• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Outlook

Started by DerekOxford, December 01, 2015, 01:14:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Romeo on February 03, 2016, 02:16:37 pm
Bret Bielema called out Ole Miss and Florida on national TV to what is perceived to be anger over recruiting tactics. It is what it is. Recruiting is a dirty business and Arkansas is just not an easy place to recruit.

No he didn't, I guess you just run with Twitter tells you??

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/694997127609524225

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on February 03, 2016, 03:21:09 pm
Top 25 class. I'm ok with that.

Yeah, I never believe they are part of the team until the LOI comes in, and that was proven again today. Florida gives a kid a conditional offer on Sunday, loses a 4* commit today, and now they offer isn't conditional. It's recruiting, lol.

Top 25 classes, and some Top 25 finishes on the field will increase both, hopefully sooner, than later.

AirWarren

It is what it is. We will never be a top 10 recruiting school year in and year out. I'm 30 and I've never seen one to my knowledge.

bdubyab60

As long as it translates to wins and we can get some of the lower rated kids to shine bigger than their star rating we should be fine. Agree it sucks missing on every big name we were going after today but you have to go after those kinds of players. I like that this staff is trying to do it.

But if you reverse lets say all these big time recruits eliminated us early. Then today Whaley, Agim and a couple of others committed and signed today it would have felt a little different at least. Had basically the entire class sealed up before signing day.

Its kind of like shooting an 8 point with a muzzleloader and you look up and theres a 14 pointer there but you only had the one shot.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2016, 04:07:23 pm
Bret Bielema called out Ole Miss and Florida on national TV to what is perceived to be anger over recruiting tactics. It is what it is. Recruiting is a dirty business and Arkansas is just not an easy place to recruit.

CBB may not have meant it that way, but all the comments he makes it puts him in a bad situation. Like I have said before, good coach but doesn't know when to shut up...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 03, 2016, 07:46:30 pm

CBB may not have meant it that way, but all the comments he makes it puts him in a bad situation. Like I have said before, good coach but doesn't know when to shut up...

I doubt he feels he's in a bad situation, I figure that's what matters to him.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 12:48:16 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 12:21:30 pm
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 12:10:10 pm
No I wasn't at the Texas Tech game, I was however at the Miss St. game and the corners weren't filled then. And now we're adding 8000 seats? No doubt it will look great, but I just hate seeing sections mostly empty on TV.

Maybe we can get 10k more fans for every game, but I doubt it.

We are adding 3049 seats as it is drawn up today. 2297 Club seats, 32 suites(384 seats) and 92 4 seat Loge boxes. There is demand for everyone of these seats. They will pre-sell all of these, I'm betting. If you don't like the way it looks on TV, get your butt in one of those empties.

I went to EVERY home game for 20 years, now I can only make it to the LR game and a couple games a year in Fayetteville. There are over 500K in NWA, if they can't fill a 72,000 stadium on a regular basis I just can't see how adding seats will help.

I guess maybe the added revenue from the club seats will be worth it in the long run (minus the $160 mil building cost).
yea maybe

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2016, 07:59:33 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 03, 2016, 07:46:30 pm

I doubt he feels he's in a bad situation, I figure that's what matters to him.
Maybe that's why he can't keep his mouth shut...

AirWarren

Well, looks like Singleton is gone after one year.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on February 05, 2016, 02:33:57 pm
Well, looks like Singleton is gone after one year.

Yep, hopefully we get a recruiter in that position. Second year in a row that our RB coach didn't land a recruit. And before any says it, Whaley was a Jennings recruit.

Romeo

AirWarren

SUGARTOWN

AirWarren

That's a solid hire. I would suspect we get a good 1-2 years out of him here at Arkansas.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: AirWarren on February 24, 2016, 11:37:50 am
That's a solid hire. I would suspect we get a good 1-2 years out of him here at Arkansas.

Maybe more. He could be promoted to DC if Smith leaves anytime soon.

AirWarren

I'm sure Bret has that in the back of his mind as well when he decided to hire him. Some may not think it, but Bret is smart and smooth. Covers his tracks well. I like that.

AirWarren

Kody Walker breaks his foot Tuesday.

The curse continues.

AirWarren

I see aubbie thinks they have the next best sec Qb. Some juco athlete.

Longfellow

If you're talking about John Franklin III, they just might have it. Read an article about him on Bleacher Report and watched some film of him, and I think he could be a top notch SEC QB

AirWarren

Yeah. They said that last year about what's his name. Turned out to be a flop. I'll have to see it to believe it.

beach bum

Did anyone actually attend the Red and White game? I heard the weather was just perfect in Fayetteville for the scrimmage... So I figure there was a good turn out!

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on April 23, 2016, 07:21:14 pm
Did anyone actually attend the Red and White game? I heard the weather was just perfect in Fayetteville for the scrimmage... So I figure there was a good turn out!

I went for a half!

Lions84

After Spring Ball I sticking with 8-4 to 10-2 spread this year any worse and I will be shocked.

LRRandy

WPWells

ricepig

Quote from: Fred Bird on June 21, 2016, 06:58:00 pm
Can't tell if you're trolling or just dumb

tOSU troll, but who knows?

LRRandy

Quote from: Fred Bird on June 21, 2016, 06:58:00 pm
Can't tell if you're trolling or just dumb
lost a lot. Only proven thing on offense is the wide receiver corp ( one of the best in sec). Can the qb get time to get them the ball? If he does have time can he be accurate? How durable will running back by committee be?

Arkansas has finished strong two seasons in a row. If Bert doesn't stub his toe on Toledo ( snicker, holy Toledo) and TTechh, it is quite possibly the 10 win watershed year razorback faithful has waited on. That was done however with a lot of experienced players.

So I got 6-6. Could go higher if the question marks are answered in a positive way.
Or lower if LB void isn't fixed and the back of the defense doesn't quit serving Cajin toast ( burnt) to the opponents.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on June 21, 2016, 07:07:21 pm
tOSU troll, but who knows?
hey!!  I resemble that remark.

cuckoobird

Longfellow

6-6 actually sounds reasonable to me. All depends on that QB/RB situation. Allen and Devwah Whaley have to produce at a high level

LRRandy

Quote from: Longfellow on June 22, 2016, 12:13:48 pm
6-6 actually sounds reasonable to me. All depends on that QB/RB situation. Allen and Devwah Whaley have to produce at a high level
careful now. You'll get called dumb by a blind homer.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: LRRandy on June 22, 2016, 01:29:59 pm
careful now. You'll get called dumb by a blind homer.

Longfellow is a Louisville fan

LRRandy

Quote from: HF on June 22, 2016, 02:36:44 pm
Longfellow is a Louisville fan
pre motorcycle wreck?

Longfellow

Yep. I don't know how or why, but one day I was just a Louisville fan. It just happened. I think it was like 2007. I do cheer for Arkansas though. It gives me the ability to be more objective

LRRandy

Quote from: Longfellow on June 22, 2016, 05:49:28 pm
Yep. I don't know how or why, but one day I was just a Louisville fan. It just happened. I think it was like 2007. I do cheer for Arkansas though. It gives me the ability to be more objective
funny how that works sometimes.

Longfellow

Quote from: LRRandy on June 22, 2016, 07:09:43 pm
funny how that works sometimes.
I don't even think I ever watched them play that year though. I think I was watching the bowl selection special on ESPN with my grandpa and I heard them talking about Louisville and their Heisman finalist RB Michael Bush. Of course I had no idea what the Heisman trophy was then. And I used to cheer for other teams when I was a kid just to mess with my mom

LRRandy

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/sec-football-schedules-predictions

Pretty fair prediction. Although they have Arkansas and Auburn winning the same game.

Lionheart88

Disagree with them picking us to lose to Mizzou.  To be fair, some they have us picked to win may be reaches too (TCU, perhaps).

LRRandy

Quote from: Lionheart88 on July 11, 2016, 07:18:54 pm
Disagree with them picking us to lose to Mizzou.  To be fair, some they have us picked to win may be reaches too (TCU, perhaps).
looking through the other teams predictions it looks like whoever did the predicting picked upset wins and upset losses for most teams. I can't see losing to Missouri either.

beach bum

If we score 10 points against Mizzou that will get a win.... man their offense is bad.

VHSCoach2

beach bum

July 15, 2016, 08:14:13 pm #191 Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:22:53 pm by beach bum
This is how the SEC goes down this season......

1.Alabama 7-1
2.LSU 6-2
3.Arkansas 5-3
4.Auburn 5-3
5.Ole Miss 3-5
6.Mississippi State 3-5
7.Texas A&M 3-5

1.Georgia 6-2
2.Tennessee 6-2
3.Florida 4-4
4.Kentucky 3-5
5.Vanderbilt 2-6
6.South Carolina 2-6
7.Missouri 1-7

......I'd say the only surprises I put down were Georgia being a slight surprise to win the East & I have Ole Miss all the way down at 5th in West. I think with a whole new offensive line pretty much and a suspect defense they will struggle. I see the Hogs finishing 8-4 or 9-3.

DerekOxford

Quote from: beach bum on July 15, 2016, 08:14:13 pm
This is how the SEC goes down this season......

1.Alabama 7-1
2.LSU 6-2
3.Arkansas 5-3
4.Auburn 5-3
5.Ole Miss 3-5
6.Mississippi State 3-5
7.Texas A&M 3-5

1.Georgia 6-2
2.Tennessee 6-2
3.Florida 4-4
4.Kentucky 3-5
5.Vanderbilt 2-6
6.South Carolina 2-6
7.Missouri 1-7

......I'd say the only surprises I put down were Georgia being a slight surprise to win the East & I have Ole Miss all the way down at 5th in West. I think with a whole new offensive line pretty much and a suspect defense they will struggle. I see the Hogs finishing 8-4 or 9-3.

What on earth makes you think Florida goes 4-4? I mean I know they have QB concerns but the East is awful.

beach bum

Quote from: DerekOxford on July 15, 2016, 10:02:30 pm
What on earth makes you think Florida goes 4-4? I mean I know they have QB concerns but the East is awful.

I see them losing both games against the West..... plus 0-2 against Georgia and Tennessee. They had all the breaks go their way in close games last year. It all goes in cycles and they won't have that luck in the close games like last year.

WPWells

That makes sense to me...

Longfellow

I honestly feel like South Carolina will shock somebody in the east. May be the difference in someone going to the title game

AirWarren

I always will pull for the gators in the east. They are my second favorite SEC team.

Their position that is unproven is QB. But, with the saturation of talent in Florida, they should be fine at defense and skill position. I'm a big fan of their coach. I think he will get it done in Gainesville if the suits allow him to do it his way.

AirWarren

Now as far as the hogs. So many unknowns this year.

Our defensive line, SHOULD BE dominate this year. Quarterback is a question as is our offensive line. 11 scholarship players and limited depth. Wide receivers should bail out Allen's inexperience, Tight ends are loaded and will help in blocking packages, and our secondary and linebackers SHOULD be ok.

The thing I'm ready to see is Running backs. Devwah Whaley is supposed to be advertised as a blue chip. Running backs bite early so we will know if he is the real deal. Rawleigh, we say glimpses are greatness of him. But who I can't wait to see on the field this year, TJ Hammonds. He was fun to watch in high school and he has apparently put on some muscle and is just as quick and fast as ever. He could be the biggest suprise of this team.

I think as a fanbase, we will enjoy this Bielema led team if he can get that 3-4 headed monster running game that he was famous for at Wisconsin. Watch some of his teams on YouTube. They punished people in the run game. And he is almost there here at Arkansas.

Valleysports

Quote from: AirWarren on July 16, 2016, 10:49:48 am

I think as a fanbase, we will enjoy this Bielema led team if he can get that 3-4 headed monster running game that he was famous for at Wisconsin. Watch some of his teams on YouTube. They punished people in the run game. And he is almost there here at Arkansas.

Wisconsin didn't play in the SEC and Arkansas, because of recruiting competition, just won't be able to go old school on SEC Power Teams year to year.  I love smash mouth, however I think "Almost There" will probably be the ceiling.  Have to have a 4 quarter dominating defense, if you're gonna run in SEC. Arkansas has picked up some good recruits lately.  Perhaps I'm underestimating Bielema or overestimating the SEC.   

Longfellow

I think 'almost there' will be the team slogan. A lot to replace this year. But if Allen progresses well and Whaley is who think he is, we could surprise some people

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas