• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cuckoobird

January 24, 2017, 06:51:24 pm #300 Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:55:19 pm by cuckoobird
He did at LSU and his last year at MSU was the best record since 1965.

ricepig

No one doubts Saban's ability to coach, but the state of Louisiana has more top recruits per capita than any state, and Bama's rankings were mostly top 15 even before Saban arrived.

OB11

So if we're saying Arkansas doesn't inherently have those types of athletes to recruit in-state, how do you get the type of talent you need to win consistently in the SEC at Arkansas?

Would a new coach fix that? Or even be able to fix that? 

smallybells

January 25, 2017, 08:17:44 am #303 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:19:58 am by smallybells
I may be late to the party on this, but what is the Hogs problem with B.J. Thompson? I happened to catch a story on him during the local news last night because Texas was just added to his list of offers. How can we not even offer this kid??? I can guarantee you that Jimbo Fisher and several other schoools on his offer list, aren't wasting a scholarship offer on a scrub. I even read an interview from him earlier this year where he said he would "embrace" on offer from his home state, not to mention I read somewhere ealier that there are 2 other kids in state that have offers from Alabama and Notre Dame that they have snubbed. I try to stay as positive as I can on their outlook up there but it keeps getting harder and harder to sip the kool aid.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: smallybells on January 25, 2017, 08:17:44 am
I may be late to the party on this, but what is the Hogs problem with B.J. Thompson? I happened to catch a story on him during the local news last night because Texas was just added to his list of offers. How can we not even offer this kid??? I can guarantee you that Jimbo Fisher and several other schoools on his offer list, aren't wasting a scholarship offer on a scrub. I even read an interview from him earlier this year where he said he would "embrace" on offer from his home state, not to mention I read somewhere ealier that there are 2 other kids in state that have offers from Alabama and Notre Dame that they have snubbed. I try to stay as positive as I can on their outlook up there but it keeps getting harder and harder to sip the kool aid.
He is being offered by Baylor, Florida State, Washington State and Utah among other lower tier D-1 schools...just like Pine Bluff kids we lose...Arkansas has yet to even offer him...lol...we can't even keep our in state kids...

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 25, 2017, 08:47:45 am
He is being offered by Baylor, Florida State, Washington State and Utah among other lower tier D-1 schools...just like Pine Bluff kids we lose...Arkansas has yet to even offer him...lol...we can't even keep our in state kids...

Bert is too busy picking up third tier Florida players. He must enjoy recruiting players who would play for Central Florida and Florida Atlantic otherwise cause they couldn't play for Florida State or Miami. Bert has strange recruiting tatics as you and myself have at least realized.

cuckoobird

The dumbest question I ever here when talking about recruiting is, "what other D1 schools are offering?"
  Why are we gauging a recruit by who else is recruiting them? Every school has different needs every year and different player profiles to fit their scheme.

Made

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 25, 2017, 10:25:42 am
The dumbest question I ever here when talking about recruiting is, "what other D1 schools are offering?"
  Why are we gauging a recruit by who else is recruiting them? Every school has different needs every year and different player profiles to fit their scheme.
I agree, Arkansas should keep doing what they are doing :)

smallybells

The dumbest thing I see, is to continue to do the same thing and get statistically worse 3 years in a row and I am not just talking about solely scouting talent, but i think it plays a role. A lot of the issues are fundamental football- false starts, holding, dropping balls, arm tackling, completely missing assignments etc., and they just keep doing it over and over and over. It is ok lose ball games to better teams, but there is no excuse to not be able to exhibit fundamentally sound football practices the majority of the time at the upper echelon D1 level.

beach bum

In general I totally agree. However if a handful of schools like Bama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, or Florida State wanted them and they randomly ended up here I'll gladly take them. There is about 5 to 8 schools that just attract the cream of the crop. After that I totally agree the other 120 are all fighting over the same guys in a complete crapshoot.

ricepig

What's funny, is these other school's boards crying on offering lowly 3*'s from Arkansas. Now, if we had them committed, these same posters would say, why?? As Cuck said above, every school has their own needs and wants. These players attended Arkansas camps, have been seen by our coaches in camp and in person, and now are getting offers from schools that have only seen tape and most haven't even been in their school to put the eye test on them. I hope every player gets the opportunity to play major college football and live their dreams.

Let's see where some of these guys end up on NSD.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 11:38:51 am
What's funny, is these other school's boards crying on offering lowly 3*'s from Arkansas. Now, if we had them committed, these same posters would say, why?? As Cuck said above, every school has their own needs and wants. These players attended Arkansas camps, have been seen by our coaches in camp and in person, and now are getting offers from schools that have only seen tape and most haven't even been in their school to put the eye test on them. I hope every player gets the opportunity to play major college football and live their dreams.

Let's see where some of these guys end up on NSD.
Rice, I have to wonder if what our coaches see at camps even means anything...it isn't panning out right now...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 25, 2017, 01:22:23 pm
Rice, I have to wonder if what our coaches see at camps even means anything...it isn't panning out right now...

Well, it isn't the first, nor will it be the last time that things didn't "pan" out. Let's see where some of these kids are on NSD, and in the next few years. The only one that I've seen anyone talk about as a potential miss is the Thompson kid. However, he's a two year project at his weight, and we don't need another TE in this class. He's also about 80lbs from being a 3-4 DE. They're looking for guys to step in and play on the d-line, they may not get anyone, but that's what they need.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 25, 2017, 08:47:45 am

Hmm, commits to Colorado State.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 05:25:04 pm
Hmm, commits to Colorado State.
I just saw that on 247 this morning. Did he commit today?

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 25, 2017, 08:39:02 pm
I just saw that on 247 this morning. Did he commit today?

I think yesterday. I read from one of his coaches that he's still an academic risk. Texas wasn't willing to take that chance as they lose two scholarships if he doesn't qualify. Supposedly CSU and Rutgers were willing to take that chance. Of course, that may all be B.S.

nuttinbuthogs

Do these kids have offers, or just letters or interest.  I've seen kids who get letters, but not offers and they mistake that for an offer.

ricepig

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 26, 2017, 05:26:47 pm
Do these kids have offers, or just letters or interest.  I've seen kids who get letters, but not offers and they mistake that for an offer.

I believe they are getting offers, some of them contingent on other factors, like grades, guys we have ahead of you, etc....So, some are outright offers, and some hinge on a few things.

ricepig

Porter committed to the Hogs this morning, we lost a lower rated guy to Oklahoma, and flipped him from CSU.

Romeo

AirWarren

Redwolves8526

Lowest ranked class in the Bielema era? Wow

AirWarren

Apathy is a wonderful thing.

Don't lose your pants boys. He is here one more year. Two max. Especially if he doesn't win 10 or more this year.

It is well documented that:
1. He hates to lose.
2. He likes to be the bully.
3. Takes pride in not ever being fired or ran off.

I like him. He probably makes a great neighbor.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 31, 2017, 10:15:37 am
Apathy is a wonderful thing.

Don't lose your pants boys. He is here one more year. Two max. Especially if he doesn't win 10 or more this year.

It is well documented that:
1. He hates to lose.
2. He likes to be the bully.
3. Takes pride in not ever being fired or ran off.

I like him. He probably makes a great neighbor.

He's here for 2018 regardless of 2017.

beach bum

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 31, 2017, 10:06:05 am
Lowest ranked class in the Bielema era? Wow

Yeah, the future isn't looking bright.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 01:17:27 pm
He's here for 2018 regardless of 2017.
Maybe, maybe not...you never know. If he flops bad this year enough just may be enough...

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 31, 2017, 04:15:02 pm
Maybe, maybe not...you never know. If he flops bad this year enough just may be enough...

I sadly think it would take a 5-7 record to have them even consider it. Me personally if he didn't get to 8 wins I would say goodbye. Another 7-5 year and he just then gets above .500 in 5 years as long as they won the bowl game too. If disaster strikes and we were to drop TCU and A&M early the Hogs could easily be looking at 5-7 and 6-6 would probably be the best at that point. To me if you can't win more than 7 games in the regular season after 5 years it is time to go. They must split the Texas schools.

AirWarren

Hayden Henry
Pulaski academy
Offered and commits to Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 31, 2017, 04:33:11 pm
Hayden Henry
Pulaski academy
Offered and commits to Arkansas.

As a blue shirt.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 31, 2017, 04:15:02 pm

Well, anything is possible, just not probable. It would take a sub .500 record, and enough major boosters coughing up some major bucks.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 05:04:19 pm
Well, anything is possible, just not probable. It would take a sub .500 record, and enough major boosters coughing up some major bucks.
Yep, just saying it is possible...

Lions84

Romeo

Arkansas ranked 24th in both rivals.com and ESPN.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on February 01, 2017, 02:18:45 pm

Make that 14th and I would say maybe we had a chance with Bert in charge.... 24th will not cut it with what we have in place already.

zebradynasty

One thing that pops out is the emphasis on speed in the back 7 on defense. Would have loved more LB's and DT's though.

Jacketman65

Quote from: beach bum on January 31, 2017, 03:42:29 pm
Yeah, the future isn't looking bright.
At Least we beat Kentucky!  HA :'(

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Romeo on February 01, 2017, 02:18:45 pm
I just now read three sites and ESPN has us at 26th, Rivals 24th and 247 28th...but the key number here is 10th out of 14...SEC...

Romeo

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 02, 2017, 08:20:08 am
I just now read three sites and ESPN has us at 26th, Rivals 24th and 247 28th...but the key number here is 10th out of 14...SEC...

Absolutely. While we have decent signing classes, most of the SEC gets better recruits, which is why we stay in the middle to the bottom of the pack in the conference. Arkansas is just not an easy place to recruit. We have to do more with less to compete.

beach bum

Now that we know the signing day rankings along with more importantly what people have coming back I will take a crack at the SEC next fall.....

WEST:
1)Alabama
2)Auburn
3)LSU
4)Texas A&M
5)Mississippi State
6)Arkansas
7)Ole Miss

EAST:
1)Georgia
2)South Carolina
3)Florida
4)Tennessee
5)Kentucky
6)Missouri
7)Vanderbilt

-Butch Jones gets fired after a 7-5 season & so does Bert after a 5-7 season to justify the buyout

-Hugh Freeze throws in the towel & resigns which is a mutual thing between him and the school considering the situation at Oxford

Longfellow

Hugh Freeze to Arkansas in 2018?

Made

Quote from: Longfellow on February 03, 2017, 09:48:11 am
Hugh Freeze to Arkansas in 2018?
Fantastic I like it, I am jumping on this bandwagon now

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Made on February 03, 2017, 09:57:54 am
Fantastic I like it, I am jumping on this bandwagon now
No so fast my friend...if Bert goes 6-7 this next season and loses to Arkansas Tech in the "Always Save Creme Corn .60 a Can Bowl" he will get a five year extension worth 5.8 million per year and a buyout till year 5 of double the salary, paid out at termination. Jeff Long is one smart dude... ;)

Made

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 03, 2017, 11:41:01 am
No so fast my friend...if Bert goes 6-7 this next season and loses to Arkansas Tech in the "Always Save Creme Corn .60 a Can Bowl" he will get a five year extension worth 5.8 million per year and a buyout till year 5 of double the salary, paid out at termination. Jeff Long is one smart dude... ;)
Fantastic, I like that deal even better, consider me on that band wagon.

OB11

Saw where Fayetteville has once again been voted the best place to live in the SEC.  If that is the case, why is it so difficult to recruit players to go there?

fbhound

Quote from: OB11 on February 08, 2017, 09:50:18 am
Saw where Fayetteville has once again been voted the best place to live in the SEC.  If that is the case, why is it so difficult to recruit players to go there?
Not enough night life on Dickson street I guess. And when the players leave or fail grades, they go back home anyway, away from the school scene. Some stay but get in trouble with distractions of worst proportions. Most athletes prefer the "deep South" atmosphere rather than NW AR... That's why THREE big Div I football schools are in Mississippi (Southern Miss, Ole Miss and Miss. State). Look at state of Florida!!

Longfellow

Ole Miss is in Oxford. Oxford is the size of Russellville

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on February 08, 2017, 09:50:18 am

Because the players aren't going to the Art's festivals, going camping, riding the bike trails, they're practicing football. There's a big difference in what 25-35 year olds do, and what 18-22 year olds do during their school years.

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2017, 12:29:31 pm
Because the players aren't going to the Art's festivals, going camping, riding the bike trails, they're practicing football. There's a big difference in what 25-35 year olds do, and what 18-22 year olds do during their school years.

This I can agree with.  And are the exact justifications for their basis on Fayetteville.

beach bum

Fayetteville is good, but I will take Nashville and Gainesville though.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas