• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why do our best players leave the state?

Started by Trojanbird, January 17, 2018, 08:03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Trojanbird

IMBO, it has to be the coaching!  Good players want to be coached while street ballers just want to do their thing.

beach bum

Monk left for obvious reasons... If you are a one and done why go to Arkansas? This may surprise you but some kids want to leave to make their own path. Allen committed to Florida when Donovan was still there so I understand why he committed to Florida. He chose to stay even with the coaching change. Aren't they the only 2 key basketball players that have left in the last recent history? And like I said everyone knew from the get go Monk was going to one of the blue blood programs.

Trojanbird

Would they have left in the Nolan days?  Probably not!  We just fired a football coach for poor performance, why are we giving Mike a pass for poor performance?

beach bum

January 17, 2018, 09:47:04 pm #3 Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:53:54 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Trojanbird on January 17, 2018, 09:26:41 pm
Would they have left in the Nolan days?  Probably not!  We just fired a football coach for poor performance, why are we giving Mike a pass for poor performance?

It's not 1995 anymore.... We also fired a football coach for a terrible 5 year span and not one bad year. You don't fire a basketball coach at a program like Arkansas for one season especially when he has made the NCAA tournament 2 of the 3 previous seasons. If we miss this year along with a sub par season next year I think we will see him go. Being a top 25 basketball program is way more difficult than being a top 25 football program. Anyone will tell you that simply off numbers and resources. Football has 130 DI schools compared to 350 in basketball. It does not take the same amount of resources to be top 25 in basketball either. It's the reason schools like Gonzaga, Xavier, Wichita State, and so forth can be good in basketball without a massive athletic budget. Schools like Central Florida come and go in football, but they can not sustain the success like mid majors in basketball because football takes so many resources. You can not compare basketball and football whatsoever. I honestly can handle as a program missing the NCAA tournament from time to time as long as we aren't doing it in back to back seasons at this point. If you miss two years in a row that is unacceptable in my opinion.

bdubyab60

Archie Goodwin left as well. While it may be easier to have a top 25 football program it's much easier to recruit and have a good basketball program. It only takes a couple good players to turn a program around.

We have had this discussion before. We are far enough along that we should be seeing a significant step from where we were. Is this program better than the pel and Heath Years. I'd say yeah. MA runs a clean program as well. But Arkansas has been a basketball school as long as I can remember. We have been able to get program changing players from in and out of the state. MA has had one so far, Portis. Maybe Gafford develops in to one as well, we will see.

If this goes completely off the rails and we miss the tourney this year. MA seat should be getting warm. A decent recruiting class shouldn't be a reason to keep a coach. But it will keep MA his job this year.

I may have said this already but really think about this. Say we miss the tourney this year. That's 2 tourneys in 7 years. Both early exits. 0 Conference championships, 0 tournament titles. Yeah you have won some games. SEc was the weakest it's been in years when you took over. The same issues continue to pop up and keeping us from getting over the hump, road woes are back this year. Again will be super young again next year.

Take these results and put them on any other coach we have had not named MA, Sutton or Richardson and what would have happened.

I'm not even upset that we have lost a few games here. But it's very close to what it was in football. Sometimes it's just what it looks like when you are doing it.

thebigman3

I'm kinda with you.. I think Anderson is a dang good coach, I really do, but I do not think he can recruit. I'm not even talking about Monk or Allen. But why not the Reeves kid? And why did Reggie Perry just de commit? I do like, however, how he will go after Juco players.

sportsguy80

I agree with you guys. This discussion is a common one and has multiple reasons why. This is a different day than in the 90s so to be fair kids are gonna explore other options more. We do get some good jucos which helps but it has a negative affect when the top in-state kids leave. In my opinion, Coach A is a good coach and well respected but I think his style is outdated. If you think most kids don't pay attention to this then think again. As far as this year goes, we are not playing up to our strengths and we're making too many mistakes for a senior led team. Macon and Beard are not consistent enough on offense. Coach should have been bench them to possibly give them a wake up call. That's one of the biggest differences between him and Nolan. Nolan did not play when it came to effort and consistency. His teams may not have won every game but their opponents always respected them.

bdubyab60

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 19, 2018, 01:14:56 pm
I'm kinda with you.. I think Anderson is a dang good coach, I really do, but I do not think he can recruit. I'm not even talking about Monk or Allen. But why not the Reeves kid? And why did Reggie Perry just de commit? I do like, however, how he will go after Juco players.
Well you can't force a kid to stay committed. Many think picked Perry to decommit when he became a 5*. Supposedly his father had health reasons too and Starkville is slightly closer than Arkansas to his home. Also rumor of the cash changing hands there.

That is one good thing about MA he's never caught up in any mess like that.

bdubyab60

Quote from: sportsguy80 on January 19, 2018, 08:16:33 pm
I agree with you guys. This discussion is a common one and has multiple reasons why. This is a different day than in the 90s so to be fair kids are gonna explore other options more. We do get some good jucos which helps but it has a negative affect when the top in-state kids leave. In my opinion, Coach A is a good coach and well respected but I think his style is outdated. If you think most kids don't pay attention to this then think again. As far as this year goes, we are not playing up to our strengths and we're making too many mistakes for a senior led team. Macon and Beard are not consistent enough on offense. Coach should have been bench them to possibly give them a wake up call. That's one of the biggest differences between him and Nolan. Nolan did not play when it came to effort and consistency. His teams may not have won every game but their opponents always respected them.
And about MAs style being outdated I was told this by someone close to Monk.

Trojanbird

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 19, 2018, 09:07:45 pm
And about MAs style being outdated I was told this by someone close to Monk.
Yep! 

thebigman3

Quote from: sportsguy80 on January 19, 2018, 08:16:33 pm
Feel like if Macon or Barford isn't on the floor then no one will score. Gafford maybe? But I do agree they need to be woken up. Macon has been taking questionable shots as of late.

Valleysports

Iknewthemwhen

The better kids want to feel assured that they will be playing in the tournament every year and at least be at a school that is talked about as a possible conference or national title contender.  Arkansas is not there now and has not been there for a while.  It's the same for football.  When you are a contender your school, your program recruits for itself.  Best example, Alabama in football, Kentucky in basketball and a few others get who they want, they don't have to beg to get a 3* player. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas