• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Westin Taylor leaves Marshall for Valley Springs

Started by 24, July 05, 2008, 10:27:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heard the paperwork is final. anyone know anything? why she left?

SoftballCrazy

I would venture to guess another good recruiting year by the girls coach. It is funny how players just seem to show up and play there.

vball~chik

good team wants to contend for another State title why not make the move to do so.

hey there's a thought, let's just start recruiting and paying high school players...

imactownballa_10

what if she wanted to move.
just because a player changes schools doesnt mean there was any recruiting.

vball~chik

I don't think it was recruiting I think it is knowing that Valley is going to be a good team and she wants to be apart of that. I don't think there would be any recruiting. Just because a player wants to win and go on to play in college could mean playing somewhere else. Why would you want to play at a school where you are going to be play box and 1 every game. I think I would switch to.

imactownballa_10

Quote from: vball~chik on July 16, 2008, 08:03:44 am<br />I don't think it was recruiting I think it is knowing that Valley is going to be a good team and she wants to be apart of that. I don't think there would be any recruiting. Just because a player wants to win and go on to play in college could mean playing somewhere else. Why would you want to play at a school where you are going to be play box and 1 every game. I think I would switch to.<br />
thats what im saying. i would do the same thing if i was in her situation. she has won 2 state championships so why not give herself a chance for a third?

harlin42

Bwana

I've got a $1.27 that says Valley won't win their Conference.. With or without Taylor..

bballgurl

Quote from: Bwana on July 16, 2008, 09:58:52 pm
I've got a $1.27 that says Valley won't win their Conference.. With or without Taylor..
well do you think that Marshall will win it??? they have done great the past few years but I am pretty sure that this year will be a struggle for them. oh, and are you in like 3rd grade a betting your lunch money??? (what is $1.27???) I would bet that valley will do much better in the conference than Marshall will.

Bwana

$1.27 is just an arbitrary number, something that anyone on here could afford to lose.. And I see Mt. View winning Conference with Cave City close behind.. Valley didn't impress last year and IMO doesn't bring a whole lot different this year..

ksaun

Jessica James gradutated the same year as Ashley Taylor and Tara Larue.  I find it hard to believe she was the best player on the team. 
This year's Valley Team is way different from last year's team.  They will be good.  They have 2 girls at 6'2 and 3 guards at 5'10.  And a lot coming off the bench from junior high.

vball~chik

UMMM yeah Taylor and Larue were on Bergman valley is a different team.

SoftballCrazy

She was at camp with them. They are improved but state champs is quite a stretch. I would say alot of recruiting goes on there. Its all behind the scene but goes on. How else would you explain it. Look at the talent that did go for the senior year. McNair graduated from alpena not valley. I think you mean Paige Blackburn who came from Harrison after her junior year. These players just dont go there because its a great city, someone is working to get them there. Maybe the new rules will help balance this out. People can say all they want that it doesn't go on but I knew someone who was approached about going there and then her sister went also.

ksaun

What do you think they are being offered by the Valley coach on her 30K ayear job.  New house? New Car? Gas money? Lunch money?
Some wild accuasations by people hiding behind a computer.
Maybe they just weren't happy where they were at.

Cinderella

Think about this people. You win 2 state championships. Your coach leaves and so does the talent. Why stay?

Ridge Rat

Have you ever heard of loyalty or community pride?

ilikebasketball

Quote from: Bwana on August 02, 2008, 09:16:55 pm<br />
Quote from: Cinderella on August 02, 2008, 03:02:30 pm<br />Think about this people. You win 2 state championships. Your coach leaves and so does the talent. Why stay?<br />
<br />Because its the right thing to do!! Maybe not the easiest but the right thing.. It was her time to lead and carry her team mates and show true leadership.. Instead she bails out.. No leadership or loyalty involved there.. The AAA and Admins. have rules in place to try and stop just this sort of thing from happening but you still see it going on all over the State.. I know parents move for jobs and different issues but there are several places that seem to get a very high percentage of players in their Sr. year, Valley and Guy Perkins are 2 of them.. This whole transfer looks bad for Valley and the player involved.. Would she have stayed if the Coach and talent level had remained the same?? Thats the question that needs to be answered.. <br />

she is a high school girl.
who gives a flyin eff if she stayed or left?
its her life, her decision, people shouldnt put her down or try to make her feel bad about it.
why would a good player want to stay at an awful program?(i know they won back2back state, but this year they will be bad.)
we dont know, maybe there were personal problems?
i mean there are so many different scenarios, it isnt right for people to bash her..
but i mean thats just my opinion.

athletic supporter

Who is the coach at Valley? Didn't she play for Arkansas? Maybe the girls going there want to play for someone who might be able to help then get a little better prepared for life at the college level.

AAAspectator

Maybe she wanted to come out of her present school because everyone around her that was good is gone.

Quote from: fridaynightfan on July 17, 2008, 12:32:33 pm<br />br /><br />Paige Blackburn from Harrison 2005-2006<br /><br />Jessica James  from Bergman 2006-2007<br /><br />Westin Taylor from Marshall   2008-2009<br />

The first two mentioned were reported "problems" on their old teams. I know that is hear-say so before I get attacked for that, but that is the word on both of them. Maybe Valley is an escape for players in the Harrison "Metroplex"?

balla55

its not the fact that westin taylor left marshall. its the way she left marshall. i personally know most of the team members called her to check up on her and what she was going to do. i know the new coach tommy welch did also along with the girls on the team. westin may have made a good decision on moving to valley springs but she should have done it in a different manner and let the team and the community know.

3ballgirl

For your information, the people who needed to know were told about the transfer and most people, including the current coach, stated that "given the situation, they would do the same thing."  As far as Valley Springs, give me a break!  The people (and coach) of that community were as shocked as everyone else.  Loyalty and pride are extremely valuable characteristics and part of  the reason that the decision to leave was a difficult one, but sometimes a person has to do what is best for his/her future.  So, if I were you, I would stop speculating about why one kid leaves a school for another when none of you know, nor will you ever know.  Find something worth talking about.

luvsports

Quote from: ksaun on July 20, 2008, 09:30:35 pm
What do you think they are being offered by the Valley coach on her 30K ayear job.  New house? New Car? Gas money? Lunch money?
Some wild accuasations by people hiding behind a computer.
Maybe they just weren't happy where they were at.

30K???  go check the records hun...it's alittle more than than. :o

hasbeen11

I give massive props to westin for leaving. The only other realplayer that marshall had was Baylen Adams. She was the only other girl on the team that had any playing time the last two years. She did what most athletes are to nervous to do and thats make a decision affecting her in the future instead of what people are saying now. I hope and KNOW that she will do awesome. I wish her, valley and marshall the best of luck in the next few years

sports_lover

I completely understand why the girl chose to change teams.  I might do the same thing.

Having said that, I still can't help but be a little sad that we live in a society where it's all about self.  There doesn't seem to be much "teamwork" anymore.  Not just in sports, but in life in general.  We're so caught up in looking out for our own interests that we sometimes forget about everyone around us.

There are positives and negatives with every choice we make.  Choosing to change teams will bring new friends and maybe a chance to be more successful in terms of wins.  It also involves leaving old friends behind and some feelings, possibly, of guilt.  When we make changes and move forward, we have to deal with these kinds of things.  It's part of life.

You just hope, when all is said and done, that we made the best choice.  Good luck to the girl, her new team, and her old team.

Cinderella

I don't think that post had anything to do with basketball at all. Someone needs to run for office or get a talk show.

sports_lover

Quote from: Cinderella on October 19, 2008, 02:31:20 pm
I don't think that post had anything to do with basketball at all. Someone needs to run for office or get a talk show.

Thanks for the plug, Cinderella!

mdctb123

qhmurph

her developing coach left, and though she has been a life long resident   she should do what is best for her. If she felt more over school pride that should still be her decision. She has worked hard and if she thinks it's best for her to compete with a more competitive team . She has worked her butt off  for several years  to get to where she is . she has prepared for her future. Something most kids her age don't understand , I don't think she has taking the easy way out , I think she has made a tough choice that will pave a better road for her future , and walking away from life long friends , and the only school she has known. Shes made some sacrifices , and work hard the whole way.

T-Wacker

I see on a recruiting website she has committed to a school. Who?

harlin42

After seeing the black And white game i dont blame
her

bobcatfan90

Quote from: harlin42 on November 10, 2008, 09:31:50 pm
After seeing the black And white game i dont blame
her

How are the bball teams looking?  Haven't got to see any of them play yet.

Ridge Rat

The sr. girls got thumped soundly against Alpena and then whipped Southside bee branch pretty good. They better hope Baylen Adams doesn't get hurt or else this season will get even uglier than expected. Coach let Baylen rest for a min and the rest of the girls fell apart.

bobcatfan90

Quote from: Ridge Rat on November 15, 2008, 01:06:47 pm
The sr. girls got thumped soundly against Alpena and then whipped Southside bee branch pretty good. They better hope Baylen Adams doesn't get hurt or else this season will get even uglier than expected. Coach let Baylen rest for a min and the rest of the girls fell apart.

Good that they bounced back and didn't let one game deter them for the rest of the season.  How do the sr. boys look?  What about the 2 jr. teams?

Ridge Rat

Sr. boys lost to Alpena by one and lost to Southside Bee Branch by five. Things might go better for them after the football boys have practiced a little more,not too sure yet. The jr. girls are 1-2,the jr. boys are undefeated and looked pretty good against Bee Branch.

Mr. Sir

Looks to me like she made the right choice. Valley's girls beat Marshall by 46 points Tuesday night. 66-20

hoopsin53

i don't know the details of this situation but from what i read, but i still love the kids who would rather stick it out with their teammates.  i love the ones that would rather go through something uncomfortable than to let those counting on them down.  i appreciate those kids that take the box and ones and continue to encourage those around them.  i guess i am just too old school.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas