• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Outlook

Started by DerekOxford, December 01, 2015, 01:14:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on July 18, 2016, 11:44:32 am
Wisconsin didn't play in the SEC and Arkansas, because of recruiting competition, just won't be able to go old school on SEC Power Teams year to year.  I love smash mouth, however I think "Almost There" will probably be the ceiling.  Have to have a 4 quarter dominating defense, if you're gonna run in SEC. Arkansas has picked up some good recruits lately.  Perhaps I'm underestimating Bielema or overestimating the SEC.   

Nah, just overestimating the value of your opinion, lol. We need a 2014 defense with a 2015 offense, pretty simple!

AirWarren

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on July 18, 2016, 12:49:36 pm
We need a 2014 defense with a 2015 offense, pretty simple!

You could've just said you agree....   ::)  Never the less we'll get to see big lineman and great running backs for the near future.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on July 21, 2016, 11:15:35 am
You could've just said you agree....   ::)  Never the less we'll get to see big lineman and great running backs for the near future.

I think we'll see a little bit smaller linemen, the new OL coach likes them a tad bit smaller, from my understanding. More like 310-315 vs 340ish, I hear. I agree on the RB's, two good ones in this class and hopefully two in the next one.

AirWarren

Them hogs were throwing some weight last night. Way more weight than I'm throwing right now ha

Valleysports

Listening to Bielema makes me want to become a Hog Fan.  He seem's to really like the personal (players & coaches).  Senior leadership all around.  Maybe they can get settled down before A&M this year. 

Longfellow

Just read where Rafe Peavey is considering transferring

AirWarren

Quote from: Longfellow on August 23, 2016, 03:58:49 pm
Just read where Rafe Peavey is considering transferring

Not surprised. It's been bound to happen.

Cole Kelley is the future at quarterback. Bank on it.

BrianfromCarlisle

ricepig

Rafe can put in another year, graduate, and then transfer, go to a FCS and be immediately eligible, or transfer and sit out with 2 to play.

VHSCoach2

Rafe is officially transferring to SMU, per Bruce Feldman on Twitter.

mtindian42

Quote from: AirWarren on August 23, 2016, 04:00:19 pm
Not surprised. It's been bound to happen.

Cole Kelley is the future at quarterback. Bank on it.
whats going on with ty storie? Is he not working out for y'all?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: mtindian42 on August 24, 2016, 02:46:07 pm
whats going on with ty storie? Is he not working out for y'all?

Ty is officially the backup now

AirWarren

I'm surprised by that.

Two more corners decided to transfer.

Longfellow

AirWarren

AirWarren

Update. KT Marks is a DT.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on August 24, 2016, 04:51:46 pm
KT marks. I assume he is a DB.
Lol, DT that has played about 4 snaps. He was a real reach our first class, but was real close to graduating this summer. I'm not sure we have a Randy Shannon Florida recruit left on the roster.......

Edit: Randy Ramsey, but he had to beg his way back on the team.

Valleysports

Looks like scholarship opportunities have opened up..

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on August 25, 2016, 06:44:46 am
Looks like scholarship opportunities have opened up..

Yeah, I heard Bielema say yesterday that he had awarded 18 scholarships to walkons since he has been here. It's a good thing when players leave because they can't find playing time, improved roster. I think Bama has had 10 transfer since January, and LSU has had 8. When it becomes where ours are all 4* and 5* like theirs, we'll be good, haha.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on August 25, 2016, 07:34:44 am
Yeah, I heard Bielema say yesterday that he had awarded 18 scholarships to walkons since he has been here. It's a good thing when players leave because they can't find playing time, improved roster. I think Bama has had 10 transfer since January, and LSU has had 8. When it becomes where ours are all 4* and 5* like theirs, we'll be good, haha.
kudos to CBB for giving those scholorships to walkons. My perception is that the Bama transfers are encouraged to free up space to sign new recruits and get rid of "dead weight".

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on August 24, 2016, 06:21:11 pm
Lol, DT that has played about 4 snaps. He was a real reach our first class, but was real close to graduating this summer. I'm not sure we have a Randy Shannon Florida recruit left on the roster.......

Edit: Randy Ramsey, but he had to beg his way back on the team.

I know nothing of the guy. Just know he is leaving. Obviously wasn't a fit with us.

Don't bring those mangina hogville emotions over here my friend, haha

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on August 25, 2016, 08:45:50 am
I know nothing of the guy. Just know he is leaving. Obviously wasn't a fit with us.

Don't bring those mangina hogville emotions over here my friend, haha

Ok, whatever.....

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on August 25, 2016, 07:51:00 am
kudos to CBB for giving those scholorships to walkons. My perception is that the Bama transfers are encouraged to free up space to sign new recruits and get rid of "dead weight".

I'd be willing to say that 90% of transfers are due to lack of playing time. And you pretty much have to give the scholarships to walkons, who else would you give them too? He said he entered fall camp with maybe 1 to award, and now has 3 or 4 depending on if a late signee gets in by Friday.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on August 25, 2016, 10:46:22 am
I'd be willing to say that 90% of transfers are due to lack of playing time. And you pretty much have to give the scholarships to walkons, who else would you give them too? He said he entered fall camp with maybe 1 to award, and now has 3 or 4 depending on if a late signee gets in by Friday.
teams often go through spring/summer over the scholarship limit and needing a transfer by the start of fall camp to get down to the 85 limit. Scholarships that become available due to transfer or injury can be " banked" and you can back date an early enrollee to count him in the last recruiting class so as to have an extra spot in the upcoming recruiting class. Scholarships are not always given to walk-ons. I honestly commend CBB for doing it when he doesn't have to.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on August 25, 2016, 11:53:40 am
teams often go through spring/summer over the scholarship limit and needing a transfer by the start of fall camp to get down to the 85 limit. Scholarships that become available due to transfer or injury can be " banked" and you can back date an early enrollee to count him in the last recruiting class so as to have an extra spot in the upcoming recruiting class. Scholarships are not always given to walk-ons. I honestly commend CBB for doing it when he doesn't have to.

It makes no sense not to utilize all 85 scholarships, you have guys graduating and leaving early in Dec to make room for early enrollees.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on August 25, 2016, 08:13:41 pm
It makes no sense not to utilize all 85 scholarships, you have guys graduating and leaving early in Dec to make room for early enrollees.
I guess I'm not understanding what you mean. I would imagine there is not a program in the country not using all 85 scholarships.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on August 25, 2016, 10:15:32 pm
I guess I'm not understanding what you mean. I would imagine there is not a program in the country not using all 85 scholarships.

You said to bank these scholarships and not reward them to walkons, who are you going to give these to after fall camp has started? You've already got your LOI players in and on scholarship.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on August 26, 2016, 06:25:55 am
You said to bank these scholarships and not reward them to walkons, who are you going to give these to after fall camp has started? You've already got your LOI players in and on scholarship.
ok, I follow you. Yes, those scholarships can be given to walkons. That's why I commended CBB for doing so. Banking a scholarship and giving it to a player that enrolled in January and counting it in the previous class theoretically allows you the room to sign more highly rated recruits and stay under the scholarship limit. Giving the scholarship to a player that wasn't recruited because he wasn't rated as high ( a walkon) instead of using it to land a player with a high star rating could be seen as not trying to bring in the best players. That's not a shot at coaches that do it, it is just the reality of the perception.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on August 26, 2016, 08:08:22 am
ok, I follow you. Yes, those scholarships can be given to walkons. That's why I commended CBB for doing so. Banking a scholarship and giving it to a player that enrolled in January and counting it in the previous class theoretically allows you the room to sign more highly rated recruits and stay under the scholarship limit. Giving the scholarship to a player that wasn't recruited because he wasn't rated as high ( a walkon) instead of using it to land a player with a high star rating could be seen as not trying to bring in the best players. That's not a shot at coaches that do it, it is just the reality of the perception.

You are still missing the point, awarding these scholarships to walkons doesn't effect your 85 number for the next season. You can still bring in guys at mid-term if you have room from your previous recruiting classes. You'll notice that the vast majority of players, at Arkansas and elsewhere, are Jr's and Sr's that receive walkon scholarships. These awarded scholarships on effect the 85 number, you can still sign however many you have available, be it 25 to 30. You can only bring in a set amount of early enrollees now, with your graduating Sr's and early NFL guys, you should have room in the 85. Now, when all the recruits(LOI) guys show up in summer, you generally have to have had some roster attrition by then.

beach bum

Boy oh boy is it getting close to kickoff against La Tech. I will go 45-17 Hogs on Saturday.

Proud Buckaroo

depth chart for the LA tech has been released. Boy, I sure am happy to Former Buckaroo Jordan jones on there!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 29, 2016, 09:19:03 pm
depth chart for the LA tech has been released. Boy, I sure am happy to Former Buckaroo Jordan jones on there!!

Odd that he would be on the La Tech depth chart isn't it?

BrianfromCarlisle

He's really really REALLY good. Lol.

2 teams...same game

Biggest question?   Can he successfully shut his self down if he plays corner for one squad?

ricepig

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 29, 2016, 09:19:03 pm

Sounds like Smith would like to redshirt him, we'll see.

https://twitter.com/wholehogsports/status/771137820731641856

cuckoobird

He's going to play defense for the Razorbacks and offense for LaTech

bdubyab60

Thought defense was gonna be our strong suit this year. Didn't look good there

HorseFeathers

LRRandy

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 03, 2016, 03:19:49 pm
Thought defense was gonna be our strong suit this year. Didn't look good there
swiss cheese

HorseFeathers

Austin Allen is looking pretty good so far....

HorseFeathers

bdubyab60

Froholdt has to pick it up at guard. 3 drives killed by his missed blocks

Longfellow

bdubyab60

All end 2 interceptions have lead to all their points. Got to block better. Allen can't stare at receivers like I stare at women at the beach. That gets you slapped.

With the turnover we had at key positions this is about what I expected though. Just find out a way to scratch out a win.

VHSCoach2

Absolutely pathetic today.

HorseFeathers

We need to file a missing person's report for our oline and secondary

nastynice

Quote from: HorseFeathers on September 03, 2016, 05:17:58 pm
We need to file a missing person's report for our oline and secondary
Our secondary has been on the back of milk cartons for couple years now. Nothing new there.

WPWells

Well it was so rough but 1-0

bdubyab60

At the end of the day it's a win.

Line needs to get to work, Allen needs to quit staring down every throw and the secondary has got to cover better. I still don't understand why we give so much cushion.

Still only gave up 20 points, held hem to field goal attempts instead of TD's and made stops in the end to win it.

I don't expect to beat TCU playing like that though. Hopefully there is s huge leap from today

LRRandy

Gotta think everyone would have accepted an ugly win after the Toledo game last year. It's a long building project. It's not sexy, and even though there are several playmakers in the WR corp the QB will keep them from being consistently explosive. The D is a walking cluster. If they don't fix the back seven the late season surge may not come. It is a win though. TCU next.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas