• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conway Christian...

Started by AAAspectator, March 11, 2010, 05:46:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAspectator

Is their rise the fall of Conway St. Joseph or Conway girls basketball? Young program with young coach. A lot of momentum. Thoughts on this?

Alien

St Joseph loses 4 senior starters that were back to back state runner-ups but have some good young players. Conway Christian's success is independent of the programs at St Joseph or Conway High. Just like St Joseph the large majority of their players have been there since grade school. The 2A 5 conference gets tougher next year with England and Magnet Cove coming in from 3A. Also class A finalist Poyen comes into this conference. The new tranfer rule requires that an athlete transfer before the seventh grade or sit out a year. With the size of the Conway district there are a lot of players that may never have playing time that could play at a smaller school. Conway High listed 27 players on their girls roster this year.

LC sports

how the heck does a 2nd year program in the AAA win a state title? Maybe Nance learned how to recruit well like her dad does at Guy-Perkins

LUVSPORTSALOT

March 12, 2010, 02:37:39 pm #3 Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:46:24 pm by LUVSPORTSALOT
The answer to your question is HARD WORK!!!!!Ah 3 of the 5 starters have been there since kindergarten, so maybe we should give credit where credit is due, the credit goes to the players, the great leadership and coaching of Ashley Nance and Conway Christian school. Those players have played AAU ball and upward basketball since 5th/6th grade so lets not go there!!!! It is amazing to me how those who lose due to just being out played  start blaming the refs or look for other reasons for the loss. Conway Christian Lady Eagles are the 2A State Champs because they worked hard and earned it. They are the best 2A team in the state!

hoopsfan

Glad to see CCS win especially since they stuck around an cheered for Hackett when they played CSJ

OwlFan4

This may be the toughest district/conference in 2A Girls next year.

Conway Christian-returns 4 of their top 6, & another talented Hobbs will be a sophomore.
Conway St. Joe-Has a Moix returning & tradition, tradition, tradition, enough said.
Poyen-Class A finalist who moves up in class-lose 4 Sr. starters, don't know about returning players.
England-Ranked #1 most of the season-returns twins who will be Jr-2 year starters.
Abundant Life-returns all 5 starters, and have at least 2 soph. who will be major help.  ALS finished tied for 3rd this season at 18-13.  Lost 5 games by 3 or less in the last 3 seconds of the game, including at home to Conway St. Joe.
Magnet Cove & Mtn. Pine round out the conference.

Records may not be as good next year, but 3 or 4 of these teams should make deep runs in the state tourney.

FaulknerFan

Is the CCS rise the fall of St. Joe or Conway? Absolutely NO! For St. Joe, there are a lot of younger siblings/cousins that are waiting to play. For Conway, the only thing that will hurt them is if the school splits. But then again, that might make them better.

The question now should be how committed is Coach Nance is to CCS. Will she be there next year or the year after? Yes, she does have the recruiting gene. How much she uses that is yet to be determined.  I would caution CCS that being in the AAA is going to be a lot harder than you realize. Success early may not give you an appreciation for what is up ahead. Coaches will remember being beat by 30 or more points. With private schools being under the AAA radar as it is, Coach Nance needs to realize that next year. Else, CCS and other private schools may not be in the AAA much longer. That could be the fall for everyone! 

LUVSPORTSALOT

March 14, 2010, 10:16:19 pm #7 Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:23:52 pm by LUVSPORTSALOT
FaulknerFan I do believe St. Joe beat a team by 30 points this year too, so I would have all your facts straight before writing like you know what you are talking about. Go back and look at all scores throughtout the years. I can't believe how losing brings the worse out in parents and fans. St. Joe has dominated the 2A for a couple of years and when they get some competition, people get ugly. They lost this year who knows what next year brings, grow up!!!!!! The recruiting issue has been beat to death, let it go. The AAA has rules in place for all school.  The CCS players worked hard for the title of State Championship, it's theirs, nothing you can say or do will change that. They were the better team. The color of green (jealous) doesn't become you so again get over it! And as far as Coach Nance goes, I am sure there are a lot of schools wishing they could recruit her to coach at their school.

Alien

March 14, 2010, 10:44:47 pm #8 Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:52:00 pm by Alien
St Joseph girls lop sided victories:

Episcopal by 28
Lutheran by 40
Abundant Life by 26
White County Central by 38
Quitman by 25
Hazen by 31
Bigelow by 32

They just are not accustomed to someone beating them by 30.

Their boys in the past several years have regularly mercy ruled their opponents by 30+ and do not seem to care about other coaches memories.

You need to put those stones back in your pockets and express your concerns with the Coaches at St Joseph first before you start throwing them at others.

OwlFan4

That win by 26 over Abundant Life was St. Joe's homecoming.  They hit a 3 at the buzzer at Abundant Life earlier in the year, after being behind the entire 4th quarter, to win by 3.
We're new to Abundant Life thise year, but it seems St. Joe has earned the respect of their foes over the years, even though they may have beaten teams by large margins.   CCS, the new kid on the block, however, has racked up a few enemies this year who won't forget their lack of respect for other conference foes.  Trash talking BEFORE games in front of opponent's parents in the opponent's gyms doesn't sit well with players and parents of other teams.
I think CCS will realize how important Mallory Clutts was to this team when she's gone next year.

Old Viking

So do the AL'S boys show respect of their opponents by beating

Lutheran by 34
Bigelow by 28
Conway Christian by 28
White County Central by 31
Bigelow by 40???????

Hypocrisy!!

OwlFan4

Quote from: Old Viking on March 15, 2010, 09:18:39 am

Lutheran by 34
Bigelow by 28
Conway Christian by 28
Bigelow by 40???????

Hypocrisy!!

In most, if not all the games u mentioned, ALS's starters were usually on the bench before half time. They also never trash talked before or even after games.

Old Viking

March 15, 2010, 04:13:10 pm #12 Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:15:43 pm by Old Viking
Quote from: OwlFan4 on March 15, 2010, 04:10:51 pm
Quote from: Old Viking on March 15, 2010, 09:18:39 am

Lutheran by 34
Bigelow by 28
Conway Christian by 28
Bigelow by 40???????

Hypocrisy!!

In most, if not all the games u mentioned, ALS's starters were usually on the bench before half time. They also never trash talked before or even after games.

Please give me one example of trash talking before or after games. I have been to every ALS vsCCS game and never witnessed players or coaches "trash talking"

Old Viking

OwlFan4 I am still waiting for your example of trash talking. Please provide players name or number and what was said.

Buck00

Quote from: hoopsfan on March 12, 2010, 07:14:47 pm<br />Glad to see CCS win especially since they stuck around an cheered for Hackett when they played CSJ<br />
I was at this game, don't know if this statement is true or not. I was busy watching the game, but what happened to the days when conference foes used to cheer for each other in the state tournament?

Old Viking

I cheered for every team in our conference when they played someone else. I know some CCS fans did not but most supported the 5-North conference team. That was not true of many CSJ fans when CCS girls were playing in regional and state. A large number cheered for Hughes in CCS girls  regional semifinals and for the other teams in all three games before the state finals. 

OwlFan4

Quote from: Old Viking on March 15, 2010, 04:45:31 pm
OwlFan4 I am still waiting for your example of trash talking. Please provide players name or number and what was said.

Prior to the home game at ALS, standing in the hallway near the concession stand line, one of the cheerleaders mothers overhead some of the players talking about how "lousy" ALS senior girls teams were. Also at CC, ALS players overheard CC in their locker room chanting about how they were going to kill ALS. I attended several games including the NLR game and cheered for CC since I knew some of the parents and since they were from our conference. I have stated all season long on this message board that CC is one of the best teams in the state and that Mallory Clutts is one of the most underrated players in the state.  I give credit where credit is due and they are a very good team but I'm not sure, based on their actions, that they respected their opponents very much.

Alien

March 15, 2010, 09:53:41 pm #17 Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:56:16 pm by Alien
Not Old Viking but what a team does and says to psyche themselves up is much different than trash talking to the other team or fans. Teams often have chants or cheers or have pregame routines to focus or prepare them for the game. I would consider trash talking being when a player, coach or fan addressing another player, coach or fan saying how "lousy" their team is or stating how bad they are going to beat or "kill' them(of course not literally kill). I doubt those teenage players comments were directed at the cheerleaders adult mother but only meant to charge each other up. I assure you that CCS girls played every game knowing that every opponent required their best effort and their Coach expected nothing less. The mental part of any sport is very important and because of that some teams are beaten before the first play.

"Me thinks you doth protest too much"

farfromgroovins

You girls get bent out of shape way too easy over some smack talk. Smack talk that is no more than what is done right here on this forum but when it carries over at the game it's like "OMG!!! Can you believe what they said?!?!?"

You should hang out a LR public school game where I've heard on more than one occurrence where a fan (and one time a parent of a player) told a player on the opposing team they were going to "put a cap in his rear."

Old Viking

March 16, 2010, 08:38:48 am #19 Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:25:24 am by Old Viking
I could not have said it better myself Alien and farfromgroovin you are exactly correct. Trash talking are comments directed at someone, fans or coach. I think it is time for "cheerleader mom" and "players" to put their big girl panties on.

DickeyB

All this crying will continue as long as Conway Chrisian keeps there coach. Last year, you could see this coming. It has arrived and there is more coming. This young lady was a great player and obviously a great coach. Get use to it.

mrk1027

Ok now, all this talk of Conway Christian and recruiting is getting old!  Just because a team is good AND private does not mean that they recruit!  I went to the school and knew everything that went on and everything is legit.  I give all credit to Coach Nance and those girls!  They have been in that gym countless times and log in more hours than most of the teams combined! 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: mrk1027 on March 28, 2010, 03:37:42 pm
Ok now, all this talk of Conway Christian and recruiting is getting old!  Just because a team is good AND private does not mean that they recruit!  I went to the school and knew everything that went on and everything is legit.  I give all credit to Coach Nance and those girls!  They have been in that gym countless times and log in more hours than most of the teams combined! 

Isn't coach nance related to coach hutchcraft up at guy??

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FaulknerFan on March 14, 2010, 09:56:17 pm
Is the CCS rise the fall of St. Joe or Conway? Absolutely NO! For St. Joe, there are a lot of younger siblings/cousins that are waiting to play. For Conway, the only thing that will hurt them is if the school splits. But then again, that might make them better.

The question now should be how committed is Coach Nance is to CCS. Will she be there next year or the year after? Yes, she does have the recruiting gene. How much she uses that is yet to be determined.  I would caution CCS that being in the AAA is going to be a lot harder than you realize. Success early may not give you an appreciation for what is up ahead. Coaches will remember being beat by 30 or more points. With private schools being under the AAA radar as it is, Coach Nance needs to realize that next year. Else, CCS and other private schools may not be in the AAA much longer. That could be the fall for everyone! 

Kick them out of the AAA to stop recruiting...wait a second!! That would mean they aren't regulated by the AAA and recruiting would be legal!...

D-Dawg

Hi, Guys!  I'm new to this blog, but have been watching you for a while.  I am amused by all the talk of recruiting at CCHS, especially since 3 of their starters have been going there since they were in pre-K!  And I also know that one of their top 6 just showed up this year from home school - they didn't know she existed before that (at, least the coaches and AD did not).  The fact is, (both) private schools offer what some parents think is a good environment in which to educate their kids and they offer some degree of freedom for parents to move their kids without moving physically (this is the American way).  Sometimes sports is part of the equation that attracts them, sometimes it is a side benefit. 

I have also noticed that there is a (probably a small) contingent of parents within each school that act a little superstitious in their beliefs about the other school (CCHS and St. Joe) - probably because they are rivals.  I know there are "urban legends" that circulate between the schools.  Having close relationships with parents and kids/athletes in both schools, I have seen/heard first-hand some baseless rumors that have circulated from one school regarding the other.

Both teams have very good players and coaches with different strengths and weaknesses.  When you get kids and coaches (and parents) psyched up and ready to rumble, you sometimes see and hear things people regret later.  And, usually, we hear the "he said, she said" which always gets inflated.

I look forward to seeing them play again next year!  And I hope that the parents will help the schools appreciate each other as worthy opponents while showing their best sportsmanship at all times.

bballfan00

Old Viking is reporting on the 7A site the following:

"Bre Hobbs and Clarie Hobbs are transferring to Conway to play for Coach Nance. They will be eligible immediately since the transfer rule does not apply when a student transfers from a private to a public school."

Fact or rumor?

HoopDreams

Seems like a bad decision since they probably won't make Conway good enough to win it all but if they stay at CC they would be the favorite to repeat.

Speaks highly of coach Nance that they would want to follow her though.

mrk1027

OwlFan4

Don't know that they would be a favorite to repeat had the Hobbs girls stayed.  CC is going to miss Clutts and their point guard Cheyenne more than people realize.

Clutts kept them in the game against NLR in the CAC tourney last year, until she picked up her 3rd foul mid-way through second quarter.  Older Hobbs girl was ineffective, to say the least, in that game.

Maybe wrong, have been before, but I don't think they will make much difference when Conway plays NLR.  NLR's beast of a Jr. will have her way in the paint against Hobbs.

Alien

Conway Christian has announced their new girls coach. Jeremy Carson,  he receieved his Masters degree and was an assistant under Coach Ron Marvell for five years while Coach Nance played there. He has also been on the athletic staff at Nichols State.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas