• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Midland Baseball

Started by Mustang Fan, July 01, 2015, 08:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang Fan

The Midland baseball head coach / football assistant is open. Anyone interested contact Coach Pugh at Midland High School.

followme

Man y'all sure go through the coaches there. What's the deal? No good applicants or is it a hard place to work?

Mustang Fan

Had the same coach for 30 years(only ever).  The next year football coach filled in as interim.  Last year hire resigned couple days ago.  Not sure where you going with this comment.

followme

Where I'm going? How many basketball coaches have been through there since McKinney? Of those, how many were supposed to coach baseball? Had AT LEAST three different girls coaches since McKinney left. Branscum was fine coach and has been hard to replace. Seems like the same can be said of McKinney. Point is that there have been SEVERAL coaches in and out of Midland over the past 4-5 years. Lot of good kids there I know. Was just wondering why it's been so hard to find more stability in coaching. That's all.

Mustang Fan

I agree with some what you are saying. McKinney is a coach that is hard to replace. One of the best in his day. Only been 2 different girls coaches and the second is still there. First one no longer coaching basketball. As far as boys basketball there was 2 hires that no longer coaching basketball as well.  Finally trying to do right thing and hire a baseball coach not hire a basketball and give him baseball.

followme

As a Mustang fan - have you heard any names being dropped for this position? Someone you'd like to see get it? They deserve a good person in my opinion.

Mustang Fan

No not yet not sure it's been known about former coach just resigned Tuesday. Would like to see a hire of proven coach. All 9 starters back from last year and a talented group of freshman coming up. Excited for next season on the diamond. Hopefully we can get a good leader for this talented group of boys.

JV policy 14

A lot of proven coaches going to 1a midland?

lilmomma0324

ab24

After this coming year they go back down to 1A in everything except football

JV policy 14

lilmomma0324

Pardon me....I was just commenting to the fact that Midland is currently 2A. Wasn't trying to start a war. 

RedWolf275

Pretty sure if you have football you have to be 2a in all sports. Bay is the largest 1a school next cycle and several schools with smaller enrollment are 2a because they have football.

ab24

AAA changed it. After this coming year, it goes by your numbers. If you have 1A numbers and have football, you will be 1A in everything but football. This is a new change

RedWolf275

Thanks for that info ab24. I've always wondered why having football should force a team up a class in other sports.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ab24 on July 07, 2015, 03:45:42 pm
AAA changed it. After this coming year, it goes by your numbers. If you have 1A numbers and have football, you will be 1A in everything but football. This is a new change

It's a "new" change back to how things were pre-2006.

RedWolf275

And a good change in my opinion. Should improve class 1A basketball competition.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: RedWolf275 on July 08, 2015, 08:26:42 am
And a good change in my opinion. Should improve class 1A basketball competition.

Time will tell.  You also have some schools that have been 2A for years that will drop down into 1A in basketball & spring sports.  The other facet of this change is that there will be "mixed classification" conferences for regular season play in b-ball & spring sports.  7A will only play 7A, but 6A/5A, 4A/3A and 2A/1A will be combined with geographical concerns taken into account.  They will then return to their own classification for postseason play.  And then the cherry on top:  the coaches will meet to decide seeding for conference tournaments (since some teams will not have played each other all season prior to tournament).

Should be interesting!!!  Seems like a perfect environment for.....disagreements.  BAD BLOOD could be aplenty just in time for conference tournament action.

RedWolf275

I don't care for this mess at all. Old conferences are gone. Only a subjectively seeded district tournament. This took some real thought to come up with this.

Mustang Fan

Believe the reason behind all of this was for travel throughout the season. Then 1a and 2a seperated for district tournament. I would like to see a conference tournament in there also.

2aball

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on July 08, 2015, 12:58:06 pm
Quote from: RedWolf275 on July 08, 2015, 08:26:42 am

Time will tell.  You also have some schools that have been 2A for years that will drop down into 1A in basketball & spring sports.  The other facet of this change is that there will be "mixed classification" conferences for regular season play in b-ball & spring sports.  7A will only play 7A, but 6A/5A, 4A/3A and 2A/1A will be combined with geographical concerns taken into account.  They will then return to their own classification for postseason play.  And then the cherry on top:  the coaches will meet to decide seeding for conference tournaments (since some teams will not have played each other all season prior to tournament).

Should be interesting!!!  Seems like a perfect environment for.....disagreements.  BAD BLOOD could be aplenty just in time for conference tournament action.

That sounds horrible

followme

Not to be an ole party pooper but can we get back on topic here? Have there been any potential candidates for this job? It's kinda late isn't it?

Mustang Fan

Yea it is really late there has been a couple call interested. Not sure who or any info yet.  Job is suppose to be posted tomorrow on AAA website.

followme

What news from the north? Any updates for coach?

Mustang Fan

There has been couple interviews this week. Hopefully make a hire at the board meeting Monday night.

dirtbagger

Has Midland hired a baseball coach?

Mustang Fan

ballmember

Saying doing it for travel is just a smokescreen;   Augusta in 2016 will be going to Shirley, Rural Special and Timbo; as will Midland.  And that sure helps travel!!!  They did it for the big schools , which is always the case; example to benefit Mtn Home travel.   To heck with the small schools, is their opinion. 

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: ballmember on July 26, 2015, 02:55:27 pm
Saying doing it for travel is just a smokescreen;   Augusta in 2016 will be going to Shirley, Rural Special and Timbo; as will Midland.  And that sure helps travel!!!  They did it for the big schools , which is always the case; example to benefit Mtn Home travel.   To heck with the small schools, is their opinion.

****SORRY TO BE OFF-TOPIC****

The regular season will consist of an "area" conference with mixed classifications.  The published conferences you are referring to are for "postseason play" only.  Here is the actual verbage from the AAA re: regular season play and postseason play.

Wording from the proposal in "Basketball, Baseball & Softball" section:

Classifications will be assigned to districts for regular season play as follows:
7A ‐ will consist of 7A schools only
6A & 5A ‐ will combine conferences into districts with no more than ten teams per district.
4A & 3A ‐ will combine conferences into districts with no more than ten teams per district.
2A & 1A ‐ will combine conferences into districts with no more than ten teams per district.

Each district shall play a double round‐robin schedule. After district play, 6A, 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A teams will return to their conference to participate in a conference tournament. Coaches from each assigned conference will meet to seed teams in the conference tournament.

Mustang Fan

Midland hires Coach Roark. Believe he is originally from Cave City.

Mustang Fan

Quote from: JV policy 14 on July 02, 2015, 08:37:48 pm
A lot of proven coaches going to 1a midland?

If this is a question. The answer is YES they do!!

followme

Yes, they do. It's a great little school. Fantastic people and kids. They travel WELL to support their kids.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas