• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 10:39:12 am
No, an extension isn't a problem when you have earned it. Giving one because other coaches have them is just plane ridiculous. He could have given an extension with a restructured buyout. Giving the CEO of KMart an extension because the CEO at Walmart has earned one would never happen in the business world.

Is that a jet or turbo prop plane? Some might think that making a bowl after two seasons of not making one deserves an extension. I said the buyout wasn't a good idea, but it is if you don't plan on firing someone during its run.

cuckoobird

When a coach that gets paid 4.6 million a year 2 years to win as many conference games as it took a coach that everyone knew was interim and really was the only option at the time 1 year, you don't extend a buyout and I'm pretty sure in the business world a good board wouldn't even extend the contract on principal earnings unless the protected their investment by creating some type of performance clause. Are you saying that you think it was a good deal for the university to tie their hands up with an extension after poor performance? I highly doubt you would do the same if it concerned someone share cropping or running your farming operation

ricepig

Who's getting $4.6M? This isn't the real business world, this is sports, and since when has sports salaries been tied to anything remotely related with the real world? Your definition of a poor performance is just that, your opinion. Those who made/make the decision thought otherwise.

As to my situation, I've tried down tenants to long term leases numerous times, often to clean up farms that I've bought that needed time and effort spent on them.

cuckoobird

It is definitely not my opinion that poor performance is winning 2 conference games in 2 years. Every sports team is a business and you know that. You aren't getting the point about your business or actually you probably are yet deny that you would attempt to get rid of a poor manager. It's ok to say that decision was a bad one rice, I promise no one is going to rough you up

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 03:45:32 pm
It is definitely not my opinion that poor performance is winning 2 conference games in 2 years. Every sports team is a business and you know that. You aren't getting the point about your business or actually you probably are yet deny that you would attempt to get rid of a poor manager. It's ok to say that decision was a bad one rice, I promise no one is going to rough you up

It depends on what you inherit as talent and what changes you are making. It isn't as simple as "2 wins in 2 years", that may be why some people work for others, and some are able to see the big picture and develop and grow a business. I said the buyout was wrong, the extension was fine. Again, if you're going to give someone "X" amount of years, it doesn't matter how big the buyout was.

cuckoobird

So you agree, all the folks who signed off on the extended buy out are idiots. Thanks

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 05:23:49 pm
So you agree, all the folks who signed off on the extended buy out are idiots. Thanks

Only if the intend to pay it, which they don't.

cuckoobird

So you agree, that all the people who extended the buyout are love mediocrity, thanks

mtindian42

January 10, 2017, 06:00:50 pm #208 Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:09:36 pm by mtindian42
Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 05:56:32 pm
So you agree, that all the people who extended the buyout are love mediocrity, thanks
-

cuckoobird

mtindian42

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 05:56:32 pm

No, I'm saying they were going to give him 6 years, that's what I'm saying.

cuckoobird

Another false accusation. Are you ever correct? Or are YOU always "dumb"?

mtindian42

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 06:14:15 pm
Another false accusation. Are you ever correct? Or are YOU always "dumb"?
what?

cuckoobird

ricepig

mtindian42

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 06:58:31 pm
I think he's talking to himself again.
I'm worried about him. That's twice now!

Jacketman65

Just normal for him!  :)

FD4

Lots of good points and nonsense on this topic.  Look at it like this.  What would happen to any head coach if they run their offense out on the field, ran a B gap dive three times and punted every possession?  They would not get a second chance to make that mistake again, right?  So, what are we waiting for.  Get a coach that can be innovative and win, or get out of the Black and Blue conference of conference's and play somewhere else to save face.

ricepig

Quote from: FD4 on January 17, 2017, 11:07:41 am
Lots of good points and nonsense on this topic.  Look at it like this.  What would happen to any head coach if they run their offense out on the field, ran a B gap dive three times and punted every possession?  They would not get a second chance to make that mistake again, right?  So, what are we waiting for.  Get a coach that can be innovative and win, or get out of the Black and Blue conference of conference's and play somewhere else to save face.

So, the offense was the problem last year, or the year before?

cuckoobird

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 12:48:26 pm
So, the offense was the problem last year, or the year before?
come on rice, you're an educated man (but you can't educate sense), you know that was an analogy.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 17, 2017, 01:44:05 pm
come on rice, you're an educated man (but you can't educate sense), you know that was an analogy.

+1 to you, I would have bet the ranch that you would have spelled it  s i n c e. So, we needed an innovative defensive coach, gotcha.

cuckoobird

January 19, 2017, 07:46:42 am #222 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:48:49 am by cuckoobird
Lord help you..
  I believe he's saying bert doesn't have the capability to conform his style of play to the kinds of players he's recruiting.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Ole Bert is a lot like Les Miles in a way...he is stubborn. He thinks his way is the only way, refuses to think outside the box. He is lucky he is at Arkansas where the Administration is dumber than him.
CBB thinks he can be physical like Bama in the SEC and win. EHHHHHHHHH, wrong! CBB can't recruit like Miles did.

Let's all strap in for another exciting 6-6 or 7-5 season and talk about how we ALMOST beat A&M, played Bama within 30, had Ole Miss on the ropes...shoulda had'em. Maybe we keep Auburn within 50 this year. That should get another extension.
And Heaven help if Ole Bert actually goes 8-4 and wins a bowl game...sheeeeeeezzzz. He will get a 10 year 100 million dollar contract extension with a full buyout at the end of each season. Heck maybe Ole Jeff can get it in Bert's contract that if the UA were to fire him we would have to double his buyout! Now there, there is a man in Jeff Long that is working hard for the better of the University and the state. A man who has his fan base first in his heart...If we could just lose to Bama in OT...that might push this over the edge and get Bert all these extensions...
Maybe next we could dome the stadium so Bert wouldn't have to see the planes fly over...hmmmm...

Face it folks, Bert talks to the right people, BS's them into his way of thinking. He plays the right players so as to not overturn the apple cart on the hill. We are now the program of mediocrity. There was a point in time where a team that had to play the Razorbacks knew they were in for a game. They knew they had to prepare hard. When you faced Broyles, Holtz, Hatfield...it was game on. Danny Ford not so much...heck even Ole Houston was on everyone's radar. Petrino was most definetly on the radar on every coaches list.
Now it's like...who we got? Arkansas? Oh, who is after them?

The school of Mediocrity...and the sad part is...50% of fans are okay with it... ???

Made

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 08:46:51 am
Ole Bert is a lot like Les Miles in a way...he is stubborn. He thinks his way is the only way, refuses to think outside the box. He is lucky he is at Arkansas where the Administration is dumber than him.
CBB thinks he can be physical like Bama in the SEC and win. EHHHHHHHHH, wrong! CBB can't recruit like Miles did.

Let's all strap in for another exciting 6-6 or 7-5 season and talk about how we ALMOST beat A&M, played Bama within 30, had Ole Miss on the ropes...shoulda had'em. Maybe we keep Auburn within 50 this year. That should get another extension.
And Heaven help if Ole Bert actually goes 8-4 and wins a bowl game...sheeeeeeezzzz. He will get a 10 year 100 million dollar contract extension with a full buyout at the end of each season. Heck maybe Ole Jeff can get it in Bert's contract that if the UA were to fire him we would have to double his buyout! Now there, there is a man in Jeff Long that is working hard for the better of the University and the state. A man who has his fan base first in his heart...If we could just lose to Bama in OT...that might push this over the edge and get Bert all these extensions...
Maybe next we could dome the stadium so Bert wouldn't have to see the planes fly over...hmmmm...

Face it folks, Bert talks to the right people, BS's them into his way of thinking. He plays the right players so as to not overturn the apple cart on the hill. We are now the program of mediocrity. There was a point in time where a team that had to play the Razorbacks knew they were in for a game. They knew they had to prepare hard. When you faced Broyles, Holtz, Hatfield...it was game on. Danny Ford not so much...heck even Ole Houston was on everyone's radar. Petrino was most definetly on the radar on every coaches list.
Now it's like...who we got? Arkansas? Oh, who is after them?

The school of Mediocrity...and the sad part is...50% of fans are okay with it... ???
I am perfectly fine with it, every week is exciting.....are they gonna win or are they gonna choke, must be boring being an alabama fan where you win every week of the regular season. ;)

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Made on January 19, 2017, 08:54:33 am
I am perfectly fine with it, every week is exciting.....are they gonna win or are they gonna choke, must be boring being an alabama fan where you win every week of the regular season. ;)
lol...nice...

Redwolves8526

For all of you that want him fired, if he were to be gone today, who would you want in replacement? Then ask yourself if that is a realistic possibility. Every time I get into a conversation with someone who is anti-bert, they usually can't give me a realistic answer.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 19, 2017, 09:35:17 am
For all of you that want him fired, if he were to be gone today, who would you want in replacement? Then ask yourself if that is a realistic possibility. Every time I get into a conversation with someone who is anti-bert, they usually can't give me a realistic answer.
Jon Gruden man...Jon Gruden...lol...but seriously, at this point does it matter? Anyone could be average...can you argue that? Right now it's about buyout money...

AirWarren

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 09:54:49 am
Jon Gruden man...Jon Gruden...lol...but seriously, at this point does it matter? Anyone could be average...can you argue that? Right now it's about buyout money...

Everyone at Arkansas has been average. Except Broyle's, Hatfield, and Holtz.

Sprinkle in a few above average seasons by Nutt and Petrino....and you got a middle of the pack Arkansas Razorback football program.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: AirWarren on January 19, 2017, 10:05:31 am
Everyone at Arkansas has been average. Except Broyle's, Hatfield, and Holtz.

Sprinkle in a few above average seasons by Nutt and Petrino....and you got a middle of the pack Arkansas Razorback football program.
Not true...CBP was 34-17, well above average and was trending up. Two back to back ten win seasons and two good bowls. He got better each year. Nutt was 75-48, well above average. Now Nutt's last two season when he was trending down,was better than anything Bert has done yet. Nutt's next to last year was 10-4, 7-1 in conference.Saying Arkansas is just average or has to be is a pathetic argument. History, recent history tells us different...

Made

the 10 pages of fire houston nutt in the deme gaz were classic though....

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 09:54:49 am

Yeah, you could have another John L

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 10:27:02 am
Not true...CBP was 34-17, well above average and was trending up. Two back to back ten win seasons and two good bowls. He got better each year. Nutt was 75-48, well above average. Now Nutt's last two season when he was trending down,was better than anything Bert has done yet. Nutt's next to last year was 10-4, 7-1 in conference.Saying Arkansas is just average or has to be is a pathetic argument. History, recent history tells us different...

What is amazing is Nutt got fired  after rushing for 460 yards on and beating the eventual national champ. We actually had a coach who practiced what he preached with smash mouth football.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 19, 2017, 10:31:36 am
Yeah, you could have another John L
John L was a one off deal...CBP got fired too late...John L is a bad example.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: beach bum on January 19, 2017, 10:33:37 am
What is amazing is Nutt got fired  after rushing for 460 yards on and beating the eventual national champ. We actually had a coach who practiced what he preached with smash mouth football.
HDN was a much better coach than Bert...man that was hard to spit out...lol...

beach bum

January 19, 2017, 10:38:50 am #235 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:46:07 am by beach bum
Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 19, 2017, 09:35:17 am

I think the next step we will take is promoting Paul Rhoads to head coach next year... just keep moving him up the ladder. Long will write up a 3 year extension after he wins one game against an FCS opponent.

AirWarren

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 10:38:39 am
HDN was a much better coach than Bert...man that was hard to spit out...lol...

Hard to argue that fact.

Boss Hog

Do yall think moving Rhodes to DC was the best move?  I don't know too much about him..

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on January 19, 2017, 10:38:50 am
I think the next step we will take is promoting Paul Rhoads to head coach next year... just keep moving him up the ladder. Long will write up a 3 year extension after he wins one game against an FCS opponent.

You paying off that buyout?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 19, 2017, 07:46:42 am
Lord help you..
  I believe he's saying bert doesn't have the capability to conform his style of play to the kinds of players he's recruiting.

Lord help you, do you think I would enter into a real discussion with you over anything to do with the Arkansas Razorbacks? My goodness man, learn when you are being playe

cuckoobird

You should never enter a conversation with anyone wanting more than mediocre. It's very apparent you are totally fine with that and will defend anything said about the decision making on the hill. One of these days someone up there is going to make a quick turn and snap your nose clean off...

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 11:03:05 am

That should come straight out of Long's pocket....

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 11:03:05 am
Rice, you keep bringing up the buyout. We all get it, we understand it. It is what it is. But don't you agree that the powers that be made a mistake giving Bert the extension?

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 11:48:36 am
Rice, you keep bringing up the buyout. We all get it, we understand it. It is what it is. But don't you agree that the powers that be made a mistake giving Bert the extension?

Did Ernie get one too?

ricepig

The only way they made a mistake was if they thought they would fire him before 6 years. If not, it's just a number, if they thought it was a distinct possibility, then they should pay it out.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 01:05:03 pm
The only way they made a mistake was if they thought they would fire him before 6 years. If not, it's just a number, if they thought it was a distinct possibility, then they should pay it out.
So you think the extension was justified?

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 03:37:47 pm
So you think the extension was justified?

I had no problem with the extension, I think/thought the buyout was too one sided.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 05:11:56 pm
I had no problem with the extension, I think/thought the buyout was too one sided.
So, exactly in your opinion warranted the extension?

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 19, 2017, 08:38:50 pm
So, exactly in your opinion warranted the extension?

I assume you're asking "what" warranted the extension? It's quite common to roll over contracts every year, his wasn't after 2013, we made a bowl game after a two year absence, and won it. We brought his pay up to the average in the SEC West, and extended it two more years. I don't have a problem with this.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 08:53:45 pm
I assume you're asking "what" warranted the extension? It's quite common to roll over contracts every year, his wasn't after 2013, we made a bowl game after a two year absence, and won it. We brought his pay up to the average in the SEC West, and extended it two more years. I don't have a problem with this.
7-6 overall...2-6 in conference and we won the Texas Bowl...and that warranted a 2 year extension with a crazy buyout? Amazing...We all should apply at the UofA. Well, my name is Joe and I am below average at sweeping. Sometimes I sweep, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't even show up. Sometimes I work half the day then quit and don't finish my job. I am never prepared for work. I can sweep the easy floors, but those hard floors beat me every time...after work I go to the bar and brag about my performance at my last job and make fun of other people that sweep...but they are still better than me... I should get a raise...
In real world circumstances people don't get raises for being average. People that are average in the corporate world don't last long...it's called business...and trust me, every other school in America treats it as a business. I guess we don't...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas