• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What players in 2A will have the best chance to sign D1?

Started by hogwildUofA, November 18, 2012, 04:33:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwildUofA

So I was just thinkin what players out of the 2A will be going to any big D1 schools??? I know we had Dixon last year go to LA Tech and he is lighting it up so who will it be this year?

WMSbound

ed hood out of Gurdon is getting attention from ASU. I am uncertain if its anymore than just attention.

hogwildUofA

Honstley I think if Logan Best had a little bit darker skin he would be going to some big D1 school just my thought

the game

Quote from: hogwildUofA on November 18, 2012, 04:36:14 pm
The hogs not intersted?
They are / were ... I don't think any one up there has their mind on their job  :(

WMSbound

ha, maybe so. Could be that d1 schools don't see a high ceiling when evaluating him compared to other backs state wide.

hogwildUofA

Quote from: the game on November 18, 2012, 04:43:32 pm
Quote from: hogwildUofA on November 18, 2012, 04:36:14 pm
The hogs not intersted?
They are / were ... I don't think any one up there has their mind on their job  :(
Ya i know its a mess up there hopefully we bring a coach that will take the job serious instead of this idiot that we have

hogwildUofA

Quote from: WMSbound on November 18, 2012, 04:44:39 pm
ha, maybe so. Could be that d1 schools don't see a high ceiling when evaluating him compared to other backs state wide.
I don't I just think that if he was a little darker he would be looked at a little more serious..he had over 6,000 career yard a McCory thats pretty impressive

the game

Quote from: hogwildUofA on November 18, 2012, 04:39:45 pm
Honstley I think if Logan Best had a little bit darker skin he would be going to some big D1 school just my thought
Might want to hit the tanning booth and get a rap down  ;)

bleudog

November 18, 2012, 05:00:05 pm #11 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:05:19 pm by bleudog
Quote from: hogwildUofA on November 18, 2012, 04:33:37 pm
So I was just thinkin what players out of the 2A will be going to any big D1 schools??? I know we had Dixon last year go to LA Tech and he is lighting it up so who will it be this year?

Quote from: hogwildUofA on November 18, 2012, 04:39:45 pm

Att   Total    YPC     TD    Long      YPG
1.  Dixon,Kenneth      192   1161     6.0     26     48       105.5
2.  Holley,Ray            132     708     5.4       7     83        70.8

Ray is also third on the team in catches with 34 for 304 yards.

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/holley_ray00.html

WMSbound

Quote from: hogwildUofA on November 18, 2012, 04:50:17 pm
I don't I just think that if he was a little darker he would be looked at a little more serious..he had over 6,000 career yard a McCory thats pretty impressive
no disrespect to what best did in his career, but I would prefer a 4,000 yd career back in 6/7a than a 6,000 yd back in 2a. I'm a 2a homer, but if I was recruiting SOS would play a giant determining factor on who I went after. And yes I know there are 2a backs that have went on to great college careers, but odds are in your favor if you go after that 4,000 yd guy.

ng71

2a players don't get looked at much in d 1  best  is a really good back though

bleudog

November 18, 2012, 05:56:25 pm #14 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:01:49 pm by bleudog
Quote from: WMSbound on November 18, 2012, 05:27:04 pm
Quote from: hogwildUofA on November 18, 2012, 04:50:17 pm
no disrespect to what best did in his career, but I would prefer a 4,000 yd career back in 6/7a than a 6,000 yd back in 2a. I'm a 2a homer, but if I was recruiting SOS would play a giant determining factor on who I went after. And yes I know there are 2a backs that have went on to great college careers, but odds are in your favor if you go after that 4,000 yd guy.

The good small high school players are out there but the pressure to win is too great on FBS coaches to take a chance on them.  I applaud Dykes for not holding the fact KD's family lived in a small school district against him.  For all his faults, Petrino didn't hold that against Byran Jones either.  But when those two dominated their playoff games the way they did it lessened the risk a great deal. 

Unfortunately, junior college is the normal weeding out system the FBS uses when the HS competition level is a question.

COACH-Mike

Muldrow is really tight with La Tech from Mineral Springs as a DT.

bleudog

Quote from: COACH-Mike on November 18, 2012, 11:41:34 pm
Muldrow is really tight with La Tech from Mineral Springs as a DT.

Dawgs could use the help.

Total Defense:  #120 Louisiana Tech  518.45/game
Scoring Defense:  #110 Louisiana Tech  37.27/game

Good news is they are 9-2.

Total Offense:  #1 Louisiana Tech  581.27/game
Scoring Offense:  #1 Louisiana Tech    52.27/game

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1028

good times

I wish asu would get Logan. It doesn't matter what color he is he can run the ball. If you give this kid a college weight room, college coaches, and every thing that goes with it they would have a monster in a year or two. I think the upside to a 2a kid is the lack of coaching they have had. The 2a kids can really grow learning technique.

hornets23byers

Yea but in them conferences up north the talent level they play are horrible that could hurt him wish he could had played some tougher teams no doubt he can play somewhere maybe d 2

WRfan2009

Quote from: good times on November 19, 2012, 08:32:41 am
I wish asu would get Logan. It doesn't matter what color he is he can run the ball. If you give this kid a college weight room, college coaches, and every thing that goes with it they would have a monster in a year or two. I think the upside to a 2a kid is the lack of coaching they have had. The 2a kids can really grow learning technique.
same thing could be said for Eric Wilcoxson from walnut ridge. The kid is a stud. He put the whole team on his back against strong offense and defense side of the ball

hogwildUofA

Quote from: WRfan2009 on November 19, 2012, 10:01:58 am
same thing could be said for Eric Wilcoxson from walnut ridge. The kid is a stud. He put the whole team on his back against strong offense and defense side of the ball
I agree he comes from a great family I played with his older brother and he is way better but a great work ethic and great person but dang he is a monster...is any schools looking at him?

WRfan2009

Quote from: hogwildUofA on November 19, 2012, 06:18:31 pm
Quote from: WRfan2009 on November 19, 2012, 10:01:58 am
I agree he comes from a great family I played with his older brother and he is way better but a great work ethic and great person but dang he is a monster...is any schools looking at him?
He has plenty of options for baseball he would like to play both sports in college but no one has sent any tapes out. And his older brother was way better tackler than he is

Logans Mom

November 21, 2012, 03:50:43 pm #22 Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:58:11 pm by Logans Mom
Guys from small schools are definitely in shape because they have to play both ways and usually special teams also.  This is a serious question....why should it matter if you play AA ball or 7A ball if you proved you can run the forty in 4.4 seconds at a combine?  I know there are kids that have better times than that, but what are they exactly looking for?  We want to do all that we can to help get Logan recruited to a great school, but this is all new to us.  I am fine with him going to play ball for a D2 school because our main concern is getting the education that he needs to possibly become a doctor.  These are just questions that I have been wondering about. I just don't understand the point of being AA or from the biggest school in the state.  If you compete with those big schools at combines and still do well and have comparable times with the kids from bigger schools, what else can you do?  This may not help Logan this year, but it may help a great kid in the future that plays AA ball if anyone has great advice.  Happy Thanksgiving to all  :D!

Forgot to add....Logan gets pretty dark in the summer but there is NO WAY that white boy can rap :D!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Logans Mom on November 21, 2012, 03:50:43 pm
Guys from small schools are definitely in shape because they have to play both ways and usually special teams also.  This is a serious question....why should it matter if you play AA ball or 7A ball if you proved you can run the forty in 4.4 seconds at a combine?  I know there are kids that have better times than that, but what are they exactly looking for?  We want to do all that we can to help get Logan recruited to a great school, but this is all new to us.  I am fine with him going to play ball for a D2 school because our main concern is getting the education that he needs to possibly become a doctor.  These are just questions that I have been wondering about. I just don't understand the point of being AA or from the biggest school in the state.  If you compete with those big schools at combines and still do well and have comparable times with the kids from bigger schools, what else can you do?  This may not help Logan this year, but it may help a great kid in the future that plays AA ball if anyone has great advice.  Happy Thanksgiving to all  :D!

Send out videos to all schools he is interested in.

Logans Mom

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 21, 2012, 03:57:43 pm

Before the season started, I found several D2 schools that he was interested in.  I went online and found email address for the recruit for our area and sent the link to his highlight tape on youtube, his ACT score, and a copy of his high school transcript.  We were told at a combine, that coaches anymore would rather just click on the computer and get as much info as possible.  I can honestly say that I did not send to a D1 school but not sure where his Coach has sent things to.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Logans Mom on November 21, 2012, 04:04:39 pm

Before the season started, I found several D2 schools that he was interested in.  I went online and found email address for the recruit for our area and sent the link to his highlight tape on youtube, his ACT score, and a copy of his high school transcript.  We were told at a combine, that coaches anymore would rather just click on the computer and get as much info as possible.  I can honestly say that I did not send to a D1 school but not sure where his Coach has sent things to.

Well good luck to him. I hope yal find the right fit somewhere.

Logans Mom

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 21, 2012, 04:11:17 pm
Quote from: Logans Mom on November 21, 2012, 04:04:39 pm

Well good luck to him. I hope yal find the right fit somewhere.
Thank you much!  Just going to pray that all together we make the right decisions!  Happy Holidays  ;)!

LionX2

Logans mom if the coaches or the school he is at has Hudl it will be much easier(and cheaper) to get his highlight film out there.  And on your other question about the difference between 2a and 7a.  The kids have to compete day in and day out for their position in a bigger school.  Colleges know this and figure that the level of competition is greater between schools.  Unfortunately at the smaller schools some kids start that have no business playing because of lack of numbers in the system.  Translation, worse competition. 

tdn (Tim)

Forgot to add....Logan gets pretty dark in the summer but there is NO WAY that white boy can rap :D!

What size is Logan?  Players from AA schools will be evaluated to a higher standard because of the lack of competition.  The reality is that very few AA schools have good defenses.  A team may have 1 or 2 good defensive players but few have overall good defenses so Coaches take that into account when they see stats.  They are more likely to look at size, speed, agility, work ethic.  JC has had numerous players over the years put up big stats on either Offense, Defense or both.  Few have been recruited to D1.  But when the ones who are recruited do well, it helps those who follow.  Kevin Payne made it to the NFL, Byran Jones has done well at UA and Koby McKinnon did very well at ASU.  When Coaches can see that the program has produced at higher levels, it helps.  ASU has a Coach who came up from a small school so he may be more likely to take a small school talent than Coaches who have little experience with players from small schools.

About all you can do as a parent is have a video put together that showcases his talents.  I'd include a short bio that includes his physical stats - height, weight, 40 speed, strength (weight lifting levels), etc and then send it out to any D1 schools in which he has interest.  I'm guessing he is a senior so too late to hit the Summer Camps which is another way to get noticed.

Logans Mom

November 26, 2012, 03:40:16 pm #29 Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:46:03 pm by Logans Mom
Quote from: tdn (Tim) on November 26, 2012, 01:45:06 pm

What size is Logan?  Players from AA schools will be evaluated to a higher standard because of the lack of competition.  The reality is that very few AA schools have good defenses.  A team may have 1 or 2 good defensive players but few have overall good defenses so Coaches take that into account when they see stats.  They are more likely to look at size, speed, agility, work ethic.  JC has had numerous players over the years put up big stats on either Offense, Defense or both.  Few have been recruited to D1.  But when the ones who are recruited do well, it helps those who follow.  Kevin Payne made it to the NFL, Byran Jones has done well at UA and Koby McKinnon did very well at ASU.  When Coaches can see that the program has produced at higher levels, it helps.  ASU has a Coach who came up from a small school so he may be more likely to take a small school talent than Coaches who have little experience with players from small schools.

About all you can do as a parent is have a video put together that showcases his talents.  I'd include a short bio that includes his physical stats - height, weight, 40 speed, strength (weight lifting levels), etc and then send it out to any D1 schools in which he has interest.  I'm guessing he is a senior so too late to hit the Summer Camps which is another way to get noticed.
Here are his measurables:
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 175 lbs
Forty Time: 4.44 seconds
Bench Press: 275 lbs
Squat: 425 lbs
Power Clean: 290 lbs
Vertical Jump: 36.5 inches
Broad Jump: 9'8"

Thank you for the advice!

brown2010

and no one in this world has more heart than he does. there are several that can equal but not more

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas