• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GW's Connor Noland Offered By Arkansas

Started by Pr8hd, April 28, 2016, 12:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pr8hd

GW Soph., multi-sport phenom. is  racking up an impressive list of offers in both football and baseball.

He's going to have an interesting decision to make in 2018.

Congrats to Connor on the offer.

JimRat

Showed his age in the loss to Siloam 4-2 yesterday. Got very frustrated and looked like he was mouthy to the pitching coach. Some kid named Francis from Siloam got around and yanked one over the left field fence. Good player but like a lot of sophomores needs to mature!

bulldogger15

Not so fast JimRat. You can talk about your non D1 athletes from Siloam all you want, but please leave OUR Greenwood Bulldogs alone. Noland is a class act. See you Panthers this fall and we'll see how next football season treats you.

Go Bulldogs!!!

Pr8hd

By all accounts, Noland is very humble and level headed. I am sure part of it was a result of frustration due to losing a critical conference game against a team they should have probably beaten a second time this year. GW's baseball season has been sporadic all year.

He's still already the most sought after athlete in GW history in any sport, let alone multiple sports by a growing list of D1 who's who. I think it says a lot, since he split time last year in football and as a soph. already throwing in the 90's on the diamond.

Oldbadger

Is he going to split playing time again?

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on April 30, 2016, 08:49:48 am
By all accounts, Noland is very humble and level headed. I am sure part of it was a result of frustration due to losing a critical conference game against a team they should have probably beaten a second time this year. GW's baseball season has been sporadic all year.

He's still already the most sought after athlete in GW history in any sport, let alone multiple sports by a growing list of D1 who's who. I think it says a lot, since he split time last year in football and as a soph. already throwing in the 90's on the diamond.

Where's he going to play this fall?

rona

Quote from: bulldogger15 on April 30, 2016, 01:25:17 am
Not so fast JimRat. You can talk about your non D1 athletes from Siloam all you want, but please leave OUR Greenwood Bulldogs alone. Noland is a class act. See you Panthers this fall and we'll see how next football season treats you.

Go Bulldogs!!!

Well said. BD 15

bulldogger15

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2016, 10:31:58 am

I have the initial results from the poll taken yesterday morning at the Bulldog Diner in downtown Greenwood. The main question was: Where will Connor Noland play football next fall? The percentages below are with 99% of the answers tallied.

Greenwood - 90%

IMG Academy - 5%

Bentonville - 2%

Southside - 1% (Sorry Baitshop)

Hackett - 1%

LR Christian - 1%

I will release the results tomorrow from the second question asked in the Bulldog Diner poll: Where will Connor Noland play football his senior season if he rides the bench during the state football playoffs this season? The answers are being tabulated and are overwhelmingly unanimous at this point.

Stay tuned...

JimRat

Quote from: bulldogger15 on April 30, 2016, 01:25:17 am

Go Bulldogs!!!

Lighten up francis.....you boys can't take any criticism! He did show his age....no way should the "non D1" athletes from Siloam, beat him....but they did!!!!!! You boys in Greenwood get on your high horse and then get it handed to you and get all pissy.......I did not hammer the kid just stated a fact! He DID argue with his coach, he DID get frustrated, he DID show last of maturity, he DID get beat by a bunch of "slugs"......guess you can't deal or handle the facts!!!! ::)

bulldogger15

Quote from: JimRat on May 01, 2016, 07:42:21 pm
Lighten up francis.....you boys can't take any criticism! He did show his age....no way should the "non D1" athletes from Siloam, beat him....but they did!!!!!! You boys in Greenwood get on your high horse and then get it handed to you and get all pissy.......I did not hammer the kid just stated a fact! He DID argue with his coach, he DID get frustrated, he DID show last of maturity, he DID get beat by a bunch of "slugs"......guess you can't deal or handle the facts!!!! ::)
No one said he did not get beat JimRat. Baseball playoffs are around the corner and football will soon follow.

You make it sound like the kid fell apart due to your massive beatdown. Were you at the same game I was at? I saw Coach Holloway talk to Noland and Noland nodded his head but I don't know that his mouth ever moved. Doesn't matter. Inconsistent calls by the umpire are the norm in high school baseball.

Next...

beach bum

Quote from: bulldogger15 on May 02, 2016, 12:19:01 am
No one said he did not get beat JimRat. Baseball playoffs are around the corner and football will soon follow.

You make it sound like the kid fell apart due to your massive beatdown. Were you at the same game I was at? I saw Coach Holloway talk to Noland and Noland nodded his head but I don't know that his mouth ever moved. Doesn't matter. Inconsistent calls by the umpire are the norm in high school baseball.

Next...

Play your fiddle all night long.... these excuses of the refs, officials, umpires, etc. are just cop outs for not admitting defeat.

GotInfo?

This is kind of an interesting situation.  You have a very highly recruited kid that is the back up to a guy that just got you a state runner-up.  Is the kid willing to split time for some of the games and sit and watch the rest?  Tough deal.  Unfortunately, too many kids would rather transfer because of playing time than stick it out for what is best for the team.  Hope he stays in Greenwood and waits it out.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: bulldogger15 on May 02, 2016, 12:19:01 am

Next...
the umpires.  took all of 9 posts for the Greenweird faithful to play the officials card.

bulldogger15

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2016, 10:31:58 am
The second question asked in the Bulldog Diner poll: Where will Connor Noland play football his senior season if he rides the bench during the state football playoffs this season? 100% - NOT Siloam Springs!!!

Lou Holtz was asked to clarify a quote he once said. Mr. Holtz when asked if Fayetteville was the end of the world stated "No, but you can see it from here." Lou Holtz later clarified that he was actually talking about Siloam Springs when he made the comment but could only remember the name Fayetteville at the time.

Siloam Springs is a great place to transfer from, not to. Someone should transfer some real springs there so the town name actually makes sense. See also: Heber Springs and Hot Springs (Both towns actually have springs and are famous for them).

Baitshop

I've got 2 large Geno's Pepperoni pizzas that says that young Mr. Noland will be the starter next year.....for a team not wearing dark blue.

What kid that has 3-4 D1 offers plays behind another QB with no D1 offers..??

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 02, 2016, 08:57:51 am
the umpires.  took all of 9 posts for the Greenweird faithful to play the officials card.

I just want to know if they shook hands after the loss? Did we take a poll on that?

bulldogger15

Quote from: Baitshop on May 03, 2016, 01:25:43 am
I've got 2 large Geno's Pepperoni pizzas that says that young Mr. Noland will be the starter next year.....for a team not wearing dark blue.

What kid that has 3-4 D1 offers plays behind another QB with no D1 offers..??

I do not see Noland transferring because of playing time. If that was the case, Noland would have left after the state championship game vs Pine Bluff. Also, it is a pretty well known fact that one of the main reasons Noland is at Greenwood is the tradition his family has with the town and school. Noland's older brother Peyton graduates this year from Greenwood and Connor will follow in his footsteps in a couple years.

It appears that Noland is up to 7 or 8 D1 offers now with the addition of Arkansas, North Carolina, Kentucky and Utah State within the last few days. One Greenwood football coach commented that Noland could see 15+ D1 offers before his junior season starts. Noland's baseball offers should also expand as the college baseball season winds down. Getting offered by the Razorbacks in both baseball and football is very rare and I can't remember it ever happening to a sophomore like Noland is. I heard Texas A&M's football offer will allow Noland to play baseball also if he chooses.

I expect Connor Noland to remain with the Bulldogs, but I'm not convinced yet that he'll Call the Hogs! I truly wish he would though...

I guess if you really wanted to know the answer to your question "What kid that has 3-4 D1 offers plays behind another QB with no D1 offers..???" you should take a trip to the GMAC and get it told to you straight from the horses mouth by Coach Rick Jones.

The one thing I do ask of you Bait is please post Coach Jones' reply to your question. I along with about 8,749 other Greenwood residents/fans would like to know the answer also! You would probably get free Geno's large pepperoni pizzas for life after that post! Sounds like a great deal to me.

Go Bulldogs!

Oldbadger

Someone tell the rest of us why this kid is so special.  All I hear is D-1 this and D-1 that.  I really don't know the stats on him.  Someone enlighten us.  No one I have read, and I am truly interested, has said anything. If he is this good, why?  I sure hope he chooses the Hogs, they could sure use him in BB.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 03, 2016, 10:18:12 am
Someone tell the rest of us why this kid is so special.  All I hear is D-1 this and D-1 that.  I really don't know the stats on him.  Someone enlighten us.  No one I have read, and I am truly interested, has said anything. If he is this good, why?  I sure hope he chooses the Hogs, they could sure use him in BB.
Noland's aura started to grow when he was still out west in Nevada.  Apparently he was a camp phenom and drew strong interest from UCLA, which was one of the first to offer him.  Jones is definitely in weird position with this kid.  Obviously Hales is good enough to get them to the state championship game.  And he's the favorite of the old guard.  but now he has a true d-1 quarterback fall into his lap.  Must be tough being Jones.

ricepig

Quote from: bulldogger15 on May 03, 2016, 09:04:51 am
I do not see Noland transferring because of playing time. If that was the case, Noland would have left after the state championship game vs Pine Bluff. Also, it is a pretty well known fact that one of the main reasons Noland is at Greenwood is the tradition his family has with the town and school. Noland's older brother Peyton graduates this year from Greenwood and Connor will follow in his footsteps in a couple years.

It appears that Noland is up to 7 or 8 D1 offers now with the addition of Arkansas, North Carolina, Kentucky and Utah State within the last few days. One Greenwood football coach commented that Noland could see 15+ D1 offers before his junior season starts. Noland's baseball offers should also expand as the college baseball season winds down. Getting offered by the Razorbacks in both baseball and football is very rare and I can't remember it ever happening to a sophomore like Noland is. I heard Texas A&M's football offer will allow Noland to play baseball also if he chooses.

I expect Connor Noland to remain with the Bulldogs, but I'm not convinced yet that he'll Call the Hogs! I truly wish he would though...

I guess if you really wanted to know the answer to your question "What kid that has 3-4 D1 offers plays behind another QB with no D1 offers..???" you should take a trip to the GMAC and get it told to you straight from the horses mouth by Coach Rick Jones.

The one thing I do ask of you Bait is please post Coach Jones' reply to your question. I along with about 8,749 other Greenwood residents/fans would like to know the answer also! You would probably get free Geno's large pepperoni pizzas for life after that post! Sounds like a great deal to me.

Go Bulldogs!

Well, he could leave and guide SS/NS/Hackett to a championship, and then transfer back his Sr year and graduate from that bastion of education at Greenwood...........

Baitshop

Quote from: bulldogger15 on May 03, 2016, 09:04:51 am

Go Bulldogs!

The question is not intended for CRJ. I understand the small town politics of why Noland would not be the starter...

The question is why would a player with, now, 7-8 D1 offers be willing to sit behind another player with 0 (zero) offers, to get a chance to be the starting QB? Do the 7-8 current D1 schools reevaluate their offers considering that he, for what ever reason, cannot supplant a young man that has 0 (zero) offers to play QB in college?

IF it were my child, and he had his offers, I would have to consider getting him somewhere that he could start. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to wait until summer practice is over to find out if my D1 son would be the starter. If we are making a change, I would be thinking about immediately after school is out. This isn't like when Tyler sat behind Daniel. Daniel was a record setting dual threat QB that was drawing considerable attention from multiple colleges to play both football and baseball.

I think that there are some big decisions to be made by CRJ and the Nolands in the coming weeks...

P.S. And before all of the rants from the GW faithful starts about me just trying to stir the pot, don't tell me that you boys aren't having the same thoughts, questions, and discussions.

Baitshop

Quote from: ricepig on May 03, 2016, 07:26:22 am
I just want to know if they shook hands after the loss? Did we take a poll on that?

Ooh, that ain't right... ;)

If I remember correctly, you and I were there the day that that happened though.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on May 02, 2016, 04:02:08 am
Play your fiddle all night long.... these excuses of the refs, officials, umpires, etc. are just cop outs for not admitting defeat.

Don't waste your breath. HA

AirWarren

May 03, 2016, 12:44:09 pm #23 Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:51:18 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: ricepig on May 03, 2016, 07:26:22 am

Do the dad's wear their dusty lettermen jackets from their own 0-10 seasons and form a tunnel for them to run out in before baseball games? Let's get a poll on that one as well.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Baitshop on May 03, 2016, 12:00:02 pm
The question is not intended for CRJ. I understand the small town politics of why Noland would not be the starter...

The question is why would a player with, now, 7-8 D1 offers be willing to sit behind another player with 0 (zero) offers, to get a chance to be the starting QB? Do the 7-8 current D1 schools reevaluate their offers considering that he, for what ever reason, cannot supplant a young man that has 0 (zero) offers to play QB in college?

IF it were my child, and he had his offers, I would have to consider getting him somewhere that he could start. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to wait until summer practice is over to find out if my D1 son would be the starter. If we are making a change, I would be thinking about immediately after school is out. This isn't like when Tyler sat behind Daniel. Daniel was a record setting dual threat QB that was drawing considerable attention from multiple colleges to play both football and baseball.

I think that there are some big decisions to be made by CRJ and the Nolands in the coming weeks...

P.S. And before all of the rants from the GW faithful starts about me just trying to stir the pot, don't tell me that you boys aren't having the same thoughts, questions, and discussions.

Connor Noland added Penn St to the football offer list this morning. Greenwood coach said the list of coaches/schools that have scheduled visits to spring practice is impressive.

Greenwood football coach also said all the schools know that Noland split time last year with Hales and they are impressed with the way he has handled the situation. They said they liked the way Noland carries himself off the field as well, i.e. model student, 4.0 academics and is a leader on Greenwood's campus.

I don't think Noland goes anywhere soon. Why? Offers roll in on the baseball and football side. Connor Noland might not ever play a down or inning in college anyway if he progresses in baseball.

My bet is on Noland to stay at Greenwood and graduate as a Bulldog. Wanna go two large pepperoni pizzas from Geno's Baitshop?

Go Bulldogs!!!

GotInfo?

Looks like Bait and I are on the same page.  The kid maybe completely happy only playing a few snaps and being a team player and wait his turn.  If that is the case, I raise my glass to him!!!  Not many kids like that anymore.  My guess is though, that it has been discussed about the possibility of him transferring within his family.  Hard not too with the attention he is getting.  Can't blame Coach Jones for keeping the other kid as QB.  He has earned it and from several coaches that played them, he makes it harder to defend them. 
I do hope he stays.  Too many kids leave schools for those reasons and miss out on the learning experience of being a good teammate. 

Pr8hd

Why would he have to go anywhere else, if he can get this many offers from high profile D1 programs that saw/know he split time? It looks like he's going to get the same amount no matter where he is or if he starts or not. He obviously is not too distraught at the prospect of splitting time and appears to lack the ego to make him want to be elsewhere as a starter.

The talk of him going elsewhere is just wishful thinking by some. Clearly, he would have done so by now if it was his intentions or would have been more beneficial in getting the offers he wants. He's got a growing list of options daily. 

Grizzlyfan

As many of the rumors are coming out of Greenwood as they are coming out of Fort Smith.

Pr8hd

May 04, 2016, 09:43:15 am #28 Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:55:37 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 04, 2016, 09:31:40 am
As many of the rumors are coming out of Greenwood as they are coming out of Fort Smith.

Well, my guess IF he did transfer it would not be here locally and not within the state. My guess is IMG or something like that. Again, though at what benefit? So, he could be mixed in with 23 other D1 prospects competing for time there just as much as here.

I would also guess Hales will get some offers. Last year, they complemented each other pretty well on the field.  There were games were Hales was very dominant/bruising- NS, Benton, etc. with his big frame running the ball and his arm. It's not like Noland was/is splitting time with some one with no talent.  Hales was all-state as a Jr. for a reason.

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on May 04, 2016, 09:43:15 am
Well, my guess IF he did transfer it would not be here locally and not within the state. My guess is IMG or something like that. Again, though at what benefit? So, he could be mixed in with 23 other D1 prospects competing for time there just as much as here.

I would also guess Hales will get some offers. Last year, they complemented each other pretty well on the field.  There were games were Hales was very dominate/bruising- NS, Benton, etc. with his big frame running the ball and his arm. It's not like Noland was/is splitting time with some one with no talent.  Hales was all-state as a Jr. for a reason.

Tuition is around $73,000 at IMG Academy, or close to it. Now, I'm sure they have some scholarships available, haha.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2016, 10:46:52 am
Tuition is around $73,000 at IMG Academy, or close to it. Now, I'm sure they have some scholarships available, haha.

73K for tuition? That is ignorant and someone who has more money than a brain.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on May 04, 2016, 11:52:47 am
73K for tuition? That is ignorant and someone who has more money than a brain.

Well, I think it's actually $68,000 for tuition, but the deluxe dining room tap is another $5000, lol.

AirWarren

It's also called the Deluxe DA package. Haha

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on May 04, 2016, 12:08:56 pm
It's also called the Deluxe DA package. Haha

No doubt, they have needs based scholarships, surely the vast majority of football players qualify for them. I'm sure the tennis and golf players subsidize the football team, lol.

Oldbadger

Explain to me because of my ignorance, what is IMG Academy?  I may have 73000 dollars laying around to spend. Lol.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 04, 2016, 01:17:00 pm
Explain to me because of my ignorance, what is IMG Academy?  I may have 73000 dollars laying around to spend. Lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMG_Academy

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2016, 12:31:55 pm
No doubt, they have needs based scholarships, surely the vast majority of football players qualify for them. I'm sure the tennis and golf players subsidize the football team, lol.

"Need based scholarships". That must be the same package that a couple of particular "prospects" got when they got bussed in from Malvern and Lonoke. Ha

Pr8hd

May 04, 2016, 01:48:23 pm #37 Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:54:55 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: AirWarren on May 04, 2016, 01:31:17 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMG_Academy

It's also the location I believe Harbaugh took his Michigan team to and conducted his spring break satellite camp at. They offered like 18-19 players there. 

The Denmark kid, Froholdte, at Arkansas (former DL now OL) was an IMG product.

Granny4two

Quote from: Baitshop on May 03, 2016, 12:00:02 pm

These thoughts are being discussed all over town.

bulldogger15

"The question is why would a player with, now, 7-8 D1 offers be willing to sit behind another player with 0 (zero) offers, to get a chance to be the starting QB? Do the 7-8 current D1 schools reevaluate their offers considering that he, for what ever reason, cannot supplant a young man that has 0 (zero) offers to play QB in college?"

Connor Noland picked up an offer from Mizzou football (#9) this weekend. I'm pretty sure this is not the first time these college coaches have experienced high school politics. As I stated before, I was told that the Greenwood coaches are very up front with the college coaches about the situation regarding Hales and Noland. Obviously, the college coaches have no problem with Noland's athletic abilities or his character. The Power 5 Conferences offers continue to roll in and Noland's not even into the summer football camp period or his junior season of high school.

The more college coaches that come to Greenwood to recruit Noland the better. It should help some of the other Bulldogs players get looks that they might not have gotten otherwise. Actually, the more coaches that come to NW Arkansas helps all kids looking to get recruited.

I have a feeling from all I've heard that Noland is more concentrated on his post high school plans than worrying about starting at Greenwood. The two QB system got us to Little Rock last year and it should get us there again this year. GW has an easier schedule overall and don't forget about our returning supplantable and unsupplantable talent!

Too bad Baitshop, no transfer in sight as far as I can see....  :(

I just hope Noland follows in the footsteps of Owenby, Wilson, D. Morgan, McFain, and G. Morgan. Dogs to Hogs!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Oldbadger

ricepig

bulldogger15

Quote from: ricepig on May 09, 2016, 05:09:33 pm
Starting pitcher.........
Atta boy Rice! Recruited as a QB and pitcher. Offers from the Razorbacks in both sports.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Oldbadger

This kid has to be 6'6" tall, weighs 240, throws a football 70 yards flatfooted, throws a baseball 95 mph, and runs a 4.5 forty.  If he was 6'1" and 175 they wouldn't look at him twice.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 09, 2016, 06:49:07 pm
This kid has to be 6'6" tall, weighs 240, throws a football 70 yards flatfooted, throws a baseball 95 mph, and runs a 4.5 forty.  If he was 6'1" and 175 they wouldn't look at him twice.

I think as a Soph. last year he was listed as 6'2" 180 evidently the recruiters are ok with his measureables and abilities enough to offer him multiple times in multiple sports , even though they may not fit your exact criteria listed. I would suspect they know what they are getting and what they see before they offer.

GW has sent more than one impact player on to Arkansas lately since Jones arrival, but none will have been recruited as heavily as this kid will be by time he's a senior. I think he will do fine in whatever he chooses to pursue.

I would hope Arkansas as well but they sure have a lot of QB's there and on even more. Someone is going to be moving on from there to make room.

zebradynasty

Wish I could have seen more of him in the Championship game last year. Watching huddle hasn't got me pumped up on him yet. :-\

Oldbadger

If I remember right, and i know someone will correct me it I'm wrong, he only played one play against Benton and one play against Pine Bluff.  I think both were TD's.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 10, 2016, 04:32:34 pm
If I remember right, and i know someone will correct me it I'm wrong, he only played one play against Benton and one play against Pine Bluff.  I think both were TD's.

Against PB he did throw for a TD on a trick play. We had a reserve DB in and he misplayed the ball. It was a decent throw just not something to be in awe of.

Road_Dogg

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 10, 2016, 11:47:07 pm
Against PB he did throw for a TD on a trick play. We had a reserve DB in and he misplayed the ball. It was a decent throw just not something to be in awe of.

Yeah, the other DB was probably the one out robbing people and places. So, anyone could understand.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas