• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RZback

How can TN be unable to hire a HC?  It must be a mess in the Athletic Dept administration. 

bdubyab60

I made a joke to one of my friends as soon as I heard Schiano was going to be their HC.

I told him Knoxville will burn and fans were going to riot. I knew at the least they wouldn't be happy.

Nothing supposedly was ever proven on Schiano or was proven false or he would have been investigated in all that Sandusky crap. Tenner fans used that as the reason to do what they did. However let's face it the real reason they did this is because he wasn't the homerun hire they wanted. Clay Travis was one of the media guys that started that crap as well. He was unapologetic on the radio about it, but wait folks Gundy had some issues in his past as well. Only difference is Gundy has won football games.

Gundy turning them down isn't that bad of a deal. He's done that to everyone it seems and he was trolling them like he has other folks in the past to try and get more money.

The Brohm thing sure does look bad now. But they can blame everyone from the little fan on the street all the way up to their state reps. Brohm May have taken the lower buyout if those fans, media and reps hadn't of done like they did. Announce your displeasure by not buying tickets.

They may still be able to land a decent coach but who knows now.

I want everyone to remember this when we finally make our hire. I think it's okay to say you arbor happy with it. But let's not pull and HN scenario or a TN thing when it happens.

We all showed some form of displeasure with B.B. before he was fired. But what got him gone were those empty seats. Which would have been empty next year as well and the decision makers new this and wouldn't stand by and watch it happen. Another guy was gonna so he went to.

Not everyone is gonna be happy with who we hire

sportsguy80

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 30, 2017, 06:11:57 am
I made a joke to one of my friends as soon as I heard Schiano was going to be their HC.

I told him Knoxville will burn and fans were going to riot. I knew at the least they wouldn't be happy.

Nothing supposedly was ever proven on Schiano or was proven false or he would have been investigated in all that Sandusky crap. Tenner fans used that as the reason to do what they did. However let's face it the real reason they did this is because he wasn't the homerun hire they wanted. Clay Travis was one of the media guys that started that crap as well. He was unapologetic on the radio about it, but wait folks Gundy had some issues in his past as well. Only difference is Gundy has won football games.

Gundy turning them down isn't that bad of a deal. He's done that to everyone it seems and he was trolling them like he has other folks in the past to try and get more money.

The Brohm thing sure does look bad now. But they can blame everyone from the little fan on the street all the way up to their state reps. Brohm May have taken the lower buyout if those fans, media and reps hadn't of done like they did. Announce your displeasure by not buying tickets.

They may still be able to land a decent coach but who knows now.

I want everyone to remember this when we finally make our hire. I think it's okay to say you arbor happy with it. But let's not pull and HN scenario or a TN thing when it happens.

We all showed some form of displeasure with B.B. before he was fired. But what got him gone were those empty seats. Which would have been empty next year as well and the decision makers new this and wouldn't stand by and watch it happen. Another guy was gonna so he went to.

Not everyone is gonna be happy with who we hire
Very well said. I along with the majority would love to have someone long term but the way positions are these days especially the high profile ones doesn't suggest that likely to happen. In the meantime, we as fans have to continue to voice our opinions and support the program.

nuttinbuthogs

I would be open to a lot of different hires but I'm skeptical of the judgement of the UA.  Past hires have been sketchy at best and we want to win and win big and for a long time. Sure,that is a given, but hiring someone who we know is unlikely to hang around is not a smart move.  A bandaid from the beginning instead of a transplant will not stop a failed heart.   

RZback

The fans need to be speaking out about what type coach they want and even who they would like to see as the new HC.  Supporting every choice the universtity might make shouldn't be a must.  It's giving them a blank check.  This is going to be the most important hire in a long time and going into the future its going to have long lasting impact.  Have to get it right.

bigworm

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on November 30, 2017, 09:14:32 am
I would be open to a lot of different hires but I'm skeptical of the judgement of the UA.  Past hires have been sketchy at best and we want to win and win big and for a long time. Sure,that is a given, but hiring someone who we know is unlikely to hang around is not a smart move.  A bandaid from the beginning instead of a transplant will not stop a failed heart.

Best available candidate is who we need. Anyone they hire cpuld leave tomoro for all we know. Why hire less tham the best when you camt be certain how long any of them will stay. I mean if they leave here it would be for an awesome job. If an awesome place wants him it woupd be because he has proven it can be done here. If he proves that we will all be happy. BEST AVAILABLE CANDIDATE.

bdubyab60

As I said you can voice your displeasure all you want. But look at what trouble TN is having after what they did. Emptying the sheets works just as good without all the negative attention.

I'm hoping it's rumors/smokescreens about Morris being the guy. I don't think he should be our first option after Gus. Which looks more likely that he is staying put.

I'm just not sure if he has the name to kick up and/or at least keep recruiting where it's ranked now.

Please don't give me his improving record over the past three years. We improved the first 3 under BB and look where we are. SMU has two bad years before he took over. So looks like more of the same to me.

I mean heck I'd almost take Sumlin before Morris

bdubyab60

High Voltage

AirWarren

RZback

I'm not real familiar with Gragg, what makes him a "home run" hire? 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RZback on November 30, 2017, 05:17:30 pm
I'm not real familiar with Gragg, what makes him a "home run" hire? 

Worked under Broyles

beach bum

Just listening to Pat Dye on the Bo Mattingly show epitomized why I believe Gus will be in Fayetteville by Monday night if he loses to Georgia on Saturday.... He literally just gave the coordinators all the credit for Auburn's success. Gus has such an ego that I believe he wants to give Auburn the middle finger and leave. I even believe we could get him if he makes the playoff. People will disagree with this in huge numbers, but if he wins Saturday we should wait until January for him. He will come if we really want him. He has that much of an ego.... He remembers the way Auburn has treated him the last few years.

High Voltage

Quote from: HorseFeathers on November 30, 2017, 05:23:44 pm
Worked under Broyles
Not just that, he played football at Vandy and has been at Michigan as well as other schools in the Admin department.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: High Voltage on November 30, 2017, 06:00:06 pm
Not just that, he played football at Vandy and has been at Michigan as well as other schools in the Admin department.

I posted the, in many people's opinions, important part

bdubyab60

Quote from: AirWarren on November 30, 2017, 04:40:04 pm
Not yet.
Yeah seems some folks were a little early. Seems we are trying to out do Tenner

Romeo

I can't think of a better AD replacement than Gragg. Was Broyles number two for seven years. Got his doctorate at the UA. Has nearly 25 years experience in administration and has been an AD for over ten years. He already knows the program.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on November 30, 2017, 06:51:44 pm
I can't think of a better AD replacement than Gragg. Was Broyles number two for seven years. Got his doctorate at the UA. Has nearly 25 years experience in administration and has been an AD for over ten years. He already knows the program.

I was pleased when they said he got it... I hope that he really does end up the man because now reports are they are still looking around. Again, I hope it is his to take.

VHSCoach2

Looks like U of A's new Athletic Director is going to be current Tulsa AD Derrick Gragg.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: bigworm on November 30, 2017, 01:10:15 pm
Best available candidate is who we need. Anyone they hire cpuld leave tomoro for all we know. Why hire less tham the best when you camt be certain how long any of them will stay. I mean if they leave here it would be for an awesome job. If an awesome place wants him it woupd be because he has proven it can be done here. If he proves that we will all be happy. BEST AVAILABLE CANDIDATE.
Quote from: beach bum on November 30, 2017, 05:27:29 pm
Just listening to Pat Dye on the Bo Mattingly show epitomized why I believe Gus will be in Fayetteville by Monday night if he loses to Georgia on Saturday.... He literally just gave the coordinators all the credit for Auburn's success. Gus has such an ego that I believe he wants to give Auburn the middle finger and leave. I even believe we could get him if he makes the playoff. People will disagree with this in huge numbers, but if he wins Saturday we should wait until January for him. He will come if we really want him. He has that much of an ego.... He remembers the way Auburn has treated him the last few years.

Getting the Best Available candidate is fine, but if you wait until too long, January, the Best Available may not be very good.  If you have been paying attention a lot of coaches are playing games with major universities to help themselves get better deals right where they currently are coaching.  You called it correctly, Gus has a monster ego and that might lead him to take the UA job, it will not keep him here.  If he wins on Saturday he will not come to Fayetteville unless he feels the pressure to get out.  There are still a good number of Auburn fans that hope he will be gone.  I think waiting is a bad thing, a huge gamble.  Of course getting someone like Morris is no great catch at this point, he's 13 and 23 right now I think.  Do we really have to hire a guy with a losing record?  How is that going to help attract recruits.

bdubyab60

We absolutely positively cannot wait on any coach until January. Not unless it is announced publicly. To big of a risk. Don't need another John L situation.

Need someone on the recruiting trail building relationships and getting at least the two decommit spots filled.

If the BOT gets their way and it looks that way I'd the AD hire holds up Morris is in down the list.

Supposedly he was the one that Peoples wanted. If he was the leader in the clubhouse he could already be on campus.

footballfan-tastic

Morris may be ok, but he may be a very slow rebuild. 

sportsguy80

Latest reports show Tenn is talking with Les. Might not be a bad hire if it works out...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sportsguy80 on December 01, 2017, 03:28:59 am
Latest reports show Tenn is talking with Les. Might not be a bad hire if it works out...

Would be great if Leach gives them the thanks but no thanks treatment like Gundy did...

sportsguy80

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 01, 2017, 05:55:55 am
Would be great if Leach gives them the thanks but no thanks treatment like Gundy did...
Well looks like Leach will be introduced tomorrow.

HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sportsguy80 on December 01, 2017, 07:16:30 am
Well looks like Leach will be introduced tomorrow.

Tennessee just fired their AD....sooo

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 01, 2017, 05:55:55 am

Would be good for who?  Remember UT and UA are mirror images right now.  If Leach tells them no I would hope its because he's coming to UA.  I want a strong SEC and I have UT friends.  Of course they say the same things about UA, LOL. 
Currie really messed up with the big money donors but there is also a push by some donors and lots of fans to stifle the influence of certain big money donors.

HorseFeathers

December 01, 2017, 10:21:18 am #1378 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:24:16 am by HorseFeathers
Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 01, 2017, 10:17:23 am
Would be good for who?  Remember UT and UA are mirror images right now.  If Leach tells them no I would hope its because he's coming to UA.  I want a strong SEC and I have UT friends.  Of course they say the same things about UA, LOL. 
Currie really messed up with the big money donors but there is also a push by some donors and lots of fans to stifle the influence of certain big money donors.

I'm not particularly a fan of Arkansas football at this moment....bielema needed to go, not sure about Jeff Long...and felt like the hogs had no game plan other than to fire people, and crossed their fingers that Gus Malzahn would beg for the job

Even then....Arkansas playing a waiting game with Gus, looks alot better than the train wreck of a coaching search in Knoxville, which resulted in their athletic director getting canned this morning...

footballfan-tastic

There is no indication that Gus intends to come to Arkansas.  Waiting may be just a delay in having to hire a left over.  BTW, Leach seems to be out at UT.  Too many chiefs up there creating havoc. What do we have here?  How many committes in search of a coach?  Who is in our sights other than Gus?
One thing about it, I bet lots of Arkansas fans watch the SEC championship game on Saturday.

bdubyab60

What's actually good is it's finally pretty quiet on our search except for a few trolls.

The AD thing someone got out in front of their mouth on.

I'll assume same targets. But just a few folks saying stuff to get clicks and calls for the most part.

I'd expect chatter tomorrow especially after the clock hits zero on the SEC game.

Sunday through Monday we may catch up to Tenner in attempted hires

bleudog

bdubyab60

Also rumor in the middle of the night that Gus signed his extension with Aubbie and should be announced before title game.

We shall see

bdubyab60

Also BB gets 11.8 mil in buyout negotiation.

bdubyab60

We may be going in to new territory here pretty soon. Maybe not today. Slabach just said he was told that Arkansas is going to empty the brinks truck to try and get Gus.

beach bum

With a banged up Kerrion Johnson Auburn looks completely out of sorts.... 28-7 Georgia right now.... We will be welcoming the Gus Bus in less than 48 hours to Fayetteville is my prediction.

bdubyab60

I believe you are correct

bleudog

bdubyab60

In the presser after he said he wanted to be the coach at Auburn next year

PrivateLesson

Gus lost his bargaining power with Auburn, IMO. 

bleudog

sportsguy80

I truly believe if Gus is not announced our head coach within the next week he will stay at Auburn. He was asked right after a tough loss which doesn't mean much. We'll see...

bdubyab60

He was in a tough spot but I actually got to watch it. He looked like he was meaning what he was saying.

Believe the question was. So if arkansas offers you would you take it, or something like that.

I want to be the coach at Auburn

So you are going to be the coach at Auburn

I want to be the coach at Auburn next year.

You can call it coach speak or whatever. But that's to me means he doesn't want to be here.

If he was entertaining the idea. One would think the answer would be something like. We just took a tough loss here and I'm not even thinking about that right now.

So we will see but I want the best guy who wants this job not just the money. I know it plays a big part but man show us you want it

Ctucker

The only way he comes is if Auburns fans run him off!

bdubyab60

And it sounds like they are. Plus they aren't will to give him the power that it sounds like we are about to do

High Voltage

He just signed with Auburn.

footballfan-tastic

Please tell me we are not going to spend the $50 million that is rumored forr 7 years.  Good coach for sure but not a national title as HC.   Not worth Saban money (5 national titles at combined 2 SEC schools) IMO at this point. If we do that we better get a title real quick. Heck Jimbo Fisher has a title for his crazy pay.  But he has it in hand.   Anyway, I'm betting he stays at Auburn.  Bottom line is if hired could he win a national title at Arkansas? 

bdubyab60

I just read that too. I do t mind the pony up to pay coaches and assistants to improve our football program.

But again I want someone who wants to be here as well and I don't think he ever did. He's still bitter from the Nutt days imo.

Now on to the next guy. Pay him fairly and give him the money to get proper assistants

footballfan-tastic

I sure wish we would just get it over with. Whoever they pay expectations are going to be high.

bdubyab60

Me too. Maybe we got lucky. If he had lost one more regular season game Gus would have been here. Then turns around a plays us basically.

Lot of rumors about Charlie Strong. I don't know how I would like that. He's done god at a couple places but the job he did at Texas was less than impressive. Plus I don't think he will move the needle at all with recruits or fans here at all

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas