• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone know for sure how the power ranking points work for 6A?

Started by CoachKJ, May 10, 2014, 01:53:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachKJ

Just trying to figure this out... I know Siloam Springs gets everything doubled since their conference plays only one time, but I'm unsure how the rest of the 6A South gets their points. I know the basics, 10 pts per win, bonus for 7a teams, and opponents victories, but the numbers on the standings aren't adding up correctly to my understanding. Can anyone enlighten me?

fourfourtwo

Let me see if I can shed some light on this.  It is confusing but the details are as follows:

Where conferences play double round robin and there are 8 teams:

Each 6A team gets 10 points for a conference win, 2 points for playing a 7A team, and 1 point for every conference win of your opponent the first time you beat them (you do not count them again if you beat them twice).

Example:

Team A (6A team) plays Team B (7A team with 5 conference wins) and beats them 1-0.

They would get 10 points for the conference win. 2 points for playing a 7A team. 5 points for team B's conference wins.  Total of 17 points.

If the Conference plays a single round robin, the points double for 6A teams.  If there aren't 8 teams then it gets really complicated with teams getting 2.1 points for every win of their opponent and 14 points for a conference win. 

Hope that helps.

Bloodinthewater

OK Ive got one for you to figure out:
VG 6a east
#3 Russellville 41    #4 Jonesboro 38    #5 Greenwood 30  at beginning of the week:

Jonesboro beats 6a Marion and I assume thats 10pts and gets them to 48
Russellville drop 2 games to 6a Greenwood and 7a MSM and I assume they stand at 41
Greenwood beats 6a Russellville and I assume they get 10pts and finish with 40

Is this correct?

fourfourtwo

Jonesboro plays a single round robin in their conference therefore their points double.

Jonesboro played Cabot and Marion this week.  Lost to Cabot and Beat Marion.  They get 4 points for playing a 7A team, and 20 points for beating a conference team.  Marion had no wins so they get no points for their opponents wins.  They should have 58 points now.

Russellville lost both games this week but get 2 points for playing a 7A team.  The should now have 43.

Greenwood beat Russellville and lost to Conway.  The get 14 points for the win and 2 points for playing 7A team. Greenwood and Russellville play in a conference with only 6 teams so therefore each conference win is worth 14 points.  They should now have 46 points. 

They Finish  #3 Jonesboro 58  #4 Greenwood 46  #5 Russellville 43

CoachKJ

Just to prognosticate a little, in 7A/6A South Girls next year, with the conference loss of Bryant and Fair and the additions of LR Hall and Parkview... will the girls side be only a 5 team conference and how could that impact the power points ranking system?

ricepig

Quote from: CoachKJ on May 12, 2014, 06:59:07 pm
Just to prognosticate a little, in 7A/6A South Girls next year, with the conference loss of Bryant and Fair and the additions of LR Hall and Parkview... will the girls side be only a 5 team conference and how could that impact the power points ranking system?

The 6A, and for that matter the 7A, won't be using a point system next year. Your seeds will be decided by your record against conference foes of the same classification.

NWAguy

Quote from: ricepig on May 13, 2014, 09:35:19 am
Quote from: CoachKJ on May 12, 2014, 06:59:07 pm

The 6A, and for that matter the 7A, won't be using a point system next year. Your seeds will be decided by your record against conference foes of the same classification.

Halleluiah!  (SP?)

sportsnut99

Anyone know how Siloam Springs got the 2 seed ahead of Sheridan in the girls bracket?  Before the week started it looked like Sheridan was a lock for the 2 seed.

chaoslord

Quote from: sportsnut99 on May 13, 2014, 12:06:49 pm
Anyone know how Siloam Springs got the 2 seed ahead of Sheridan in the girls bracket?  Before the week started it looked like Sheridan was a lock for the 2 seed.

If I understand things right (please someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Going into the last week, SS was 7 points behind Sheridan.

Assuming that SS beat Van Buren, they would have gotten 10 points for a conference win, 1 points for beating a 7A team, and 1 point for the victory that VB had. That's 12 points. They only play a single round robin, so it gets doubled to 24. That left them on 104.

Sheridan, assuming they beat Texarkana, would have gotten 10 points for the win and 3 points for the 3 wins Texarkana has. That'd put them on 100.

ricepig

Quote from: chaoslord on May 13, 2014, 12:52:57 pm
Quote from: sportsnut99 on May 13, 2014, 12:06:49 pm

If I understand things right (please someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Going into the last week, SS was 7 points behind Sheridan.

Assuming that SS beat Van Buren, they would have gotten 10 points for a conference win, 1 points for beating a 7A team, and 1 point for the victory that VB had. That's 12 points. They only play a single round robin, so it gets doubled to 24. That left them on 104.

Sheridan, assuming they beat Texarkana, would have gotten 10 points for the win and 3 points for the 3 wins Texarkana has. That'd put them on 100.

That would correct in that scenario.

woodpeckerfsm

Siloam gets 20 points per win. Just like in the East, the West plays a single-round robin, so everything doubles.

In the South and Central girls, they get 14 points per win and 2.1 points per opponents win. That equalizes a team playing a 14-game schedule.

I am glad I listened to my Algebra I & II teacher in 8-9 grade. Helped she was good looking, so learning math was a bonus.

Go Postal

I had the same problem trying to figure out the 7A/6A and even on how the 4A decides on who go to playoffs in their respective conferences on my pinned thread.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas