• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 06, 2017, 01:33:48 pm
More than likely won't see them at all. Got a feeling they will Michigan us if they find a better option

Bingo.

LRRandy

More than likely won't see them at all. Got a feeling they will Michigan us if they find a better option
you are probably right. That's what I thought when I heard that the first game is in South Bend. I hope not though. It would be a neat sight as a college football fan to see those gold helmets on the Razorback stadium field.

ricepig

If not, we'll get a big check for them cancelling. They didn't have another opening until 2025, and we have Texas at home in 2021.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on July 06, 2017, 04:17:24 pm
If not, we'll get a big check for them cancelling. They didn't have another opening until 2025, and we have Texas at home in 2021.

That's the spirit.

VHSCoach2

Hopefully they return the favor as planned and come here in 2025. If so, that's my father-in-law's Christmas present that year (he's a big Notre Dame fan).

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on July 06, 2017, 04:35:18 pm
That's the spirit.

One must look for a silver lining everywhere.

LRRandy

Fall practice opens today. What do you think the record for the Hogs this season will be. I'm at 7-5. Higher if OL and LB play dramatically improves. Less if WR struggle and running game gets bottled up. Defensive adapting quickly to the 3-4 is also a key variable. Looking forward to the CFB season.

beach bum

I'll go 6-6..... Wins against Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Missouri. Then the 3 cupcake non conference games.

cuckoobird

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 27, 2017, 02:50:20 pm
5-7

They would still keep Bert and 75% of the people would still love him for some reason is the sad thing....

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on July 27, 2017, 02:51:49 pm
They would still keep Bert and 75% of the people would still love him for some reason is the sad thing....
missing a bowl game and facing losing all American center and starting qb as well as defensive failure that would most certainly have come with a losing record surely gets him a one way ticket out of town.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on July 27, 2017, 02:51:49 pm
I disagree. If he goes 5-7....the seat is basically on fire and:
1. He leaves on his own.
2. Fired after the 2018 season.

No way he makes it out alive either way if he goes 5-7.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on July 27, 2017, 03:03:33 pm
I disagree. If he goes 5-7....the seat is basically on fire and:
1. He leaves on his own.
2. Fired after the 2018 season.

No way he makes it out alive either way if he goes 5-7.

I don't think 5-7 will happen though for sure.... That would mean everything that could go wrong did go wrong and  we would probably have to lose both games to the back to back Texas schools and then losing 2 of 3 out of the two Mississippi schools and Missouri game. I just can't see all the happening. I am usually not on the optimistic side, but I think 8-4 would happen way before 5-7.

gameoflife

Schedule is set up to win 7, anything less is bad news.  But, you can watch Coach cook on the web if football goes bad.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on July 27, 2017, 03:09:05 pm
I don't think 5-7 will happen though for sure.... That would mean everything that could go wrong did go wrong and  we would probably have to lose both games to the back to back Texas schools and then losing 2 of 3 out of the two Mississippi schools and Missouri game. I just can't see all the happening. I am usually not on the optimistic side, but I think 8-4 would happen way before 5-7.

I'm thinking 8-9 wins. It's a must to get some heat off his back. It's put up or shut up time. These all are his kids. And his development. No excuses.

Lumberjackfan1978

7-5 worst could win 9 games

Valleysports

How many SEC Games? That's Conference games, btw.  And don't put A&M down as an automatic give-me again.  Six straight years of should've, don't count....

bleudog

beach bum

VHSCoach2

Frank Broyles passed away today at age 92.

Thoughts and condolences to his family.

urban legend2

6-6...both Missouri and South Carolina will be tougher than most think

beach bum

Quote from: urban legend2 on August 14, 2017, 04:32:10 pm
6-6...both Missouri and South Carolina will be tougher than most think

Our defense will be horrible again.... Any games we win in conference will come when we outscore the other team in a high scoring shootout.

Big Boy

I find it interesting and am a bit surprised when looking at ESPN's FPI.  They have us going 5-7 if you go by the %'s.  I understand the games are played on the field, but we will have to "beat the odds" to beat that mark.  Below are the %'s to win the game per ESPN FPI. 
FL A&M W; 99.6%
TCU L; 36.1%
TX A&M L; 38.8%
NM St. W; 94.1%
SC L; 33.9%
AL L; 5.7%
Auburn L; 17.5%
Ole Miss L; 38.5%
Coastal Car W; 94.4%
LSU L; 14.5%
MS St W; 52.9%
Mizzou W; 58.6%

beach bum

Quote from: Big Boy on August 16, 2017, 10:41:43 am
I find it interesting and am a bit surprised when looking at ESPN's FPI.  They have us going 5-7 if you go by the %'s.  I understand the games are played on the field, but we will have to "beat the odds" to beat that mark.  Below are the %'s to win the game per ESPN FPI. 
FL A&M W; 99.6%
TCU L; 36.1%
TX A&M L; 38.8%
NM St. W; 94.1%
SC L; 33.9%
AL L; 5.7%
Auburn L; 17.5%
Ole Miss L; 38.5%
Coastal Car W; 94.4%
LSU L; 14.5%
MS St W; 52.9%
Mizzou W; 58.6%

Sheesh, that is not good. I know games aren't won or lost on paper but that is quite bad.

cuckoobird

Honestly, how can anyone predict a better record than last year with an inexperienced line and a new defense that relies on good linebacker play but linebacker is an area we have struggled with for years

beach bum

August 16, 2017, 06:26:57 pm #425 Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:31:39 pm by beach bum
Quote from: cuckoobird on August 16, 2017, 06:24:14 pm
Honestly, how can anyone predict a better record than last year with an inexperienced line and a new defense that relies on good linebacker play but linebacker is an area we have struggled with for years

Also, they say a true freshman is going to be our go to RB in the SEC starting over Whaley?? I knew Whaley wasn't to be trusted as an every down back between the tackles like RW3. Unless you recruit like Alabama, Georgia, or LSU then you can't get away with a freshman at RB..... Alabama recruits so well they don't even have to play their incoming stud RB's. Plus, they are claiming a walk on freshman is about to get time at offensive line. Is our OL seriously that bad it has come to that? If Austin Allen was to get hurt before a win against a quality opponent and we play a back up then literally we are looking at a 4-8 season. The guy gets smashed more than anyone and he plays pretty well all considering. I'd like to see him play on a team that gives him a clean pocket most of the time cause I think he could be a top 8-10 range QB in the college game, but that isn't happening here.

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on August 16, 2017, 06:26:57 pm
Also, they say a true freshman is going to be our go to RB in the SEC starting over Whaley?? I knew Whaley wasn't to be trusted as an every down back between the tackles like RW3. Unless you recruit like Alabama, Georgia, or LSU then you can't get away with a freshman at RB..... Alabama recruits so well they don't even have to play their incoming stud RB's. Plus, they are claiming a walk on freshman is about to get time at offensive line. Is our OL seriously that bad it has come to that? If Austin Allen was to get hurt before a win against a quality opponent and we play a back up then literally we are looking at a 4-8 season. The guy gets smashed more than anyone and he plays pretty well all considering. I'd like to see him play on a team that gives him a clean pocket most of the time cause I think he could be a top 8-10 range QB in the college game, but that isn't happening here.
I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention. A walk on freshman is in line to start on the oline?!? Really? 

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on August 16, 2017, 06:36:30 pm
I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention. A walk on freshman is in line to start on the oline?!? Really?

That is what Bert said today at his press conference. He could have just been saying that to light a fire under his current O line.... Even if you have to say things like that to fire up your OL that is not a pretty picture ahead cause you know the upper classmen we have are horrendous.

AirWarren

Who is the walk on?

Gibson?

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on August 16, 2017, 06:39:57 pm
That is what Bert said today at his press conference. He could have just been saying that to light a fire under his current O line.... Even if you have to say things like that to fire up your OL that is not a pretty picture ahead cause you know the upper classmen we have are horrendous.
it has to be mind games. If after 5 years he is about to start a freshman walk-on at an offensive line position it should  tell you all you need to know about his recruiting, or actually lack of recruiting. I feel sorry for my razorback friends if this is actually the case.

bleudog

August 16, 2017, 07:49:47 pm #430 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:51:50 pm by bleudog
Massey has Arkansas ranked at #31

Thu
2017-08-31
Florida A&M
@ Little Rock AR
100 %
52   3   

Sat
2017-09-09
TCU
58 %
31   28   

Sat
2017-09-23
vs   Texas A&M
@ Arlington TX
43 %
31   34   

Sat
2017-09-30
New Mexico St
93 %
44   21   

Sat
2017-10-07
at   South Carolina
63 %
28   24   

Sat
2017-10-14
at   Alabama
4 %
14   42   

Sat
2017-10-21
Auburn
41 %
24   27   

Sat
2017-10-28
at   Mississippi
43 %
34   37   

Sat
2017-11-04
Coastal Car
90 %
42   21   

Sat
2017-11-11
at   LSU
17 %
17   31   

Sat
2017-11-18
Mississippi St
60 %
34   31   

Fri
2017-11-24
Missouri
77 %
38   28

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=316&s=295489

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on August 16, 2017, 07:49:47 pm

Those seem very much more realistic except for TCU and South Carolina.... I'd drop those about 10% but that paints a more accurate picture.

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on August 16, 2017, 07:10:17 pm
it has to be mind games. If after 5 years he is about to start a freshman walk-on at an offensive line position it should  tell you all you need to know about his recruiting, or actually lack of recruiting. I feel sorry for my razorback friends if this is actually the case.

I totally agree.... I am baffled at how this guy hasn't recruited the OL better.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bleudog on August 16, 2017, 07:49:47 pm

7 wins appears to be the ceiling this year....With
Auburn potentially being the "Upset" win....and the potential to drop the TCU, Mississippi St, South Carolina and Mizzou games...

beach bum

August 20, 2017, 09:32:24 pm #434 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:34:09 pm by beach bum
Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 20, 2017, 04:47:15 pm
7 wins appears to be the ceiling this year....With
Auburn potentially being the "Upset" win....and the potential to drop the TCU, Mississippi St, South Carolina and Mizzou games...

There seems to be a lot of people high on Missouri this year. I have seen a lot of people pick them as a surprise in the East cause of their offense. I'll believe when I see it. Maybe I shouldn't doubt them though since they stormed to a  14-2 record in the SEC in a two year span a few years back. We'll see though. They are kind of like us. They can score, but can't stop anybody even in the games they win.

Lumberjackfan1978

Probably gonna be a long year for the hogs

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on August 20, 2017, 09:32:24 pm
There seems to be a lot of people high on Missouri this year. I have seen a lot of people pick them as a surprise in the East cause of their offense. I'll believe when I see it. Maybe I shouldn't doubt them though since they stormed to a  14-2 record in the SEC in a two year span a few years back. We'll see though. They are kind of like us. They can score, but can't stop anybody even in the games they win.

Don't remember where...but seen someone calling them a top 10 offense this year...

LRRandy

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 21, 2017, 11:07:45 am
Don't remember where...but seen someone calling them a top 10 offense this year...
probably the expectation that they improve a little from last year. They finished thirteenth in total offense in 2016.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

HorseFeathers

Quote from: LRRandy on August 21, 2017, 02:53:49 pm
probably the expectation that they improve a little from last year. They finished thirteenth in total offense in 2016.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

Was not aware they were that high last year.

beach bum

I didn't know their numbers were that good either last year. I know one thing they have in their favor is a good schedule to put up numbers. Auburn and Florida are the only two teams they will face who they will go against a decent defense this coming year.

bleudog

Quote from: beach bum on August 21, 2017, 07:31:10 pm
I didn't know their numbers were that good either last year. I know one thing they have in their favor is a good schedule to put up numbers. Auburn and Florida are the only two teams they will face who they will go against a decent defense this coming year.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4948&s=295489

beach bum

7 days until Florida A&M takes a bus up from Tallahassee to Little Rock... This is a bad FCS team. I'll go 59-7 in this one.

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on August 24, 2017, 09:12:36 pm
7 days until Florida A&M takes a bus up from Tallahassee to Little Rock... This is a bad FCS team. I'll go 59-7 in this one.
there will definately be a lot of hog touchdowns to celebrate.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on August 24, 2017, 09:12:36 pm

Which means it'll probably be a 35-28 affair

cuckoobird

Idk if A&M will beat us by that much...

PrivateLesson

It's Game Day People!!!   

WoooPig!!!     Hogs win by 14!!

WPWells

They had better win by more than 14...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: WPWells on August 31, 2017, 01:15:44 pm
They had better win by more than 14...

And if they don't?

PrivateLesson

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 31, 2017, 02:14:43 pm
And if they don't?

I guess everybody starts complaining?   Tis' the season of football!

beach bum

Last I saw we are a 48 point favorite in Vegas.... I knew Florida A&M is one of the worst teams even in FCS lately. But a 7 score favorite??

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas