• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Microsoft buys Facebook stake for $240M

Started by onegearruss, October 24, 2007, 04:30:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WBF †

onegearruss

onegearruss

They will own everything one of these days

ahoycorey

The whole reason I prefer facebook over myspace is that facebook isn't cluttered with annoying ads.
Microsoft is going to ruin that for me..
Grr..

onegearruss

facebook has changed alot the last year
and not for the good

WBF †

Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 04:51:54 pm
facebook has changed alot the last year
and not for the good
I still prefer it over Myspace, but yes, you are right.
AHHH! :(

onegearruss

i still prefer it WAY much better then myspace

ahoycorey

lol.
I actually still prefer it more too...but geez.
Microsoft isn't going to make me like it anymore.

onegearruss

WBF †

Heard they were changing it to "Miface".

HAHA jk

onegearruss

i cant see them changing the name, it has been facebook for years
but you never know what a guy with money is going to do

ahoycorey

October 24, 2007, 05:08:56 pm #13 Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:11:49 pm by ahoycorey
They only bought 1.6 percent of the stock right?
I don't think they could change the name even if they wanted to...

onegearruss

quote from the link posted above

Microsoft also will sell Internet ads for Facebook as the site expands outside the United States, broadening an existing marketing relationship that began last year.

atownpantherfan05™

Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 04:48:35 pm
They will own everything one of these days
Your not joking about that they already own xbox and now facebook now that's crazy.......but i mostly get on myspace than i do on facebook.

onegearruss

i was on myspace all the time before i got facebook, and that was because my freshman year of college not every school had it and for sure no high school or Jr high kids were on it

Lord Infamous™

Rock The Casbah

Quote from: ahoycorey on October 24, 2007, 04:50:39 pm
The whole reason I prefer facebook over myspace is that facebook isn't cluttered with annoying ads.
Microsoft is going to ruin that for me..
Grr..

yeah well ejoy that while you can bc i have started to notice more and more adds in the last 2-3 months.

It will be myspace in the next few years and myspace will become facebook they are already making myspace like facebook everyday.

But honestly i think there will probably be a new place that people go to in the next 2 or 3 years.

SandLizard04

Letting high schoolers and non-college students join made facebook ill, and the addition of applications is its terminal illness.

It needs to go back to the way it used to be, but alas, that will not happen.

At least Xanga has been faithful to me for 5 years now.

onegearruss

haha xanga, the good ole days, i havent been on there in probably a year

but i agree the apps ruined facebook, i added one of them the video one, thats it.

WBF †

Quote from: Ramblin' Man on October 24, 2007, 09:11:26 pm
Letting high schoolers and non-college students join made facebook ill, and the addition of applications is its terminal illness.

It needs to go back to the way it used to be, but alas, that will not happen.

At least Xanga has been faithful to me for 5 years now.
I used to keep up with xanga. None of my friends do it now. I kind of used to treat it like a journal. I used to love it. Guess it's old school now.

Rizzo

What ever happened to the rumor that Facebook was going to be shut down? That Zuckerberg stole the code that makes the site from two of his classmates at Harvard.

WBF †

Quote from: Jarred on October 24, 2007, 09:45:33 pm
What ever happened to the rumor that Facebook was going to be shut down? That Zuckerberg stole the code that makes the site from two of his classmates at Harvard.
I think that was all shenanigans. If not, that could be a reason he sold it? He wasn't planning on selling it for another two years.

onegearruss

I didnt hear that he stole the code from his classmates
but i did hear rumors that it was shutting down, but they were just that, Rumors !!

Rizzo

Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 09:51:42 pm
I didnt hear that he stole the code from his classmates
but i did hear rumors that it was shutting down, but they were just that, Rumors !!
Just looked it up....There have been a couple different lawsuits filed by the two that claim that he stole their source code. It's an ongoing court battle. They, however, claim that they are not seeking to shut down Facebook, just money.

onegearruss

So are they getting a cut of what he is getting from microsoft because if so, he stole it from me too

WBF †

Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 09:55:19 pm
So are they getting a cut of what he is getting from microsoft because if so, he stole it from me too
I second that.

Rizzo

He didn't sell it. He sold 1.6 percent of it, for 240 million dollars, which prorates it at about 15 billion dollars. Not bad for a 23 year old college dropout.

onegearruss

why did he only sell 1.6
that is a random share

Rizzo

Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 10:26:37 pm
why did he only sell 1.6
that is a random share
Most likely to allow Microsoft to put ads on it. Guess he decided that 240 million was worth 1.6% of his product.

onegearruss

I dont like the idea of ads at all, but if i was offered that much i would do it too

Rizzo

Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 10:33:49 pm
I dont like the idea of ads at all, but if i was offered that much i would do it too
No doubt about it. I was kind of suprised that he turned down the 1 billion dollar offer from Yahoo to buy the site. But, when he made the deal with Microsoft for 240 million, he more or less put a 15 billion price tag on the product. Seems he's looking to sell it in two years, and retire as a 25 year old.

onegearruss

Thats insane, all from a social website they made in their dorm room

Rizzo

Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 10:45:45 pm
Yep! Really makes me want to create a social networking site.

WBF †

Quote from: Jarred on October 24, 2007, 10:46:44 pm
Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 10:45:45 pm
Yep! Really makes me want to create a social networking site.
I'm the heir to the throne. If you die, put me in your will.

OR...I could just be your co-worker.   ???

onegearruss

Its just crazy that he wont have to do anything if he sells it, invest half of it, still leaves him 7.5 billion to live off of

WBF †

Quote from: onegearruss on October 24, 2007, 10:49:05 pm
Its just crazy that he wont have to do anything if he sells it, invest half of it, still leaves him 7.5 billion to live off of
That wouldn't buy much.

Sarcasm is over.

onegearruss

i could be pretty well off with 7.5  in the bank

Rizzo

I'd buy like a 10 million dollar Mega-Yacht and travel the world....Invest 2.5 billion of that remaining 5...Still leaving me rich as could be.

WBF †

onegearruss

RHS

Tobin, you're not joking about the applications. I have added a few, but not many. I hate being bitten by a vampire or a zombie.

onegearruss

AllSmiles

onegearruss

i have the video app,
and pics, notes, the ones that they give you

Rizzo

I try to keep it fairly simple as well. Videos/Yankees Faithful/Big Photo, are about the only applications I have.

Uncle Ivan

Why is this on the General Sports board?

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RHS on October 24, 2007, 11:33:55 pm
Tobin, you're not joking about the applications. I have added a few, but not many. I hate being bitten by a vampire or a zombie.
No joke. I hate that crap. I will have one of those zombie or vampire invites almost everytime I log on. It is usually the same people trying to invite me every time. They don't understand I keep ignoring it I guess.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas