• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official- Arkansas Head Coach Bobby Petrino(Retro Bump)

Started by bulldogs1159, December 11, 2007, 06:02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldogs1159

I don't think the man has ever written a bad article.

Throwback1

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on December 13, 2007, 06:48:15 pm
I've never read one.  This guy has credibility. If he hollers racism, I've come to respect him enough to give him the benefit of the doubt.

RHS

He and Charles Barkley are 2 of my favorite guys to read/listen to.

Throwback1

Quote from: RHS on December 13, 2007, 09:19:01 pm
He and Charles Barkley are 2 of my favorite guys to read/listen to.
Yep...Barkley sure tells it like it is.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Throwback1 on December 13, 2007, 08:25:58 pm
I've never read one.  This guy has credibility. If he hollers racism, I've come to respect him enough to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I can't even remember the last time he did. Has he?

Throwback1

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on December 13, 2007, 09:47:50 pm
Quote from: Throwback1 on December 13, 2007, 08:25:58 pm
I can't even remember the last time he did. Has he?
He did about a year ago, forgot what about.  But he's obviously not over sensitive, or a knee jerk kind of guy.  Like I said, he does it so rarely, I tend to think he's probably right when he does "see" it.

hogman627

Thank God for Petrino!!....for the moment.
If the Hogs have one bad game next year, then everyone will be mad at him.
Just wait!!

Throwback1

Quote from: hogman627 on December 14, 2007, 12:57:07 pm
Thank God for Petrino!!....for the moment.
If the Hogs have one bad game next year, then everyone will be mad at him.
Just wait!!
Could you be less informed?  Any Hog fan knows exactly what Petrino is inheriting next year, especially with DMac and maybe Felix leaving.  Most informed fans would take 6-6 right now and never say a word.  If it's worse then I'm thinking it's still the talent.  Players play, coaches coach, and it's not like after one year in the NFL Petrino just forgot everything he knows about coaching college football.  His college record gives him the benefit of the doubt until his classes can start contributing.  2-3 years, minimum.

Iknewthemwhen

6-6 would be iffy, I think some would claim he should have done better.  I think if he wins 4 or more then he is doing ok for first year considering that we loose 90% of our offense, unless Jones stays.  In that case he may be able to work some magic.

Throwback1

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 14, 2007, 02:03:41 pm
6-6 would be iffy, I think some would claim he should have done better.  I think if he wins 4 or more then he is doing ok for first year considering that we loose 90% of our offense, unless Jones stays.  In that case he may be able to work some magic.
oh, I agree..when I said would take without saying a word I really meant "would be estatic"..lol

Iknewthemwhen

We will need better receivers, more of them and a more true passing style QB.  I don't know if either of the Dick's or Emert really fit the bill, time will tell.  They just haven't thrown that much the past few years.

WBF †

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 14, 2007, 02:09:00 pm
We will need better receivers, more of them and a more true passing style QB.  I don't know if either of the Mr. C's or Emert really fit the bill, time will tell.  They just haven't thrown that much the past few years.
Petrino can develop a QB if anyone can.

Dikk is NOT a bad QB. This season will prove my point.

Iknewthemwhen

Like I said, hard to tell.  Certainly he was no worse than that kid that left, statistically,.  The game didn't really support a passing offense at the time. 

WBF †

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 14, 2007, 02:17:55 pm
Like I said, hard to tell.  Certainly he was no worse than that kid that left, statistically,.  The game didn't really support a passing offense at the time. 
Using the Tuna method: "that kid"? :)

Iknewthemwhen

Well, that kid, just didn't have the numbers in comparison.  They were almost identical, so I never figured out why Casey sucked, but the kid was great.  Numbers being what you judge on.  Plus I think the team responded better from a leadership position with Casey.

RHS

I don't think it's fair to judge Casey based on the coaches we just had leave. I think he did improve some under Lee and would have done even better next year. I still think he does fine.

As for judging Nathan, how can you? All he did was redshirt this year. Who knows how he works out. He could be in the same system for 4 years now and blow us all away.

tcockerham

AR will have a decent team next year.  Should win at least 7 or 8.  Of course for HDN that would not be a good year but for BP I am sure the fans will accept that.  We have some talent coming back and some  good talent coming in.  I think it will be a good year even without Houston.

Throwback1

Quote from: SavedByHim on December 14, 2007, 05:33:58 pm
AR will have a decent team next year.  Should win at least 7 or 8.  Of course for HDN that would not be a good year but for BP I am sure the fans will accept that.  We have some talent coming back and some  good talent coming in.  I think it will be a good year even without Houston.
...he's gone, son.  Just let it go.

memphisguy

While I had lost all confidence in Coach Nutt, I didn't want him shot like a lot of fans. That said, I am very happy with the new coach and am willing to give him time to develop his team.
Sorry for beating a dead horse but I feel compelled to give some sort of answer to those who didn't want Coach Nutt to go.
He, in my opinion, had to go for the following reasons:
1-The program was always right around average with him as coach. Every once in a while, like last year, Arkansas would shock the nation and win the West and then lose in the title game and then lose (more often than not) in the bowl game. This is just not acceptable to me. I don't want average. I want what Tennesee, Auburn, LSU and Florida has, the attitude of we should win every game and when we do lose we are stunned.
2-He never onced developed a QB which is the big reason for No. 1 above.
3-While I don't blame him totally for the Springdale mess, some of it was his fault and it hurt the team and program greatly.
4-I haven't seen next year's schedule but if Arkansas goes 6-6 with Petrino, then I feel Houston would go 3-9 because of the things written above.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: memphisguy on December 14, 2007, 05:54:21 pm
While I had lost all confidence in Coach Nutt, I didn't want him shot like a lot of fans. That said, I am very happy with the new coach and am willing to give him time to develop his team.
Sorry for beating a dead horse but I feel compelled to give some sort of answer to those who didn't want Coach Nutt to go.
He, in my opinion, had to go for the following reasons:
1-The program was always right around average with him as coach. Every once in a while, like last year, Arkansas would shock the nation and win the West and then lose in the title game and then lose (more often than not) in the bowl game. This is just not acceptable to me. I don't want average. I want what Tennesee, Auburn, LSU and Florida has, the attitude of we should win every game and when we do lose we are stunned.
2-He never onced developed a QB which is the big reason for No. 1 above.
3-While I don't blame him totally for the Springdale mess, some of it was his fault and it hurt the team and program greatly.
4-I haven't seen next year's schedule but if Arkansas goes 6-6 with Petrino, then I feel Houston would go 3-9 because of the things written above.
That my friend is a very good post. +1

jbell96

There's a bus leaving for Oxford in 10 minutes. Do us all a favor and get on it.

Throwback1

Quote from: FF Chief of Staff of the Air Force JBELL on December 14, 2007, 05:57:08 pm

There's a bus leaving for Oxford in 10 minutes. Do us all a favor and get on it.
+100

Brian G

Retro bump from what was an exciting night that was capped by the late night press conference.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas