• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

Quote from: bigworm on November 26, 2017, 10:32:39 pm
Just a thought. What about that cat at Iowa state? He must be a pretty good coach.

I thought I had heard somewhere that his buyout is absolutely ridiculous.

AirWarren

Quote from: bigworm on November 26, 2017, 10:32:39 pm
Just a thought. What about that cat at Iowa state? He must be a pretty good coach.

His buyout is like 10million$ I think.

bdubyab60

I think I read that too

bdubyab60

Looked it up $9.4mil. Probably the reason you haven't heard his name much.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 27, 2017, 09:58:49 am
Looked it up $9.4mil. Probably the reason you haven't heard his name much.

He ain't going anywhere.

RZback

So a really hot topic.  I'm in the Leach, Norvell camp.  Who knows who we end up with.

bdubyab60

Info out today. Take it with a grain of salt and I may have already mentioned. Our two main targets are coaching this weekend both HCs. That knocks out Leach. No Ken is real sure on The Norvell rumors. I'm not as high on Norvell as some are.

So that leaves Gus and Kiffin. I would think both of these guys have more connections than Norvell.

I'm fine with any of these 3 guys though. Supposedly will be named within 10 days of the from Saturday.

bdubyab60

As long as we don't pull a TEnner when we hire someone we should be ok lol

RZback

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 27, 2017, 12:29:48 pm
As long as we don't pull a TEnner when we hire someone we should be ok lol

Well I don't know the inside scoop but, do you think Gus would leave Auburn for Arkansas if it is his choice to stay?  If so, why?  Kiffen, well it doesn't take much looking to find out that he has a reputation of being a bit of a rounder?  I don't know the story that is supposed to be out about Norvell but I doubt it compares to Kiffen.  I guess if you look very hard you can find some dirt on anybody, true or not.

bdubyab60

Oh yeah each candidate has some issue or weakness.

I dont know if Gus will leave. It just really seems like that's  who they want on the Hill.

The rumor on Norvell is he has a sports gambling problem. I don't think anyone has confirmed that as of yet. So who knows if it is true. Memphis is trying really hard to keep him by offering him an extension and raise.

Kiffen is for sure arrogant. He did Tenner wrong, USC and him had a falling out and then he turned Bamas offense even more deadly. He may see this as his last chance to jump back in to P5 coaching.

At any rate that looks like the choices. Could be a surprise come out of the woodwork. But that didn't work so well for us here recently. Cause supposedly the interim AD is the one who spilled the beans about the timeline of the hire

RZback

One thing for sure, whoever participates in this selection better get it right or the program may never recover.

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on November 27, 2017, 03:01:05 pm
One thing for sure, whoever participates in this selection better get it right or the program may never recover.

I agree... On the other hand the SEC West is primed for the taking for someone. You have Miss State who will be replacing the best coach they ever had which will be tough. Ole Miss pretty much stayed with what they have since they are on probation so he can ride the ship the next 2 to 4 years. Plus, Texas A&M is replacing a coach as well. Then I even keep forgetting that Saban can not do this forever. I think the right hire under the circumstances of the future of the SEC West could see us have a 10 win season in the next 4 or 5 years if we get this right. That is why I have no clue why Auburn fans even want Gus gone. He can keep Auburn steady enough that they minimum win 9 wins every year the next half decade. That fan base baffles me how they do not like him. I do believe in the next 4 or 5 years we will see Florida with Mullen and Georgia shift some of the power to the East again which will help the Hogs. We rarely play UGA or the Gators so I think the Hogs have a chance moving forward if they can get it right.

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on November 27, 2017, 03:01:05 pm
Very important hire

bdubyab60

Truthfully we risk becoming Vanderbilt of the West if this goes bad. Just without the scholastic awards. Only Tenner was worse this year

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: beach bum on November 27, 2017, 03:06:11 pm
That is why I have no clue why Auburn fans even want Gus gone.

If you get away from northwest Arkansas you find less fascination with Gus.  The fact the Auburn may want him gone and is less crazy about him is a reason to take a closer look.

bdubyab60

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on November 27, 2017, 03:41:06 pm
If you get away from northwest Arkansas you find less fascination with Gus.  The fact the Auburn may want him gone and is less crazy about him is a reason to take a closer look.
Auburn is like that with every coach. See Gene Chizik a NC and one year later poof

sportsguy80

November 27, 2017, 04:07:21 pm #1316 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:20:53 pm by sportsguy80
And we can’t forget we need an AD! I’ve heard if Gus comes along, he will almost “handpick” the next person. One thing I’m definitely in agreement with is we need guys whom have ties to our state or we will regret the new hires big time.

bdubyab60

I've also heard Norvell and Bowen are a package deal from Memphis. We will see though.

No matter who we hire we will have to be patient. At the minimum showing improvement year over year in development and being competitive would help with that

footballfan-tastic

Bowen may not be a bad add on.  He has raised the most money ever for the UM athletic department and completely rebuild the structure of the dept hiring Norvell and Tubby Smith as basketball coach.  Also has overseen several building projects for football and basketball.  Not quite on the scale of UA as far as money but still impressive for a smaller D1 program that is challenging in both sports at the national level.

bdubyab60

Right now Tubby is looking like a bust. Going on what two year now, has signed 0 top 150 recruits and only one high school player. Thats Connor Vanover who is in the 300s. Let the Lawson's go and Memphis folks are not happy with Tubby.

Now his football hires seem good. He's getting the money in. The new basketball practice facility is supposed to super nice.

More rumors pointing to Norvell being the guy now

bigworm

Bobby Petrino was a suprise. Bret Beleima was a surprise. I honestly think we will all be surprised this time too. I just hope its a pleasant surprise.

bdubyab60

I think this time if it's as much as a surprise as those two were. I don't think may fans will be happy. Would mean we missed on a bunch of our main targets.

Probably have to get past 6 or 7 guys for that to happen though imo. Hopefully we don't have to go that deep

footballfan-tastic

Rumors flying all over the place this morning.  the latest.  Two groups said to represent the UA coaching search making contacts.  One group said to be big boosters and influential donors have sights on Malzahn or Norvell.  Malzahn would have to loose on Saturday to give this option any legs.  Norvell is a solid choice.  The other group is UA admin representatives, they reportedly have reached out to Venables and Morris.

bdubyab60

Yeah these idiots have turned this in to a cluster and are going to put us under the gun.

Why can't these fools get on the same page. We have 4 or 5 good candidates and they are going to run them all off. No hire has been more crucial as this one.

Meanwhile Tenner has quickly rebounded and Gundy is on a flight to Knoxville to interview/negotiate

Idiots no wonder we can't ever get things going our way.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 28, 2017, 12:59:50 pm
Yeah these idiots have turned this in to a cluster and are going to put us under the gun.

Why can't these fools get on the same page. We have 4 or 5 good candidates and they are going to run them all off. No hire has been more crucial as this one.

Meanwhile Tenner has quickly rebounded and Gundy is on a flight to Knoxville to interview/negotiate

Idiots no wonder we can't ever get things going our way.

That would be a great hire for Tennessee.... I was only dreaming we could land him here but that ain't happening obviously now.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on November 28, 2017, 01:02:38 pm
That would be a great hire for Tennessee.... I was only dreaming we could land him here but that ain't happening obviously now.
Heard that on the radio at lunch. David Cutcliffe flat out turned them down.

As far as our search. Supposedly we have hired search firms. Some think this is because we have missed on all candidates, which may be false as the Norvell gambling problem has since been proving false.

Supposedly the search firms are to vet our AD and head coach finalists. Hoping this is the truth and not the cluster of a search it's being made out to be. We do know they want Gus. But at some point you have to just say hey win or lose do you want to be here. I want the guy who wants the job, not the guy who wants it just because he's always hanging on one game. Same with Norvell.

Both these guys know if they want this job. If not next man up. Vet them and put this out there to them

bdubyab60

Maybe a calm to the storm here, more rumors. New AD to be announced tomorrow, supposedly an AD at a P5 already but who knows all those guys.

Big money still waiting on Gus. He has until Sunday to decide win or lose.

Search firm is for Norvel/Kiffin/Morris. Norvell wants the job.

For what it's worth this guy call the firing of JL.

My gripe is that they let JCP get out in from of everyone and say she could make this hire without a committee. I know this is firm. But when most of us folks don't necessarily understand what that dime does it can throw folks in to a panic.

Hey UofA just step out and say we have our list narrowed, we have these folks vetting these guys so we can make on offer. Mic drop and walk off

footballfan-tastic

Problem is that the big names know you will wait on them and they in turn will milk it for all its worth.  Norvell got red flagged by Ole Miss after he told them NO!  That caused the gambling rumor.  Sources say he's pretty clean.  Kiffen has baggage and if you look you find it easy.  Not sure we want to go down the Petrino problems from what I hear.  Malzahn is going to make us wait and then likley say NO.   The hire of Venables will be a temporary until he gets a better offer.  Morris has a losing record and I doublt UA fans would look at that as a smart move at this point.  You have to think recruiting. 
I hear Gundy may have talked to UT last night in the Big D.

footballfan-tastic

I believe Norvell's wife is a Fort Smith native and he did attend and coach at UCA.  If it impresses anyone he got hired at Tulsa while Gus was the OC.

bdubyab60

Gundy and Tenner talked on the phone last night. Meeting today in Dallas. That's been confirmed.

My thoughts on the coaches mentioned.

Gus- should we wait I'm not sure. I understand the position he is in is tough. But when we offered him he should take in to account the potential of winning a title. Basically he has to ask himself if he wins an NC would he come here. If we are a fallback, which it looks like, I don't want him to come. Same with all the rest on this point. They have to want the job. Another drawback to this hire would be we may never be able to get rid of him if needed.

Norvell- wants the job by what we hear. He's done good at Memphis. But Memphis was rolling before him and we aren't. Can he bring that spark and turn this thing around. A lot of people think he can. Looks like he can score points.

Kiffin- I'm sure he has some baggage. And yes he would probably be here only a few years. But he called us so he has to interested. If he did well before he moved along then the guy above may still be interested if done correctly.

Morris- would be further down my list. He's improved SMU but still 7-5 at his best point. So t know much about him other than that.

Any of the first 3 would be good hires IMO. Morris doesn't knock it out of the park for me. If we do that we should Venables a shot from Clemson.

sportsguy80

I'm not gonna lie, all this talk about these potential moves have me excited about a new era on the hill. I see very good things for our program if the right decisions are made.

bdubyab60

footballfan-tastic

I think Gus is the snag in the hire.  There are certainly a number of people in NWA who would think we had the second coming if we hired Gus.  They will be willing to wait until he makes a decision which could be after the NC game.  Now, think logically.  If you were at Auburn would you leave for Arkansas?  Norvell seems to really want this job, it's a move up to the SEC.  If you wait you lose.  Nobody we hire is a for sure thing.  UA is in a mess, it is not historically a great program.  There have been plenty of coaches that did not win many games.  Winning here is going to be like all schools, recruiting great talent and right now I'd say we are a long way from great talent.  That recruitment means 2-3 years before we start to straighten out.  Some of the coaches like Gus, like Kiffen, even Venables I believe will not look at this as a long term job.

bdubyab60

Norvell, Kiffen and Gus aren't going anywhere until after Saturday. Morris maybe if Jimbo doesn't take A&M.

We only miss in Norvell if he signs an extension before Saturday. If he really wants it no rush in him doing that. He has a good job and that contract will for sure be there after Saturday.

I don't think this will take long to turn around with the right guy. Even after that disaster of a first year B.B. had some success and we actually looked competitive. He would still be here if we had remotely looked competitive.

GM has until Sunday. Then it's get off the pot time.

I'd take 4 or 5 good years of any coach as long as we aren't having to fire them. If they are leaving us for better jobs that hopefully means we are winning.

bigworm

I agree. You hire the best available candidate. If hes successful amd leaves, You again hire the best available candidate. Ill never believe its necessary for it to take a couple years to greatly improve. When Houston got here it was in sad shape. Uuuuuuuh, im pretty sure if Clint hadnt fumbled we quite possibly could have played for a natl title houstons first year. No slap to clint. He was a big reason we were even in that position. Anyway, if Norvell is ready get him here now. He was my one of my favorites early on.

bdubyab60

Really looking like the AD is a done deal. May find out tomorrow. The interim tag to be removed supposedly.

We shall see

AirWarren

Gundy turned down Tenner.

nuttinbuthogs

I don't know if this is going to turn around quickly. Program and talent level is down, will take a couple years at least of top level recruiting. In that I want to see consistent winning and not a good year and then a bad year and so on.  If we keep changing coaches every few years we cannot get consistently good.   Need someone who wants to be here and who plans to stay a long time, if he's winning.  The U needs to be prepared to pay to keep that person, not pay for a losing tenure. 

bdubyab60

Th Olin's is where we are missing talent. Now that's a big piece for sure.

But there is talent on this roster. Severely misused and poorly coached. This developed a losing culture and attitude amongst the players.

Do we have the depth of talent we need, no. But there is enough talent here to build on with the right guy.

Who will bring a winning attitude, new excitement for the players and just maybe they put these players in the right position to succeed.

RZback

I'd question more than just Oline, defense is not great and in the SEC you have to have great defensive play to win it.  Also we make errors at skilled positions, QB's for sure, now you may blame it on coaching but by all accounts the players liked the staff and they sure didn't respond to the coaches with how they played.  Lack of coaching or lack of talent and drive.  A college athlete shouldn't need to be cajoled into playing hard. 

Question remains, who do we get as AD, I hear the interim is going to be the permanent AD.  Who do we hire as HC and WHEN?  We need to get started, beating the bushes for some studs.

footballfan-tastic

Gus is coaching the highest ranked team in our hunt right now and then Norvell with Memphis at #16.  Also the only time in about eighty years that Memphis has had a 10 game winn season.   

On another note, can you believe how much trouble UT is haveing in fiinding a coach?

bdubyab60

They just hired Jeff Brohm

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on November 29, 2017, 10:21:56 am
I'd question more than just Oline, defense is not great and in the SEC you have to have great defensive play to win it.  Also we make errors at skilled positions, QB's for sure, now you may blame it on coaching but by all accounts the players liked the staff and they sure didn't respond to the coaches with how they played.  Lack of coaching or lack of talent and drive.  A college athlete shouldn't need to be cajoled into playing hard. 

Question remains, who do we get as AD, I hear the interim is going to be the permanent AD.  Who do we hire as HC and WHEN?  We need to get started, beating the bushes for some studs.
Really both lines need depth. BB was a players coach. To me that leads to not holding players accountable. The team basically quit in several games this year. That's a losing culture.

Kids are going to make mistakes. But a senior shouldn't make as many as AA did. Our lines seemed to just totally miss blocks at key times. Our skill guys were mostly freshman.

IMO it's going to come down to this. Can one of these guys take what talent we have, eliminate the bad stuff. Then let's say they recruit at just our average, mid 20's, and turn that in to winning competitive football. I don't think any new coach is coming in here and getting top 10 classes. So we are going to have to win with coaching, development and kids playing hard the entire game.

HorseFeathers

bdubyab60

Quote from: HorseFeathers on November 29, 2017, 02:16:47 pm
Not so fast!
I just saw. Deal is now off. Supposedly the chancellor wanted a lower buyout after Brohm had signed. AD went back to Brohm and he refused.

How fast things can change

beach bum

On a positive note.... It appears no matter what we end up doing it can not be as bad as Tennessee's situation....LOL

bigworm

What a joke. But its funny to me. Dont care much for them anyway

bdubyab60

The problem with ours is everyone thinks they are in charge. Like 4 searches going on.

Interim AD is looking at coaches- she has her picks

Chancellor is looking for and AD- he wants the to remove the interim tag

BOT and money guys are looking for both and they have other picks that what the other two want

AirWarren

Everyone laugh at Tennessee.

bigworm

Tennessee is a great program. Nut they are making themselves look real stupid

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas