• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

71st Annual Northeast Arkansas Invitational Tournament

Started by 1995fan, December 17, 2017, 03:54:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1995fan

Any predictions for the NEA Tournament at the ASU Convo????

1995fan

Division I Boys Seeds for 2017 NEA
1. Marked Tree
2. ICC
3. Armorel
4. Marmaduke
5. BIC
6. EPC
7. Mammoth Spring
8. Bay
9. Viola
10. Ridgefield
11. Palestine-Wheatley
12. CRA
13. Cross Co.

RedWolf275

Marked Tree should take this division and Riverside girls should roll through the girls lower division.

wctobar

MikelB

Why is Riverside split with the Girls in Division I and the Boys in Division II? It seems if it was because they wanted competition that would be reversed because their boys are not Division II material this year but the girls could probably win either division easily.

RedWolf275

I agree, this is a mystery. Lady Rebels have already beaten the #2 and #3 seeds in the upper division. I don't really think they could beat Nettleton but I'd like to see the matchup. One would think if the Lady Rebels were on the bubble as to which division they played in, the powers that be would have put them in the upper division.

Basketballfan13

There are 13 teams in the lower division and 12 in the upper. If they would have swapped it and moved a team up from the lower division it would have been Melbourne not riverside that they would have moved up due to classification numbers. I'm glad they didn't though, Melbourne being in the lower division makes that bracket much better.

birddawg1986

Think the numbers were unbalanced because the Manila boys did not participate this year.

RedWolf275

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on December 18, 2017, 11:26:07 am
There are 13 teams in the lower division and 12 in the upper. If they would have swapped it and moved a team up from the lower division it would have been Melbourne not riverside that they would have moved up due to classification numbers. I'm glad they didn't though, Melbourne being in the lower division makes that bracket much better.

Haven't see Melbourne but can they play with with Riverside?

Basketballfan13

Quote from: RedWolf275 on December 18, 2017, 12:01:13 pm
Haven't see Melbourne but can they play with with Riverside?
Their best player is a 9th grader that has been out for awhile with a broken arm. With her I think they could compete with them, but without her I don't think they have enough firepower to stay with them. I know she has been out for a little while but I'm not sure when she will be back.

RedWolf275

eamo8911

Same happened for Tuckerman. Girls are Division 1. Boys are Division 2

Basketballfan13

Quote from: RedWolf275 on December 18, 2017, 01:00:39 pm
Ok. Thanks for the info.
I just saw on the NEA facebook page where the freshman lead melbourne in scoring today in the first round of the NEA so I guess we will get to see how they match up with her if they both meet up.

RedWolf275

I'm glad she is back. I had read on FF somewhere that they had a dandy 9Th grade point guard.

birddawg1986

Man what is Coach Smith @ Marmaduke thinking??

Marmaduke 102
Palestine 18

RedWolf275

I agree, that's just a bit too much. Marmaduke beat the same team 67-23 Saturday.

NEA Razorback olfan

December 18, 2017, 06:46:26 pm #16 Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:48:17 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Man , Marmaduke must be outstanding, beating a winless team that bad
Now that's class at it's finest!!

Didn't Riverside beat them 40pts ?

RedWolf275

Yes, Riverside crushed them earlier this year. I just watched a few highlights on tv and Marmaduke was pressing. After playing this team Saturday, Smith would have known that pressing wasn't necessary. Shouldn't have pressed one possession!

Baller_34

NEA Razorback olfan

mlt

Totally uncalled for!!!  What are you teaching the kids from both programs?

bdubyab60

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: 1995fan on December 17, 2017, 03:54:25 pm
Any predictions for the NEA Tournament at the ASU Convo????

Yes, Marmaduke will press the entire game and beat a winless PW team 100-18
And set a scoring record

hsindian

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 18, 2017, 09:38:24 pm
Yes, Marmaduke will press the entire game and beat a winless PW team 100-18
And set a scoring record
[/qsuote]
I'd love to see Riverside curb stomp them.

Missco

That's sad. What goes around always can come back around. I think Marmaduke has only won 1 state title in girls ever and Palestine has won 4. No need to embarrass a team like they did today. Quit pressing at halftime.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Missco on December 18, 2017, 10:31:35 pm
That's sad. What goes around always can come back around. I think Marmaduke has only won 1 state title in girls ever and Palestine has won 4. No need to embarrass a team like they did today. Quit pressing at halftime.

I just watched the highlights on Kait8 , PW girls very, very weak couldn't hardly dribble, no offense to PW

Missco

redrider30

I just don't know what you call pressing. Fact is we got out of the full court press halfway through 1st quarter and actually called a timeout in 2nd quarter to show his girls a 1-3-1 zone because they haven't played it since 4th grade. Coach Smith was asked by referee with 5:00 minutes left in 3rd quarter to run the clock  and he said go ahead and they did. Never played starters together after mid way through 1st quarter. In 9 seasons at Marmaduke this is first time he has had a team score 100 points. As for Riverside beating us they shot 3's and pressed the whole game but no complaining here, if we don't want Riverside to beat us by 40 + then we'll just have work harder and get better.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: redrider30 on December 18, 2017, 10:54:05 pm
I just don't know what you call pressing. Fact is we got out of the full court press halfway through 1st quarter and actually called a timeout in 2nd quarter to show his girls a 1-3-1 zone because they haven't played it since 4th grade. Coach Smith was asked by referee with 5:00 minutes left in 3rd quarter to run the clock  and he said go ahead and they did. Never played starters together after mid way through 1st quarter. In 9 seasons at Marmaduke this is first time he has had a team score 100 points. As for Riverside beating us they shot 3's and pressed the whole game but no complaining here, if we don't want Riverside to beat us by 40 + then we'll just have work harder and get better.

Big congrats on your impressive win ,  ::)

MomaLion

Starters should have been completely pulled early on.  How do you go from a 40ish pt win on Saturday to an 80+ pt win on Monday???

Bildo

It's hard to tell your kids to "quit" playing. When a team you are playing is that bad, and the other team is pretty good... their bench is probably pretty good too. I am not condoning "running up the score" if that is what happened, I just know that these teams that will compete in the state tournament have to take every opportunity to get better. The starters work hard at practice every day and deserve the opportunity to play in the game too... let us remember that it is a "game" and "kids" play this game. If the starters didn't play together for the majority of the game, I'm good with mixing it up with players that may not have the opportunity to play with them in competitive games but may get thrown in a situation where they need to. I believe that Marmaduke had a boat load of injuries last year and kids had to play that may not have normally seen action. Just saying that if they called off the dogs and and it was still easy for the better team to score... What is the difference in scoring 80 or 100?

NEA Razorback olfan

December 19, 2017, 09:56:25 am #31 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:22:20 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: Bildo on December 19, 2017, 09:46:34 am
It's hard to tell your kids to "quit" playing. When a team you are playing is that bad, and the other team is pretty good... their bench is probably pretty good too. I am not condoning "running up the score" if that is what happened, I just know that these teams that will compete in the state tournament have to take every opportunity to get better. The starters work hard at practice every day and deserve the opportunity to play in the game too... let us remember that it is a "game" and "kids" play this game. If the starters didn't play together for the majority of the game, I'm good with mixing it up with players that may not have the opportunity to play with them in competitive games but may get thrown in a situation where they need to. I believe that Marmaduke had a boat load of injuries last year and kids had to play that may not have normally seen action. Just saying that if they called off the dogs and and it was still easy for the better team to score... What is the difference in scoring 80 or 100?
They beat the same team Saturday  by 40
Tuckerman girls beat cross 69-15, tip of the cap for having a little class and not trying to completely humiliating a weak team.
I'm sure they could have scored 100 pts if they wanted to.
So I guess you're good with humiliating a team just because you can. I hope Melbourne beats them by 100

Make that 101 so they will hold the record

redrider30

Bildo you are right on target with your comments and that's just what happened. I know it sounds bad to say but Saturday we shot terrible and played terrible and still won by 47 points. We played the exact same way Monday, with the exact same player rotations except we agreed to run the clock 5 more minutes in the 3rd quarter and played a halfcourt zone which we've never played for most of the game but we shot really well. If we had wanted to we could have scored 150 points. Still no word from Brookland on playing us next year. NEA Razorback olfan you might want to give your Coach a call and have him check his text messages.

NEA Razorback olfan

December 19, 2017, 11:19:27 am #33 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:37:58 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: redrider30 on December 19, 2017, 11:05:10 am
Bildo you are right on target with your comments and that's just what happened. I know it sounds bad to say but Saturday we shot terrible and played terrible and still won by 47 points. We played the exact same way Monday, with the exact same player rotations except we agreed to run the clock 5 more minutes in the 3rd quarter and played a halfcourt zone which we've never played for most of the game but we shot really well. If we had wanted to we could have scored 150 points. Still no word from Brookland on playing us next year. NEA Razorback olfan you might want to give your Coach a call and have him check his text messages.

Coach I'm sure he will answer when he is ready,  I'll ask him when I see him next .  I'm sure he will put Marmaduke on the schedule for next year.  And the Boys should play is also, we should do Jr Girls, Jr Boys, Sr Girls ,  Sr Boys

Next year we will be going to more of a 5A +  format Sr Girls then Sr Boys play on same night

I believe our Jr Girls and Boys are off until Jan , I'm sure they would love to get a game with Marmaduke

Bildo

I am not good with scoring 100 just to say you did... I am good with playing basketball and giving 100% effort whether it be the first string or third. So the kids shot the ball well? So the other team is not very good? My point is... you play the game and it doesn't matter what the final score is. I am not good with holding the ball so the score doesn't look "bad". The girls practice hard and deserve a chance to show the fruits of their labor. I am sorry that it is at the expense of another team. I they're that bad... don't go to the tournament

redrider30

I wish we would play all 4 too but don't have any say with the boys, only had girls so that's where I landed for years. Great competition and not very far for fans to drive. It would be great for both schools.

redrider30

Bildo you are right. We've had the most high powered offense in 2A in 2015 many many games we had in the high 80's and didn't score a 100 one time. Yesterday all that happened was with about 1 minute left we had 97 points and our kids knew the NEA record was 100 because it was posted on twitter a few days earlier by the NEA tournament announcer. Our coach choose to let them go ahead and shoot and they made a 3 and tied the record and by the way Palestine Wheatley never tried to hold the ball in the final minute to run out the clock they just kept playing also. Another factor in this is with higher seeded teams play really bad teams. NEA should look at giving more byes and letting lower seeds play each other or go to a 2 game guarantee so these teams could play someone who is more on their level.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: redrider30 on December 19, 2017, 11:33:52 am
Bildo you are right. We've had the most high powered offense in 2A in 2015 many many games we had in the high 80's and didn't score a 100 one time. Yesterday all that happened was with about 1 minute left we had 97 points and our kids knew the NEA record was 100 because it was posted on twitter a few days earlier by the NEA tournament announcer. Our coach choose to let them go ahead and shoot and they made a 3 and tied the record and by the way Palestine Wheatley never tried to hold the ball in the final minute to run out the clock they just kept playing also. Another factor in this is with higher seeded teams play really bad teams. NEA should look at giving more byes and letting lower seeds play each other or go to a 2 game guarantee so these teams could play someone who is more on their level.

Personally I like good competitive games

NEA Razorback olfan

December 19, 2017, 12:07:42 pm #38 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:10:05 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Who knows, Marmaduke may be able to beat Brookland  by 100pts
We are not very good , just a little better than PW

eamo8911

BIC girls have a lot of injuries?  Is that why they forfeited at halftime to EPC?

MikelB

Quote from: eamo8911 on December 19, 2017, 01:08:02 pm
BIC girls have a lot of injuries?  Is that why they forfeited at halftime to EPC?

Several girls with the flu. Personally feel like it was a poor judgment call to play them at all. Really all the coach accomplished was exposing a lot of other teams to the flu.

1995fan

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

Girls 12/23

Melbourne 52
Marmaduke 49
F

Rivercrest 46
Brookland 72
F

Riverside 67
ICC 19
F

Nettleton 63
Cave city 21
F

NEA Razorback olfan

Boys 12/23

Marmaduke 47
CRA 52
F

Brookland 43
Tuckerman 40
F

Marked Tree 82
Bay 47
F

Baller_34

How is CRA boys? I didnt think they were very good this year.

no mascot

CRA can play with just abt anybody if they are hitting shots. They have good size and decent athleticism.

Head Lion

Kinda like their young coach, kids seem to play together & real hard for him.

brown2010

Dukies play competition and lost. Bad coaching OR didnt press

RedWolf275

I know Bay is way down but Marked Tree looked really good in that 35 point beat down!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas