• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 05, 2017, 09:06:07 am
Rice is right, CBB will be here next year because of the buyout. The UA would be crazy to pay that kind of money then have to search for a new coach. That part of the equation is squarely on Jeff Long for giving an extension after a miserable season. Next year is a different story. We will see. As for the rumors, no Jimmie Johnson isn't coming back to his Alma Mater, Jon Gruden wasn't on the Hill yesterday and was not seen eating lunch with Jeff Long at McDonald's...Tommy Tuberville would be a bigger mistake than CBB. Maybe Barry Switzer? yeah, that may happen...
So it begs the question, what does Arkansas need. Like him or not, like what he did or not...but the FACT remains that Bobby Petrino had us winning 10 games in back to back seasons and very reputable bowl games. So, above average can be done at the UofA. Nobody can argue that. Trying to argue that is just plain stupid. Heck guys, even Nutt had some very good seasons. But look where we are at now. Below average if you go by wins and losses. How could anyone be happy and condone that. Are we at the point where we are predicting 8 win seasons and then happy if we reach that goal? Facts are facts folks, CBB's record speaks for itself. We can blame recruiting, assistant coaches and so forth but every other coach had the same problems. Face it, under CBB we are a .500 program...it is clear for everyone to see in black and white. Assistants may have messed up, but they were hired by CBB and he is the head hog. It lies squarely on his shoulders. So, how long should he get? We lose quite a bit this year...Oline, our whole Dline. So when does the rebuilding process end and we start having above average seasons?

Also, some of you talking about us "Realists"...what's wrong with that? Just because we don't like those "Feel Good" wins (AKA as close losses). A Loss is a loss. That is real and that is why we are realistic which makes us realists. The Hogs blowing two substantial halftime leads in back to back games is real. One we lost to a miserable Mizzou team...again that is real. Losing 14 leads during CBB's time here at Arkansas is real. Being average is real. His record of 25-26 and 10-22 in conference is real.
Making a prediction that year 5 will be better is a fairy tail at this point. That's not being real, that is being wishful and hopeful. Nothing wrong with that either. I also hope we go 15-0 and win the NC. Heck, I hope we win 10 games and go to a good bowl. But I am a "Realist" and base what I know off of history...and history tells me we will be average. I hope I am proved wrong.

+1

AirWarren

Apathy is a wonderful thing.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: AirWarren on January 05, 2017, 08:51:13 pm
Apathy is a wonderful thing.
I don't know if Apathy is the proper term here AW...I think everyone has interest and cares...it's just everyone has a different way of showing how they support or don't...now after the finish we had this season and nobody was talking or arguing...then we might should be a little worried...lol...

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 05, 2017, 09:06:07 am
Rice is right, CBB will be here next year because of the buyout. The UA would be crazy to pay that kind of money then have to search for a new coach. That part of the equation is squarely on Jeff Long for giving an extension after a miserable season. Next year is a different story. We will see. As for the rumors, no Jimmie Johnson isn't coming back to his Alma Mater, Jon Gruden wasn't on the Hill yesterday and was not seen eating lunch with Jeff Long at McDonald's...Tommy Tuberville would be a bigger mistake than CBB. Maybe Barry Switzer? yeah, that may happen...
So it begs the question, what does Arkansas need. Like him or not, like what he did or not...but the FACT remains that Bobby Petrino had us winning 10 games in back to back seasons and very reputable bowl games. So, above average can be done at the UofA. Nobody can argue that. Trying to argue that is just plain stupid. Heck guys, even Nutt had some very good seasons. But look where we are at now. Below average if you go by wins and losses. How could anyone be happy and condone that. Are we at the point where we are predicting 8 win seasons and then happy if we reach that goal? Facts are facts folks, CBB's record speaks for itself. We can blame recruiting, assistant coaches and so forth but every other coach had the same problems. Face it, under CBB we are a .500 program...it is clear for everyone to see in black and white. Assistants may have messed up, but they were hired by CBB and he is the head hog. It lies squarely on his shoulders. So, how long should he get? We lose quite a bit this year...Oline, our whole Dline. So when does the rebuilding process end and we start having above average seasons?

Also, some of you talking about us "Realists"...what's wrong with that? Just because we don't like those "Feel Good" wins (AKA as close losses). A Loss is a loss. That is real and that is why we are realistic which makes us realists. The Hogs blowing two substantial halftime leads in back to back games is real. One we lost to a miserable Mizzou team...again that is real. Losing 14 leads during CBB's time here at Arkansas is real. Being average is real. His record of 25-26 and 10-22 in conference is real.
Making a prediction that year 5 will be better is a fairy tail at this point. That's not being real, that is being wishful and hopeful. Nothing wrong with that either. I also hope we go 15-0 and win the NC. Heck, I hope we win 10 games and go to a good bowl. But I am a "Realist" and base what I know off of history...and history tells me we will be average. I hope I am proved wrong.
+1 well said

AirWarren

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 05, 2017, 10:07:44 pm
I don't know if Apathy is the proper term here AW...I think everyone has interest and cares...it's just everyone has a different way of showing how they support or don't...now after the finish we had this season and nobody was talking or arguing...then we might should be a little worried...lol...

Im going to do a better job within myself to not listen to preseason hype by the university, idiots like Trey Biddy, etc who make ridiculous claims and excuses all year long. I'm also not going to get irritated by 18-21 year old kids or by a coach that I have ZERO control over. Just enjoy the game win or lose. Life is too short to get bent out of shape over a program that has been in this shape my entire 31 years on earth.

So, I guess that's my apathy meaning haha. It is what it is.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AirWarren on January 06, 2017, 06:42:50 am
Im going to do a better job within myself to not listen to preseason hype by the university, idiots like Trey Biddy, etc who make ridiculous claims and excuses all year long. I'm also not going to get irritated by 18-21 year old kids or by a coach that I have ZERO control over. Just enjoy the game win or lose. Life is too short to get bent out of shape over a program that has been in this shape my entire 31 years on earth.

That's my attitude, the fans that don't want to talk any Arkansas football until they lose bother me more than the team does anymore lol

FD4

Venny, that is perhaps one of the best posts I have ever read from you on any subject on this forum.  Well said and I agree with it 100%.  I would love to be the Hog fan as I once was.  My loyalty to the hill began to fade when Lou left under the principal with which he did.  I thought Danny Ford got the shaft right up the rear when He could have been playing for a national championship in his next season.  Nutt took those 3 and 4 year guys Ford had placed up there and came within one offensive play boobo against Tennessee and one failed stop vs M. State from doing so.  Ken did good, Bobby was perhaps the best we had since Lou and letting Gus get away was the biggest modern era mistake ever made up there.  Who ever gets that job up there in the future, needs to tell Jeff to go take a hike, get out of his way, and let him run the FB  program.  It takes a dedicated individual to deliver success the likes of which all Arkansans want for the U of A.  Your going to have to have a guy like a young Bill Snyder when he arrived at KSU.  Retired in 20 years or so having taken the worst record in D1 to 1st in 3 seasons.  Only to be asked back in 3 years to re-resurrect the program again.  Next season will be his last probably and should be something like 26 seasons.  "FAMILY". 

ricepig

Quote from: FD4 on January 06, 2017, 08:33:44 am
Venny, that is perhaps one of the best posts I have ever read from you on any subject on this forum.  Well said and I agree with it 100%.  I would love to be the Hog fan as I once was.  My loyalty to the hill began to fade when Lou left under the principal with which he did.  I thought Danny Ford got the shaft right up the rear when He could have been playing for a national championship in his next season.  Nutt took those 3 and 4 year guys Ford had placed up there and came within one offensive play boobo against Tennessee and one failed stop vs M. State from doing so.  Ken did good, Bobby was perhaps the best we had since Lou and letting Gus get away was the biggest modern era mistake ever made up there.  Who ever gets that job up there in the future, needs to tell Jeff to go take a hike, get out of his way, and let him run the FB  program.  It takes a dedicated individual to deliver success the likes of which all Arkansans want for the U of A.  Your going to have to have a guy like a young Bill Snyder when he arrived at KSU.  Retired in 20 years or so having taken the worst record in D1 to 1st in 3 seasons.  Only to be asked back in 3 years to re-resurrect the program again.  Next season will be his last probably and should be something like 26 seasons.  "FAMILY".

Arkansas fans, PTB, and just the media theses days, aren't going to let a coach struggle like Snyder did at K-State, or Beamer at VT at their beginning. Long did what he could with a huge buyout, and is getting roasted at the stake for it. There won't be another buyout structured like it again, haha.

cuckoobird

Longs biggest mistake was the extension that wasn't deserved by bert

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 06, 2017, 10:30:32 am
Longs biggest mistake was the extension that wasn't deserved by bert

Well, the President of the system, the Fayetteville Chancellor, and the BOT all signed off on it, as well as the RF.........

cuckoobird

I understand, and they're all idiots too

Longfellow

Looks like Robb Smith will be the new DC at Wake Forest

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2017, 11:26:49 am
Well, the President of the system, the Fayetteville Chancellor, and the BOT all signed off on it, as well as the RF.........
At that point the BOT, RF, President and Chancellor didn't want to go against Jeff's wishes...a show of suport if you will. Now it is biting everyone in the tail...

nuttinbuthogs

I would be surprised if BB is gone any earlier than after next season.  May see some movement in staff.  Defense maybe?  Who knows.  One thing I know, players win games, and to lose games after big leads is as much a player failure as anything.

cuckoobird

Players don't get paid 4.6 million a year to run the team. Everything points at the head coach from players to poor adjustments

VHSCoach2

Robb Smith is expected to accept the defensive coordinator job at Wake Forest.

If true, the defense has already improved!

Jacketman65

Quote from: Longfellow on January 06, 2017, 12:15:22 pm
Looks like Robb Smith will be the new DC at Wake Forest
If this is true, then good luck to Wake Forest!

Coach Venny Slocombe

He is denying the rumor...PLEASE, PLEASE Wake Forest...OFFER HIM! ;D

Made

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 06, 2017, 07:06:50 pm
He is denying the rumor...PLEASE, PLEASE Wake Forest...OFFER HIM! ;D

They held
La Tech to 23 points below their average
Texas State to 12 points below
The D2 school even got held to 10+ points below their average
ol'miss to 2 below avg
florida to 2 touchdowns below

Bad part is the two games leaving a sour taste in everyone's mouth VT averaged 34.9 points a game, they scored 35....they even scored 35 against Clemson, and Missouri averaged 27.1 points a game....

Why is everyone so upset with the Defense when the offense is clearly what let you down, your offense averaged 28 points a game and just didn't get it done. You lose the best part of your team if he goes......just sayin

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Made on January 07, 2017, 02:37:52 am
They held
La Tech to 23 points below their average
Texas State to 12 points below
The D2 school even got held to 10+ points below their average
ol'miss to 2 below avg
florida to 2 touchdowns below

Bad part is the two games leaving a sour taste in everyone's mouth VT averaged 34.9 points a game, they scored 35....they even scored 35 against Clemson, and Missouri averaged 27.1 points a game....

Why is everyone so upset with the Defense when the offense is clearly what let you down, your offense averaged 28 points a game and just didn't get it done. You lose the best part of your team if he goes......just sayin

Lack of adjustments being made after the half in those last two games.... The defense looked jr high bad in second half against VA tech

bdubyab60

Yeah they gave up those points in a half of a game.

mack

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on January 05, 2017, 10:14:25 pm
+1 well said

I wish I had s nickel for every time you've posted" but I hope I'm wrong ".

Basically, I see it going something  like this....
They won eight games...
Yeah, but it's year five, they should have won the West by now.
They won 9 games....
Yeah, but it's year five and they didn't beat Alabama.
And so on....

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: mack on January 07, 2017, 07:42:56 pm

Basically, I see it going something  like this....
They won eight games...
Yeah, but it's year five, they should have won the West by now.
They won 9 games....
Yeah, but it's year five and they didn't beat Alabama.
And so on....
So Mack, please tell us all...when is the rebuilding done and when should we expect CBB to start earning his 4 million per year? Year 5, 6, 7...15...20? I mean when is enough, enough. In my opinion...we should have saw some improvement by year 4...7-6 is not acceptable. So let's give him year 5, he is gonna get it anyway. In year 5 if he goes 7-6 and loses in the Dollar General everything's a dollar or less Bowl" in Mudtown Tennessee to Slippery Rock...should we still say, well he lost this or that...he will get better in year 6 and so forth. When is enough, enough?

cuckoobird

I see something like this year, 7-6 well we have to give him one more year to get his system in place. Next year is 6-6, well we have to give him one more year because Alabama only beat us by 3 points. And so on...

beach bum

Quote from: mack on January 07, 2017, 07:42:56 pm

I wish I had a nickel for every time you guys defended a blabber mouth full of mediocrity....

cuckoobird

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on January 07, 2017, 10:49:43 pm
I wish I had a nickel for every time you guys defended a blabber mouth full of mediocrity....

If I had a nickel Everytime an Arkansas fan complained I wouldn't be on here and would own an island in the Caribbean...This game is fun...

Btw....Wisconsin fans wanted him gone after year 1 too....soooo

Jacketman65

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 07, 2017, 11:57:41 pm
If I had a nickel Everytime an Arkansas fan complained I wouldn't be on here and would own an island in the Caribbean...This game is fun...

Btw....Wisconsin fans wanted him gone after year 1 too....soooo
Soooooooooo, he is gone from Wisconsin and they are probably about where they should be, playing solid fundamental football and winning!  Where are the pigs?  We are breaking all of the wrong records if you haven't noticed!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 08, 2017, 12:48:54 am
Soooooooooo, he is gone from Wisconsin and they are probably about where they should be, playing solid fundamental football and winning!  Where are the pigs?  We are breaking all of the wrong records if you haven't noticed!

Where in my post did I say that bielema shouldn't be in the hot seat? I was making an observation...Clay Travis once called Arkansas fanbase the most bipolar in the nation...One half is ALWAYS angry and the other half is usually optimistic sunshine pumping. The petrino years showed me that when there was people wanting him gone cause he wouldn't start Tyler Wilson over Mallet...

Jacketman65

I was only making an observation or your post!  Sorry if I stepped on your toes!  Are you one of the bi-polars?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 08, 2017, 01:00:18 am
I was only making an observation or your post!  Sorry if I stepped on your toes!  Are you one of the bi-polars?

I'm one of the ones that sits back and watches everyone stress out and get their panties in a wad

Jacketman65

Me as well!  But, we do reach a point where we have to call a spade a spade!

nuttinbuthogs

Just how long is long enough?  I've heard 3 and 3--5 so when is enough time enough time?  These guys get a lot of money!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 08, 2017, 03:11:05 pm
Just how long is long enough?  I've heard 3 and 3--5 so when is enough time enough time?  These guys get a lot of money!

I'd say he should go into the 2017 season with his hotseat at about a 6 out of 10....The Hogs weren't favored going into the VA Tech game, but you can't blow a 24 point halftime lead, right after blowing a second half lead to Mizzou and not have some consequences....

mack

I agree with the 6 out of 10 on the hot seat.  By next year he needs to be in the 8-9 win category.  Then no step backward the next year, or au revoir.  He's got to develop consistency.

cuckoobird

They weren't favored because of games like mizzou. Come on man, saying they weren't favored is another poor excuse.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: AirWarren on January 06, 2017, 06:42:50 am

been 56 years for 

Jacketman65

Jacketman65

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 08, 2017, 07:14:17 pm
I'd say he should go into the 2017 season with his hotseat at about a 6 out of 10....The Hogs weren't favored going into the VA Tech game, but you can't blow a 24 point halftime lead, right after blowing a second half lead to Mizzou and not have some consequences....
No, Hot seat is - get it done or be gone!  CBB has the players that HE recruited for his system/type of game!  At this point, there are no more excuses!  Recruit bad players - cost you your job! Hire bad coaches - cost you your job!  There are no more excuses for bad football.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 09, 2017, 12:15:27 am
sure it isn't 52?
well if you count the national championship in 64 it would be, and I do count that one.

Lions84

Bottom line they got to fix this big lead at the HALF and nothing in the second and losing the game.  IE the zoo and bowl game.

Longfellow

Robb Smith to Minnesota as DC

ricepig

Quote from: Longfellow on January 09, 2017, 01:15:47 pm
Robb Smith to Minnesota as DC

I thought you said to Wake Forest last week?? Lol.

Longfellow

That's what all reports were saying. This was out of the blue

ricepig

Quote from: Longfellow on January 09, 2017, 03:25:27 pm
That's what all reports were saying. This was out of the blue

Oh, I know, and really, it wasn't. Smith and Fleck were on the staff together at Rutgers.

Longfellow

Didn't know that. I hope smith doesn't ruin Fleck's career

mack

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 09, 2017, 12:23:01 am
No, Hot seat is - get it done or be gone!  CBB has the players that HE recruited for his system/type of game!  At this point, there are no more excuses!  Recruit bad players - cost you your job! Hire bad coaches - cost you your job!  There are no more excuses for bad football.

You obviously aren't a businessman if you'd fire him after next season.

cuckoobird

It's obvious who isn't very business savvy after giving an extension for poor performance.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 07:41:12 am
It's obvious who isn't very business savvy after giving an extension for poor performance.

The extension wasn't the problem, find me a P5 coach that doesn't have 4-6 years on their contract every year, few and far between.

cuckoobird

No, an extension isn't a problem when you have earned it. Giving one because other coaches have them is just plane ridiculous. He could have given an extension with a restructured buyout. Giving the CEO of KMart an extension because the CEO at Walmart has earned one would never happen in the business world.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas