• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your team's first game

Started by PA Dad, June 11, 2015, 08:48:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

June 11, 2015, 08:48:01 pm Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:57:27 pm by PA Dad
I know that we are three months from the kick off of the first game, but I am ready to talk some football! Since we are already doing a fan poll, let's talk about the first game.

Tell us what you know about the opposing team, your team, and who you think will win.

PA starts with Highland Park in Dallas. HP is in the 6A class in Texas, which is their highest classification.
I can't find much on the Internet about HP this year. But, HP is a perennial contender in Texas. They have not lost a game at home since 1998. Their home game winning streak is approaching 90 games. PA opened with them last year and lost by a touchdown.  HP has a stadium which I estimate will seat  about 8000 to 10,000. They have tremendous support at their home games. Last year, I would say they had more than 100 players on their team. They are well coached and run a pro style offense.  They may be PA's toughest opponent of the year.

PA lost a number of good players.  Will Hefley(quarterback) and Will Hastings(wide receiver) accounted for about 30% of the PA offense last year, and both graduated. Myles Fells transferred to a public school. He was our best running back last year. We lost our best defensive player, linebacker Reid Rickenbach.

But, all but one of an outstanding offensive line returns this year. We have good prospects at running back and quarterback. My biggest concern is our defense – I simply do not know how good they will be this year.

I have great confidence in Coach Kelly. He will have the kids ready to play. I know he was greatly upset by the loss to HP last year. While I think this game will be very close, I am going to call it a PA win by three points.

walkingguy72396

I believe that Wynne plays Marion.  The only thing for sure is.  The Skeeters will be out. 

Intelligentsia

Watson Chapel will visit the Pioneers in what should be a fun and enlightening opening game.  It appears that junior Zach Griffin (6'3"+, strong arm, very good speed, and a north-south runner) will lead the team at QB, and will line up behind a strong, experienced offensive line (just lost one end of year full-time starter).  He will have two experienced tailbacks (one of whom is the new triple jump 5-A state champion), both of whom were in the rotation last year, a very big (6'7") and sure handed tight end and sure handed, fast, and good sized (6'3") wide receiver (who also has an impressive vertical) to help on offense. The down side on offense is the graduation of our super-kicker, Oz.  They have a sure footed kicker for extra points and should be good for 20 - 25 yard fg attempts.  I'm not so sure about our defense, but under the coaching of d - coordinator, Stu Smith, I'm not too worried.  Even with our Jr. QB, I believe the Pioneers will make a good run into the playoffs, and who knows, maybe they will get back to war memorial for yet another try at the big prize:). Concerning the first game, Coach King will not show everything he has and he will play a lot of kids - my very early guess Batesville 35, Watson Chapel 21. 

Hoghead2

Hope plays its traditional rivalry opener at Nashville. Scrappers have talent and a new HC. Hope will  be young this year. A full house at Scrapper stadium will be on hand as always.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 12, 2015, 01:46:28 am
Hope plays its traditional rivalry opener at Nashville. Scrappers have talent and a new HC. Hope will  be young this year. A full house at Scrapper stadium will be on hand as always.

Is the THE hoghead?

Hoghead2

Quote from: AirWarren on June 12, 2015, 02:34:03 am
Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 12, 2015, 01:46:28 am

Is the THE hoghead?

In the flesh A-Dub !!!!    Pink Caddy and all !!!

AirWarren

Welcome back. How was vacation?

Hoghead2

Lionheart88

White Hall will travel to Van Buren in week one.  They just had a coaching change, but we lost a huge and talented senior class that included our entire backfield (including a D1 QB), most of our receivers (including a TE/DE that just got drafted to play pro baseball),  most of our starting O-line, most of our defensive secondary, and a three year starter at P/K.  So....could be a rough one for the bulldogs.  Granted, I don't have a kid on the team or any other ear on the inside (so things may not be as bad as they look to me on the outside), but it looks like a rebuilding year to me.  I hope they prove me wrong.

Hoghead2

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 12, 2015, 03:36:57 pm
White Hall will travel to Van Buren in week one.  They just had a coaching change, but we lost a huge and talented senior class that included our entire backfield (including a D1 QB), most of our receivers (including a TE/DE that just got drafted to play pro baseball),  most of our starting O-line, most of our defensive secondary, and a three year starter at P/K.  So....could be a rough one for the bulldogs.  Granted, I don't have a kid on the team or any other ear on the inside (so things may not be as bad as they look to me on the outside), but it looks like a rebuilding year to me.  I hope they prove me wrong.

White Hall is always better than you think or suprisingly losing a game they shouldn't. But they can always beat Watson Chapel. Good luck WH Bulldogs !

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 14, 2015, 12:06:56 am
Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 12, 2015, 03:36:57 pm

White Hall is always better than you think or suprisingly losing a game they shouldn't. But they can always beat Watson Chapel. Good luck WH Bulldogs !

Last year was the first time in quite a while that WC actually beat White Hall. It'll be a tough game as always.

GuvHog

Quote from: Intelligentsia on June 11, 2015, 11:19:28 pm
Watson Chapel will visit the Pioneers in what should be a fun and enlightening opening game.  It appears that junior Zach Griffin (6'3"+, strong arm, very good speed, and a north-south runner) will lead the team at QB, and will line up behind a strong, experienced offensive line (just lost one end of year full-time starter).  He will have two experienced tailbacks (one of whom is the new triple jump 5-A state champion), both of whom were in the rotation last year, a very big (6'7") and sure handed tight end and sure handed, fast, and good sized (6'3") wide receiver (who also has an impressive vertical) to help on offense. The down side on offense is the graduation of our super-kicker, Oz.  They have a sure footed kicker for extra points and should be good for 20 - 25 yard fg attempts.  I'm not so sure about our defense, but under the coaching of d - coordinator, Stu Smith, I'm not too worried.  Even with our Jr. QB, I believe the Pioneers will make a good run into the playoffs, and who knows, maybe they will get back to war memorial for yet another try at the big prize:). Concerning the first game, Coach King will not show everything he has and he will play a lot of kids - my very early guess Batesville 35, Watson Chapel 21. 

Wow! I don't know much about the Wildcats but if they come within 14 points or less of Batesville, it will be a good year at WC.

FBfan79

PADAD,  does either team stream their games? 

PA Dad

Quote from: FBfan79 on June 20, 2015, 09:15:32 am

PA does stream some games but I don't think all games are streamed. 

I'll try to find out if either team will stream the game and let you know.

FBfan79

Quote from: PA Dad on June 20, 2015, 10:17:05 am

Thanks

PA Dad

Quote from: FBfan79 on June 20, 2015, 12:59:30 pm

I am told by unofficial but knowledgeable sources that PA will stream the game.  Go to You Tube and search for Pulaski Academy football.  That should pull it up.
Thanks

Intelligentsia

Quote from: PA Dad on June 20, 2015, 05:30:59 pm

I am told by unofficial but knowledgeable sources that PA will stream the game.  Go to You Tube and search for Pulaski Academy football.  That should pull it up.
Thanks

Sort of thinking about moving some investments around - do you have any unofficial tips from knowledgeable insiders ;)

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on June 20, 2015, 10:03:23 pm

Thanks

Sort of thinking about moving some investments around - do you have any unofficial tips from knowledgeable insiders ;)

Actually, I do.  They say buy low and sell high.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: PA Dad on June 20, 2015, 10:46:46 pm

Thanks

I'm sure a PA Dad can do better than that, unofficially, of course. 

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on June 20, 2015, 10:50:33 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on June 20, 2015, 10:46:46 pm

Thanks

I'm sure a PA Dad can do better than that, unofficially, of course.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do.  It sounds like great advice to me.

Lanny

Quote from: PA Dad on June 11, 2015, 08:48:01 pm
I know that we are three months from the kick off of the first game, but I am ready to talk some football! Since we are already doing a fan poll, let's talk about the first game.

Tell us what you know about the opposing team, your team, and who you think will win.

PA starts with Highland Park in Dallas. HP is in the 6A class in Texas, which is their highest classification.
I can't find much on the Internet about HP this year. But, HP is a perennial contender in Texas. They have not lost a game at home since 1998. Their home game winning streak is approaching 90 games. PA opened with them last year and lost by a touchdown.  HP has a stadium which I estimate will seat  about 8000 to 10,000. They have tremendous support at their home games. Last year, I would say they had more than 100 players on their team. They are well coached and run a pro style offense.  They may be PA's toughest opponent of the year.

PA lost a number of good players.  Will Hefley(quarterback) and Will Hastings(wide receiver) accounted for about 30% of the PA offense last year, and both graduated. Myles Fells transferred to a public school. He was our best running back last year. We lost our best defensive player, linebacker Reid Rickenbach.

But, all but one of an outstanding offensive line returns this year. We have good prospects at running back and quarterback. My biggest concern is our defense – I simply do not know how good they will be this year.

I have great confidence in Coach Kelly. He will have the kids ready to play. I know he was greatly upset by the loss to HP last year. While I think this game will be very close, I am going to call it a PA win by three points.

PA will defeat Highland Park

PA Dad

Quote from: Lanny on July 06, 2015, 07:34:10 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on June 11, 2015, 08:48:01 pm

PA will defeat Highland Park

I like your confidence.

I heard that Highland Park tried to get out of the game with PA this year.  Do you know if there is any truth to that rumor?  If it's true, I think they are trying to protect their home winning streak.

MDXPHD

I know they win a lot at home, but have they done anything in the playoffs? I think their last title was ten years ago...Have they been to a state title game since then?

GuvHog

Watson Chapel travels to Batesville for their first game and that will be a tough one. In fact, WC probably has the most difficult non conference schedule in the state. they have to play:

1. A team picked 2nd in most overall 5A polls.
2. A team picked to win the 6A state title.
3. A team picked to win the 4A state title by some.

That's a real murderer's row.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 09, 2015, 10:42:25 am
I know they win a lot at home, but have they done anything in the playoffs? I think their last title was ten years ago...Have they been to a state title game since then?

They have not.  They were 9-2 last year and 7-3 in 2013.  Their record in prior years is not impressive other than the home winning streak, which is very impressive.

Chief_Osceola™

Pretty sure Maumelle opens with Jacksonville again this year.  I know nothing of the Red Devils, but as for us, we'll be talented but very young.

GuvHog

July 11, 2015, 10:37:00 am #26 Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:53:23 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on July 10, 2015, 03:55:47 pm
Pretty sure Maumelle opens with Jacksonville again this year.  I know nothing of the Red Devils, but as for us, we'll be talented but very young.

I know that Jacksonville will have a larger team than they've had in a while since North Pulaski has merged it's team with them.

PA Dad

Razorback Red posted this on the 7A board.  It's the best info I've seen on HP this year:

My brother-in-law brought me a copy of the Dave Campbell's 2015 Texas Football magazine this week.  They have Highland Park picked to finish 2nd in the 10-6A conf and make the 6A D2 playoffs, after finishing 10-2 last season in their first year of 6A.  They are not ranked in the overall 6A top 40 rankings.  They lost 19 starters from last year's team, so they only have 2 offensive (top rusher and top WR) and 1 defensive starter returning.  The article goes on to say that HP will be one of the most inexperienced teams in the metro area. 

Hopefully PA can play disciplined football and come away with the win, with this being their first game and I'm guessing 2nd for HP.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 16, 2015, 11:54:53 am

Razorback Red posted this on the 7A board.  It's the best info I've seen on HP this year:

My brother-in-law brought me a copy of the Dave Campbell's 2015 Texas Football magazine this week.  They have Highland Park picked to finish 2nd in the 10-6A conf and make the 6A D2 playoffs, after finishing 10-2 last season in their first year of 6A.  They are not ranked in the overall 6A top 40 rankings.  They lost 19 starters from last year's team, so they only have 2 offensive (top rusher and top WR) and 1 defensive starter returning.  The article goes on to say that HP will be one of the most inexperienced teams in the metro area. 

Hopefully PA can play disciplined football and come away with the win, with this being their first game and I'm guessing 2nd for HP.

It sounds like HP won't be very good. I wish they were going to be good and PA beat them, it would be good for Arkansas football. But, it seems like Texas isn't very high on them..so a win for PA won't be that impressive. I think PA should win this game.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 20, 2015, 10:10:55 am

It sounds like HP won't be very good. I wish they were going to be good and PA beat them, it would be good for Arkansas football. But, it seems like Texas isn't very high on them..so a win for PA won't be that impressive. I think PA should win this game.

There is some mixed information here. While HP will obviously be inexperienced, they are picked to finish second in their conference. That indicates that they have a good deal of talent.  Good talent can make up for inexperience.

On the other hand, I wonder if the expectations for PA are too high. It looks like we will have a sophomore quarterback and we have just lost our best wide receiver for the first four or five games of the year. Zack Kelley tore a ligament in his knee and is out until at least October.  FF picked PA third in the state. That seems high to me since we have a sophomore quarterback who, regardless of how good he is, will make sophomore mistakes. But, I hope the high expectations are justified. We will see.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 20, 2015, 11:31:50 pm

There is some mixed information here. While HP will obviously be inexperienced, they are picked to finish second in their conference. That indicates that they have a good deal of talent.  Good talent can make up for inexperience.

On the other hand, I wonder if the expectations for PA are too high. It looks like we will have a sophomore quarterback and we have just lost our best wide receiver for the first four or five games of the year. Zack Kelley tore a ligament in his knee and is out until at least October.  FF picked PA third in the state. That seems high to me since we have a sophomore quarterback who, regardless of how good he is, will make sophomore mistakes. But, I hope the high expectations are justified. We will see.

Sorry to hear about Kelley, he's a good player. I'm glad to hear that he will be back in October.

He will make mistakes, but he will also do some great things at qb. He's going to be hard to stop. He isn't a typical sophomore ha. I think your system will be all it takes to beat HP this season though, so I expect a win from PA.

#1jacketfan

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 21, 2015, 08:02:43 am

Sorry to hear about Kelley, he's a good player. I'm glad to hear that he will be back in October.

He will make mistakes, but he will also do some great things at qb. He's going to be hard to stop. He isn't a typical sophomore ha. I think your system will be all it takes to beat HP this season though, so I expect a win from PA.
Tre Bruce will be QB for PA right?

PA Dad

Quote from: #1jacketfan on July 28, 2015, 07:06:55 pm

My information is that Layne Hatcher, a sophomore, will be the quarterback.

#1jacketfan

Quote from: PA Dad on July 28, 2015, 09:15:51 pm

Wow....must be a talented young man!

Lionheart88

Comes from a talented family.  Both his older sisters play college soccer, Haley was GAC player of the year and a D-II All American for Ouachita last fall.  If this is the Hatcher I'm thinking of.

#1jacketfan

That's great I like to see young guys with great success....looks like we will have a sophomore QB as well, should be an interesting year!

MDXPHD

Quote from: Lionheart88 on July 29, 2015, 07:59:13 am
Comes from a talented family.  Both his older sisters play college soccer, Haley was GAC player of the year and a D-II All American for Ouachita last fall.  If this is the Hatcher I'm thinking of.

I think he also has another older sister who won a few basketball state championships at CAC with Whitney Zachariason. She also won some soccer state championships I think.  Kelsey Hatcher.

PA Dad

Quote from: #1jacketfan on July 29, 2015, 07:52:59 am
Quote from: PA Dad on July 28, 2015, 09:15:51 pm

Wow....must be a talented young man!

I have seen him play only in games that were no longer in doubt.  I know that he had great success at the junior high level.  He is talented.  The issue I see is whether he can adapt to high school ball quickly and limit his mistakes.

Go Postal

I think that this is the schedule for Harrison's non conference games.  It's good to see that we will play all of our old rivals in non conference once again.  I'm anxious to see what the Goblins new head coach will bring to the table in his 1st season at Harrison.

8/28/2015   4A Huntsville (Benefit Game) Home
9/4/2015   6A Mtn Home - Away
9/11/2015   6A Siloam Springs - Home
9/18/2015   6A Alma - Away   

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 29, 2015, 10:14:03 am

I have seen him play only in games that were no longer in doubt.  I know that he had great success at the junior high level.  He is talented.  The issue I see is whether he can adapt to high school ball quickly and limit his mistakes.

Don't kid yourself. With the exception of a few teams, he is still playing against Junior High competition!

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 30, 2015, 08:26:04 am

Don't kid yourself. With the exception of a few teams, he is still playing against Junior High competition!

Your posts indicate that you are not high on 5A central and south.  I tend to agree with you.  But aside from moving the strong 5A teams to 6A, what is the solution?  I'd love to see stronger competition top to bottom in 5A, but I just don't see it happening.

FD4

Well Dad, I wouldn't worry about it too much, I mean the sports are nice and exciting and all that, but the education is far more important.  I know our guys in Wynne are looking pretty frosty and I believe that game two will be a typical PA vs Wynne occasion.  I dont know about the coaching staff but I have the perfect game plan for PA.
1st. At the coin toss, we declare the game will played in "slow motion".  Facial expressions are a must and no running.
2nd. Pass anytime anywhere is the rule.  No penalties for illegal man down field either.
3rd.  The ball must be a "Nerf" ball so the air pressure is a non factor either.
Last. Marathon football, the field is stretched out to 3000 yards, that way, you have time to "run down the man with the ball".

Good rules.  Looking forward to seeing the PA quarterback, yall have never had a bad one that I can ever remember.  Also looking forward to see how well our secondary plays as well.  We should be fast.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 30, 2015, 10:11:49 am
Quote from: MDXPHD on July 30, 2015, 08:26:04 am

Your posts indicate that you are not high on 5A central and south.  I tend to agree with you.  But aside from moving the strong 5A teams to 6A, what is the solution?  I'd love to see stronger competition top to bottom in 5A, but I just don't see it happening.

I just like to make fun of the Central. There isn't a solution to the problem.

PA Dad

Quote from: FD4 on July 30, 2015, 10:52:57 am
Well Dad, I wouldn't worry about it too much, I mean the sports are nice and exciting and all that, but the education is far more important.  I know our guys in Wynne are looking pretty frosty and I believe that game two will be a typical PA vs Wynne occasion.  I dont know about the coaching staff but I have the perfect game plan for PA.
1st. At the coin toss, we declare the game will played in "slow motion".  Facial expressions are a must and no running.
2nd. Pass anytime anywhere is the rule.  No penalties for illegal man down field either.
3rd.  The ball must be a "Nerf" ball so the air pressure is a non factor either.
Last. Marathon football, the field is stretched out to 3000 yards, that way, you have time to "run down the man with the ball".

Good rules.  Looking forward to seeing the PA quarterback, yall have never had a bad one that I can ever remember.  Also looking forward to see how well our secondary plays as well.  We should be fast.

Interesting rules.  I'm not sure which team they would favor.

If Wynne has a speedy secondary, the game should be a good matchup.  PA, as you know, always has some speed at wide receiver.  But, it remains to be seen how much the loss of Zac Kelley will hurt PA at wide receiver.

hillbilly

What's the story on the RB who started at PA last year and will be going to Robinson this year?

Intelligentsia

With a sophomore QB, the O-Line will be key to success for P.A. , and it appears that they will be exceptional.  It will take quite a team or a lot of luck to keep P.A. from repeating as state champs.  The only chance to beat them will be with an exceptional secondary defense.

PA Dad

Quote from: hillbilly on August 01, 2015, 12:21:33 am

What's the story on the RB who started at PA last year and will be going to Robinson this year?

Let's just say he had a problem following the rules.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 01, 2015, 08:21:41 am
With a sophomore QB, the O-Line will be key to success for P.A. , and it appears that they will be exceptional.  It will take quite a team or a lot of luck to keep P.A. from repeating as state champs.  The only chance to beat them will be with an exceptional secondary defense.

I think that remains to be seen.  With a sophomore quarterback and Zac Kelley out for 4-5 weeks, and with questions on defense, I think expectations may be too high for PA.  I hope I'm wrong.

Intelligentsia

Yes, with those factors they may have a rough start, but they should be clicking by playoff time.  They are the defending champs and the team to beat.  Good possibility they will lose to Wynne early, but with a healthy Kelly and a season of seasoning, the young QB will be steady by playoffs (if he does not get slammed into the retaining wall at PA - couldn't resist:)

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 01, 2015, 03:34:13 pm
Yes, with those factors they may have a rough start, but they should be clicking by playoff time.  They are the defending champs and the team to beat.  Good possibility they will lose to Wynne early, but with a healthy Kelly and a season of seasoning, the young QB will be steady by playoffs (if he does not get slammed into the retaining wall at PA - couldn't resist:)

But well deserved.  I hope there is a pad on that wall this year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas