• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dardanelle beats Atkins as time expires

Started by SandLizard04, February 10, 2006, 09:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SandLizard04

Wow, what a game. Best high school basketball game I've seen in years (I don't see that many, but still). An Atkins player nailed two free throws with 4.6 seconds left to put the Red Devils up 67-66. Dardanelle then in-bounded the ball and it ended up in Matt Haney's hands, and he nailed a three-pointer as time expired to give the Sand Lizards the win 69-67. Atkins had already clinched the 5AAA title, but, depending on the outcome of Pottsville/Clarksville, the win put Dardanelle into contention for 2nd place.

The Red Devils and Sand Lizards put on a show tonight. They will be a force in the state tournament here in a couple of weeks.

ballamane55

Wow what a game and a proud day to be a lizard. Clarksville beat pottsville so now Dardanelle will be 2nd seed in the district tournament.

kijex13

Quote from: SandLizard04 on February 10, 2006, 09:59:19 pm
Wow, what a game. Best high school basketball game I've seen in years (I don't see that many, but still). An Atkins player nailed two free throws with 4.6 seconds left to put the Red Devils up 67-66. Dardanelle then in-bounded the ball and it ended up in Matt Haney's hands, and he nailed a three-pointer as time expired to give the Sand Lizards the win 69-67. Atkins had already clinched the 5AAA title, but, depending on the outcome of Pottsville/Clarksville, the win put Dardanelle into contention for 2nd place.

The Red Devils and Sand Lizards put on a show tonight. They will be a force in the state tournament here in a couple of weeks.

I don't think both of them will make the state tournament.  I don't see the 5AAA getting more than one boys team out of regionals, and I think the 6AAA could sweep.

whoknew

Does anyone know the Pottsville/Clarksville score from tonight?  I see that Clarksville won, but Pottsville won the first match up, so the point-spread would be the determining factor in district seeding. (I think Pottsville won the first game by 7) Also, what is the deciding factor in the unlikely event that this game was decided by 7, too?

razorsharp94

That was truly one of the better games I have seen in a long time.  The best game I have ever saw was the AAAA title game last year but that game was close.  I have to say that seemed like the longest 4.6 seconds in my lifetime.  What a shot by Haney but what was even more impressive by Haney is of course he was pumped but when the crowd mauled the hand shake Haney shuck them off to make sure he shook every Atkins players hands.  Pure class.  It was an entertaining game and the 5AAA has improved especially the top 3 to 4 teams but I say it will be hard to get even one team in the state tourney b/c the 6AAA is so tough.  If the 5AAA and the 4AAA went to regionals together the 5AAA would get some teams but it will be hard, I can say that Atkins and Dardanelle do have a chance b/c athletically they match up better w/ the 6AAA.  Pottsville plays hard so they have a chance but they will either play PA or CAC probably so that is going to be so tough.  Anyway congrats to Dardanelle and Atkins on a great game.  Hope to see that same thing in the district finals.

SandLizard04

Another guy and myself were talking about how it's a shame that the two best basketball districts in the state this year will have to play each others in regionals.

Dardanelle, Atkins, Pulaski Academy, and Little Rock Christian are all great teams, and CAC, Pottsville, Clarksville, and DeWitt could make a run, too.

fanofthegame

I was at the game and I must say, it was a fantastic ballgame.  Atkins had already clinched the one and Dardanelle needed a win for the two.  In my opinion, the two best teams(over-all talent wise) in conference got the automatic berths to Regionals.  That is not knocking any of the other 5AAA teams though.  I agree with SandLizard 04, it is a shame that the 5AAA and 6AAA match up in Regionals.  It will be a very tough task for ANY of the 5AAA teams to make it out of Regionals.  That conference has LRC and 2,3,4,5 are all quality ball teams.  Whoever makes it out of the 5AAA district tourney as the champion, may be the only team to advance to the state tournament.  NOT becasue they are weak teams, just because the 6AAA is pretty loaded.  Good luck 5AAA and represent us all.

Mark Few's pupil

It was a great game last night and Chaten played the best game that I have ever seen him play.  He defended pretty well, took only 1 bad shot and made some plays that only an athlete like him can do.  The impressive thing about the win was the fact that the Lizards were in foul trouble and Coach Thurman had to go 9 and 10 deep.  Will McCormick again showed that he is a tough match-up for any 4 in the league.  I think the big baskets for the Lizards were the two three's by May in the fourth quarter when he usually doesn't shoot very well.  I think that this was a match up of the finals in district.  May the best team win and I hope they pack the place Saturday night at Clinton.  I know I will be there.

SouthpawSensation

Now if only the conference tournament will get some decent coverage, and aphsports.com knows what I'm talking about......

Mark Few's pupil

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on February 11, 2006, 04:34:12 pm
Now if only the conference tournament will get some decent coverage, and aphsports.com knows what I'm talking about......

Yes I do......

razorsharp94

Quote from: SandLizard04 on February 11, 2006, 07:46:24 am
Dardanelle, Atkins, Pulaski Academy, and Little Rock Christian are all great teams, and CAC, Pottsville, Clarksville, and DeWitt could make a run, too.

I would say that Little Rock Christian, Pulaski Academy, and Central Arkansas Christian are head and shoulders above Atkins and Dardanelle.  That's not a slight on Atkins and Dardanelle those 3 are that great.  I would also think that Lonoke will be in there somewhere.  They are QUICK.  The 5AAA has put out a much better brand of basketball this year than years past.  I look for Dardanelle to be even better next year but you would still think that at most the 5AAA will get one state spot, but that is why you play the games.  I can't wait for state and regionals.

athlete 23

i would hope that our conference gets a state spot  after the 6AAA swept us last year  but i really dont think there is a team in our conference that match up well enough to beat a team from 6 AAA they are all to tough. but i hope atkins or dardanelle can beat off of the powerhouses of that conference

Mark Few's pupil

Quote from: razorsharp94 on February 11, 2006, 09:54:44 pm
I would say that Little Rock Christian, Pulaski Academy, and Central Arkansas Christian are head and shoulders above Atkins and Dardanelle.

Why would you say that?  Just because of the rankings.  Have you seen either of those two play this year?  Dardanelle and Atkins returned almost all of their players from last year and are much improved.  The 6AAA may sweep the 5AAA in boys but they are not "head and shoulders" above them.

razorsharp94

and yes I would say head and shoulders. 

Mark Few's pupil

Quote from: razorsharp94 on February 15, 2006, 12:08:40 pm

You didn't answer my question.  Have you seen them play this year?

D56

I have a question.  How many of the 6AAA teams have you seen play THIS YEAR?

athletic supporter

Quote from: aphsports.com on February 15, 2006, 01:15:18 pm
Quote from: razorsharp94 on February 15, 2006, 12:08:40 pm

read reply #4^^^^^

You didn't answer my question. Have you seen them play this year?

razorsharp94

Look at the title of the reply.  I have seen them all play and yes I would say head and shoulders.  As improved as the 5AAA has been in my eyes the 6AAA is better you could make the case that the 6AAA is a top 3 basketball conference in the whole state all classifications.  I don't think there is a better AAAA conference and you would say the AAAAA Central would be better and the East could make that same argument.  LR Christian is probably #2 or #3 in the state.  PA and CAC are legit top 10 teams in the whole state.  Dardanelle and Atkins are really good teams, but the difference that they will see in the regional is defense.  LRC, PA, and CAC will get after it.  I would think Dewitt will be tough on D too.  Dardanelle don't play a lick of D and I have seen Atkins have good and bad nights on D.  You can say what you will but I think it will be hard for the 5AAA to get more than one team in regionals and that one isn't going be easy but that's why they play the games. 

athletic supporter

Quote from: razorsharp94 on February 15, 2006, 03:21:07 pm
Look at the title of the reply. I have seen them all play and yes I would say head and shoulders. As improved as the 5AAA has been in my eyes the 6AAA is better you could make the case that the 6AAA is a top 3 basketball conference in the whole state all classifications. I don't think there is a better AAAA conference and you would say the AAAAA Central would be better and the East could make that same argument. LR Christian is probably #2 or #3 in the state. PA and CAC are legit top 10 teams in the whole state. Dardanelle and Atkins are really good teams, but the difference that they will see in the regional is defense. LRC, PA, and CAC will get after it. I would think Dewitt will be tough on D too. Dardanelle don't play a lick of D and I have seen Atkins have good and bad nights on D. You can say what you will but I think it will be hard for the 5AAA to get more than one team in regionals and that one isn't going be easy but that's why they play the games.

Dewitt will not be there. They lost to Lonoke in the District Tourney. PA and CAC top 10 in the entire state? You are joking, right? I will agree with you that the main difference will be defensive play, though. I also think that the teams from the 6AAA will have a distinct height advantage which will hurt the 5AAA teams.

razorsharp94

February 15, 2006, 03:44:46 pm #19 Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 03:47:25 pm by razorsharp94
Didn't know Dewitt lost, but no I am not joking about PA and CAC being in the top 10 in the whole state.  PA took LRC, who is REALLY good, into OT at PA and lost by two at CAC; and CAC and PA split the season series.  CAC is currently 14-11 but 7 of those losses came before the football team got there and they played some tough early competition w/ NLR, and LR Mills on early schedule.  Also, they have two losses to Little Rock Christian(one by eight and one by two) who is really good if you get my drift.  I am not even from Little Rock (Russellville) I am just trying to be objective and this is what I see.  To be quite honest with you I hope i am wrong and every team from the 5AAA has a chance but I don't see it.

athletic supporter

Quote from: razorsharp94 on February 15, 2006, 03:44:46 pm
Didn't know Dewitt lost, but no I am not joking about PA and CAC being in the top 10 in the whole state.  PA took LRC, who is REALLY good, into OT at PA and lost by two at CAC; and CAC and PA split the season series.  CAC is currently 14-11 but 7 of those losses came before the football team got there and they played some tough early competition w/ NLR, and LR Mills on early schedule.  Also, they have two losses to Little Rock Christian(one by eight and one by two) who is really good.  I am not even from Little Rock (Russellville) I am just trying to be objective and this is what I see.  To be quite honest with you I hope i am wrong and every team from the 5AAA has a chance but I don't see it.

I'm not arguing with you. I live in the River Valley also, and would love to see many 5AAA teams advanc past regionals. I honestly think the 1 seed out of the 5AAA might be the only team to advance in the boys or girls brackets.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas