• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Switch Football and Baseball Seasons

Started by OB11, March 08, 2017, 01:59:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

With the state legislature and the AAA doing all kinds of crazy things lately, I'd like them to consider one more thing.  Switch baseball and football seasons.  Play the high school baseball season from Late August into the end of October and play the football season from early February into the early part of May.  I know this would never happen. But it's interesting to think about and would make sense to me for a few reasons.

Weather: You would have much fewer rainouts for baseball if you played it in the "fall".  I put fall in "" because it usually still feels like mid summer for the most part.  Football is less susceptible to rain outs and can be played when the weather is less than ideal.  You would also not have to deal with nearly as many heat related injuries sustained from football if it was played in the spring.  It is usually cooler in the "spring" months and student athletes would therefore be safer.

Injuries:  As stated above, the heat related injuries would be less of a factor if the seasons were switched.  This would also give football coaches more time with their athletes before their season started to teach technique in safe tackling which would lead to fewer injuries IMO. Some coaches have mandatory summer programs and workouts but a lot of other schools do not.  This would ensure that the coaches had time with the athletes before putting pads on (not just the 4 days or whatever it is with the set up now before full pad practice is allowed).  They would also have more time in the weight room to build muscle and get stronger which could prevent more injury.  This would be especially true for incoming 10th graders.  It would give their bodies more time to mature and get more accustomed to the high school game which in turn makes it safer for them.  On the baseball side of it, I think would see a lower rate of arm injury.  Most guys would be coming out of their summer baseball season into their high school season with their arms already conditioned and they would not be throwing every day in the bitter cold.  (This could lead to overuse which is a problem that would need to be addressed and I think it is being addressed with the AAA's new pitch count that went into effect this season). The pitch count is not perfect but I think it does show that the AAA is trying to do something to protect arms.

365 Fatigue: I think if the seasons were switched it would put less pressure on football coaches to do so much in the summer months. You get a lot of kids that just get flat burned out from going year round with any sport but especially with football.  The AAA could approve 7 on 7 events to be played during the fall and give athletes and coaches more of a break during the summer.

Yes I know this would cause major problems with college recruiting, basketball season, and a number of other things. So I know this would never happen but it is something to ponder.  I'm curious what everyone else thinks about this and what other benefits/problems this would pose?

southarkdaddy

I see this as much more beneficial to baseball than football. And football run ls the world.

BigLion10

Why change Friday night lights in the fall no one cares about baseball

OB11

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 08, 2017, 08:50:50 pm
Why change Friday night lights in the fall no one cares about baseball

Because "fall" is now triple digit/high 90's temperatures. Lol

OverPrivileged

bigchief72455

Not to mention National Signing Day. A college is not going to want to sign a kid in the fall and then the player turn out to be a flop in the Spring.

Lions84

Do both in the Fall , Have Baseball on Sat afternoon.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Lions84 on March 27, 2017, 02:20:02 pm
Do both in the Fall , Have Baseball on Sat afternoon.

A lot of kids play both sports, they can't attend practices for both in the same season. And baseball plays more than one game a week.

sevenof400

Quote from: southarkdaddy on March 08, 2017, 08:02:15 pm
I see this as much more beneficial to baseball than football. And football run ls the world.

Hardly.

southarkdaddy

Please.  If it isn't an action taken to benefit football, it's not happening.  No matter what other sports it benefits. 

OB11

Quote from: southarkdaddy on April 05, 2017, 10:45:44 am
Please.  If it isn't an action taken to benefit football, it's not happening.  No matter what other sports it benefits.

Very true.

jrhall2

Do you know how bad this would effect football programs especially at smaller schools where they share athletes? Now there would be zero off season for football guys who play basketball and basketball would go 3-4 games into football.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas