• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's about time.

Started by MHFan23, June 19, 2015, 06:03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MHFan23

Bomber_Believer

Couldnt be happier.  Hope the new Super doesnt screw up the hire and go with someone in the Good Ole Boy network.  Some new blood from outside the district would be great.

MHFAN

No excuses now!  Good old boys out, new coach, and AD gone.  New conference doesn't look much more favorable although good to get 7A schools off.  Of course it won't take place for another year.  Some talent coming up from Sophomores.  Will it help this year?  Can't hurt, right.  New coach seems to be reaching out some to community now.  A step in right direction and hope we get the monkey off back week one with Harison.

Just starting a rumor, but would love to get Patrick back as AD.  Any chance of that?

B2 Stealth Bomber

Quote from: MHFAN on June 24, 2015, 02:16:33 pm
No excuses now!  Good old boys out, new coach, and AD gone.  New conference doesn't look much more favorable although good to get 7A schools off.  Of course it won't take place for another year.  Some talent coming up from Sophomores.  Will it help this year?  Can't hurt, right.  New coach seems to be reaching out some to community now.  A step in right direction and hope we get the monkey off back week one with Harison.

Just starting a rumor, but would love to get Patrick back as AD.  Any chance of that?

Why? Do we have any indication he would be up to the task?  Not slamming him just curious why you think he could do that job?

MHFAN

don't have a clue if he would be up for the task.  I do think he would do a great job as AD though.  Good administrative skills and a true love for athletics, kids, mostly football.  He is a class act!  I would be suprised to see him apply but just expressing my thoughts. More likely it will probably be someone on the payrol now.

B2 Stealth Bomber

Quote from: MHFAN on June 25, 2015, 10:30:47 am
don't have a clue if he would be up for the task.  I do think he would do a great job as AD though.  Good administrative skills and a true love for athletics, kids, mostly football.  He is a class act!  I would be suprised to see him apply but just expressing my thoughts. More likely it will probably be someone on the payrol now.

I really hope that they go outside.  However, whoever it is better be fully aware of the situation they are getting into. 

MHFAN

A new start would be nice.  Time will tell

Mainiac

I'm sure they will consider internal candidates, but an outsider might have more of a chance at success.  It would be nice to have someone with a demonstrated ability to do the job successfully.  An outsider won't "know" what they can and "can't" do here.  Whoever it is, I hope they do an honest assessment of the facilities, equipment, personnel, policies and practices and develop their own strategic plan for developing young men and women.

I'm glad they kept as many of the sophomores as they did.  Numbers never hurt.  I don't think they will contribute much this year though.  They are just sophomores.  You never know though and I would love to see them do great things.  I just don't expect that.  I think most only expect them to work hard at getting better and to compete if they get an opportunity.

sevenof400

Wood isn't the problem in Mountain Home.

MDXPHD

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 29, 2015, 10:35:35 am

Is it just being Mountain Home the problem?

ricepig

Quote from: MDXPHD on June 29, 2015, 11:08:57 am

He's probably just saying it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's, but a good AD can help foster the right attitude across campus and the community. That in turn can help with  the development of the kids.

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2015, 11:15:12 am

He's probably just saying it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's, but a good AD can help foster the right attitude across campus and the community. That in turn can help with  the development of the kids.

I was alluding to the location as an issue (including travel requirements) and the size of the school being problems no AD can control or change.

I still say the best solution for Mountain Home is to divide their district in half and play as two 4A schools.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 29, 2015, 05:18:40 pm

I was alluding to the location as an issue (including travel requirements) and the size of the school being problems no AD can control or change.

I still say the best solution for Mountain Home is to divide their district in half and play as two 4A schools.

Travel isn't their problem, or it isn't the reason for lack of success recently.

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2015, 05:29:03 pm

Travel isn't their problem, or it isn't the reason for lack of success recently.

You state that as if Mountain Home has only one problem - while it may not be the main problem, the travel burden for Mountain Home is a considerable one. 

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 29, 2015, 06:03:28 pm
Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2015, 05:29:03 pm

You state that as if Mountain Home has only one problem - while it may not be the main problem, the travel burden for Mountain Home is a considerable one.

So, you live up there and know first hand? How many times has your school played them and you've interacted with their fans about it?

sevenof400

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 29, 2015, 07:22:08 pm
Every year, Ricepig.

And the only time travel has been a big issue is when they are losing. They aren't going to split into 2 schools, makes no sense, and with the new 6A/5A blended conferences, it will be somewhat better.

Bomber_Believer

Travel is not the major issue for us that it is for the teams that come here.  It has less to do with our struggles as the AD did.  She made some very questionable hires, and did not have anyone keeping her in check.  She really needed to go so things can hopefully begin to get moving in the right direction.  If the new Super goes with someone outside the district it will help tremendously.  Only time will tell.

sevenof400

Quote from: Bomber_Believer on June 29, 2015, 09:58:50 pm
Travel is not the major issue for us that it is for the teams that come here.  It has less to do with our struggles as the AD did.  She made some very questionable hires, and did not have anyone keeping her in check.  She really needed to go so things can hopefully begin to get moving in the right direction.  If the new Super goes with someone outside the district it will help tremendously.  Only time will tell.

Since it is slow around here for now, let's run with this a bit. 

Forward: I do not know the (now former) AD.

• MH sits near the bottom of the current 6A schools in terms of attendance and their attendance number was nearly identical in the last two cycles - 925 vs 926.33.  MH is about 30% smaller than the largest 6A school (West Memphis).  Apparently, there is no student growth (at present anyway) in MH.
  • The travel issue certainly prevents (perhaps better stated as minimizing) the likelihood of students playing multiple sports at the same time and/or playing sports in consecutive seasons.  Some of the athletes I have talked to over the years pretty much said they deal with the travel but they also said it does wear on them. I understand Bomber_Believer's point that travel isn't the main issue, but it is a significant factor in the challenging environment MH is in.
  • Let's also remember these athletes are students too.
  • For as much as we discuss the travel effect on the students, the parents this issue as well - and perhaps, it is even tougher on them to travel and drive after working a full day

And I haven't said anything about the quality of life in MH - heck, I'm jealous of what y'all have up there.  The proximity to the lake has to be another factor that draws some time away from athletes - time that could be spent in training. 

All I am saying here is that you could find the best AD in the country, place them in MH and they are going to have a very tough time given the factors listed above.  Any objective assessment of the working (coaching) environment in MH would likely show that MH is among the most challenging places to coach in this state. 

I wish y'all some good fortune Bomber_Believer and I understand the desire for change (we need it here too).   

ricepig

Yeah, shortage of Jimmy and Joe's, like I said earlier. Some will say, "well, look at Greenwood," Greenwood has the benefit of being near the third/fourth?? largest city in the state. They don't necessarily have to get a direct transfer, as much as a family moving and choosing to live close, but not in Ft. Smith. Jonesboro is the benefactor of move-ins/transfers, just do to size and employment possibilities. Mt. Home doesn't have the size to draw in large numbers, unless you're talking about snowbirds.

rpr

Actually I think splitting into two schools makes quite a bit of sense. Perhaps not two 4a's but a 4a and 2a with only enough changes in physical plant and administration to make the creation of two schools possible. Football played at the 4a school. Travel problems go away and participation doubles in all other sports.

MHFAN

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 30, 2015, 08:41:15 am
Quote from: Bomber_Believer on June 29, 2015, 09:58:50 pm
Good overall summary.  A great place to live and would not trade for any other.  The conference change will be helpful and should come at a time when we have a good class of atheletes coming through the ranks.  With that being said I would expect a year or two at 500 or so then back to 1 to 3 victories per year for a while.  A new athletic director will make very little difference but is certainly welcomed by many.

Since it is slow around here for now, let's run with this a bit. 

Forward: I do not know the (now former) AD.

• MH sits near the bottom of the current 6A schools in terms of attendance and their attendance number was nearly identical in the last two cycles - 925 vs 926.33.  MH is about 30% smaller than the largest 6A school (West Memphis).  Apparently, there is no student growth (at present anyway) in MH.
  • The travel issue certainly prevents (perhaps better stated as minimizing) the likelihood of students playing multiple sports at the same time and/or playing sports in consecutive seasons.  Some of the athletes I have talked to over the years pretty much said they deal with the travel but they also said it does wear on them. I understand Bomber_Believer's point that travel isn't the main issue, but it is a significant factor in the challenging environment MH is in.
  • Let's also remember these athletes are students too.
  • For as much as we discuss the travel effect on the students, the parents this issue as well - and perhaps, it is even tougher on them to travel and drive after working a full day

And I haven't said anything about the quality of life in MH - heck, I'm jealous of what y'all have up there.  The proximity to the lake has to be another factor that draws some time away from athletes - time that could be spent in training. 

All I am saying here is that you could find the best AD in the country, place them in MH and they are going to have a very tough time given the factors listed above.  Any objective assessment of the working (coaching) environment in MH would likely show that MH is among the most challenging places to coach in this state. 

I wish y'all some good fortune Bomber_Believer and I understand the desire for change (we need it here too).

ricepig

So, Mitch Husky the basketball coach got the job, what's the thoughts? I always thought he did a good job with the talent he had to work with, I assume he's doing both?

B2 Stealth Bomber

I think he was a good choice.  He did seem to get a lot out of the boys.  I have not heard if he will be doing both jobs. 

Side note keep him in your prayers, his father passed away earlier this week.  If you have been around Mountain Home Athletics at all you know that Mickey was a big part especially the American Legion Program. 

MHFAN

A great choice!  Good character, administrative skills, motivator, and understands what he is taking over.  He will challenge and improve all sports in MH just as he did in Basketball.  Never seen a coach get more out of his kids.  Also have not met a parent of former or current  basketball player who had anything negative to say about him.

His father would be proud!

Bomber_Believer

It's unlikely that he will do both.  I know he did alot more with alot less as the boys basketball coach.  I hope he will do well with the AD position and wont focus on one sport and ignore the rest.  His dad was one of the biggest supporters of all things athletics and I know he would have been extremely proud.  He will be missed by everyone in town. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas