• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Basketball State Championship Matchups

Started by Brian G, March 05, 2017, 12:37:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

March 05, 2017, 12:37:21 pm Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:11:16 pm by B.G.
                      2017 ARKANSAS STATE BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

7A BOYS:  North Little Rock vs Fort Smith Northside  Saturday 12:45

7A GIRLS:  Fayetteville vs North Little Rock  Saturday 11:00

6A BOYS: Jonesboro vs El Dorado

6A GIRLS: Marion vs Sheridan

5A BOYS:  Mills vs LR Parkview

5A GIRLS: Watson Chapel vs LR Parkview

4A BOYS: Pea Ridge vs Baptist Prep

4A GIRLS: Pocahontas vs Pottsville

3A BOYS: Tuckerman vs Episcopal Collegiate

3A GIRLS: Hoxie vs Valley Springs

2A BOYS: Marked Tree vs Earle

2A GIRLS: Hector vs Quitman

1A BOYS: Shirley vs Guy-Perkins

1A GIRLS: Wonderview vs Bay

Brian G

Brian G

March 05, 2017, 01:35:18 pm #2 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:36:06 pm by B.G.
State Basketball Finals Schedule
Hot Springs Convention Center
Thursday, March 9th
2:00 p.m. – Special Olympics Project Unify
#1 Class 5A GIRLS
3:30 p.m. – LR Parkview vs Watson Chapel
#2 Class 5A BOYS
5:15 p.m. – LR Parkview vs Mills
#3 Class 1A GIRLS
7:00 p.m. –  Bay vs Wonderview
#4 Class 2A BOYS
8:45 p.m. – Earle vs Marked Tree
Friday, March 10th
2:00 p.m. – Special Olympics Project Unify
#5 Class 6A BOYS
3:30 p.m. – Jonesboro vs El Dorado
#6 Class 3A GIRLS
5:15 p.m. - Hoxie vs Valley Springs
#7 Class 4A BOYS
7:00 p.m. – Pea Ridge vs Baptist Prep
#8 6A GIRLS
8:45 p.m. – Sheridan vs Marion
Saturday, March 10th
#9 Class 7A GIRLS
11:00 a.m.- Fayetteville vs North Little Rock
#10 Class 7A BOYS
12:45 p.m. - North Little Rock vs Fort Smith Northside
#11 Class 2A GIRLS
2:30 p.m. – Quitman vs Hector
#12 Class 1A BOYS
4:15 p.m.- Guy-Perkins vs Shirley
#13 Class 4A GIRLS
6:00 p.m. – Pottsville vs Pocahontas
#14 Class 3A BOYS
7:45 p.m. – Episcopal Collegiate vs Tuckerman

ricepig

AAA ensuring there isn't the problems with fans turned away for lack of seating this year, lol. None of the big boys play on the same day.

Brian G

Rulesman

Quote from: B.G. on March 05, 2017, 02:49:56 pm
Very surprised at this schedule.
To me, it's a "makes sense" schedule. Schools with both teams play back to back. Teams from the same geographical area play in close proximity to each other.

Brian G

Quote from: Rulesman on March 05, 2017, 02:53:17 pm
To me, it's a "makes sense" schedule. Schools with both teams play back to back. Teams from the same geographical area play in close proximity to each other.
I'm not really questioning it as much as noting it's a departure from the norm.

For me, I kind of like it.  I'm likely to come down from NWA and stay Friday night. I can see Pea Ridge, Fay girls and NSide boys all in less than 24 hours.

Then maybe go see those horses run. :)

ricepig

Quote from: Rulesman on March 05, 2017, 02:53:17 pm

I've got no problem with schools with two teams in it playing back to back, in fact it should be mandated. For fans wanting to watch the best talent, it's terrible, but was expected.

Burks

Razorback Red

March 05, 2017, 05:12:07 pm #9 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:14:32 pm by Razorback Red
Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 02:46:20 pm
AAA ensuring there isn't the problems with fans turned away for lack of seating this year, lol. None of the big boys play on the same day.

So they took the easy way out, which is a joke in my opinion.  Would make too much sense to figure out a way for 5A, 6A and 7A boys to all play on Sat and showcase the states best teams all in one day. 

Hopefully someday AR will figure out a way to use the top venues in the state where seating would not be a problem.  They've done it before, so it can be done.  There are at least 4 venues better than HS in the state that would make sense. 

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback Red on March 05, 2017, 05:12:07 pm
So they took the easy way out, which is a joke in my opinion.  Would make too much sense to figure out a way for 5A, 6A and 7A boys to all play on Sat and showcase the states best teams all in one day. 

Hopefully someday AR will figure out a way to use the top venues in the state where seating would not be a problem.  They've done it before, so it can be done.  There are at least 4 venues better than HS in the state that would make sense.

Yep, but this is the same organization that clears out the semi-finals in order to re-charge for the final two games of four.

Brian G

First and foremost the boys and girls games should be at separate sites or played on different weekends.

The overall interest in the Finals would improve.

Razorback Red

Totally agree.

Just for grins, can you imagine how packed Verizon Arena would be on a Sat afternoon if Mills/Parkview, Jonesboro/ED and NLR/NS all played back-to-back.  There would be over 15K folks there.

Was just reading where TX is once again playing Final 4 games (semi's and finals) in one weekend in San Antonio.  They have it figured out.  They also use Jerry World in football to give kids the best experience. 

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback Red on March 05, 2017, 05:27:14 pm
Totally agree.

Just for grins, can you imagine how packed Verizon Arena would be on a Sat afternoon if Mills/Parkview, Jonesboro/ED and NLR/NS all played back-to-back.  There would be over 15K folks there.

Was just reading where TX is once again playing Final 4 games (semi's and finals) in one weekend in San Antonio.  They have it figured out.  They also use Jerry World in football to give kids the best experience.

There's also a few more people in Texas ........

BigLion10

They used to have it at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin before San Antonio

Brian G

I think it's time to revamp the whole thing.

Brian G

Ideas to consider:
Multiple Venues
Multiple Weekends
Final 4 type Weekends

Yours?

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on March 05, 2017, 08:02:07 pm
Ideas to consider:
Multiple Venues
Multiple Weekends
Final 4 type Weekends

Yours?

Probably go with multiple venues, that would seem to be the easiest.

Brian G

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 08:07:44 pm
Probably go with multiple venues, that would seem to be the easiest.
I kind of agree if you could get the right mix.

Brian G

I don't there is any doubt this years schedule is a byproduct of last years chaos.

Prebought tickets where not enough to get you in.  It was the Monk effect but it filtered into other games.

RamAlum10

I'm down in Texas so I see their system first hand. It's bi district, then area part of tourney, then region, then the final 4 are set. They play 1-6A semis on Thursday and Friday. First game tips at 8:30AM at AlamoDome. They're able to seat as many people that want to come. Then, Saturday, they play 1-6A finals starting at 8:30 and goes thru end of day. Girls finals played the weekend before, and draw huge crowds. Texas obviously has a lot more teams, so their first 4 games is state are a lot more strenuous and are played at neutral courts all over. Not held at same venue for a week, like Arkansas does for the first few rounds of each class' state tourney.

Arkansas needs to split venues, if every one is opposed to having girls the weekend before. Verizon is too expensive to host. Sure, the marquee matchups will draw huge crowds.. but think about Guy Perkins type of games... would draw barely enough people to fill the lower sections on both sides, not counting baselines.

The final 4 system wouldn't work with one venue, so if you did that, you'd have to find people that want split venues or split weekends.

Just my .02. I hate this schedule and how it worked. I see why AAA did it. I was wanting to warhead Pv when I came in town for the weekend, but that won't happen. I do get to see ElDo and JB tho. I will be front row, for sure. Going to enjoy the one hype game of the day!

RamAlum10

The best thing to do, would be playing all State tourneys (boys and girls) same weekend in Hot Springs. 5A-7A play at BofO. 4A-1A play at Lake Hamilton's new arena. It's big enough to support fan bases, AND it would feel a lot cooler for the kids to play in that packed environment, imo. These Saturday games are going to be ghost towns, because the causal fans will be at the Thur. Fri. matchups. If you had the smaller schools playing at an arena like LH that holds 2300, it would be a lot more fun than playing in a 3/4 empty BofO arena.

Brian G

One thing for sure, the solutions have to be plausible.  We can't just say "go here" when that venue might not want it.

Rulesman

Quote from: B.G. on March 05, 2017, 08:49:22 pm
We can't just say "go here" when that venue might not want it.
...which is a HUGE factor that many seem to ignore.

Brian G

Quote from: Rulesman on March 05, 2017, 09:00:31 pm
...which is a HUGE factor that many seem to ignore.
Absolutely.

But I also wonder how much that is on the AAA?  I think it's time to see some numbers.

Ice Water

I could be off base here, but I think that it is a misconception that the smaller classifications always draw smaller crowds. Each year there's usually one or two big school marquee matchups that draw capacity pushing crowds. Last year it was Bentonville/Cabot. But there's also a handful of big school matchups with an empty upper deck, skeleton student sections, and minimal neutral fan interest.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: RamAlum10 on March 05, 2017, 08:17:22 pm
I'm down in Texas so I see their system first hand. It's bi district, then area part of tourney, then region, then the final 4 are set. They play 1-6A semis on Thursday and Friday. First game tips at 8:30AM at AlamoDome. They're able to seat as many people that want to come. Then, Saturday, they play 1-6A finals starting at 8:30 and goes thru end of day. Girls finals played the weekend before, and draw huge crowds. Texas obviously has a lot more teams, so their first 4 games is state are a lot more strenuous and are played at neutral courts all over. Not held at same venue for a week, like Arkansas does for the first few rounds of each class' state tourney.

Arkansas needs to split venues, if every one is opposed to having girls the weekend before. Verizon is too expensive to host. Sure, the marquee matchups will draw huge crowds.. but think about Guy Perkins type of games... would draw barely enough people to fill the lower sections on both sides, not counting baselines.

The final 4 system wouldn't work with one venue, so if you did that, you'd have to find people that want split venues or split weekends.

Just my .02. I hate this schedule and how it worked. I see why AAA did it. I was wanting to warhead Pv when I came in town for the weekend, but that won't happen. I do get to see ElDo and JB tho. I will be front row, for sure. Going to enjoy the one hype game of the day!
trust me Guy Perkins and Shirley will have more fans than any 2a-4a team..

businesstron

Three options...

Take a page out of Oklahoma's book and play 1a-4a games in one location and then play 5a-7a games in another. I don't know who said it but using the Bank of the Ozarks arena and the arena in Lake Hamilton would be a good idea.  In both arenas you should be able to get most of the game done on Friday evening and during the day on Saturday.   Also on Saturday what is wrong at starting at 10:30 in the morning and maybe tacking one more game on at the end?

2nd Option

Consolidate classes for all sports except football.  Oklahoma had a problem with Union and Jenks winning all those football title so they split their biggest class just for football.  Seeing it the last few years it looks like it's working out nicely.  That'll reduce the amount of games that need to be played during the weekend and it'll at least make the 7a/6a tournament more interesting.

3rd Option

Go back to Barton.

Brian G

I am about ready to just say 7A for football only.

Missco

Arkansas needs 5 classes in basketball at the most and thats 1 to many. Its a joke having. 16,16,32,48,48, and the rest in A. 4 classes would be plenty. Have districts,regional, sectionals, and bring the top 4 to LR in each class. Do the boys 1 weekend and the girls another or use 2 venues. The finals should be in Little Rock

arstatechamp13

I thought Barton worked well in 2013. LR is smack dab in the middle of the state with hotels and food everywhere. Maybe they can't always book it but I wish AAA would push harder for something like that. Also would be a good idea to consolidate 1A and 2A, 3 and 4, and 5, 6, and 7. That's highly unlikely and I'm sure there's good reasons not to but it seems good when you just say it lol

neds

I think splitting girls and boys is the best option. Sell more overall tics and allow more fans to see their teams and make the trip with confidence that they will gain entry to the venue and get a seat.
I had no problem with Barton. I think the venue and location worked. I also think UCA is a good option for one of the two choices. The all star attendance went up when they moved it to Conway. You can't overstate the ease of having a central location for folks to travel to.
UCA & UALR have shown little interest in going after the play-offs and that maybe a AAA issue.

BigLion10

Brian G

Barton worked out better than I expected but only as a one year fix.

It's just so old.

The bathroom entrances and curtains for goodness sakes.  Dressing rooms pretty lame.

neds

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 11, 2017, 05:19:20 pm
What about the Jack Stephens Center??

Historically oil and water between the athletic dept. and the AAA

BigLion10

Ah I always wondered why they didn't have them there lol

ricepig

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 11, 2017, 05:19:20 pm
What about the Jack Stephens Center??

Maybe for the girls, but it only holds 5600.

BigLion10

We'll have the girls there and boys somewhere else split em up

ricepig

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 11, 2017, 05:54:47 pm
We'll have the girls there and boys somewhere else split em up

Only if they are on different weekends, would it have been fair if NLR's girls and boys were playing at the same time in two different venues today?

neds

Quote from: ricepig on March 11, 2017, 06:02:10 pm
Only if they are on different weekends, would it have been fair if NLR's girls and boys were playing at the same time in two different venues today?

I think you could build those (boys & girls both make it) as exception and move a gender to keep the games even at each location. I don't know that it would matter to a traveling team to go from a Hot Springs location to a Conway location (as an example).

BigLion10

You can split the games up like 7a boys play one day and the girls play another or different weekends works

Porka

Ya know, overall it seemed like the Saturday games went off without a hitch. The North Little Rock games early allowed their fans to catch both games early and let the place clear out enough to handle the crowds for later games.

Only complaint I still have is that they shouldn't be having games on Thursday nights, maybe Sunday instead. Do 4 Friday, 6 Saturday, 4 Sunday (earlier slots) and that accommodates all 7 classifications. Start the day with a large classification game and it lets the place empty out some for smaller games. Maybe end the night with a larger game also. Shouldn't be an issue for crowds that way.

Hats off to the Hot Springs convention center, staff, and the whole town. Overall a very good experience this weekend.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Porka on March 12, 2017, 10:21:02 am
Ya know, overall it seemed like the Saturday games went off without a hitch. The North Little Rock games early allowed their fans to catch both games early and let the place clear out enough to handle the crowds for later games.

Only complaint I still have is that they shouldn't be having games on Thursday nights, maybe Sunday instead. Do 4 Friday, 6 Saturday, 4 Sunday (earlier slots) and that accommodates all 7 classifications. Start the day with a large classification game and it lets the place empty out some for smaller games. Maybe end the night with a larger game also. Shouldn't be an issue for crowds that way.

Hats off to the Hot Springs convention center, staff, and the whole town. Overall a very good experience this weekend.

Believe there are some bylaws that don't allow Sunday games..... Remember it being an issue a couple years ago when weather jacked up region tournament

Brian G

They did end up doing Sunday games two years ago.  But it is the exception.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas