• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 03, 2017, 01:11:06 pm
Why would he come to Arkansas? Lol
He will be at Tenner or A&M. Tenner is on a bye week then they play SC and Bama. If they lose to SC he could be gone then. Even with a win against SC with the beat Bama will probably give he could be gone then. Jones is a dead man walking after the UGA game.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on October 03, 2017, 02:27:27 pm
He will be at Tenner or A&M. Tenner is on a bye week then they play SC and Bama. If they lose to SC he could be gone then. Even with a win against SC with the beat Bama will probably give he could be gone then. Jones is a dead man walking after the UGA game.

Butch Jones is definitely gone.... I could see Chip Kelley or Mike Leach going there. And the other one going to A&M. Kelley to Tennessee and Leach to A&M imo.

nastynice

Who does that leave us with?  Magazine's def line coach?

beach bum

October 03, 2017, 03:05:53 pm #803 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:09:48 pm by beach bum
All this does have me thinking... Who do you guys have as your top 10 coaches in college football currently? Not coaches on the market, but just in general. In no order I will say...... I am sure I am missing some other good ones, but these are the ones that came to mind.

Nick Saban, Chris Peterson, James Franklin, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, Bobby Petrino, Mike Leach, Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher, Gary Patterson

Close but no cigar.... Mark Richt, Rocky Long, Mike Gundy, David Shaw

beach bum

October 03, 2017, 03:11:09 pm #804 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:13:00 pm by beach bum
Quote from: nastynice on October 03, 2017, 02:54:43 pm
Who does that leave us with?  Magazine's def line coach?

I think we could get Gundy to leave Oklahoma State and move a little to the east.... We would probably have to pay him 5 million a year to do so though. That is probably a little too much for us to pony up and he will make 3.5 million at OK State so he will need quite a bit more than that to be persuaded away.

nastynice

Quote from: beach bum on October 03, 2017, 03:05:53 pm
All this does have me thinking... Who do you guys have as your top 10 coaches in college football currently? Not coaches on the market, but just in general. In no order I will say...... I am sure I am missing some other good ones, but these are the ones that came to mind.

Nick Saban, Chris Peterson, James Franklin, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, Bobby Petrino, Mike Leach, Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher, Gary Patterson

Mark Richt, Kirby Smart

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on October 03, 2017, 03:05:53 pm

your list is pretty solid. Among the best not on the list is Paul Chryst. What he is doing at Wisconsin is impressive. He is on his third defensive coordinator in three years and is winning 10-11 games a year.

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on October 03, 2017, 05:18:09 pm
your list is pretty solid. Among the best not on the list is Paul Chryst. What he is doing at Wisconsin is impressive. He is on his third defensive coordinator in three years and is winning 10-11 games a year.

I like him, I also like his personality too.

High Voltage

Reality check fellers, $15.5 million buyout. Coach Brett is not going anywhere so buckle up yo chin straps and get used to it. Get on the bandwagon or get off. Coach Brett is here and we need to support him. We WILL beat USC and we will beat Alabama. End of story.

Any takers on some friendly wagers?

nastynice

Quote from: High Voltage on October 03, 2017, 05:52:19 pm
Reality check fellers, $15.5 million buyout. Coach Brett is not going anywhere so buckle up yo chin straps and get used to it. Get on the bandwagon or get off. Coach Brett is here and we need to support him. We WILL beat USC and we will beat Alabama. End of story.

Is this the definition of an oxymoron?

beach bum

Quote from: High Voltage on October 03, 2017, 05:52:19 pm

So accept 7-5 as the ceiling?.... He could coach here 10 years and hit 8 or 9 wins in the regular season once maybe. So we should all get used to mediocrity is what you are saying?

cuckoobird

If they beat Alabama I'll never post again on FF. If the lose to Alabama you never post on FF again

bdubyab60

If gambling was allowed here your darn tooting I'd bet the farm that we get smoked against Bama.

We know all about the buyout. But unless he improves this team I will want him gone. Truthfully it's a shame it's the only thing keeping him here. The writing is on the wall but unfortunately looks like we can't afford the new paint to cover it up.

Also just because he will be here does not mean that we have to like that he continues to have this team looking like a high school team week in and week out.

cuckoobird

High school teams play better and they don't get to recruit

HorseFeathers

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 03, 2017, 07:43:38 pm
High school teams play better and they don't get to recruit

Not publicly anyway

nastynice

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is his false since of accomplishment!...... He talks such a big game but never backs it up.....There are high school coaches all over this nation that could out coach him all day long; several here in AR.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nastynice on October 03, 2017, 07:48:33 pm
I guess the thing that bothers me the most is his false since of accomplishment!...... He talks such a big game but never backs it up.....There are high school coaches all over this nation that could out coach him all day long; several here in AR.

Maybe we can get Hyatt up there so we can get a decent run game?

nastynice

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 03, 2017, 07:49:51 pm

He's busy at the moment. Besides at this point Booneville is a better job than UA. Lol

YC

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 03, 2017, 07:49:51 pm

Hyatt wouldn't go unless he could take his offensive line with him.

beach bum

Quote from: nastynice on October 03, 2017, 07:48:33 pm

This is exactly why he rubs me the wrong way... That along with the talking crap the first 3 years to our competition and not backing it up. He has a frat boy personality that followed him into adulthood. I'd say about 90% of the time when a coach fails I feel bad for them and hope them success at their next stop. I could care less about the guy and if he succeeds at his next stop..... good riddance in my book. Any other coach currently at the U of A if they were fired I would wish them the best at their next stop.

YC

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 03, 2017, 01:11:06 pm
Why would he come to Arkansas? Lol

Why not!! It's a great job for retirement security. Have a 500 season and Jeff will give a 15 million dollar plus buyout. Doesn't matter after that what you do.

nastynice

Quote from: YC on October 03, 2017, 08:10:02 pm
Hyatt wouldn't go unless he could take his offensive line with him.

Ha. True.

High Voltage

Quote from: beach bum on October 03, 2017, 06:27:49 pm
So accept 7-5 as the ceiling?.... He could coach here 10 years and hit 8 or 9 wins in the regular season once maybe. So we should all get used to mediocrity is what you are saying?
No sir what I am saying is, he will be here next year. All of your griping and complaining is doing no good. As much as you may think of yourself I highly doubt that Jeff Long is reading this and taking it to heart. So, with that said let's just support Coach B. and his players!

nastynice

^^He isn't reading this site, but I promise you he's hearing about it from all over the state via different ways....

cuckoobird

If you continue to support lackluster performances, they will never make a change

High Voltage

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 05, 2017, 08:26:59 am
If you continue to support lackluster performances, they will never make a change
My suggestion to everyone on here is to write a letter to the AD's office or possibly the newspapers and TV stations. But when you write please give them a plan for paying the $15.5 million.

cuckoobird

That's why long needs to hit the road too. It shouldn't be that high and for him to agree to it was one of the poorest business decisions I've ever seen.

football nut

Quote from: High Voltage on October 05, 2017, 11:25:30 am
My suggestion to everyone on here is to write a letter to the AD's office or possibly the newspapers and TV stations. But when you write please give them a plan for paying the $15.5 million.

We need to stop with all the stupid post about how to deal with the buyout or who are we going to get if we fire Bert. That is Jeff Long's job. If the average fan has to answer those questions why do we need that guy as AD??
For the moronically challenged: Arkansas athletics has revenue of approximately 115 million a year. Extend the buyout over 5 years (its really only about 12 million) and its about 2.5 million a year. That is around 2% of total revenue. Probably will make up some of that number with increased interest from the fan base that will push up royalty income, donor contributions and seat revenues.
Lets quit screwing around with this dumpster fire and make some changes.     

beach bum

Quote from: High Voltage on October 05, 2017, 11:25:30 am

Make Long pay it himself.... He is the dumbest AD in the country and should pay for his own decisions.

football nut

Quote from: beach bum on October 05, 2017, 05:02:28 pm
Make Long pay it himself.... He is the dumbest AD in the country and should pay for his own decisions.

I believe he is in 2nd place. The AD at LSU has set a new standard.

beach bum

Quote from: football nut on October 05, 2017, 05:09:01 pm
I believe he is in 2nd place. The AD at LSU has set a new standard.

They should change that guys title to principal how all the coaches got called into the office earlier in the week.... That was pretty funny.

football nut

Quote from: beach bum on October 05, 2017, 05:10:47 pm
They should change that guys title to principal how all the coaches got called into the office earlier in the week.... That was pretty funny.

Agreed, that probably set the wrong tone for the head coach, OC, DC and every other assistant on the team. With a 3-21 record at Ole Miss, a buyout over 10 million and still paying Les Miles the recipe for disaster is coming together.
Arkansas should have hired Terry Don Phillips instead of letting him go to Clemson years ago.

RZback

The salary and the raise and contract extension a few years back was just dumb.  You don't give raises and extensions for the product he was producing.

High Voltage

Quote from: football nut on October 05, 2017, 03:51:51 pm
We need to stop with all the stupid post about how to deal with the buyout or who are we going to get if we fire Bert. That is Jeff Long's job. If the average fan has to answer those questions why do we need that guy as AD??
For the moronically challenged: Arkansas athletics has revenue of approximately 115 million a year. Extend the buyout over 5 years (its really only about 12 million) and its about 2.5 million a year. That is around 2% of total revenue. Probably will make up some of that number with increased interest from the fan base that will push up royalty income, donor contributions and seat revenues.
Not gonna happen.

High Voltage

Quote from: beach bum on October 05, 2017, 05:02:28 pm
Now this I can agree with!

beach bum

Quote from: football nut on October 05, 2017, 03:51:51 pm

This is the most brilliant thing written on this thread so far.... Slow clap for you.

beach bum

We are making mistakes at the rate of a bad high school team now.... This is sad.

bdubyab60

We won't win a single SEC game this year. AA holds on to the ball so long when he gets protection that it looks like he has none. Get rid of the darn ball.

Once again second half and getting destroyed.

VHSCoach2

What else can be said that hasn't already been said?

WPWells

Well I don't think there's much of a reason to defend Bret anymore

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on October 07, 2017, 05:43:34 pm
What else can be said that hasn't already been said?

I'll take it to a whole new level.... I hope we lose to Coastal Carolina so they'll fire Bert the next day.

Trojanbird

Quote from: beach bum on October 07, 2017, 05:51:50 pm
I'll take it to a whole new level.... I hope we lose to Coastal Carolina so they'll fire Bert the next day.
Totally agree!  I don't think I will even watch another game!

cuckoobird

WP I've been trying to tell you guys for a few years now he was terrible but i was called a troll. All apologies can be put here...

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 07, 2017, 06:14:39 pm
WP I've been trying to tell you guys for a few years now he was terrible but i was called a troll. All apologies can be put here...

lmbo....

bdubyab60

And CK needs to be the starting QB. Looked better on one drive than AA has all year. Confident and makes a quick decision. Let him play and get the experience.

nastynice

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 07, 2017, 06:14:39 pm

The Future

I honestly had no clue we could play this bad.
This was just literally so embarrassing it hurt.

To whichever poster said we'd beat Bama, I wonder do you still seriously believe that? I tell ya it would definitely be vintage Arkansas. Losing all these easy games then beating Bama.

I'm not even gonna watch the Bama game. They'll score 60 on us. You heard it from The Future right here right now folks.

Trojanbird

bigworm

👎

Pathetic. Poor kids deserve better than they are getting.

RZback

Oh, it can always get worse.  Leave Bielema as the HC and it will most likely get worse, we still have to play Bama!!!!
It's a shame, it certainly isn't about lack of money, facilities or fan support.  So, that leaves Head Coach, assistant coaches, players, gotta be something to fix?. 
There are coaches out there that would love this job, unless they think it's too big a mess by now.   

Is it more damage to remove him now or wait till season is over?  Buyout is buyout and the AD is responsible for that mistake.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas