• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

best tight end in the nfl?

Started by farmtown balla, December 16, 2008, 03:13:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

farmtown balla

Q

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Q on December 16, 2008, 03:18:13 pm
Tony Gonzalez, hands down.
That would be my vote too. Gates is up there too.

SandLizard04

Gonzalez, no ifs/ands/buts.

Probably the best tight end of all time, for that matter.

RHS

Gonzalez, with Witten a clear cut second.

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

Quote from: RHS on December 16, 2008, 04:14:39 pm
Gonzalez, with Witten a clear cut second.
No doubt about it. Numbers don't lie!

razorbacks82007

whoa.pardner

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: whoa.pardner on December 16, 2008, 07:39:46 pm
Today, Witten, Gates, Gonzales.
No way Gonzales is last in those three. Witten is a great player, but Witten also benefits having a good QB and other good WRs to take some of the attention off of him. Gonzales is the best receiver that KC has and he still puts up big numbers. He is going to break 1000 yards receiving this year. He has 950 right now and 8 touch downs. Witten has 800 something and 3 touch downs. The only other guy on pass plays that defenses really have to worry about is Bowe. I would say its Gonzales, Witten, and Gates. Statistically, Gonzales is having the best year out of all the TEs on a pretty crappy team.

bigeldofan

whoa.pardner

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on December 16, 2008, 07:49:09 pm
No way Gonzales is last in those three. Witten is a great player, but Witten also benefits having a good QB and other good WRs to take some of the attention off of him. Gonzales is the best receiver that KC has and he still puts up big numbers. He is going to break 1000 yards receiving this year. He has 950 right now and 8 touch downs. Witten has 800 something and 3 touch downs. The only other guy on pass plays that defenses really have to worry about is Bowe. I would say its Gonzales, Witten, and Gates. Statistically, Gonzales is having the best year out of all the TEs on a pretty crappy team.
"No way."?  Well, that seems a tad presumptuous. :)  (Just my opinion, by the way.  I could be wrong.)

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: whoa.pardner on December 16, 2008, 08:01:40 pm
Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on December 16, 2008, 07:49:09 pm
"No way."?  Well, that seems a tad presumptuous. :)  (Just my opinion, by the way.  I could be wrong.)
I know that is your opinion. You are entitled to one obviously. I just don't see what would make you believe Witten is #1 and Gonzales is #3 when Gonzales plays and a way less talented team but still leads Witten in TDs and yards. He is a pretty good blocker, too.

stattracker

There is no question that Gonzales and Witten both are great TE's. I don't see how you can say one is better that the other. Gonzales benefited by being there first, so he has the numbers advantage. You talk about toughness, I give that to Witten hands down. I just can't get that image of him last year on SNF getting his helmet knocked off and still running for several more yards.

To me it's Gonzales and Witeen (tied for 1st) then Gates. Cooley is really having a nice career too. Shockey has fallen off the face of the earth.

Wahls

Best one? Gonzalez.

Who will have the best career? Gates or Cooley.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: stattracker on December 16, 2008, 08:17:01 pm
There is no question that Gonzales and Witten both are great TE's. I don't see how you can say one is better that the other. Gonzales benefited by being there first, so he has the numbers advantage. You talk about toughness, I give that to Witten hands down. I just can't get that image of him last year on SNF getting his helmet knocked off and still running for several more yards.

To me it's Gonzales and Witeen (tied for 1st) then Gates. Cooley is really having a nice career too. Shockey has fallen off the face of the earth.
I can accept someone saying Witten barely ahead of Gonzales, but to put Gonzales third is what I didn't understand.

whoa.pardner

Well, that's why I said "Today", because I think TG is on the backside of his career, and Gates is in his prime and is almost a WR in a TE's body, although health concerns are admittedly present,  but I certainly wouldn't argue about reversing the two on my list.  I probably said Witten, who I do think is "in the debate", as much because I'm a Cowboys fan as any other reason.

Manningfan

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: whoa.pardner on December 16, 2008, 08:48:59 pm
Well, that's why I said "Today", because I think TG is on the backside of his career, and Gates is in his prime and is almost a WR in a TE's body, although health concerns are admittedly present,  but I certainly wouldn't argue about reversing the two on my list.  I probably said Witten, who I do think is "in the debate", as much because I'm a Cowboys fan as any other reason.
Fair enough. I think Peterson is the best RB, but I am a Vikings fan so I can see where you are coming from haha.

Romeo

Winslow without the injuries would probably be number one.

whoa.pardner

Well, I"m not a Vikings fan, and he is. :(

SandLizard04

December 16, 2008, 09:59:20 pm #20 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:01:24 pm by Ramblin' Man™
Well, that's why I said "Today", because I think TG is on the backside of his career, and Gates is in his prime
Gonzalez: 84 catches, 941 yards, 8 TD
Gates: 53 catches, 612 yards, 6 TD

Other notables:
Witten: 69 catches, 815 yards, 3 TD
Cooley: 73 catches, 764 yards, 1 TD
Daniels: 60 catches, 714 yards, 2 TD
Clark: 63 catches, 684 yards, 5 TD
Carlson: 51 catches, 604 yards, 4 TD

Gonzalez is blowing away every tight end in every single category this season.

PurpleLion

whoa.pardner

Well, RM, TG is about all KC got, so not like he has to worry about his OC keeping TO, etal., happy.

Besides, if you are going to start using stuff like stats and facts, I'm calling FOUL!

stattracker

Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on December 16, 2008, 09:59:20 pm
Well, that's why I said "Today", because I think TG is on the backside of his career, and Gates is in his prime

Other notables:

How do you list Gates 2nd. By your own stats Gates should be 6th on your list. 6th on catches, 6th on yards and 2nd in TD's. It is your opinion though.

CHSBISON77

honestly i think TG and JW are about even, i think you could have them switch teams, and you would see similar numbers meaning JW would have TG stats and TG have JW's....JW's stats suffer a bit from all the big names around him, while TG gets a boost being about it...

SandLizard04

Quote from: stattracker on December 16, 2008, 10:10:30 pm

Other notables:

How do you list Gates 2nd. By your own stats Gates should be 6th on your list. 6th on catches, 6th on yards and 2nd in TD's. It is your opinion though.
I don't think Gates is 2nd this year. I was pointing out the disparities between the two, in response to the person who said Gates was better while TG is on the downside of his career.

Gates has had a horrible year this season, by his standards.

stattracker

Father Guido

Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on December 16, 2008, 11:50:29 pm
Quote from: stattracker on December 16, 2008, 10:10:30 pm

Other notables:

I don't think Gates is 2nd this year. I was pointing out the disparities between the two, in response to the person who said Gates was better while TG is on the downside of his career.

Gates has had a horrible year this season, by his standards.

It is a tribute to Gates's talent that his numbers this year are considered to be disappointing.  He has had some injury problems early in the season and has never quite seemed to hit full stride, but then it seems that that is the case with the entire San Diego team this year.

UGABall009

Antonio Gates has this pretty much hands down.

stAte fan in LR

I would agree with that.  Witten has been injured this year and had to endure Brad Johnson but he is the most complete of the TEs in the league.

xtremewildcat

Quote from: stAte fan in LR on December 17, 2008, 07:18:32 pm
I would agree with that.  Witten has been injured this year and had to endure Brad Johnson but he is the most complete of the TEs in the league.

Do you really think Witten would be that effective if he didn't have TO getting double covered and Williams and Craten drawing coverage from the other DB's. If you notice, Witten is always covered by LB's or he is not covered at all. That is why Romo checks down to him so much. Pay attention to that the next time Dallas plays. Witten is a good TE. But, he is not like a Matt Jones or Tony Gonzales who have the skills to play receiver.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Witten is also a great blocker, soemthing that Tony Gonzales is good at but not quite as good as Witten. Antonio Gates is not even considered a descent blocker. Witten and Gonzales are by far head and shoulders above the rest as far as complete players at their position is concerned.

xtremewildcat

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 18, 2008, 11:16:10 am
Witten is also a great blocker, soemthing that Tony Gonzales is good at but not quite as good as Witten. Antonio Gates is not even considered a descent blocker. Witten and Gonzales are by far head and shoulders above the rest as far as complete players at their position is concerned.

What was the deal in the Steeler game. I lost a freakin fish plate on that to a jabronie here at work.

stattracker

I lost a chance at a million dollars on ESPN streak for the cash. The dude that won it picked the Steelers that game and hit the million. I was sitting at a good number ready to get there and then bam, my life is over. Glad there is another one starting Jan. 1st.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas