• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

El Dorado Wildcat Football 2013

Started by Temprees, July 28, 2013, 08:18:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Temprees

July 28, 2013, 08:18:42 am Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:26:36 am by Temprees
Those who have previously provided info about El Dorado football have been abnormally quiet. We are just a few days from the start of fall practice.  I have enjoyed your takes on your team in the past. Come on guys, lets get the season started.  What are your expectations for the 2013 Wildcats?  Where do you believe the Wildcats stand in the 6A Championship pecking order?

The Future

El Dorado and Greenwood are the 2 best in 6A I believe. Whether they go undefeated through the regular season or have a few losses, they will both make semis at least. The only way Greenwood season will end is if Eldo beats them. The only way Eldos season ends is if Greenwood beats them.

gatecrasher

Frankly I just don't see Scott Reed being shut out of WMS for a second straight season. We will be much more physical up front on both sides of the football, and should be much improved on defense.

Several sophomores will be stepping into starting roles and it could be another slow start for us, but we will be rolling by midseason.

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and when it doesn't hurt to type I'll say more. All I'm saying right now is while 9-4 and a trip to the semis is a great season for most teams, it is unsatisfactory by El Dorado standards. I expect order to be restored in Class 6A this fall.

PS: Pine Bluff is gonna be really good again too. Don't forget about them.

7AFBFAN

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 28, 2013, 12:53:06 pm
Several sophomores will be stepping into starting roles and it could be another slow start for us, but we will be rolling by midseason.

^ Excuse number 1 for weeks 1 and 2 ^

Seriously hope you recover quickly Gate and do hope your boys get off to a slow start.  ;D

ricepig

Frankly I just don't see Scott Reed being shut out of WMS for a second straight season. We will be much more physical up front on both sides of the football, and should be much improved on defense.

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and when it doesn't hurt to type I'll say more. All I'm saying right now is while 9-4 and a trip to the semis is a great season for most teams, it is unsatisfactory by El Dorado standards. I expect order to be restored in Class 6A this fall.

I need to have rotator cuff surgery, but it only hurts golfing and shooting hoops. I've put it off hoping rest and rehab would fix it, no such luck.

urban legend2

I think PB and ED are pretty much in the same boat. Not many returning starters but plenty of potential, especially up front and on D.

zebrafan

Y'all's sophomore class is very good...as for PB very talented but extremely young, will take us a little bit to get going.

xtremewildcat

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on July 28, 2013, 01:32:43 pm

Seriously hope you recover quickly Gate and do hope your boys get off to a slow start.  ;D

We are loaded. Last year I predicted we would go 6-4 and win one playoff game. Scott Reed proved me wrong.
This year 9-1 and we will win it all.

You are a Cat follower, what is your prediction.

xtremewildcat

We all know PB, GW, and ED will be up there. Who else will be the team to push for the Rock?

zebradynasty

Watch out for LH well coached team! The unknown...Texarkana? Not sure what to expect from them.

gatecrasher

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2013, 01:46:14 pm

I need to have rotator cuff surgery, but it only hurtcs golfing and shooting hoops. I've put it off hoping rest and rehab would fix it, no such luck.
I had no choice. Only thing that was gonna fix it was surgery. I also had a ruptured bicep tendon, which is very painful.

I hurt mine in the gym. Never do bench press on a Smith machine. It's conducive to shoulder injuries.

DogsWin7

Quote from: xtremewildcat on July 28, 2013, 05:16:17 pm

We are loaded. Last year I predicted we would go 6-4 and win one playoff game. Scott Reed proved me wrong.

Aren't you the same one who said that Eldo would beat Greenwood last year?    Yeah...that's what I thought.  :) but I am looking forward to this years game. 

Ahsalumn

Not that we can judge a season on 7 on 7; But didn't LH beat Eldo a couple of weeks ago in Ruston? Are we going to count out a team that offensively beat: Allen TX, Fayetteville, ElDo, and an OKC team (whose name escapes me)? Say what you will but LH is that edgy sleeper team that has potential to win a lot of games and maybe even make it to WMS.

RD™

Quote from: Ahsalumn on July 29, 2013, 09:36:46 pm
Not that we can judge a season on 7 on 7; But didn't LH beat Eldo a couple of weeks ago in Ruston? Are we going to count out a team that offensively beat: Allen TX, Fayetteville, ElDo, and an OKC team (whose name escapes me)? Say what you will but LH is that edgy sleeper team that has potential to win a lot of games and maybe even make it to WMS.
7 on 7s mean nothing come October  November

Baitshop

Quote from: RD on July 29, 2013, 09:53:29 pm

BINGO...

RD™

Quote from: Baitshop on July 29, 2013, 10:12:40 pm

BINGO...
Except nachos they always matter.

Baitshop

July 29, 2013, 10:52:50 pm #16 Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:54:52 pm by Baitshop
Well DUH...!!    ;)

Ahsalumn

And that makes LH not a sleeper team? And nothing? We can't go "Man that QB is clutch against zone" I'm not saying LH is for sure going to play for the title; I'm saying they have great potential and shouldn't be taken lightly. Their QB is tough stuff. He picked apart a cocky Allen D. I watched it. You watch it. Is he Tom Brady? Probably not. Never met the kid outside of shaking his hand at shoot out. He's small, but his accuracy looked good

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ahsalumn on July 30, 2013, 08:44:41 am

And that makes LH not a sleeper team? And nothing? We can't go "Man that QB is clutch against zone" I'm not saying LH is for sure going to play for the title; I'm saying they have great potential and shouldn't be taken lightly. Their QB is tough stuff. He picked apart a cocky Allen D. I watched it. You watch it. Is he Tom Brady? Probably not. Never met the kid outside of shaking his hand at shoot out. He's small, but his accuracy looked good

I already got you covered on this. I agree that LH is a sleeper. From what I understand they do not have much size this year but their 2 main issues last year was QB (inconsistent) and lack of speed in the secondary/defense. Sounds like the may have solved one of those issues

urban legend2

I like what you're saying Ahsalumn and I'm with you on the fact that LH is a sleeper team. After the struggles of last year, I kind of expect them to bounce back this year. Not often a Clay-coached team is middle of the pack in back-to-back seasons. But I don't think you can legitimately say the QB "is clutch against the zone" or anything else as it pertains to 7 on 7. His accuracy and ability to correctly read shell defenses can be noted though. And that's not taking anything away from the kid. It's just that it's a completely different zone defense to read and "be clutch against" when he's under duress from linemen and blitzing linebackers. From everything I've read about LH this summer, they've got potential to be pretty good. I'm with you on that too.

7AFBFAN

The 6A is down this year so several teams may sneak into contention. LH always fields a decent to good team so this would be no surprise. Expect to hear something from Texarkana this year as well.

Just_Win_Baby

El Dorado will be 2nd in 6A South and make it to Quarterfinals this year. Too young on Defense and we dont have a proven QB that can throw the ball down the field and no running game to speak of. Sorry, but this is the truth.

Pr8hd

I guess the 6A South (Playoff Combination) top 2 have home field advantage throughout this year, right? 6A playoffs are so confusing  :-\

So, if Greenwood were to make it to the semi's they could be potentially have to travel...to ED, LH, PB or even Texarkana. Glad I have Fridays and Saturdays off just in case. 

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on July 31, 2013, 07:37:25 am
I guess the 6A South (Playoff Combination) top 2 have home field advantage throughout this year, right? 6A playoffs are so confusing  :-\

So, if Greenwood were to make it to the semi's they could be potentially have to travel...to ED, LH, PB or even Texarkana. Glad I have Fridays and Saturdays off just in case.

Nope, the top seed in the South/West(Siloam) and the top seed from the East/Central will have home field advantage through the playoffs.

Pr8hd

July 31, 2013, 08:25:52 am #24 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:36:54 am by Pr8hd
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, could not remember if this alternated like the 5A does.

xtremewildcat

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on July 29, 2013, 08:32:32 pm
Quote from: xtremewildcat on July 28, 2013, 05:16:17 pm

Aren't you the same one who said that Eldo would beat Greenwood last year?    Yeah...that's what I thought.  :) but I am looking forward to this years game. 

With all due respect. Once training camp starts, last years success is irrelevant. 

OBTW, didn't you bet me you guys were gonna beat us by 35?

DogsWin7

What ??? 

"WE" both have stated....a new season is upon us.   I will once again support Greenwood for the win.  It should be a good game.   I'm just excited for the season the start.:)

gatecrasher

Quote from: Just_Win_Baby on July 31, 2013, 05:57:56 am
El Dorado will be 2nd in 6A South and make it to Quarterfinals this year. Too young on Defense and we dont have a proven QB that can throw the ball down the field and no running game to speak of. Sorry, but this is the truth.
You either haven't been paying attention or are going by gossip you're hearing down there.

We didn't have a proven QB in 08. Went to title game. New QB in 09. Won it all. New QB in '11. Won it all.

It don't matter who we have, don't have, etc. As long as Scott Reed is the head coach of the El Dorado Wildcats we will be a state championship contender.

Jeep71

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on July 30, 2013, 10:55:26 am
The 6A is down this year so several teams may sneak into contention. LH always fields a decent to good team so this would be no surprise. Expect to hear something from Texarkana this year as well.
Funny that's what you said last year. ::)

7AFBFAN

And the 6A was down last year. One or two teams doesn't make a classification.

This year GW, PB, El Dorado, and Jonesboro will be down from last year. LH is no where near their glory years and neither is Texarkana. 

xtremewildcat

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 01, 2013, 01:04:07 pm

This year GW, PB, El Dorado, and Jonesboro will be down from last year. LH is no where near their glory years and neither is Texarkana. 

How do you tell if a classification was down? Just askin.

7AFBFAN

Quote from: xtremewildcat on August 01, 2013, 01:08:26 pm

"This year GW, PB, El Dorado, and Jonesboro will be down from last year. LH is no where near their glory years and neither is Texarkana."

When you can say the top 6 teams in a classification are down from their normal level of fielding a team in my  OPINION ONLY that classification is down.

Let's use 7A for example, Bennie and Fayetteville are down this year but we still have NLR, Harber, and SS who will not field down teams. Most will still say 7A is down since Bennie and Fayetteville is down but I disagree.

Anyway the 6A will have plenty of chances to prove they are not down. El Dorado get's to play CF and SS. GW get's to play SS, Conway. PB plays NLR.

gatecrasher

This year GW, PB, El Dorado, and Jonesboro
will be down from last year. LH is no where near their glory years and neither is Texarkana. 
I'm not worried about Jonesboro. PB shoved humility down their throat in the semis.

GW returns the state's top QB and 4/5 of their offensive line. They have holes to fill on D but with their style of play, defense doesn't really matter. All they need is 1-2 key stops per game. As long as Rick Jones is running things, they will always be title contenders.

PB moves up a jr high that hasn't lost in 2 years if I remember right. They are the consensus pick to win the South and also to win the 6A championship. Doesn't mean they will of course, but they have the edge in athleticism at this early stage.

El Dorado has size up front on both sides of the ball, unlike last year. Lots of new faces (only 6 starters return, 2 on offense) so it will be several sophs that will be stepping up. Looks real good for the Wildcats these next 3 years. Like Greenwood, as long as the current staff is in place, we will always contend. 9-4 and a semifinal appearance would satisfy most programs, but that is subpar for us. I don't see Scott Reed being shut out of the title game a 2nd straight season.

I just don't see Lake Hamilton being down two years in a row. 7-5 doesn't cut it for the Wolves.

Texarkana needs a new coach IMO. Ledford isn't cutting it. Too much talent there for them to be as bad as they have been the last two years.

Not worried about Bryant. The South's top 2 teams (6A teams) beat them last year. It'll happen again, and the Hornets will be early exiters from the 7A playoffs.

The Future

Whether or not a class is "up" or "down" is just one of them topics that there isn't really a right or wrong answer to. There's no 100% way of completely telling if its one way or the other. Just people's opinions and debates.
However:

If your top teams in a class are not as great as previous years, but still beat the average middle teams and bottom feeders and make it to the semis and play one another and 2 go to the title game and one wins, isn't that the exact same thing that happens all the other years when your top teams were freakin awesome? Greenwood, Eldo, Jonesboro, and Pine Bluff may not be as great as last, but if these 4 teams make it to the semis with records similar or the same as last, whats the difference between the 2 years? What makes the second year more "down" than the first?

If your top contenders do as usual and finishes anywhere from 7-3 to state title winner and your average middle teams do as usual going anywhere from 5-5 to 7-3 BUT all the bottom feeders of the class surprise everyone and finish waaaay better than previous years, then I guess you could say that class was "up".

I guess a way to see if a class is "down" is if all your bottom feeders are the usual crap teams, your middle average teams are the usual middle averages, but all of the top contenders (not just one or two) have some slips and lose a couple games to the middle averages or the bottom feeders.

I guess my opinion on the matter is unless every top dog in a class loses more than a few games and some random upset team makes it to playoffs and to state and possible wins it all, then that class isn't "down"

Jeep71

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 01, 2013, 01:13:36 pm

"This year GW, PB, El Dorado, and Jonesboro will be down from last year. LH is no where near their glory years and neither is Texarkana."

When you can say the top 6 teams in a classification are down from their normal level of fielding a team in my  OPINION ONLY that classification is down.

Let's use 7A for example, Bennie and Fayetteville are down this year but we still have NLR, Harber, and SS who will not field down teams. Most will still say 7A is down since Bennie and Fayetteville is down but I disagree.

Anyway the 6A will have plenty of chances to prove they are not down. El Dorado get's to play CF and SS. GW get's to play SS, Conway. PB plays NLR.
So if Eldo, GW  or PB gets beat by these teams its a down year?

7AFBFAN

Calm down guys, it is just an opinion and really doesn't matter. Hang tight and someone will be on shortly saying all of Arkansas football is down.  ::)

Jeep71

Sorry, didn't understand you knocking your own teams like that. ???

7AFBFAN

I am not knocking any team and definitely not knocking my teams. Just saying my opinions are about as relevant as the guy who gets on here every year and knocks all of Arkansas football.

Jeep71

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 01, 2013, 01:13:36 pm

Let me ask a different way. It appears to me that you are saying that if these 7A teams beat these 6A teams 6A is down is that correct?

7AFBFAN

No. I am saying in my opinion the 6A will be down from last year with a lot of new faces playing on Friday night for the first time. If the 6A isn't down they will have plenty of opportunity to show where they stand from the best in 5A to teams that will be near the top of 7A this year.

gatecrasher

Beating CF to open the season will be huge for El Do and all the youngsters that will be starting. The Cardinals are loaded. Huge up front on both sides of the football, and speed, speed, speed everywhere. May be the fastest team we face all season. Not a typical 5A team.

Pr8hd

One thing I got to say, off the topic and a little  silly was El Do's jersey and colors are tight. Always been a fan of purple and the black offset color really make it pop, good looking uni's and helmet. I also like Southside's Columbia Blue/ red/ silver(?) ensemble with the Colonel Reb on the sleeves, cursive REBS helmet. Now, back on the thread topic... 

Good luck with CF, I think they would/contend for the 6A title this year although albeit would not be surprised to see Buck James blow one and get out coached with a vastly superior talented team. I am sure eh is a good man, but me thinks at times he might hide his own Easter eggs. Obviously, it has happened before.   ;) Reed is a better coach IMHO.

If ED upset's CF, the Eye of Mordor will turn it's attention south for sure!   ;D

Texarkana_Piggie

I, for one, am completely and totally shocked this el do thread was not started by gate.  Flabbergasted.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on August 03, 2013, 11:50:23 am
I, for one, am completely and totally shocked this el do thread was not started by gate.  Flabbergasted.

Make that 2!

TSW

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 01, 2013, 11:56:08 pm
No. I am saying in my opinion the 6A will be down from last year with a lot of new faces playing on Friday night for the first time. If the 6A isn't down they will have plenty of opportunity to show where they stand from the best in 5A to teams that will be near the top of 7A this year.

7 maybe unproven would be more understandable than down ?

Just_Win_Baby

Quote from: gatecrasher on August 01, 2013, 11:57:08 am
Quote from: Just_Win_Baby on July 31, 2013, 05:57:56 am
You either haven't been paying attention or are going by gossip you're hearing down there.

We didn't have a proven QB in 08. Went to title game. New QB in 09. Won it all. New QB in '11. Won it all.

It don't matter who we have, don't have, etc. As long as Scott Reed is the head coach of the El Dorado Wildcats we will be a state championship contender.

Gate, i dont have to listen to anyone here, i know!! In the years you mentioned we had a great running game, this is its suspect with not much experience coming back. I do like that fact that we have size up front on both sides of the ball but with a young secondary and linebacker corp and an almost totally rebuilt offense, i predict us going 6-4. Great coaching is always a plus, but youth is youth.

ELDOWILDCAT88

My son is a somphmore on this team and I do think they are very young lots of talent in that class. Several somphmores will start. But also agree with Gate as long as Reed is there we will contend!

bleudog

August 08, 2013, 09:51:21 pm #47 Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:01:28 pm by bleudog
Two questions:

Who approves uniforms for the Wildcat football team?

Were they drunk when they went with these pants?

Texarkana_Piggie

That is the worst looking pair of pants I have ever seen.

zebradynasty

Quote from: bleudog on August 08, 2013, 09:51:21 pm
Two questions:

Who approves uniforms for the Wildcat football team?

Were they drunk when they went with these pants?

That's borderline obscene!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas