• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Wrestling Thread

Started by VHSCoach2, January 29, 2016, 11:06:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

Just about to finish up WrestleMania V in my chronological viewing. The event where the Mega Powers exploded! Pretty lackluster show overall. It was awarded with "Worst Major Wrestling Show" by Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards in 1989.

jbtiger73

I've actually been following the evolution of the undertaker. Via pay per views. From his debut at survivor series, up until now. The errie character that wouldn't talk, to the less errie but still dangerous character that would talk. To the ministry of darkness taker, to the American bad butt. He's definitely evolved his character better than anyone that I've ever seen in the history of wrestling, period.

BigLion10

The Bad A version was my favorite ole Big Evil himself with that chain lol

jbtiger73

Honestly, I loved the ministry of darkness undertaker. The theme music and the shredder looking jacket. LoL

VHSCoach2

Bobby Roode and Roderick Strong put on a heck of a match for the NXT Championship on the 400th episode of NXT earlier tonight. 25 minutes that I am glad I took the time to watch.

jbtiger73

Can't wait to see Roode vs. Drew McIntire at Takeover during summer slam weekend. BTW, did you catch the rap battle between the new day and the usos. It was actually interesting. Even if you weren't a hip hop fan. It definitely got kinda personal.

VHSCoach2

AJ Styles just defeated Kevin Owens to win the United States Championship at a Raw/Smackdown joint house show at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

jbtiger73

Yeah. I heard they did that to set up a rematch between the two at battleground. Also to set up a Summer Slam match with Shinske Nakamura. This was the best possible way to make that match happen.

1-Adam-12

July 08, 2017, 02:38:45 pm #208 Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:58:10 pm by 1-Adam-12
When younger I loved watching Mid-South, Memphis and Dallas wrestling. I could still name many of the wrestlers of that era.  The AWA, when I could catch it as well.

In the Monday Night Wars I watched whichever one I thought had the better matchups that night. However during the nWo run it was WCW most of the time. 

I went to a Monday Nitro in Memphis during its heyday.  That was when TNT re-ran it after the live show was over and I got to see myself holding up a sign.

When they merged I continued to watch Raw until it got way too over the top for my liking, then I stopped watching wrestling, period.

Last Monday I decided, what the heck, I'll catch the last hour or so of Raw.  Finn Balor/Cesaro was for me kind of a throwback to that time.  Very entertaining match. Didn't care for some of the antics involving Strowman later, but the show overall has improved.

Don't like what the Raw creative team are doing to Bayley though. It's as if they've said you've had a championship and now you're done.  IMO she still has a lot to offer.

jbtiger73

I'm just hoping that they don't do that with Auska whenever she comes. Bobby Roode definitely should be a WWE champ or universal champ very soon. Basically giving him the same career respect as they gave AJ Styles.

VHSCoach2

Great Balls of Fire was a very good show. The best Raw-exclusive pay-per-view since the Draft last year.

In order of enjoyment for me:
Sasha/Alexa
Braun/Roman
Wyatt/Rollins
Dublin-07/Hardys
Neville/Tozawa
Lesnar/Joe
Cass/Enzo
Slater/Hawkins

1-Adam-12

That's more like it!

Maybe the powers that be realized what a property they have in Bayley.

jbtiger73

Seen some of the names in the Mae Young classic, women's tournament. Definitely hope some of them make the main roster eventually. Honestly, they have enough to actually create their own show. But I doubt WWE would consider that. Kinda like how they did with 205 live after their tournament was over with.

Longfellow

If you guys want some entertaining wrestling videos, go to YouTube and look up, "WWE Brawl for All". It's literally just wrestlers in the ring Boxing each other. There is a great one between Bart Gunn and Bradshaw

jbtiger73

There was genuine heat between him and Bradshaw. Also other guys in the locker room as well, for Bradshaw being a bully. So when he got knocked the you know what out, people were celebrating. Lol. But these were legitimate boxing matches. No angles or story lines. Speaking of Angle, about his story line on Raw, there are reports that Dixie Carter my be in WWE, and that she is the mystery woman. Raw is in Nashville this week. That's where she makes her home, and where the impact wrestling headquarters are. So just saying. But I've heard a lot of different and weird things about that storyline.

BigLion10

I remember that Gunn ended up winning and got to fight Butterbean at WM 15. He got KOd in like 30 seconds haha

VHSCoach2

I'm really excited to watch the Mae Young Classic when it gets released on the Network. I'm hoping to avoid spoilers for it, and I have been successful at doing so thus far (except for two first round matches).

Longfellow

Quote from: BigLion10 on July 15, 2017, 09:30:29 am
I remember that Gunn ended up winning and got to fight Butterbean at WM 15. He got KOd in like 30 seconds haha
I read something that said the whole point of it was to make Gunn a top-flight star. And they got that far just for him to get demolished by Butterbean at Wrestlemania

jbtiger73

Yep. I remember. He just didn't have the charisma as Billy had. And more times than not in the wrestling business, that will ultimately get you over.

BigLion10

What y'all think of Angles big announcement??

jbtiger73

Definitely didn't see that one coming. But his partner was already getting a singles push on smackdown live. So I'm guessing this is his big push. Being paired with Angle. Major boost for this young man's career

VHSCoach2

There are some interesting rumors making the rounds today...

1) Brock Lesnar will be returning to UFC for another fight. He recently re-entered the USADA drug testing pool and will likely get an waiver on his failed drug test from July 2016.

2) WWE is considering bringing back Saturday Night's Main Event sometime after SummerSlam.

3) The World's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) are rumored to be the tag team that are constantly trashing Breezango's office and stealing their stuff.

jbtiger73

That would be some very great and interesting stuff. I knew the Brock and UFC thing would happen again eventually. They definitely need some heavyweight star power there. And with Angle back in WWE (although on a different show), and with American Alpha splitting up, they would be the perfect tag team to come in and make some noise. The Hardy's and The World's Greatest Tag Team are just the two teams to help both mediocre tag team divisions. Just hate how WWE loves to split promising tag teams up.

VHSCoach2

July 23, 2017, 12:24:29 pm #223 Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:26:02 pm by VHSCoach2
Battleground tonight. Should be a good show for the Smackdown brand. Here are my predictions:

-Tye Dillinger over Aiden English.

-Sami Zayn over Mike Kanellis.

-Tamina over Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair, Natalya, and Lana in the Fatal Five-Way Elimination Match to become the number one contender for Naomi's Smackdown Women's Championship.

-AJ Styles over Kevin Owens to retain the United States Championship.

-Shinsuke Nakamura over Baron Corbin via disqualification.

-The New Day (Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods wrestling and Big E on the outside) over The Usos to win the Smackdown Tag Team Championship.

-John Cena over Rusev in the Flag Match.

-Jinder Mahal over Randy Orton in the Punjabi Prison Match to retain the WWE Championship.

Other: I'm going way out on a limb and predicting that The World's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) will return tonight and be revealed as the ones who have been trashing Breezango's office.

jbtiger73

I've heard other sources say that it may be Sanity from NXT. But I seriously doubt that. Those call ups usually happen after WrestleMania, summer slam, or Royal rumble.

jbtiger73

What would be cool, if Charlotte wins the match, while Naomi is at ringside. Then they do the faceoff in the ring after the match. Then Tamina and Lana attacks both of them. Then Carmella comes out and cashes in. Sets up a triple threat at summer slam, where a returning Ellsworth, helps Carmella retain in her hometown. I should definitely be a match booker in WWE. Lol😉

VHSCoach2

While Battleground certainly wasn't the best show, it definitely wasn't as bad as the Internet Wrestling Community is making it out to be.

In terms of enjoyment for me:

The New Day vs. The Usos
Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles
Natalya vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch vs. Lana vs. Tamina
Jinder Mahal vs. Randy Orton
Aiden English vs. Tye Dillinger
Sami Zayn vs. Mike Kanellis
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Baron Corbin
John Cena vs. Rusev

jbtiger73

Honestly, I would actually switch #4 and #5. The entire arena was quiet. And it was in Philly. One of the most hostile fan bases in the country. They should burn the Punjabi Prison. Because none of those matches lived up to expectations.

1-Adam-12

IMO, most of Raw's matches tonight were pretty meh, except the last two. 

The 2x3 tag match was quite good but Bayley/Sasha was even better.

VHSCoach2

Smackdown Live rebounded quite nicely after that Battleground PPV on Sunday.

Chris Jericho returning was quite a nice surprise! Hopefully he'll get a short feud for SummerSlam. I'm not sure when Fozzy goes on tour again.

All four matches tonight were fun to watch. The only negative was that there wasn't a Fashion Files segment, but I guess it'd be hard to do one since Fandango was 'kidnapped' at Battleground.

Longfellow

Fozzy goes back on tour in the middle of September

jbtiger73

Just hope they don't have a Summer Slam full of triple threat or fatal 4 way matches. There is also a major rumor going around, that Cena is to be added to the fatal 4 way, making it a 5 way. Don't know how true. But been hearing that. Especially with the Roman and Cena Twitter war going on. Would be perfect opponent for  Reigns to turn heel on. Making the argument that Cena is all about taking opportunities or jumping into the title scene because of his stature with the company.

jbtiger73

Oh God. It's "Super Cena" vs Nakamura next week for a shot at Mahal. Let the burial begin. He's gonna be a 17 time champ eventually. Mainly due to his loyalty to WWE. Also because he has the blessings from Ric Flair to do so. In popularity, I still don't know if he's passed Hogan yet. Mainly due to Hogan being able to transition from the, say your prayers and take your vitamins type of guy, to the screw you, Jimi Hindrix theme song, sticking it to the fans type of guy. And as great as Cena is, if he was in the spot where Hogan was, when they changed the face of wrestling, I just don't think it would have gotten over that much, if at all. Hogan as even a baby face, was never considered a "clean cut" guy. That's the reason why I still say Hogan was more over. Because he attracted two different types of audiences. but the ironic thing is, is that Stone Cold still remains the biggest draw, as far as Merchandise and ticket sales goes, in wrestling history.

1-Adam-12

Cena was never "over" with me.  I am one of those who even in his prime almost couldn't care less. 

Yes I will give it up that he was/is a great athlete.  But he was also one of the reasons I gave up watching wrestling for four years until a few weeks ago.

He will probably win the match because it's likely scripted for him to do so.  And many hardcore Cena fans will buy into that.

But many think WWE needs a new "face of the promotion" as it were.  Here's what's interesting:  Some of those want it to be Bayley, at least on the Raw side of it. 

Makes me wonder if the Raw creative team are trying to use the Kurt Angle/Jason Jordan storyline to make Jordan exactly that.  If that's the case, so far it's not doing well.

As an aside, it saddened me to see that Big Show has seemingly been reduced to a "jobber for the stars".

VHSCoach2

I honestly think Shinsuke Nakamura will defeat John Cena next Tuesday.  Cena will get the win back somewhere down the road, but I think Nakamura gets the win first, much like most of Cena's recent feuds (not counting Rusev).

jbtiger73

Or he'll get some type of fluky win due to outside interfere by Baron Corbin. WWE logic is weird. He has the MITB briefcase. Why would he care who wins. But they may book him to interfere, to avenge his loss last week. Which may turn a lot of fans away. Worst case scenario is that they have a triple threat match at summer slam. If it was any other competitor, I wouldn't be as upset. But someone like Nakamura, definitely doesn't deserve the Cena burial.

jbtiger73

Was watching some old WCW matches on the network. Who remembers when it was a DQ to throw someone over the top rope? Lol. Even as a kid, I thought that was a rediculous rule. One of those old "rasslin" rules.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: jbtiger73 on July 30, 2017, 01:25:17 pm
Was watching some old WCW matches on the network. Who remembers when it was a DQ to throw someone over the top rope? Lol. Even as a kid, I thought that was a rediculous rule. One of those old "rasslin" rules.
Yeah I remember that rule. Used to see it all the time on the old Mid South wrestling shows

jbtiger73

Crazy fact; WWE took control of USWA wrestling out of Memphis, back in the early 90's. That's why you started seeing Jerry Lawler on WWE programming. They would sorta use that as the "developmental" brand.they tested storylines there before they brought them to the mainstream. Acts like ,Too Cool (without Rikishi), the Nation of Domination, men on a mission, papa shango, and others. With the nation of Domination storyline in uswa, they would always talk about Farooq. And how he's the leader, and that he's coming soon. But the problem, was that they couldn't decide who was going to be Farooq. Until they settled on Ron Simmons. The weird part, was they debuted him as the Spartan character shortly after. So I don't know what the logic behind that was.

1-Adam-12

July 31, 2017, 10:15:51 pm #239 Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:19:12 pm by 1-Adam-12
Oh. man.  This Raw was tough to sit through after the first 40 minutes or so.

Hardys match was very good, probably should have been the main event. Sheamus vs. Rollins had its moments too. Cruiserweights were very exciting.

I don't know, three big guys lumbering about in a triple threat just isn't my cup of tea.  But a good set up for Reigns.

At first thought I didn't get the premise behind Bayley vs Nia Jax, but after thinking about it I see.  Bayley first put Alexa in her place and then outsmarted Jax for the count out.  Looks like The Hugger is getting a pretty hard push.

I didn't bother with the last match bc for one thing I can't stand Enzo.

VHSCoach2

10 Fascinating WWE SummerSlam Facts:

1988:

1989:

1990:

1991:

1992:

1993:

1994:

1995:

1-Adam-12

Bayley may be out of SS.  Looks like she legit hurt her shoulder when Nia Jax dropped her at one point in the match.  Going to evaluate tomorrow.

Nakamura did beat Cena, and might have hurt him as well.

If both are serious, WWE is going to have to scramble.  It doesn't affect the status of Nakamura, but Cena is one of the faces of the whole promotion and to lose him for any length of time would be bad.

Bayley's injury, if it's serious enough for her to miss SS (and she will certainly miss Raw next week), may lead to Alexa vs. Sasha, and maybe Jax in there as well.

VHSCoach2

August 02, 2017, 08:13:02 am #242 Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:15:45 am by VHSCoach2
Nia Jax is dangerous in the ring. I am not sure why Vince McMahon wanted to bring her up from NXT so soon. There are so many women that are better, safer workers than she is. She should not be anywhere near the title picture, or on TV for that matter, until she learns how to clean up her act in the ring.

I think Cena will be fine. After the match, Nakamura went up to him and said, "I'm sorry," to which Cena replied, "Don't be sorry," before he raised Nakamura's head. After Smackdown went off the air, and before 205 Live aired on the WWE Network, Baron Corbin came out and attacked both Nakamura and Cena. Cena fought back and sent Corbin through the announce table with an AA. If his neck was seriously injured, I don't think he would have been able to lift Corbin up for that move. He'll probably be sore, but his neck is so massive from weight training that I think he'll be fine.

jbtiger73

I love Nia. They just book her all wrong. I definitely would turn her face. Have her in a program with Bliss. And turn Sasha heel and have her against bayley, kinda what we're all expecting anyway. I'm still ticked off at wwe for making an aging giant, in the big show, vs big Cass. Someone who has main event potential, but nowhere near it yet, as the main event for raw. Ending the show on a super dull note. You can even tell that the audience was kinda like, "oh, was that the main event". Just like how most of us were. I understand that you want to give guys a chance. But you're on the road to a major ppv event. You should want to put your best foot forward each week leading up to the event. Outside of the main event at summer Slam for raw, everyone else seemed to take a bit of a step back.

1-Adam-12

August 02, 2017, 03:42:21 pm #244 Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:42:43 pm by 1-Adam-12
Many are asking that Nia Jax be sent back to NXT.  Clumsiness and lack of ring polish have been cited.  But you have to take into account, that's one huge girl.

That makes three that Nia has put on the shelf in the past year:  Sasha Banks, Charlotte Flair, now Bayley.  Those are three of the most popular ladies WWE has and I can understand why the fans feel that way. 

But they probably won't "demote" her as it were, because Alexa Bliss's popularity has taken off (even past Bayley's) and Nia is feeding off that.

Many are indeed seeing a heel turn soon for Sasha against Bayley, but that may have to be put off depending on recovery time for The Huggable One.  I have thought about the reverse as well but I don't think it would be a good idea to turn Bayley heel at this time.  Not while Bayley is getting a lot of sympathy for her injury.

This may give Emma a chance to get back into the rotation, and it may also be the time for Asuka to be called up.

As for Show, I am afraid his days are numbered in WWE and that's sad for me.  I can remember when he was the biggest and baddest on the block.  Now other giants like Braun Strowman and Big Cass have passed him by.

jbtiger73

I think Enzo is hurting Cass right now. He completely needs to move on from him if he wants to really be more successful. Enzo's popularity is overshadowing cass's come up. After summer slam, they definitely need to put him in a feud with a Roman reigns or someone of that sort.

thebigshot

I really don't see anything special about Shinsuke Nakamura. I kept up with him while he was at NXT and I don't see what everyone deal is with this guy and why they are hanging off this guys nuts for. I think he looks like a Chinese verison of Michael Jackson and looks retarded. I think Smackdown screwed up big time by allowing him to get over Cena to go on at SummerSlam. I'm going to call it right now that Nakamura will win the title at Summer Slam and will be world champion for a total of 3 minutes because Barron Corbin will come in and cash it in on him.

We all know Lesnar is going to lose the title at Summer Slam. WWE needs to come up with better ideas on writing this crap. It's getting worse and worse it seems like. The Miz needs a good title run and I think he would be a great heal with the title. His a good heal at the moment on Smackdown those other clowns aren't doing much. Ambrose got drafted to Raw was a joke, they should had either brought Seth Rollins over. Smackdown is getting weak at the moment, Raw has all the size in the world and is stack at the moment at that. If Raw and Smackdown went fought each other, Raw would get it hands down.

VHSCoach2

10 Fascinating Facts about SummerSlam 1996:

1-Adam-12

The order of the matches on Monday was horrible.

The way it should have been, IMO:

Samson v. Kalisto
6-man cruiserweight match
Big Cass v. Big Show
Bayley v. Nia Jax
Sheamus v. Rollins
Hardys v. Anderson & Gallows
Reigns v. Strowman v. Joe

BigLion10

The big question I'm wondering about is does Brock Lesnar lose at SS to go back to the octagon to fight Jon Jones??

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas