• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 09:17:13 pm
7-6 overall...2-6 in conference and we won the Texas Bowl...and that warranted a 2 year extension with a crazy buyout? Amazing...We all should apply at the UofA. Well, my name is Joe and I am below average at sweeping. Sometimes I sweep, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't even show up. Sometimes I work half the day then quit and don't finish my job. I am never prepared for work. I can sweep the easy floors, but those hard floors beat me every time...after work I go to the bar and brag about my performance at my last job and make fun of other people that sweep...but they are still better than me... I should get a raise...
In real world circumstances people don't get raises for being average. People that are average in the corporate world don't last long...it's called business...and trust me, every other school in America treats it as a business. I guess we don't...

Nothing's stopping you, but some ability and talent, but go for it!

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 09:20:45 pm
Nothing's stopping you, but some ability and talent, but go for it!
Yeah, nice answer. I know CBB is your boy, or you his...but it doesn't take much intelligence to see that this was and is a bad deal...both for the UA and the fans...unless you like mediocrity...

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 09:30:19 pm
Yeah, nice answer. I know CBB is your boy, or you his...but it doesn't take much intelligence to see that this was and is a bad deal...both for the UA and the fans...unless you like mediocrity...
Bring back CBP no mediocrity there

Billie Blue

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 09:17:13 pm
7-6 overall...2-6 in conference and we won the Texas Bowl...and that warranted a 2 year extension with a crazy buyout? Amazing...We all should apply at the UofA. Well, my name is Joe and I am below average at sweeping. Sometimes I sweep, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't even show up. Sometimes I work half the day then quit and don't finish my job. I am never prepared for work. I can sweep the easy floors, but those hard floors beat me every time...after work I go to the bar and brag about my performance at my last job and make fun of other people that sweep...but they are still better than me... I should get a raise...
In real world circumstances people don't get raises for being average. People that are average in the corporate world don't last long...it's called business...and trust me, every other school in America treats it as a business. I guess we don't...

I don't know if any post has made me laugh so hard because the analogy was spot on. This is right up there with some of the stuff koobird and oldman have made me laugh at their posts.

Made

Quote from: beach bum on January 19, 2017, 10:41:20 pm
I don't know if any post has made me laugh so hard because the analogy was spot on. This is right up there with some of the stuff koobird and oldman have made me laugh at their posts.
don't forget sam...

bdubyab60

Well a year after winning 3 games and no conference games, going 7-6 and 2-6 showed improvement. I like a lot of others said well we should keep trending up. I'm assuming that why he got an extension and that using unusual in the college ranks. The buyout amount was silly. I didn't see any big long posts about the extension when it first happened. Again the buyout is the silly thing because we are now basically handcuffed if they want to get rid of him.

We can face facts and except this is the way it's going tombs for the next two years. Hope that there is some kind of improvement. I bet many will keep complaining about his contract. Signing day is close and with our lack of depth I hope we at least sign a full class. We have left scholarships on the table each year he has been here

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 09:30:19 pm

I don't remember you crying about the extension in early 2015, like most of your posts, they deal in hindsight, what it's.......I also don't remember seeing very many on the various boards complaining about the extension. I told you the buyout was excessive, but the one's who signed off on it obviously didn't.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2017, 08:08:27 am
I don't remember you crying about the extension in early 2015, like most of your posts, they deal in hindsight, what it's.......I also don't remember seeing very many on the various boards complaining about the extension. I told you the buyout was excessive, but the one's who signed off on it obviously didn't.
lol, I am not gonna look it up but I did question it. If you want to fine. Myself along with a couple others, one being Cuckoo certainly did question it. The buyout is excessive, we all know that Rice, certainly don't need any of Bert's boys telling us that. The one's who signed off are certainly the idiots in this case...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 20, 2017, 08:43:46 am
lol, I am not gonna look it up but I did question it. If you want to fine. Myself along with a couple others, one being Cuckoo certainly did question it. The buyout is excessive, we all know that Rice, certainly don't need any of Bert's boys telling us that. The one's who signed off are certainly the idiots in this case...

Yeah, too bad everyone isn't as clairvoyant as you are, lol.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2017, 10:02:23 am
Yeah, too bad everyone isn't as clairvoyant as you are, lol.
Yeah because we know for a fact that the powers that be on the hill have made some great choices...lol...

Made

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 20, 2017, 10:40:41 am
Yeah because we know for a fact that the powers that be on the hill have made some great choices...lol...
I agree I am loving it :)

zebradynasty

It would have been nice to have known from day one that short of a catastrophe UA was going to give him 6 years. I think everyone was in agreement with giving him time but...on the other hand I'm not sure its time to pull the plug either. Got a lot riding on the 2017 and I think it's fine to let him know that the seat is getting warmer.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 20, 2017, 10:40:41 am

Well, yeah, poor choices are made every day, everywhere.

AT

I hope everyone realizes how much better the SEC West is now than it was when Nutt was there.

Alabama had their darkest times in program history, Ole Miss and Miss State were jokes. Auburn and LSU were the torch carriers with Arkansas being a solid 3rd team. He also didn't have to deal with Texas A&M.

beach bum

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 20, 2017, 09:09:38 pm
I hope everyone realizes how much better the SEC West is now than it was when Nutt was there.

Alabama had their darkest times in program history, Ole Miss and Miss State were jokes. Auburn and LSU were the torch carriers with Arkansas being a solid 3rd team. He also didn't have to deal with Texas A&M.

I agree with you except for this season.... The SEC was nothing special. That is the East and the West.

AT

Nutt went 10-4, 7-1 his last season with Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and Peyton Hillis in the backfield. Kudos to him for getting them there, but that team had talent coming out of it's ears and we got destroyed by USC to start the season and ended the year on a 3 game losing streak.

AT

Quote from: beach bum on January 20, 2017, 09:14:55 pm
I agree with you except for this season.... The SEC was nothing special. That is the East and the West.

The SEC was down this season, but that's really relative to what it's been recently. I would still take Ole Miss, the worst team in the West this season, and I think they would finish even ahead of early 2000s Arkansas teams in the SEC West if we placed them there.

I mean Mississippi State was the 6th place team in the West this year and they were definitely better than their 6th and 5th place finishes back in the day.

AT

He also had that same backfield his last season and went 8-5, 4-4. Yes, they beat LSU on the road that season when they were #1, but I think the story was more "How was Arkansas only 4-4 in the SEC" more than "Wow! Arkansas beat LSU!"

cuckoobird

It would be nice to win 4 sec games

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 20, 2017, 09:21:36 pm
He also had that same backfield his last season and went 8-5, 4-4. Yes, they beat LSU on the road that season when they were #1, but I think the story was more "How was Arkansas only 4-4 in the SEC" more than "Wow! Arkansas beat LSU!"
I agree on the conference being weaker, no doubting that. But as sad as it is HDN was better than CBB...same can be said for CBB at Wisconsin. The conference was weaker when he was winning...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 21, 2017, 08:51:53 am
It would be nice to win 4 sec games
It would be nice to be above .500 after 4 years...

nuttinbuthogs

UA does not need to do anything with his contract unless he wins 10 games this coming season. Sit on it and wait until he proves he deserves an extension or raise or to be non-renewed. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 22, 2017, 03:13:22 pm
UA does not need to do anything with his contract unless he wins 10 games this coming season. Sit on it and wait until he proves he deserves an extension or raise or to be non-renewed. 
Trust me, he wins 8 games he will get a two year extension...that's just how stupid the powers that be at the UA are and have been...

nuttinbuthogs

I wouldn't be surprised but it's not a smart business move.  He's been average and average doesn't deserve an extension or a raise.  If he wins 10, yes.  Maybe you talk if he wins 9, nothing less.  He is on contract for a couple more years anyway and we are in deep on his buyout. UA needs to get into a better position on his contract and the buyout.  If he starts winning and challenging or winning the west then talk.  Maybe we can get Trump to negotiate his new contract.

cuckoobird

Trump?!! Haha he would expect a return on his investment. CBB is a Hillary guy, expects something for nothing, or so it would seem by his performance.
I know this is asking too much but I have no problems with performance based bonuses or incentives. Win 9 games get a million bonus. Win 10, get 500000-1000000 more. Win the SECtitle game throw in a million more. Win it all, get another million. Of course this would be based on an annual salary of about 2.5 million. Make them earn obscene money don't just hand it to them

ricepig

Sounds good in principle, but that's not how it works in the SEC. I doubt you'd get the coach you wanted in the beginning, paying $1.5M below the average.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2017, 12:38:32 pm
Sounds good in principle, but that's not how it works in the SEC. I doubt you'd get the coach you wanted in the beginning, paying $1.5M below the average.
what does Bama pay.Does Bama pay the most in SEC.

ricepig

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on January 23, 2017, 01:02:41 pm
what does Bama pay.Does Bama pay the most in SEC.

Saban gets $7M, Bielema $4.1M

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2017, 01:07:15 pm
Saban gets $7M, Bielema $4.1M
Not to mention the extras they dole out.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 23, 2017, 03:41:01 pm
Not to mention the extras they dole out.
But Saban is worth that much more than Bert. Bert isn't worth what he is making. I like the idea of bonuses, but Rice is right in this instance, it would be very hard to get anyone good...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 23, 2017, 05:42:15 pm
But Saban is worth that much more than Bert. Bert isn't worth what he is making. I like the idea of bonuses, but Rice is right in this instance, it would be very hard to get anyone good...

I'm always right.....

Lumberjackfan1978

That's a big difference alright.we probably couldn't get anyone we wanted

cuckoobird

We don't have anyone good now vinny!

cuckoobird

Honestly, I believe it would give you the opportunity to get a coach with great character because he isn't afraid to EARN his money and would definitely give him more motivation to be the very best he can be

Lumberjackfan1978

I agree cuck it would definitely give him the motivation to get the most out of his team

Redwolves8526

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 23, 2017, 08:24:52 pm
Honestly, I believe it would give you the opportunity to get a coach with great character because he isn't afraid to EARN his money and would definitely give him more motivation to be the very best he can be

Even a coach with great character would be smart enough to not walk into that situation. If I was an SEC caliber coach, there is no way in hades I would take that offer. Too big of a risk for the coach. One or two average seasons and you're fired without a high buyout and only getting paid a million per? No way. Incentives are good, but having to win to get your income even somewhat competitive with other SEC coaches would be too much pressure and too high of a risk.

Sure, maybe Bert shouldn't be getting paid 4-5 mil a year. He should have to earn that money. But to have 2-3 million on the table based entirely off incentives probably doesn't sound too appealing to a great coach. Just my opinion.

OB11

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 23, 2017, 08:24:52 pm

If you could pick any coach in the country right now to take over the Razorback program who would it be?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: OB11 on January 24, 2017, 09:04:51 am
If you could pick any coach in the country right now to take over the Razorback program who would it be?
Well the easy choice would be Nick Saban...but realistically...Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State...

cuckoobird

Redwolves, the base salary would be 2.5-3 million then tac on the incentives. You could still have some sort of a buyout to protect the coach but the one they gave bert was ridiculous. Honestly if we could afford bert's buyout it would be worth it to pay him not to coach for us

cuckoobird

@OB11
I like Venny's answer but to add another name, Lance Liepold from Buffalo. He's paid $600000 a year and has a winning % of .835. You can't tell me someone like that wouldn't take 2.5-3 million a year with the opportunity to earn big bonuses and play in the SEC. I think our next coach should be someone who has proven they can build a program not just someone who was fortunate enough to take over a winning program with a great former coach as the AD. It's very apparent that Bert is no carpenter

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 24, 2017, 11:11:27 am
@OB11
I like Venny's answer but to add another name, Lance Liepold from Buffalo. He's paid $600000 a year and has a winning % of .835. You can't tell me someone like that wouldn't take 2.5-3 million a year with the opportunity to earn big bonuses and play in the SEC. I think our next coach should be someone who has proven they can build a program not just someone who was fortunate enough to take over a winning program with a great former coach as the AD. It's very apparent that Bert is no carpenter

So, pay a guy that's 7-17 in FBS football, $3M?? Yeah, I wonder why no one else is jumping in to hire him. Yes, he was successful at DIII, but the SEC isn't D-III. Also, after going 5-7 his first year, he was given an extension, and then went 2-10 this year, maybe he quit coaching this year?

cuckoobird

All I'm saying is it doesn't have to be a nick saban type coach. We need a guy who can recruit 3 stars and make them play within his scheme to produce 4 and 5 star results. You guys are the ones saying everyone else has a recruiting advantage so someone who can do that will be our best option. Honestly I don't think saban could win without all the talent he has but he definitely knows how to recruit

bdubyab60

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 23, 2017, 05:42:15 pm
I understand that. But the extras Im talking about I don't think are drawn up in a contract. Club memberships cars and jets. things of that nature that he gets for free. I cant confirm all that but you know he is getting plenty of benefits.

ricepig

There really isn't any way of knowing what they'll look for the next time we hire a coach. Lots of variables in play, such as, who's the AD, who's available, is the money fountain still flowing, and what shape the program is in.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 24, 2017, 02:53:33 pm
I understand that. But the extras Im talking about I don't think are drawn up in a contract. Club memberships cars and jets. things of that nature that he gets for free. I cant confirm all that but you know he is getting plenty of benefits.

Not sure what Saban gets but Bielema gets the use of two vehicles and has a membership at Fayetteville CC and the Blessings CC. I don't believe there are any jet use hours in his contract, but he may get some complimentary use from some boosters. I know he uses Wheels Up for some personal jet use, as he's pimped them on twitter.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 24, 2017, 01:11:28 pm
So, pay a guy that's 7-17 in FBS football, $3M?? Yeah, I wonder why no one else is jumping in to hire him. Yes, he was successful at DIII, but the SEC isn't D-III. Also, after going 5-7 his first year, he was given an extension, and then went 2-10 this year, maybe he quit coaching this year?
You have to be talking about the guy from Buffalo...because Satterfield has been good every year but his first...

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 24, 2017, 02:08:10 pm
All I'm saying is it doesn't have to be a nick saban type coach. We need a guy who can recruit 3 stars and make them play within his scheme to produce 4 and 5 star results. You guys are the ones saying everyone else has a recruiting advantage so someone who can do that will be our best option. Honestly I don't think saban could win without all the talent he has but he definitely knows how to recruit

How to recruit, but more importantly who.  Of course when you have as many titles as he does they come calling.

cuckoobird

He could get them to come before he had any titles

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 24, 2017, 05:15:08 pm
He could get them to come before he had any titles

He wasn't getting them at Michigan St........

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas