• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MARION PATRIOTS

Started by q_dog_06, August 25, 2016, 04:50:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

q_dog_06

Has anyone checked out the patriots this summer if so what is the team looking like this year

Oldbomber

Typical Marion, Will not be a conference title contender!

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: Oldbomber on August 27, 2016, 12:18:44 pm

"Oldbomber" Safe to assume you're from the Baxter County area. Mountain Home makes such a habit out of worrying about Marion. Worry about your own football team first! They need it way more than Marion.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Oldbomber on August 27, 2016, 12:18:44 pm

You will be very surprised this year. Ton of talent, just a super young and inexperienced offensive line. If they mature and gel towards mid season....watch out.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on August 29, 2016, 09:45:08 am
You will be very surprised this year. Ton of talent, just a super young and inexperienced offensive line. If they mature and gel towards mid season....watch out.

Which reminds me of an old joke about the NY Gaints o-line in the 70's, the guys yelled "watch out he's coming" as they missed their blocks on the line of scrimmage.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on August 29, 2016, 01:36:48 pm
Which reminds me of an old joke about the NY Gaints o-line in the 70's, the guys yelled "watch out he's coming" as they missed their blocks on the line of scrimmage.

Nothing better than the good ol Olay blocking

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on August 29, 2016, 01:36:48 pm

Meanwhile, 60 yards downfield, Tom Young has made 11 defenders miss off of a screen pass, crossed the goal line, makes it to Bleacher Report for that play, then steals your girl (maybe I exaggerated that last one, but the first three parts definitely happened). There are ways to play with a young offensive line.

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on August 31, 2016, 10:42:51 am
Meanwhile, 60 yards downfield, Tom Young has made 11 defenders miss off of a screen pass, crossed the goal line, makes it to Bleacher Report for that play, then steals your girl (maybe I exaggerated that last one, but the first three parts definitely happened). There are ways to play with a young offensive line.

I don't see a Tom Young listed in the history of the Giants.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Giants_players

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on August 31, 2016, 12:15:20 pm
I don't see a Tom Young listed in the history of the Giants.....

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2881589/5721d97cdfe23b2d68c01197
Eli wishes he had a running back that could do all of that! Haha

Redwolves8526

Quote from: RushingRed14 on August 31, 2016, 01:18:26 pm
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2881589/5721d97cdfe23b2d68c01197
Eli wishes he had a running back that could do all of that! Haha

Tom is one of the better runningbacks in 6A. Hoping for a great year from him

ricepig

August 31, 2016, 02:56:55 pm #10 Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:20:18 am by ricepig
I bet you guys sure are glad to see Hall back on the schedule...........

tmycjy

To all Marion fans want to wish your team luck this year when the season starts I go for my team

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on August 31, 2016, 02:56:55 pm

And you guys aren't? Lol I don't think either of our records were great against NLR or Cabot

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on August 31, 2016, 02:56:55 pm

Oh sure. We're happy to play anybody that we SHOULD be playing. Why have conferences if you aren't gonna follow them? And much to the previous point made, I can think of another school or two who are elated to not see playoff scenarios that include a trip up I-540.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on September 01, 2016, 08:10:59 am
And you guys aren't? Lol I don't think either of our records were great against NLR or Cabot

Iron sharpens iron, you gain nothing from playing them, or didn't the last time they were in the conference.

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on September 01, 2016, 09:45:08 am
Oh sure. We're happy to play anybody that we SHOULD be playing. Why have conferences if you aren't gonna follow them? And much to the previous point made, I can think of another school or two who are elated to not see playoff scenarios that include a trip up I-540.

You do know that football is the only sport you will be playing this year in which your conference foes will all be from your classification?

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on September 01, 2016, 10:18:45 am
You do know that football is the only sport you will be playing this year in which your conference foes will all be from your classification?

And surely you know that the gap in enrollment from top of 7A to the bottom of 6A is 1600 students and the gap in enrollment from the top of 6A to the bottom of 5A is 800. The parity in a gap of 800 is actually desirable as opposed to 1600. So, we SHOULD be playing 5A/6A as opposed to the previous alignment. And I'll let you ask Texarkana and Siloam Springs how they feel about "conference foes" being the same in every sport.

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on September 01, 2016, 11:32:49 am
And surely you know that the gap in enrollment from top of 7A to the bottom of 6A is 1600 students and the gap in enrollment from the top of 6A to the bottom of 5A is 800. The parity in a gap of 800 is actually desirable as opposed to 1600. So, we SHOULD be playing 5A/6A as opposed to the previous alignment. And I'll let you ask Texarkana and Siloam Springs how they feel about "conference foes" being the same in every sport.

Jonesboro didn't have any problems playing the 7A foes, they didn't win them all, but the competition was better and prepared them for the state championships they won in basketball and baseball, and semi-final runs in football. Baseball will decent, but basketball will miss NLR and Cabot.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on September 01, 2016, 05:44:27 pm
Jonesboro didn't have any problems playing the 7A foes, they didn't win them all, but the competition was better and prepared them for the state championships they won in basketball and baseball, and semi-final runs in football. Baseball will decent, but basketball will miss NLR and Cabot.

The 7A population of Jonesboro gives them a lot of liberty to manufacture rosters capable of these runs. Swift does it for basketball (and missing NLR means next-to-nothing since they had to cheat and forfeit championships, and Cabot was swept by Jonesboro and Marion in basketball en route to a 7A title).
Valley View does it for volleyball.
Not a luxury the rest of the 6A-East have.

I think you and I agree on this more than we lead on, ricepig. You just seem to enjoy playing devil's advocate with Marion and WM more than the average Jonesboro fan. :)

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on September 02, 2016, 01:03:20 pm
The 7A population of Jonesboro gives them a lot of liberty to manufacture rosters capable of these runs. Swift does it for basketball (and missing NLR means next-to-nothing since they had to cheat and forfeit championships, and Cabot was swept by Jonesboro and Marion in basketball en route to a 7A title).
Valley View does it for volleyball.
Not a luxury the rest of the 6A-East have.

I think you and I agree on this more than we lead on, ricepig. You just seem to enjoy playing devil's advocate with Marion and WM more than the average Jonesboro fan. :)

The population of Jonesboro means nothing, it's still based on school district enrollment. They are one of the larger ones, but being bigger didn't help WM or Central the last few years, did it? WM and Marion swap students all the time, really no different than the kids in Jonesboro.

I'm no Devil's advocate, that would make me a WM fan, haha.

fastdrop

Quote from: RushingRed14 on September 01, 2016, 09:45:08 am
Marion = Glutton for punishment. Might want to drop Wynne and pick up WMCS.

PatFan

Quote from: fastdrop on September 03, 2016, 10:04:54 am

Well, if you look back, Marion actually wins right at half the time against Wynne. The game got ugly the other day, but they're

Besides, we know Wynne is tough. I'd be more scared if the Patriots started playing state powers like Ashdown or something.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on September 02, 2016, 02:51:34 pm
The population of Jonesboro means nothing, it's still based on school district enrollment. They are one of the larger ones, but being bigger didn't help WM or Central the last few years, did it? WM and Marion swap students all the time, really no different than the kids in Jonesboro.

I'm no Devil's advocate, that would make me a WM fan, haha.

Such a PR-machine response from a guy well-versed in the practices of the Jonesboro area. :)  Tip of the cap to you, sir (especially for the WM jab).

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: fastdrop on September 03, 2016, 10:04:54 am

You understand that the Wynne/Marion rivalry is a tradition that dates back to the 80's right? We will gladly swap home wins with them year to year. Marion lost the starting QB on the 2nd drive of the night and were already down two starting offensive linemen. Wynne is quality, make no mistake. If they can win a share of the 5A-East title having lost to Marion, they can surely do plenty more having defeated Marion.

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on September 06, 2016, 08:36:25 am
Such a PR-machine response from a guy well-versed in the practices of the Jonesboro area. :)  Tip of the cap to you, sir (especially for the WM jab).

Unfortunately, most of the kids are leaving JPS to play elsewhere in the city. What's the number of WM's on the Pat's roster these days?? I know it usually shows up more in basketball because football has been so bad at both places for awhile, under 10?

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

The only three I can think of right now were either Marion residents going to WM on the DL and got caught, private school transfer, or went to WM because they couldn't behave in Marion.

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on September 07, 2016, 11:01:25 am
The only three I can think of right now were either Marion residents going to WM on the DL and got caught, private school transfer, or went to WM because they couldn't behave in Marion.

I know a few years ago there were some WM kids that played on basketball team, but that might have been 5 years or so. Needless to say, it's not to hard to change residence by renting in one town over the other, it happens lots of places.

Made

Quote from: RushingRed14 on September 07, 2016, 11:01:25 am
Don't forget one of your starting corners.....

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: Made on September 10, 2016, 12:14:56 am
Don't forget one of your starting corners.....

....Oh, you're back to football. This is the first year that a Marion resident isn't on the defensive line of the devils in 4 years. Seems fairly frequent in the area for football. Basketball isn't quite as bad.

fastdrop

Still 0fer against the Devils. One of these days  ;D

justalionfan

Can't believe Marion beat Searcy.

Redwolves8526

Game wasn't even really that close. 35-14 final. Really been improving over the past couple weeks

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

At least somebody in Crittenden County ended the county's winless streak to Searcy finally! Searcy made the right moves in the coaching department, but Marion finally caught up to them!
6A-East finally has one of those 3-way scenarios for seeding that has been missing in recent years. So Marion beat Searcy 21. Searcy beat West Memphis by 7. WM beat Marion by 12. Not sure how this works, but I know 13 is the max out number of points for a tie-breaker in seeding. Since Marion is the only team in the mix with a max-points win, do they get the 3 seed if the rest of the season holds true?

thescout

no..three way tie works like this:

They look at the total points in all conference wins.  Max is 13 per win.  The team with the lowest point total is kicked to the bottom of the three teams.  It then goes to head to head match up between the two teams that are left.  So if it started today, I believe that Searcy would be the low point and put on the bottom and it would put WM/Marion head to head.  Which would place WM 3rd, Marion, 4th, and Searcy 5th..but, there is still alot of football left to play..and some important games coming up

ricepig

All three still have the opportunity to play Jonesboro and PB, it will work itself out.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Oh sure. A lot of football left. But, I can't recall a time in recent years when we had a "perfect triangle." I'm fairly confident these three teams are not quite there to defeat PB or Jboogie, but these matchups are a lot more interesting now. And as for this Friday, may Jonesboro win by 50! (ok, ok, 21 seems more realisitic)

PatFan

Bomber_Believer

I don't think I've ever seen a field goal kick "punt" before last night.  Can anyone explain how that counts as a punt?

WPWells

I love how every time this happens, someone from the opposing team asks about it.

It's simply the rule in high school ball, and a lot of teams have placekickers with huge legs that can kick farther than punt. Dardanelle is a prime example of a team that's done that forever. Not sure what there is to "explain" how it counts except just to say that it does

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: Fred Bird on October 16, 2016, 12:08:53 am
I love how every time this happens, someone from the opposing team asks about it.

It's simply the rule in high school ball, and a lot of teams have placekickers with huge legs that can kick farther than punt. Dardanelle is a prime example of a team that's done that forever. Not sure what there is to "explain" how it counts except just to say that it does

Exactly. Only in college and NFL does the ball come back to the line of scrimmage if the FG attempt is no good. It's just one of those exclusively high school rules (kinda like how nothing can come out of the end-zone on a kick off).

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas