear some
Nah you can use your imagination.  Just think to yourself where do they have athletes running out of their ears but they cannot manage to win?

airitout

A friend of my brother's wife's daughter's baby sitter, knows a guy who's wife has a dog groomer, who's son played at Forman, who says that their coach will not be back to Forman next year and he is pushing hard for the Magnolia job.  It must be true.

AHS06

January 10, 2019, 08:24:53 am #14 Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:27:27 am by AHS06
Quote from: incogneto on January 09, 2019, 09:10:15 pm
Nah you can use your imagination.  Just think to yourself where do they have athletes running out of their ears but they cannot manage to win?
I have always viewed Magnolia as one of those towns that think they have elite athletes and talent but in reality they are average.  Overall I would expect them to be a conference contender maybe every 3 years or so.  Hope has been a better program than Magnolia. 

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: incogneto on January 08, 2019, 10:46:17 pm
There is a long list for this.
Lots of schools do underachieve no doubt

youhavenoidea

Quote from: AHS06 on January 10, 2019, 08:24:53 am
I have always viewed Magnolia as one of those towns that think they have elite athletes and talent but in reality they are average.  Overall I would expect them to be a conference contender maybe every 3 years or so.  Hope has been a better program than Magnolia.
Haha, wow....no way what so ever.  Hope is hanging on by a thread

boogercat

Magnolia hasn't been good in a long time. Back when El Dorado was struggling, I remember Magnolia beating them. Magnolia is a decent place to if you want a head coaching job. Magnolia fans can't blame Coach Panter on this, his actually is a great coach. The talent level at Magnolia isn't that great and if it was good you would see them winning 7 games a year at most. A coach and only coach what he is provided on the field, if the kids don't want to play they wont play. Coach Panter will enjoy being in Cabot and I'm sure yall will see him again as a head coach somewhere else.

AHS06

Quote from: boogercat on January 10, 2019, 09:30:04 am
Magnolia hasn't been good in a long time. Back when El Dorado was struggling, I remember Magnolia beating them. Magnolia is a decent place to if you want a head coaching job. Magnolia fans can't blame Coach Panter on this, his actually is a great coach. The talent level at Magnolia isn't that great and if it was good you would see them winning 7 games a year at most. A coach and only coach what he is provided on the field, if the kids don't want to play they wont play. Coach Panter will enjoy being in Cabot and I'm sure yall will see him again as a head coach somewhere else.
+1

AHS06

Quote from: youhavenoidea on January 10, 2019, 08:43:25 am
Haha, wow....no way what so ever.  Hope is hanging on by a thread
If Hope is hanging on by a thread, what is the case for Magnolia?  Since 2010 Hope has won more games than Magnolia and that includes a Semi-Final and Quarter Final finish.  Hope has the edge in facilities and a native Bobcat leading the program into year 2.  I do believe with the right coach, Magnolia could return to being a respectable program.  Magnolia has great community support and decent facilities-Minus the football field. 

youhavenoidea

Quote from: AHS06 on January 10, 2019, 10:17:01 am
If Hope is hanging on by a thread, what is the case for Magnolia?  Since 2010 Hope has won more games than Magnolia and that includes a Semi-Final and Quarter Final finish.  Hope has the edge in facilities and a native Bobcat leading the program into year 2.  I do believe with the right coach, Magnolia could return to being a respectable program.  Magnolia has great community support and decent facilities-Minus the football field.
Okay you have the two "Agim" years for Hope, then what?...twenty some straight losses, Coach resigns, after several coaches turn down the job you hire an alumni that had been at a school that did less with more as good as anyone in state history, win one game, now what else?  Heard rumors and seen videos online that say school atmosphere is as terrible as it can get....

AHS06

Quote from: youhavenoidea on January 10, 2019, 11:11:56 am
Okay you have the two "Agim" years for Hope, then what?...twenty some straight losses, Coach resigns, after several coaches turn down the job you hire an alumni that had been at a school that did less with more as good as anyone in state history, win one game, now what else?  Heard rumors and seen videos online that say school atmosphere is as terrible as it can get....
You can't just erase the Agim years.  Magnolia had a 14 game losing streak and plays a weaker non-conference.  Yes, Hope has some major problems in their school.  Magnolia has great potential.

Wantobe

Quote from: airitout on January 10, 2019, 07:49:09 am
A friend of my brother's wife's daughter's baby sitter, knows a guy who's wife has a dog groomer, who's son played at Forman, who says that their coach will not be back to Forman next year and he is pushing hard for the Magnolia job.  It must be true.
Everything is true that you read on here, isn't it?

youhavenoidea

Quote from: AHS06 on January 10, 2019, 12:49:53 pm
You can't just erase the Agim years.  Magnolia had a 14 game losing streak and plays a weaker non-conference.  Yes, Hope has some major problems in their school.  Magnolia has great potential.
Wasn't erasing those years...just asked/questioned what else has happened to put Hope ahead of Magnolia

AHS06

Quote from: youhavenoidea on January 11, 2019, 08:05:41 am
Wasn't erasing those years...just asked/questioned what else has happened to put Hope ahead of Magnolia
There is nothing else.  I think Magnolia will make the right hire and add more balance to the South.

youhavenoidea

Any names or ideas about this hire?  Would think this would really draw some interest

Untimeddown

My understanding is that Magnolia has become a "baseball" town or other sport town.  This is usually the "kiss of death" for a real football program.

airitout

Quote from: youhavenoidea on January 17, 2019, 10:05:12 am
Any names or ideas about this hire?  Would think this would really draw some interest
Foreman's Coach maybe

youhavenoidea

Quote from: airitout on January 17, 2019, 10:47:43 am
Foreman's Coach maybe
Someone mentioned that to me the other day, thought it would be strange to bring in guy who runs same stuff you just got rid of...but who knows, maybe old coach didn't run it right

OB11

Quote from: youhavenoidea on January 17, 2019, 11:09:41 am
Someone mentioned that to me the other day, thought it would be strange to bring in guy who runs same stuff you just got rid of...but who knows, maybe old coach didn't run it right

Did Magnolia "get rid" of him? Or did he leave on his own? The powers that be at Magnolia may like the system he ran and would be looking for someone that runs the same thing.

Arkansasprofit

King would be a homerun hire!!!  Just because a coach run a similar offense doesn't mean they run it the same.  If that were the case we would have way more coaches like Kevin Kelly, Rick Jones, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney etc.  Any other names mentioned?

Lumberjackfan1978

JessieP

They need to change the entire culture at Magnolia, start from the ground up. Every little bit helps. Having the interior lineman work out during the summer wearing custom shirts that read "Steel Magnolias" was a pretty big swing and a miss.

youhavenoidea

Quote from: OB11 on January 17, 2019, 12:37:18 pm
Did Magnolia "get rid" of him? Or did he leave on his own? The powers that be at Magnolia may like the system he ran and would be looking for someone that runs the same thing.
Reassignment or get rid of, however you want to say it...and if that is the system they want to run there then more power to them, but someone might want to take a look at what will get the most kids out and give them a chance to build up numbers, a school that size with what they had out is not good

boogercat

Quote from: youhavenoidea on January 18, 2019, 07:07:00 am
Reassignment or get rid of, however you want to say it...and if that is the system they want to run there then more power to them, but someone might want to take a look at what will get the most kids out and give them a chance to build up numbers, a school that size with what they had out is not good

Magnolia did not force him out or gave him a new assignment. He took a new job at Cabot under Coach Reed who he was with at Forrest City and at El Dorado. Before you comment, please know what you are talking about beforehand. Panter is a great coach I doubt that you will see that because you will look at his win and lose record. Panter is at Cabot and has already started on their staff. Reed and Panter is running off-season for Cabot football.

youhavenoidea

Quote from: boogercat on January 20, 2019, 11:37:26 am

Magnolia did not force him out or gave him a new assignment. He took a new job at Cabot under Coach Reed who he was with at Forrest City and at El Dorado. Before you comment, please know what you are talking about beforehand. Panter is a great coach I doubt that you will see that because you will look at his win and lose record. Panter is at Cabot and has already started on their staff. Reed and Panter is running off-season for Cabot football.
Ok Booger, I guess it's a coincidence or foresight he resigned, before Reed had Cabot job..I'll make sure not to listen to my friends in Magnolia

TrenchHogs

Mark King - Foreman coach has interviewed. King worked with several of the admin including the superintendent at Magnolia at Horatio. Would be a home run hire for Magnolia.

Katdaddy

Mark King would be a good hire at Magnolia. If kids would buy in, then they will win.

Arkansasprofit

If they were to hire Mark King I could see them making a run at a state championship within 3-5 years.  1974 is the last time Magnolia has won a state championship.  His offense would be perfect for Magnolia!!  I hope the powers that be make the right decision!!!

Hogman2018

What are you drinking? That wont happen

boogercat

Quote from: Hogman2018 on January 24, 2019, 01:11:34 pm
What are you drinking? That wont happen

I like to know as well because I want to try it. Mark King will not win a state championship at Magnolia. Only way Magnolia will win state is if they have all the superstars that PA has.

Arkansasprofit

We will see if that happens.  First he has to get the job, then go from there.  Making a run at  a state championship means your in the semi-finals, or actually playing for a state championship.  If you have no confidence in yourself, your town, or your team I can see why you think that way.  Foreman had never won a state championship, and hadn't won a district championship since 1987 before King arrived.  The last time Magnolia has won a conference championship is 2002.  Before that Magnolia won a conference championship in 71,72,74,77,83, 93, & 94.   Last time Magnolia has won state is 1974 when Roy Green was the big star!

i40traveler

Quote from: Arkansasprofit on January 25, 2019, 08:48:32 am
We will see if that happens.  First he has to get the job, then go from there.  Making a run at  a state championship means your in the semi-finals, or actually playing for a state championship.  If you have no confidence in yourself, your town, or your team I can see why you think that way.  Foreman had never won a state championship, and hadn't won a district championship since 1987 before King arrived.  The last time Magnolia has won a conference championship is 2002.  Before that Magnolia won a conference championship in 71,72,74,77,83, 93, & 94.   Last time Magnolia has won state is 1974 when Roy Green was the big star!

Foreman also had the best player in the state and the best player Foreman has ever had come through.  Does Magnolia have that same luxury?

Arkansasprofit

Magnolia has always had great athletes, and that is a fact. 

GotInfo?

Heard they have interviewed 3 already.  No word on the time table of when they will hire.  Trying to get more information, but heard that a bigger name coach could become interested if the money was right. 

FootballFever

Foreman has had several great players just as good as Batey in the past and did not have any big success. Batey is  stud no doubt about that.  They had the Forbes, Hardwick, Kursh ect.  Foreman has always had athletes and never won conference championships or a State title before King took over.  It takes more than talent to win championships, if you could win on talent alone Ashdown should have won a couple in the last few years.   

i40traveler

Quote from: FootballFever on January 25, 2019, 10:34:06 am
Foreman has had several great players just as good as Batey in the past and did not have any big success. Batey is  stud no doubt about that.  They had the Forbes, Hardwick, Kursh ect.  Foreman has always had athletes and never won conference championships or a State title before King took over.  It takes more than talent to win championships, if you could win on talent alone Ashdown should have won a couple in the last few years.

In 2A if you have one great player around a bunch of good players, you're going to compete with any competent coach.  King is a good coach, this isn't a bash on him, but if Batey was a once in a generation player for Foreman.

GotInfo?

5A and up is different.  There are a lot of other factors at Magnolia I'm told that hurt the progress of football.  Maybe a change will help to fix those.

Arkansasprofit

I remember the year when Petrino left EVERYONE said just keep the same assistant coaches, and the razorbacks will be fine!!!  They had superb talent, and did horrible with John L. Smith.  I know a lot of people look down on 1A and 2A coaches but good thing other people don't listen to that.  Just because a guy has to start at the bottom, doesn't mean he will end up there.  Gus is at Auburn now, and he started coaching at a 2A school.  Coaches have to start somewhere!!!  Whether it's Mark King or whoever, a good coach is a good coach!!  The good ones will win wherever they are at!

FootballFever

If someone can coach it doesn't matter what classification they are in.  The State is full of great coaches that started in 2A and have had great success in the larger classifications.  Don Campbell started at Corning,  Bobby Bolding started at Mark Tree, Gus Malzahn started at Hughes, ect.  David Carpenter is a great coach and could have built a championship team at any level.  Clay Totty at Rison is a great coach and would be successful at any classification.  Bottom line if a guy can coach they can win at any level.  Each level has its challenges!!! 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas