• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#11 AP Poll

Started by Indiana Jones, October 03, 2010, 01:44:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Jones

http://sports.ap.org/college-football/poll/ap

the game in 13 days at Auburn could be a top ten matchup

AT

Thats alot higher than I expected...

Eddie Goodson

Said last night that the Hogs should be ranked ahead of Fla and LSU. Good to see it is so.

wynneaholic©

ESPN is in dissaray today!!  They have already crowned florida national champions and they got blasted yesterday.  I have said all year florida was so over rated it was sickening.  Alabama shamed them yesterday and now espn is completely lost that their messiah team went  down hard!!

SingleWingGuru

Ignore ESPN....

The problem now is that the Razorbacks are "hog tied" unless Bama starts losing.  Arkansas' showing against Alabama was good enough that if Alabama faltered and UofA won the SECCG that the pollsters would jump on board in a hearbeat.

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 03, 2010, 02:41:13 pm
Ignore ESPN....

The problem now is that the Razorbacks are "hog tied" unless Bama starts losing.  Arkansas' showing against Alabama was good enough that if Alabama faltered and UofA won the SECCG that the pollsters would jump on board in a hearbeat.

Yeah, we went out to dinner last night and there were some Hog fans pulling for Bama to beat UF. I understand that it makes the Hogs look really good for Bama to drill everyone the rest of the season, but I'm in the camp that wants Bama to lose 2 really, really close SEC games to solid opponents and for Arkansas to win out. That way we would win the SEC West and go to the SECCG and have a chance to hammer a UF or USCeast and possibly get a chance at the Nat. title.

Indiana Jones

Ignore ESPN....

Quote from: PIGSKIN JUNKIE on October 03, 2010, 03:07:23 pm
Ignore ESPN....

Yeah, we went out to dinner last night and there were some Hog fans pulling for Bama to beat UF. I understand that it makes the Hogs look really good for Bama to drill everyone the rest of the season, but I'm in the camp that wants Bama to lose 2 really, really close SEC games to solid opponents and for Arkansas to win out. That way we would win the SEC West and go to the SECCG and have a chance to hammer a UF or USCeast and possibly get a chance at the Nat. title.
we could  win out and still  go to the BCS title game
of course we'd needs  tOSUcks  Oregon OU and Nebraska to lose   big

but an Arkansas/Bama  national title game isn't   out  of the question

HA_Fan

Quote from: Indiana Jones on October 03, 2010, 03:31:58 pm
but an Arkansas/Bama  national title game isn't   out  of the question

Yes it is.

There's no way in the world that 2 teams from the same division of the same conference are going to play in the national championship game.  No way at all.

SingleWingGuru

I have officially read something so stupid I put someone on ignore.

I've been here for five years, this is a first, that's how bad the post is. Jesus.

Eddie Goodson

October 03, 2010, 04:43:53 pm #9 Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:45:55 pm by Eddie Goodson
It might be highly unlikely, but it is NOT impossible. It could happen. A lot would have to happen but it COULD happen. It was thought impossible for LSU to lose two games and make it the the BCS title game, but they did. Throwing out the words impossible or not possible is just not true. It could happen.

You let the Hogs finish the season at 11-1 and Alabama finish at 13-0 and the BCS would have a situation on its hands.

powerlifter90

A team that doesn't make its own ccg will NEVER play for the national championship.  It has happened a couple times the biggest joke being NU in '01.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: BUGEATERS on October 03, 2010, 04:46:19 pm
A team that doesn't make its own ccg will NEVER play for the national championship.  It has happened a couple times the biggest joke being NU in '01.
You say never and turn around and say it has happened.

Indiana Jones

FU(12) still ahead of us(13) in coaches poll

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

::)::)::)
doesn't matter right now but     still that  is  stupid

powerlifter90

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 03, 2010, 04:49:32 pm
Quote from: BUGEATERS on October 03, 2010, 04:46:19 pm
You say never and turn around and say it has happened.

It won't happen AGAIN because of those instances

The Snowman

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 03, 2010, 04:43:53 pm
It might be highly unlikely, but it is NOT impossible. It could happen. A lot would have to happen but it COULD happen. It was thought impossible for LSU to lose two games and make it the the BCS title game, but they did. Throwing out the words impossible or not possible is just not true. It could happen.

You let the Hogs finish the season at 11-1 and Alabama finish at 13-0 and the BCS would have a situation on its hands.
Won't happen because people don't want to see a rematch for the national champ.  Seems like that situation happened before with Michigan and Ohio St.

Perfexion

I'm for the Ducks running the table and messing with Boise's destiny.

gatecrasher

Ducks will run the table. I don't see them losing in the Pac 10.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: gatecrasher on October 03, 2010, 10:42:03 pm

I wouldn't say that. They were down 18 to Stanford. I know they came back, but being at home helped a lot. I think if Oregon is playing that game at Stanford and they are down 18, that crowd would have killed any chance Oregon had of coming back.

They still have @USC, Arizona at home, and @Oregon State which is a huge rivalry.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on October 04, 2010, 08:51:45 am
Quote from: gatecrasher on October 03, 2010, 10:42:03 pm

I wouldn't say that. They were down 18 to Stanford. I know they came back, but being at home helped a lot. I think if Oregon is playing that game at Stanford and they are down 18, that crowd would have killed any chance Oregon had of coming back.

They still have @USC, Arizona at home, and @Oregon State which is a huge rivalry.

+1 I totally agree with that sir. I know people aren't that big on Boise but I don't think they should have jumped Boise either. It seems like Oregon goes through this every year..they put up big numbers against pac-10 opponents, but when they play someone out of their conference that matches up with them they don't seem to ever pull it out. Plus Boise has beaten this Oregon team the last two years..I bet if Boise played them again this year they would make it three in a row.

HA_Fan

Unless every other team in Division 1 has 3 losses or more, that situation would be Alabama vs. Any team from any other conference.

They're not going to put 2 teams from the same division of the same conference in the national championship game.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: HA_Fan™ on October 04, 2010, 12:13:54 pm

Unless every other team in Division 1 has 3 losses or more, that situation would be Alabama vs. Any team from any other conference.

They're not going to put 2 teams from the same division of the same conference in the national championship game.
It would not have to be nearly that severe. If everyone ahead of the Hogs was to lose, and the Hogs win out, it is a very good chance the Hogs could rise to the #2 ranking. The Strength of Schedule for the Hogs would jump them over several teams too. It's not about who they would or would not let in the game. It's who finishes #2 in the final BCS ranking and it is possible it could happen. Ideally, I would like to see Boise go undefeated and Hogs jump them for the #2 slot. That would wreck the BCS and get the Hogs in the BCS title game. A 2 for 1 deal.

HA_Fan

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 04, 2010, 03:11:46 pmThat would wreck the BCS and get the Hogs in the BCS title game. A 2 for 1 deal.

Anything that would wreck the BCS sounds good to me.

Personally, I'd like to see Bama, Boise, TCU, Oregon, Nebraska and OSU all run the table. 

SingleWingGuru

If there is one thing for sure....

I, you, no one--- can predict the outcome of an a-sequential mathematical equation with 32 varying factors that changes every week.

The BCS sucks because it is like getting a grade in the class, but the teacher won't give you a rubric to see how the grading even works.

We know what some of the things that factor into it are, but how they factor into it, how much, and how the variables are defined... we are completely in the dark about.

RHS

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on October 04, 2010, 09:47:49 amPlus Boise has beaten this Oregon team the last two years..I bet if Boise played them again this year they would make it three in a row.

No, they beat 2 previous Oregon teams, not this one.

fastdrop

Quote from: HA_Fan™ on October 04, 2010, 04:01:26 pm
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 04, 2010, 03:11:46 pmThat would wreck the BCS and get the Hogs in the BCS title game. A 2 for 1 deal.

Anything that would wreck the BCS sounds good to me.

Personally, I'd like to see Bama, Boise, TCU, Oregon, Nebraska and OSU all run the table. 
Now that would be a hoot.....

hhsbobcats

boise state doesn't have ian johnson anymore!!!!!  or ryan clady!!

J.D.

Boise State is better than tOSU btw.  Oklahoma and Nebraska will all drop a game sooner or later.  I Personally cannot see Alabama dropping a game this year.  TCU and Boise will probably wind up playing each other again.  WHICH I HATE.  I think if these teams make a BCS bowl then stick them up against competition to where at least they can prove themselves. 

Ex-HAplayer

So if they beat two of the previous teams with massolli and the same prolific offense than im sure they could do it a third time ..just saying.

AB™

Quote from: Naylor4Life on October 05, 2010, 06:53:37 pm
Boise State is better than tOSU btw.

Oh yeah?  I'm hoping by tOSU you mean Oregon St. since Boise actually played them and beat them. 

If not, then isn't a little foolish to so boldly claim a team is better than another team with such certainty even though the two teams haven't played?

Wahls

I'd love to see a TCU vs. Boise National Championship. Not because they deserve it, because they could win out and not deserve it, but because I want a 12 team playoff.

fastdrop

If they are undefeated. How can anybody say they do not have the best team in the nation?

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: fastdrop on October 06, 2010, 01:42:02 pm
If they are undefeated. How can anybody say they do not have the best team in the nation?

Because no one cares about what the kids on the field do, with what they are given.

Everyone cares about what the kids do on the field with the schedule their A.D. gives them, and it makes me sick.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 06, 2010, 02:36:41 pm

Because no one cares about what the kids on the field do, with what they are given.

Everyone cares about what the kids do on the field with the schedule their A.D. gives them, and it makes me sick.
I see what you are saying, but it is still hard to make a claim without doubt that Boise or TCU are the best team in the nation if they go undefeated and play each other, and an SEC or Big 10 team lose 1 game. Alabama could lose 1 game this year and not play for the national title, but it doesn't mean they aren't the best team in the nation. They just had to play 6 or 7 different top 25 teams, while Boise had to play 2.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on October 06, 2010, 02:41:43 pmI see what you are saying, but it is still hard to make a claim without doubt that Boise or TCU are the best team in the nation if they go undefeated...

I'm not the one claiming they are the best team in the nation.

All I hope for is that these teams make it to the BCS title game because I think it will aid in the BCS demise.

I did not think that the Hawaii team that got blown out to Georgia was the best team in the nation either, but they had done everything that had been asked of them over the course of the entire season and were not given the opportunity to prove whether or not they belong.

Before anyone goes and says that the Georgia game proved they didn't belong, I ask, how can the Georgia game---which was an UNDERSELL for the Warriors and an OVERSELL for Georgia be considered a reasoning for something that happened before the game even happened?

Everyone who does what they should on the field has a right to play for the national championship.  Or at least be in a situation where they CAN win it.

fastdrop

A national championship has never in my mind meant the best team in the country.

The truest National  College Champion in all of sports = Baseball

Basketball has a play-off but it is a one and done deal ...... with the best team sometimes going home because of a bad day.

Wahls

Because, I believe that a college football season spans more than two weeks, and that a body of work is actually important. Shocker.

I believe you should have to bring it every single game just like everyone else, and take care of business throughout the entire year, not stack your schedule in the beginning of the year with a team that is a notorious slow starter, and beat up on the San Diego States, and Utah State's of the world for 7 weeks. That doesn't necessarily make you a good team.

If Boise or TCU make it, it is a slap in the face to the other teams that challenged themselves throughout the season and slipped up one time. You want to talk about things that are sickening, if a 1 loss Alabama is left at home for the likes of Boise after their gauntlet of a schedule this year. THAT would be sickening. I'm not saying Boise isn't talented enough, they might be, but they should actually earn something, not have the media hand it over on a silver platter. Bama will play more top 25 teams this year than Boise has played in the last 3 or 4. That's not right.

Those two (Boise and TCU) are sort of like the resource kids at school that take the color coded tests (the ones where they don't tell you what the answer is, they just highlight them). It's not because they don't know English or they have a mental problem, they're perfectly capable, but they want the same amount of respect for their awesome GPA for about a quarter of the work. It's not right.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on October 06, 2010, 04:12:56 pm
If Boise or TCU make it, it is a slap in the face to the other teams that challenged themselves throughout the season and slipped up one time.

Not a single player on any of those teams has a single word of input in the schedule.  Some of the players were in 5th or 6th grade when those games were even scheduled by the AD, that may not even be there anymore.

I think a big playoff would ruin some of the allure of the regular season, but a little playoff is necessary.  It is necessary to allow the kids who have controlled their own destiny to prove whether or not they deserve to be in the picture with those who faltered in their own destiny a little or had superior schedules (made by an AD, NOT THEM).

Wahls

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 06, 2010, 04:21:01 pm
Not a single player on any of those teams has a single word of input in the schedule.  Some of the players were in 5th or 6th grade when those games were even scheduled by the AD, that may not even be there anymore.

Why should they be entitled to something they didn't earn?

(Their best win was beaten by a D2 team. If they make the National Championship the BCS is RUINED.)

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on October 06, 2010, 04:23:44 pm
Why should they be entitled to something they didn't earn?

If you are making them play their way to a National Championship, it is no longer entitlement.

If I graduate from a crappy ghetto high school, but have a 4.0 GPA, should I be automatically declined from all application processes to nice schools?  Or should I be allowed to take the ACT/SAT to gauge where I actually sit.   I had little control over how bad my teacher/school was.  I chose it because it was the only logical decision for me at the time.

I'm not asking for anyone to play in the National Championship because of computer rankings, a 32 a-sequential mathematical equation, or the poll of a secretary in the AD's office (the coaches hardly EVER touch those things).

I'm asking for it to be solved on the field of play.  Something the AD's won't do scheduling wise, and the presidents won't do because of the bowl system revenue.

OF COURSE THE BCS SHOULD BE RUINED! LoL.  It is inferior, subjective, secretive, and based only loosely in who the actual best team is!

Wahls

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 06, 2010, 04:30:23 pmIf you are making them play their way to a National Championship, it is no longer entitlement.

I'm confused on this one so I'm responding two different ways:

If you are referring to a playoff I would agree. If they went through a playoff and won, I would certainly recognize them as the National Champs.

If you are calling the schedule they have now playing to a National Championshop, I'm going to have to ask you the last team to make it to a National Championship with a schedule as weak as theirs.

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 06, 2010, 04:30:23 pm
If I graduate from a crappy ghetto high school, but have a 4.0 GPA, should I be automatically declined from all application processes to nice schools?  Or should I be allowed to take the ACT/SAT to gauge where I actually sit.   I had little control over how bad my teacher/school was.  I chose it because it was the only logical decision for me at the time.

The ACT is used for that very reason due to difference in schools. There are ACT test prep packages that help tremendously that tell you what to cover. They don't artificially inflate your ACT score if you come from a bad school, so no, I don't think Boise should have their ranking inflated the same way.

I'm asking for it to be solved on the field of play.  Something the AD's won't do scheduling wise, and the presidents won't do because of the bowl system revenue.

See, that's my problem with the BCS. The rankings are nothing but perception with only partial regard to reality.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on October 06, 2010, 04:47:44 pm
Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 06, 2010, 04:30:23 pmIf you are making them play their way to a National Championship, it is no longer entitlement.

If you are referring to a playoff I would agree. If they went through a playoff and won, I would certainly recognize them as the National Champs.

If you are calling the schedule they have now playing to a National Championshop, I'm going to have to ask you the last team to make it to a National Championship with a schedule as weak as theirs.

The ACT is used for that very reason due to difference in schools. There are ACT test prep packages that help tremendously that tell you what to cover. They don't artificially inflate your ACT score if you come from a bad school, so no, I don't think Boise should have their ranking inflated the same way.

See, that's my problem with the BCS. The rankings are nothing but perception with only partial regard to reality.
Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on October 06, 2010, 04:47:44 pm

I think I'm beginning to put it together a little bit.

We:

1.  Agree that the SOS of BSU is not comparable to that of the top tier schools.
2.  Agree a playoff would be a good determiner of an NC and remove the SOS problem from being such a big deal.
3.  Agree the BCS reasoning is inferior and stupid.
4.  Don't want a team like BSU in the NC because it would be at the cost of someone who played a tougher schedule.

WE disagree ( or so I think ):

1.  BSU playing in a NC game would be the ultimate demise of the BCS and is a necessary evil to get the ball rolling to get change made.

Eddie Goodson

Fastdrop is dead on with the NCAA baseball being the best at determining a true national champion in a sport. I would love to see MLB exactly copy it. It would be fun to watch.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 06, 2010, 05:10:37 pm
Fastdrop is dead on with the NCAA baseball being the best at determining a true national champion in a sport. I would love to see MLB exactly copy it. It would be fun to watch.

It is great.  I just wished football could be played at the same frequency as basketball/baseball so it could happen that way.

rsvl_hogfan4

Are you talking about the 8 team double elimination tournament in Omaha? The entire tournament would be impossible to duplicate because there aren't enough teams.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 06, 2010, 05:13:06 pm

It is great.  I just wished football could be played at the same frequency as basketball/baseball so it could happen that way.
Football is in a Catch 22. Shorten the season to allow for a playoff or keep it as is. December finals simply won't allow for a month of football. The MOST we can ever reasonably expect them to do is a four team plus one game scenario. I want eight teams, but just don't see that it is possible to have teams playing 16+ games in a year. 15 will already be too many IMO.

SingleWingGuru

I, personally think the D2 system is the best of both the BCS and the playoff format.

powerlifter90

Quote from: fastdrop on October 06, 2010, 04:11:48 pm
A national championship has never in my mind meant the best team in the country.

The truest National  College Champion in all of sports = Baseball

Basketball has a play-off but it is a one and done deal ...... with the best team sometimes going home because of a bad day.

I'm thinking back and in very few instances did I feel that the team that won the National Championship was the best team in college football, just the team that won the NCG.  It seems to me that since the BCS started we have had more and more doubt about who was actually the best team. 

Wahls

October 06, 2010, 09:31:26 pm #47 Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:33:42 pm by Showband of Arkansas
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 06, 2010, 05:19:28 pm

Football is in a Catch 22. Shorten the season to allow for a playoff or keep it as is. December finals simply won't allow for a month of football. The MOST we can ever reasonably expect them to do is a four team plus one game scenario. I want eight teams, but just don't see that it is possible to have teams playing 16+ games in a year. 15 will already be too many IMO.

Then why don't they move it into January? You're adding 5 weekends of football, which would start during the bowl season, continue, then have a two break for finals, then do the championship.

Edit: Or you could do two weekends in December, take a two week break, round of 8, final four, then championship in January. It wouldn't be lengthening it that much.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on October 06, 2010, 09:31:26 pm

Then why don't they move it into January? You're adding 5 weekends of football, which would start during the bowl season, continue, then have a two break for finals, then do the championship.

Edit: Or you could do two weekends in December, take a two week break, round of 8, final four, then championship in January. It wouldn't be lengthening it that much.

1st week of Dec, ccg

two week break for finals
then start a 16 team (BCS rankings) playoff with the top ranked team at home
ncg played in one of the sites used now

EVERYONE else plays in the bowls just like they are now

redwolf143

Quote from: BUGEATERS on October 07, 2010, 07:06:14 am
Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on October 06, 2010, 09:31:26 pm

1st week of Dec, ccg

two week break for finals
then start a 16 team (BCS rankings) playoff with the top ranked team at home
ncg played in one of the sites used now

EVERYONE else plays in the bowls just like they are now

Why does that seem so simple?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas