• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

footballfan-tastic

I like Strong and I don't think he had a real chance at TX.  Big money boosters didn't want him to begin with and we always working against him and his success.
I'm hoping we go after Norvell, watched Memphis and UCF, that's two good young coaches having success and can score points. That would make Hogs fun to watch, get a great DC aboard, recruit like heck and we will be ok in a year or two.  If we can't outbid Memphis we don't need to be in the game. 

footballfan-tastic

Maybe we need to talk to Leach and Miles.  Both have impressive win loss records and Les has a title. 

AirWarren

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 03, 2017, 07:10:59 pm
Maybe we need to talk to Leach and Miles.  Both have impressive win loss records and Les has a title. 

LOL.

Les couldn't consistently win at LSU. South LOUISIANA!!!

bdubyab60

Boosters don't have anything to do with X's and O's though. Did CS get a fair shake, probably not. I just don't think he moves the needle for us.

Leach is crazy but he would be fun and I think that would get fans excited.

Les did win consistently. Just towards the end he couldn't win the big games when he ran out of luck. Again don't think he moves the needle for us.

JMO. Norvell, Kiffin, Leach maybe Venables bring excitement. Would improve us offensively immediately. Find and pay a darn good DC/OC some real money and see what happens.

If we get outside of those the stands could be empty a while. Even though Morris has been talked about. I haven't seen much love from fans.

bigworm

Venables would be above all my first pick. I want a guy that knows defense. Id take Charlie too. I think charlie actually would immediately boost recruiting as well as Venables

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: AirWarren on December 03, 2017, 07:32:35 pm
LOL.

Les couldn't consistently win at LSU. South LOUISIANA!!!

What, he's 114 -  34 for a 770% win record.  His worst year was 8-5 in 12 seasons, two national title games and 1 title.  8-4 record in bowl games.

bdubyab60

Quote from: bigworm on December 03, 2017, 08:06:29 pm
Venables would be above all my first pick. I want a guy that knows defense. Id take Charlie too. I think charlie actually would immediately boost recruiting as well as Venables
I can go with Venables.

footballfan-tastic

Venables is a great DC, but an unknown as a HC.  Says he has no interest at the moment. 

bdubyab60

He was just mentioned a few times. At any rate we should see something tomorrow or the next on who it is.

If we make it to next weekend then it's really a mess. Seems like there are several different groups and they all want different guys

beach bum

Gus thought wisely with his mind and not with his heart.... Minimum 10 wins in Auburn next year again.

bdubyab60

With some of the rumors flying around tonight. We may be about to screw this up real good.

Going from one end to the other. From offering 7 mil for a seasoned coach to offering our HC job to a position coach. Not a coordinator but a position coach. Simply because they think they need an Arkansas guy

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on December 03, 2017, 10:25:16 pm
Gus thought wisely with his mind and not with his heart.... Minimum 10 wins in Auburn next year again.
I don't think his heart was ever in it. He's was looking at being let go after LSU. Got on a run and he's parlayed that in to a raise.

After yesterday they should have never offered and darn sure shouldn't have wasted all day Today waiting on an answer.

There are still folks hanging on. Saying maybe he hasn't signed and that we can counter offer. Time to move on

RZback

Gus Bus was never coming to Arkansas unless Auburn fired him!   That wasn't even a for sure because if he could get a job in a different power 5 school, for sure another SEC school he would have taken it.  In that event we would have been his parachute and that's all.  He'd have been here a few years and out.  Those who think Gus really wants to be at UA are fantasizing.   Bad blood there and that's not a recipe for a successful marriage. 

gameoflife

Agreed, Gus doesn't want to be in Arkansas.  It will always be his safety net if he gets fired.
Hope we get a great coach.  I hate the rumor that we are looking at a position coach to be the HC.  Hope that's just a rumor. 

OB11

Would Arkansas fans be happy with hiring a high level coordinator from somewhere? I know Venables is a current coordinator, but would they be open to someone else not at a NC contender? I thought Mississippi State went the correct route in hiring a coordinator. Really thought Arkansas would do the same when they fired Bielema.

gameoflife

I  don't think hiring a coordinator is a good choice.  Not to say there are not a lot of very good coaches that are coordinators.  No experience as HC is or could be a big problem.  Also we need to concern how that will affect recruiting.  A guy with HC experience and has been winning is the smart move. 

bdubyab60

BOT meeting going on now. Supposedly to finalize AD choice. Then get the AD, Chancellor, BOT and the money guys all in the same page. Each group wants a different guy supposedly.

If you total up who everyone is talking about.

Chad Morris
Mike Norvell
Brent Venables
Lane Kiffin
Charlie Strong
Mike leach
Rhett Lashlee
Tim Horton

Seems a couple of these are higher than some of us may think and some are lower than we may think.

AD and HC could be named later today or tomorrow but could drag out the rest of the week.

Basically all we have done is eliminate Gus so far

footballfan-tastic

Venables is set to meet with UT as is Chad Morris.  Kiffen and Leach offer experience and recognition of name.  Strong has experience and is an Arkansas product.  Rough time at Texas but great at Louisville and now at S florida.  Norvell seems like a steal to me, done well at Memphis, took UCF to double overtime Saturday, 10 wins at Memphis and experience in several programs.  Lashlee and Horton, Arkansas ties, ties to Gus.  Not so sure about HC experience, none I am aware of.
I think UA needs someone with experience as HC.

Let's get moving on this, the waiting means that the names often showing up on the list of possibles will be gone. 

bdubyab60

Looks like all the media guys are pushing Morris on Twitter and on radio.

Horton is still an RB position coach. Lashlee is an OC I think.

We could end up in a bidding war for a mediocre hire.

With the early signing period and an already short class this doesn't look good.

I thought it was ok to wait on Gus because i thought these fools had a plan. They should have had an AD last week or promoted Peoples. There could be a plan but it sure doesn't look like it

bdubyab60

As I'm ranting. Sources say the Houston AD has accepted our position at Arkansas

footballfan-tastic

Arkansas hiring is chaotic.  Last week news 5 reported the hire of Gragg from Tulsa as new AD.  Now that seems to be wrong and we are looking at new candidates but no news.  What happened, did news 5 drop the ball?  Did the UA have no clue, did Gragg change his mind? 
Who is our coach?  Seems to be a case of too many chiefs in the mix.  What a travesty.

bdubyab60

The news dropped the ball on Gragg. Supposedly he had not even been offered or interviewed at the time.

That's why I say rumors. Cause I dont know squat. But this apparently is the new AD

bdubyab60

bleudog

bleudog

Saw something on a comment within a radio station's post.  Probably just more smoke, but:

Gragg was considered a guy Gus would like working with.  When Gus didn't come, Gragg was gone.

Yurachek is consider to be a guy that Kiffin would like working with....................

As the world turns.

bdubyab60

Yeah supposedly he tried to hire Kiffin At Houston. But basically got swayed by players there for Applewhite.

Kiffin surprisingly quiet on Twitter today lol

Bo Mattingly interviewed Venables. He asked him if he was a candidate. He said that's hard to answer. They have talked to my representatives and I'll leave it at that. Or along those lines. Said he is also loyal to where he is at.

So we have shown some interest but that doesn't sound like he's to interested in us

bdubyab60

There's an official release out now so this is a done deal. $850000 a year

Lionheart88

Quote from: beach bum on December 03, 2017, 10:25:16 pm
Pretty sure his heart is in Auburn considering that, if the reports are accurate, he took less money than Fayetteville was offering to stay in Auburn.

I like Norvell, he checks a lot of the right boxes, but 2 years as a HC isn't much.  He might be great, but it'd be a gamble.  Right now I think we need more certainty than that.

I feel like a coordinator would be the wrong direction.  Head coaching is just different from being a coordinator.  Maybe if it's someone like Randy Shannon who's been a HC before I could see it.  Same with a position coach.  I'd love to see Horton come back as OC, but Head Coach is a bit much.

There are a lot of names that have flown completely under the radar that Surprise me.  Skip Holtz is an obvious one: 18 years of head coaching experience, 2 CUSA Championships and 2 runner-up finishes, recruiting experience up and down the east coast and in Louisiana, and to top it all off he's a Fayetteville High School alumnus.  Then there's someone like Jeff Monken at Army.  After several deep runs in the 1-AA playoffs, he went to West Point and took over a program that hadn't won anything in a long time. In the last two years they've had 2 8-win seasons (maybe 9 this year, Army-Navy is Saturday), snapped Navy's 14 year winning streak in the Army-Navy Game, and has Army in the cusp of their first Commanders in Chief's Trophy in 20 years.  They're fun to watch too, 4 games this year's they've had over 400 yards rushing, 12 individual 100+ yard performances so far.  There's probably half a dozen other guys like that no one's talking about.

sportsguy80

December 04, 2017, 06:07:41 pm #1428 Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:24:12 pm by sportsguy80
Ok I just saw this AD hire. What happened to hire someone with "Arkansas ties"...

footballfan-tastic

Our people in charge are making all kinds of stupid decisions based on what might happen with a head coach.  Hire the best AD you can get, then go after the best coach you can get.  Not that hard to figure out.  Seems we are settling on one who might influence the other, well what it that doesn't happen. 

Oh and I have nothing really against Kiffen but he is a loose cannon in some ways.  I've wanted Norvell from the get go and I think its a great hire.  Risky, maybe a little bit but so is Kiffen.  There is a reason he's at Florida Atlantic.  Not knocking his coaching, but his personality may not mesh at UA.

sportsguy80

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 04, 2017, 08:09:15 pm
Our people in charge are making all kinds of stupid decisions based on what might happen with a head coach.  Hire the best AD you can get, then go after the best coach you can get.  Not that hard to figure out.  Seems we are settling on one who might influence the other, well what it that doesn't happen. 

Oh and I have nothing really against Kiffen but he is a loose cannon in some ways.  I've wanted Norvell from the get go and I think its a great hire.  Risky, maybe a little bit but so is Kiffen.  There is a reason he's at Florida Atlantic.  Not knocking his coaching, but his personality may not mesh at UA.
Yeah I just don't know what to think anymore. It's like we gotta make things more complicated than it should be. This isn't an upgrade from Long in my opinion.

beach bum

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 04, 2017, 08:09:15 pm

I nearly spit my coffee out in the car while driving listening to the Dan Lebatard show on Friday when they were interviewing Kiffin.... Lebatard says while semi laughing "hey I can hear you eating while we are on the air... What in the world are you eating while doing an interview''? ....... Kiffin then responds " I am eating some pineapple cause I am eating healthy trying to lose some weight. You know people down here in south Florida really care about their figure. You got to remember Dan I am not in Alabama anymore".... I nearly lost it like I said. I knew it was a jab at Alabama obviously. 

footballfan-tastic

I heard Stoerner endorsed Morris.  If we are thinking Chad Morris over Norvell, what explanation would that be? Morris has 3 years HC, Norvell 2.  Norvell has more wins in two years than Morris in 3 and at 18 and 7 has set the record for most wins ever by a first year coach at Memphis and first 10 win season since 1938. 
Just hire Norvell and lets get busy.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 04, 2017, 08:31:10 pm
I heard Stoerner endorsed Morris.  If we are thinking Chad Morris over Norvell, what explanation would that be? Morris has 3 years HC, Norvell 2.  Norvell has more wins in two years than Morris in 3 and at 18 and 7 has set the record for most wins ever by a first year coach at Memphis and first 10 win season since 1938. 
Just hire Norvell and lets get busy.

but can Norvell build a program?

bdubyab60

They could have hired an Arkansas AD last week. Who knows why they hired who they did. Hopefully he does a good job.

Obviously Long was fired because he wasn't willing to let BB go and wasn't willing to even think about hiring Gus.

That all fell through.

As far as Morris he could very well be a good hire. He just doesn't move the meter as far as most fans are concerned. iMO. To tell you the truth I didn't even know who he was until he was mentioned for this job

bdubyab60

RZback

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 04, 2017, 08:38:51 pm
but can Norvell build a program?

Well, he's got 2 wins to 0 on Morris.   We were crazy for Gus and as far as I know he walked into the college programs he has won with?

Romeo

I really hope the new coach is Brent Venables.

bigworm

bdubyab60

If the rumor is true as to why they actually are pushing for Morris then I really don't want him here. Bielema played favorites with players and you see where it got this program. It needs to stop

Trojanbird

bdubyab60

That Morris is being pushed by Jerry Jones because he has agreed to give Jerry's grandson a scholarship. Supposedly a low 2* recruit.

I have no problem with giving a scholarship but let's not let it be the main reason a Hite is getting pushed.

Again that's a rumor going around

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 05, 2017, 09:14:21 am
That Morris is being pushed by Jerry Jones because he has agreed to give Jerry's grandson a scholarship. Supposedly a low 2* recruit.

I have no problem with giving a scholarship but let's not let it be the main reason a Hite is getting pushed.

Again that's a rumor going around

I have heard a much stranger reason as to why Gragg was not hired as AD.... Has to do with a book his wife wrote last year which may have ruffled the feathers of all the white guys in suits making decisions at the U of A.

RZback

I have heard Gragg is a super person. It's a shame that we might be hiring people based on a hope of it affecting what coach we get instead of the overall good of the athletic program.  Hire a coach.  UA is going to get caught with the short straw if not careful.  They look like Tennessee, an incompetent fool.  At least TN hired Fulmer to try to regain some stability and direction.  Fulmer is most loved by TN fans.  We hired a guy noboby knows hoping we might get Kiffen?   Hey, Kiffen wants back in the SEC and wants big money, he would take it if offered with or without an AD. 
Cluster.  So we shall see what we get.  Like I've said I like Norvell, I like Leach, but Strong would be ok with his only bad mark Texas.  Morris just seems like a, Oh well, this is the best we can do, type pick. 
I don't think any of them have guts enough to go after a pick because they are afraid of getting it wrong, again.

bdubyab60

Gragg was rumored to be a deal with Gus. No doubt that with all the people involved this has gotten crazy.

I could care less who the AD is though.

sportsguy80

Quote from: RZback on December 05, 2017, 10:24:56 am
I have heard Gragg is a super person. It's a shame that we might be hiring people based on a hope of it affecting what coach we get instead of the overall good of the athletic program.  Hire a coach.  UA is going to get caught with the short straw if not careful.  They look like Tennessee, an incompetent fool.  At least TN hired Fulmer to try to regain some stability and direction.  Fulmer is most loved by TN fans.  We hired a guy noboby knows hoping we might get Kiffen?   Hey, Kiffen wants back in the SEC and wants big money, he would take it if offered with or without an AD. 
Cluster.  So we shall see what we get.  Like I've said I like Norvell, I like Leach, but Strong would be ok with his only bad mark Texas.  Morris just seems like a, Oh well, this is the best we can do, type pick. 
I don't think any of them have guts enough to go after a pick because they are afraid of getting it wrong, again.
Well said. I really don't think some people understand the importance of these hires. I'm all for supporting whoever is chosen but I believe we deserve to know why with good reason. It just feels like the powers to be are letting our program go down the same path again. Hopefully, we will get a good coach that really wants to be here.

Romeo

Quote from: beach bum on December 05, 2017, 09:29:10 am
I have heard a much stranger reason as to why Gragg was not hired as AD.... Has to do with a book his wife wrote last year which may have ruffled the feathers of all the white guys in suits making decisions at the U of A.

I've been hearing the same thing. Basically, it was a children's book she wrote about how to interact with police officers.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on December 05, 2017, 01:41:48 pm
I've been hearing the same thing. Basically, it was a children's book she wrote about how to interact with police officers.

I actually looked at it too.... No matter what aisle of the political spectrum you are on it seemed very sensible and reasonable. It didn't come off as antagonistic whatsoever and I think it was well intentioned from her. I believe she worked with underprivileged youth in her background is why she was inspired to write it, and I really did not see anything wrong about it.

RZback

I don't know about the book but I'll try to find that.  Sadly the actions of family members are a consideration of the image you want to project.  I also don't know much about the new AD and his experience in hiring a big time football coach, that is really the question.

Tennessee is now talking to Tee Martin, former UT QB when they won the national title.  I'm not sure about the hire or him, but it is a smart move by Fulmer because Tee has a great history with the Vols and great coaching experience.  WE on the other hand seem to keep waiting on Gus to wake up and decide to drive the bus back to fayetteville.

Ctucker

We just need to drop football  we suck and are a laughing stock.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas