• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The All Soccer Thread(US soccer, EPL, European leagues, Spanish/Mexican leagues.)

Started by AirWarren, August 02, 2015, 09:00:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1-Adam-12

A last thought on the title race: 

Tottenham had been working for years and years to be better than Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and more lately Man City. 

It looks like they will finally finish higher than all five of them and most years that would win you the Premier League.

Not in this Season of the Foxes.

AirWarren

Go Postal

AirWarren

AirWarren

Real Madrid Vs Manchester City today at 1:45 in the UEFA Champions League.

beach bum

AirWarren

AirWarren

beach bum

Liverpool needs a 2-0 or 3-1 win because they did not get an away goal last week. That game starts any minute on Fox Sports. If you have Fox Sports 2 Shakhtar is at Sevilla. Shakhtar most likely needs a straight up win as they drew 2-2 last week in Ukraine. I will say Sevilla advances as well as Liverpool pulling another 2nd leg comeback at home. Liverpool 2-0!!

beach bum

Liverpool scores 6 minutes in and Sevilla scores early too... predictions looking good!

beach bum

Sevilla and Liverpool will be Wednesday, May 18th for the Europa League final... Anfield has had some magic these last two months on Thursdays.

WPWells

1-Adam-12

Middlesbrough are promoted to the Premier League following their 1-1 draw with Brighton.  They join champions Burnley in the automatic promotion spots.

Brighton will have to go through the playoffs.  It's Seagulls vs Owls as they take on Sheffield Wednesday in a two-legged playoff, with the other playoff series being Hull City vs Derby County.

chaoslord

Can't believe I just watched Leicester City lift the Premier League trophy.

Longfellow

beach bum

Nice to see you join the soccer conversation Longfellow. You better not watch too much or you will become hooked like I did. And I am very happy to see Sunderland grind out a win. One more win in their last two will keep them in the Premier League. I have learned to like Jermaine Defoe. He has done a lot for that club to help them claw and fight to stay the top division.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on May 07, 2016, 09:06:06 am
Middlesbrough are promoted to the Premier League following their 1-1 draw with Brighton.  They join champions Burnley in the automatic promotion spots.

Brighton will have to go through the playoffs.  It's Seagulls vs Owls as they take on Sheffield Wednesday in a two-legged playoff, with the other playoff series being Hull City vs Derby County.

I will take Brighton and Hull City to decide who goes to the Premier League. I'd like to see Brighton come up and add another team on the south coast!

Longfellow

Quote from: beach bum on May 07, 2016, 05:38:41 pm
Nice to see you join the soccer conversation Longfellow. You better not watch too much or you will become hooked like I did. And I am very happy to see Sunderland grind out a win. One more win in their last two will keep them in the Premier League. I have learned to like Jermaine Defoe. He has done a lot for that club to help them claw and fight to stay the top division.
I usually just watch the USMNT, but found myself keeping up with the EPL a lot this year. I don't really have a team I cheer for, usually just whoever plays Manchester United

AirWarren

Sunderland. Sunderland.

Please relegate Chelsea by default. My gosh.

1-Adam-12

Southampton!

A win at Spurs today. They have a good chance to get into the Europa League now and MAY even catch Manchester United.

And how fortunes change at football clubs in England.  It took 15 years but this has happened:

At the end of 2000-01 season Aston Villa finished 8th in the Prem and qualified for Europe.  Meanwhile, Burton Albion was lifting the trophy of a Level 7 league.

To begin 2016-17, both teams will be in the Championship after Burton was promoted from League One today.

I have finally seen the low-lights from Spurs vs Chelsea.  My take:

1) Dembele should have--and did--get a lengthy ban.  (It was 6 games.)
2) Dier's card should have been red, not yellow.
3) Lamela, who stepped on Fabregas' hand, should also have gotten at least a match ban.
4) Not that it matters, but Spurs' backup GK should have gotten a ban for instigating the fight in the tunnel.

AirWarren

My father in law is still in shambles over Chelsea ruining the Spurs title chances.

beach bum

A lot can change as far as the Champions League/Europa League for next year as well as relegation. Although it appears Sunderland will stay unless they collapse Norwich City & Newcastle are still alive because Norwich City still has two games like Sunderland. Newcastle better get the win! Manchester United is the swing team. They could go all the way up to 3rd with wins and Arsenal/Man City losses. They could also drop to 8th if the teams below them win and Man U drops both.

WPWells

It looks like Liverpool will be headed back to Europa next year. However, I like our chances to compete for the league title next season! Klopp has done a magnificent job with this team!

1-Adam-12

Farewell to West Ham's Boleyn Ground, and the Hammers send it out with a BANG!!

Winston Reid scores the winning goal in a 3-2 comeback win over Man Utd, which likely will keep the Red Devils out of the Champions League and will put West Ham in the Europa.

AirWarren

Ha! Awesome!! Join the rest of the miserable(Chelsea fans)Manchester United!!

beach bum

I heard the game was delayed by 45 minutes due to West Ham delaying Man United's bus, throwing things out it, and shattering a few windows. I guess they were a little pumped about that last game for them on that ground.

beach bum

Sunderland earned it these last two games. They get a 3-0 win over Everton today to clinch staying up. Even with Norwich City winning today it will not be enough for Norwich City on Saturday no matter what happens now......

1-Adam-12

And Newcastle are down as well.

All games this week are on Sunday.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on May 11, 2016, 04:13:11 pm
And Newcastle are down as well.

All games this week are on Sunday.

I had forgotten they do all ten at the same exact time in case points come into play the last week. Man City needs a point from their affair.... 6th through 8th place with West Ham, Southampton, and Liverpool will be fun to see who gets where. Man U will be hoping Man City falls on their face the last week.

1-Adam-12

The end of the season, as an Everton fan, can't come too soon.

I hope they greet Martinez at Goodison on Sunday with "You're getting sacked in the morning!" 

And then I hope the Everton board follow through with it.

AW, I'm right with ya about being totally frustrated.

Sunderland pulled it off again.  One thing about Norwich, at least they went down with guns blazing (4-2 win over Watford).  Newcastle went down with a whimper, and Aston Villa without a sound.

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

They won't have to! 

Martinez was sacked THIS morning!   :) :) :)

Looking forward to a turnaround at Everton Football Club! 

beach bum

Sheffield Wednesday with a huge win as the 6 seed in the Championship Playoff over Brighton..... Now Brighton will need to most likely win by three goals at their stadium now. Hull City and Derby County kick off tomorrow.

AirWarren

It looks as if Captain John Terry got a 1 year extension at Chelsea.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on May 13, 2016, 02:49:07 pm
It looks as if Captain John Terry got a 1 year extension at Chelsea.

After that he might end up with the LA Galaxy.... they seem to be wanting everyone.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: beach bum on May 13, 2016, 01:49:55 pm
Sheffield Wednesday with a huge win as the 6 seed in the Championship Playoff over Brighton..... Now Brighton will need to most likely win by three goals at their stadium now. Hull City and Derby County kick off tomorrow.

Hull got a 3-0 win.  Gonna be tough for both Brighton and Derby to come back from their deficits.  Looking like a promotion battle between Hull City and Sheffield Wednesday is imminent.

VHSCoach2

Final match day for the Premiere League season this morning and the wife and I are going to watch the LR Rangers this afternoon.  Gonna be a good day.

1-Adam-12

Manchester United vs Bournemouth was abandoned.  Apparently a suspicious device was found in one of the stands at Old Trafford.

chaoslord

If Vardy wins the golden boot off Kane today and Arsenal sneak past Spurs for second I may never stop laughing

VHSCoach2

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on May 15, 2016, 09:42:11 am
Manchester United vs Bournemouth was abandoned.  Apparently a suspicious device was found in one of the stands at Old Trafford.

New report is saying the police are now actively searching for a second package.

VHSCoach2

Also being reported that the first device was a mobile phone strapped to a gas pipe in one of the restrooms.

My goodness, thankfully it was found before whoever put it there set it off.

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

Quote from: chaoslord on May 15, 2016, 09:47:40 am
If Vardy wins the golden boot off Kane today and Arsenal sneak past Spurs for second I may never stop laughing

The second part happened.

Arsenal 4-0 Villa, Newcastle 5-1 Tottenham.  And Newcastle scored three after having a player sent off.  Complete collapse by Spurs.

This next set also significant:  Southampton 4-1 Palace and Stoke 2-1 West Ham means that Southampton will be in the Europa League and may finish FIFTH if United lose to Bournemouth in the rescheduled fixture.  Meanwhile West Ham have to hope for a United win against Palace in the FA Cup to get in, and that's if United win or draw against Bournemouth.

Swansea 1-1 Manchester City means that City are in the Champions League barring a ridiculous United win.  By ridiculous I mean by a ridiculous margin. It would have to be +19.

The others:  Leicester 1-1 Chelsea. The new champions and last year's champions play out a draw.
Everton 3-0 Norwich, as Tim Howard closes out his Everton career with a clean sheet.
West Brom 1-1 Liverpool.  Now the Reds look toward the Europa League final.
Watford 2-2 Sunderland. Watford's manager is leaving, but not sacked.

And now we wait for word on when MU-AFCB will be rescheduled.  Southampton and West Ham will definitely be interested.

WPWells

Liverpool now has to beat Sevilla to play in Europe. If we win, though, we make the Champions League!

VHSCoach2

With Norwich City's relegation, the trend of at least one new club to top flight being relegated in the same season as their promotion continues.  It has happened every season since 2012-13.

2012-13: West Ham United (10th) and Southampton (14th) avoided relegation, while Reading (19th) did not.
2013-14: Crystal Palace (11th) and Hull City (16th) avoided relegation, while Cardiff City (20th) did not.
2014-15: Leicester City (14th) avoided relegation, while Burnley (19th) and Queens Park Rangers (20th) did not.
2015-16: Watford (13th) and AFC Bournemouth (can finish anywhere from 14th-16th) avoided relegation, while Norwich City (19th) did not.

Here are the other seasons and how the newly-promoted clubs fared:

1992-93: Middlesbrough (21st) did not avoid relegation
1993-94: Newcastle United (3rd) and West Ham United (13th) avoided relegation, while Swindon Town (22nd) did not.
1994-95: Nottingham Forest (3rd) avoided relegation, while Crystal Palace (19th) and Leicester City (21st) did not.
1995-96: Middlesbrough (12th) avoided relegation, while Bolton Wanderers (20th) did not.
1996-97: Leicester City (9th) and Derby County (12th) avoided relegation, while Sunderland (18th) did not.
1997-98: Bolton Wanderers (18th), Barnsley (19th), and Crystal Palace (20th) were all relegated.
1998-99: Middlesbrough (9th) avoided relegation, while Charlton Athletic (18th) and Nottingham Forest (20th) did not.
1999-00: Sunderland (7th) and Bradford City (17th) avoided relegation, while Watford (20th) did not.
2000-01: Ipswich Town (5th) and Charlton Athletic (9th) avoided relegation, while Manchester City (18th) did not.
2001-02: Blackburn Rovers (10th), Fulham (13th), and Bolton Wanderers (16th) all avoided relegation.
2002-03: Manchester City (9th) and Birmingham City (13th) avoided relegation, while West Bromwich Albion (19th) did not.
2003-04: Portsmouth (13th) avoided relegation, while Leicester City (18th) and Wolverhampton Wanderers (20th) did not.
2004-05: West Bromwich Albion (17th) avoided relegation, while Crystal Palace (18th) and Norwich City (19th) did not.
2005-06: West Ham United (9th) and Wigan Athletic (10th) avoided relegation, while Sunderland (20th) did not.
2006-07: Reading (8th) avoided relegation, while Sheffield United (18th) and Watford (20th) did not.
2007-08: Sunderland (15th) avoided relegation, while Birmingham City (19th) and Derby County (20th) did not.
2008-09: Stoke City (12th) and Hull City (17th) avoided relegation, while West Bromwich Albion (20th) did not.
2009-10: Birmingham City (9th) and Wolverhampton Wanderers (15th) avoided relegation, while Burnley (18th) did not.
2010-11: West Bromwich Albion (11th) and Newcastle United (12th) avoided relegation, while Blackpool (19th) did not.
2011-12: Swansea City (11th), Norwich City (12th), and Queens Park Rangers (17th) avoided relegation

1-Adam-12

The Manchester United/Bournemouth match will take place on Tuesday.

AirWarren

With the season wrapping up. What's your best EPL team memory? Mine is this. During our honeymoon, the Mrs and I went back to our cabin on the cruise. She took a nap and I turned on the Tv. Only thing on was "some silly soccer match". Ha. It just so happened to be may 19th 2012. Chelsea FC vs Bayern Munich in Germany for the Champions league championship. I caught the final 20 minutes of the match and I've been hooked every since. What a great finish! DROGBA!

VHSCoach2

LR Rangers trail 1-0 at halftime.  The Houston Regals' goal came off a corner that wasn't cleared from the area and rolled to an open man.

And the Rangers fall 1-0.

MA

Thoroughly enjoyed my Gunners moving into 2nd yesterday! Giroud got himself a hat trick. Still think we need to add a great striker!

1-Adam-12

Quote from: AirWarren on May 15, 2016, 05:27:03 pm
With the season wrapping up. What's your best EPL team memory? Mine is this. During our honeymoon, the Mrs and I went back to our cabin on the cruise. She took a nap and I turned on the Tv. Only thing on was "some silly soccer match". Ha. It just so happened to be may 19th 2012. Chelsea FC vs Bayern Munich in Germany for the Champions league championship. I caught the final 20 minutes of the match and I've been hooked every since. What a great finish! DROGBA!

Mine did not involve my team Everton, but rather occurred in a Newcastle United vs. Arsenal match Feb. 5, 2011. 

Arsenal had a 4-nil lead with Robin Van Persie scoring twice within 27 minutes, but Newcastle came all the way back in the second half after the Gunners had a player sent off. 

Cheick Tiote provided the equalizer with a screamer past Szczesny in the 88th minute, and the Magpies actually almost won the match in stoppage time as a Kevin Nolan shot trickled maybe a foot wide with the keeper beaten.

It was just one part of a crazy day that had such scorelines as Everton 5-3 Blackpool, Wigan 4-3 Blackburn Rovers, and bottom team Wolves 2-1 over leaders Man Utd.  41 goals in 8 matches.  One of the wildest Premier League days ever.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas