• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smackover boys basketball open

Started by WHITEchicken, April 15, 2017, 03:06:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITEchicken

Just heard the Smackover boys job was open. Anyone got any info on this?

old.dole

Haven't heard anything on this one yet personally. What do they have coming up from junior high and what's that sophomore and junior class look like

AirItOut21

There isn't a lot to work with based on what they had 7-12th this year. Maybe they had talent walking the halls that could help.

old.dole

Probably need someone that's going to stay awhile and develop kids

PapaHog

Probably need someone that likes a little mustard on their biscuits. Mhmmm.

WHITEchicken

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: AirItOut21 on April 15, 2017, 08:14:20 pm
There isn't a lot to work with based on what they had 7-12th this year. Maybe they had talent walking the halls that could help.

Most of the kids that were going to be good... Quit the team. Not going to put any names out there. But, that's just how it goes. Started the season with about 11-13 players. Ended the season with 7. With only three making any solid contributions.

old.dole

WHITEchicken

There are some kids that will put in some work. There aren't many that don't play football. With the combined conference thing now you start conference games while football season is still going so you have even less time to get basketball players ready after football is over. You use to get some time before starting conference.

old.dole

The whole season ends up coming down to one game in the end to make the regionals. Anyone heard any names being thrown in for this one yet. There has been some really good athletes come out of smackover over the years

PapaHog

What's the timeline on this thing looking like?

basketballcoach15

Proud Buckaroo

About 15 applicants so far. Not doing interviews yet. I don't know who the applicants are by name. I just know how many have applied.

basketballcoach15

Nice amount there. Would think there will be some interest.

old.dole

What's the timeline looking like. I'm sure they will want someone hired before school is out

basketballcoach15

What is the timeline for this job? I would think interviews would take place this week or next. Any front runners?

PapaHog

Not a lot of buzz around this job? What are we hearing?

basketballcoach15

Interviews next week. Someone told me they are interviewing young coaches from the area.

PapaHog

Well that's probably what Smackover needs.

old.dole

Would probably be good to get someone that's going to stay and build a program. Any names floating around?

basketballcoach15

Maybe someone from El Dorado. They have a great staff.

old.dole

Who from el dorado would be interested in leaving?  What other young coaches are in that area?

basketballcoach15

I said maybe. I don't know if any of the assistants would be interested. Gary Simmons usually has some top notch guys on staff. They made the finals in 6A this year. Maybe Smackover went after one. I asked some friends and they said the Caddo Hills coach applied for it and got an interview. Anyone know him?

AirItOut21

Quote from: basketballcoach15 on April 27, 2017, 01:25:04 pm
I said maybe. I don't know if any of the assistants would be interested. Gary Simmons usually has some top notch guys on staff. They made the finals in 6A this year. Maybe Smackover went after one. I asked some friends and they said the Caddo Hills coach applied for it and got an interview. Anyone know him?

I am pretty sure he was an assistant at El Dorado before Caddo Hills. He has only been at Caddo Hills for a year.

basketballcoach15

Wonder why he is applying after one year. Hmm.

PapaHog

Supposedly he applied for the Spring Hill job too. Idk

basketballcoach15

I heard they ran off a long time coach last year. Makes me think they are doing it again.

old.dole

This tied to football or a spring sport?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: old.dole on April 27, 2017, 02:16:41 pm
This tied to football or a spring sport?

No...

All Coaches are one sport coaches now at Smackover..

We made it a point two years ago to keep everyone separate and to stick to one thing.

Only other Coach that does two-sports is Coach Steele.

He does Softball/Defense for football.

We hired BJ Greene for baseball two years ago almost to get Strickland away from baseball/football.

Coach Preston was the defensive guy for football during the championship game, but after that season he got moved to just basketball.

basketballcoach15

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on April 27, 2017, 03:11:48 pm
No...

All Coaches are one sport coaches now at Smackover..

We made it a point two years ago to keep everyone separate and to stick to one thing.

Only other Coach that does two-sports is Coach Steele.

He does Softball/Defense for football.

We hired BJ Greene for baseball two years ago almost to get Strickland away from baseball/football.

Coach Preston was the defensive guy for football during the championship game, but after that season he got moved to just basketball.
Seems to be working great for the last 2 years.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Oldman on April 27, 2017, 03:56:31 pm
Seems to be working great for the last 2 years.

Well......

The basketball team had 2 seniors last year.

Baseball team has 5 seniors.

Football team actually did a lot better than what people expected after losing 21 seniors.

Softball team has 3 seniors and they are 24-2.

It takes time to adjust to all this.

Proud Buckaroo

Coach Preston just finished his masters degree. He wasn't fired. He's just exploring his options.

old.dole

Preston is a good guy. Going to do good things wherever he's headed

OB11

The only problem with limiting coaches to one sport is that they only get paid for one sport. A lot of coaches out there like coaching 2 sports because it means they make a little bit more money.

Did Smackover raise stipends when they went to one sport for their coaches?

Proud Buckaroo

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OB11 on April 28, 2017, 09:11:24 am
The only problem with limiting coaches to one sport is that they only get paid for one sport. A lot of coaches out there like coaching 2 sports because it means they make a little bit more money.

Did Smackover raise stipends when they went to one sport for their coaches?
Another problem could be coaches trying to get kids to play their sport only.

old.dole

You can't have that at small schools

WHITEchicken

So bad info being put out here. All the male coaches coach multiple sports at Smackover. And their softball team has 10 seniors not just 3. Coach Preston did not get ran off.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: WHITEchicken on April 29, 2017, 12:41:09 pm
So bad info being put out here. All the male coaches coach multiple sports at Smackover. And their softball team has 10 seniors not just 3. Coach Preston did not get ran off.
You saying Proudbuck doesn't know what he is talking about?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: WHITEchicken on April 29, 2017, 12:41:09 pm

Let me rephrase that.

Three seniors that start... 

Never said coach Preston got ran off. I said HE is exploring his options. It was his choice.

Tell me which head coach at Smackover coaches multiple sports?

Steele coaches defense and coaches softball. (The only one that coaches multiple sports that I am aware of.)

Strickland was head coach of senior high football And got away from baseball.

Preston was head basketball coach and was no longer the defensive coach. 

BJ Greene was hired to get Strickland away from baseball.

No idea who the track coach is... So, that could be one of them. 

My information is far from bad. I know several board members. As a matter of fact, I'm very close to the president of the school board.

Proud Buckaroo

Now last year. I knew Strickland was on the baseball staff to assist Coach Greene. But, he was not the head coach..

WHITEchicken

Cranford coaches football and baseball
Greene coaches football and baseball
Osborne coaches football and track
Preston coaches basketball and track
Steele coaches football and softball
Rowton coaches basketball and softball
Bishop coaches basketball, track and football
Stegall coaches football and basketball
Strickland coaches football and baseball
This is based on this years paid stipends.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: WHITEchicken on April 29, 2017, 06:37:21 pm
Cranford coaches football and baseball
Greene coaches football and baseball
Osborne coaches football and track
Preston coaches basketball and track
Steele coaches football and softball
Rowton coaches basketball and softball
Bishop coaches basketball, track and football
Stegall coaches football and basketball
Strickland coaches football and baseball
This is based on this years paid stipends.

Did Stegall not go back to JC? I'm pretty sure he got hired there as a PE coach.

WHITEchicken

Dang it PB. Yes he is leaving to go to JC. Did you read the whole post? As per this years stipends.

Proud Buckaroo

I read it all. I was just asking if he left or not.

All I know is, I was told that Smackover was trying to get away from having Coaches with multiple head coach positions so that we could have individual coaches for each sport.

I really didn't know all the Coaches who assisted in each sport. M

PapaHog

Maybe they just don't want a head coach being a head coach of another sport. Maybe you are both right.

WHITEchicken

We are both right. I thought PB meant that no one was coaching multiple sports. If what you were saying was head coaching then you are 100% correct. Which it makes sense.

basketballcoach15

WHITEchicken

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas