• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2009 MLB Thread

Started by msubulldogs21, January 09, 2009, 11:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SMC

Quote from: AB™ on February 04, 2009, 08:03:29 pm
They wouldn't need much pitching to compete for the NL pennant if Pujols and Manny put up their usual numbers, and Ludwick can have a repeat of his 2008 season. The Cubs are a more complete team, along with the Phillies, the most complete in the NL. But they're still the Cubs.  The Phils repeating is going to be very hard, and who knows is the Mets will ever live up to their high payroll. If the Cards could land Manny then that would put them in the conversation with the NL's best. The fact they hung around in the NL Central most of the season last year, with a bunch of no names and Pujols, says quite a bit.

You can say the Cubs are still the Cubs but we've won the Central 2 straight years. The fault of our team is that we are a "Moneyball" team which if you've read that book you know the fate of those Oakland teams - teams built on high OBP and slugging do really well over long seasons because they put up a lot of runs. However in a short playoff series all it takes is 3 or 4 bad offensive games and you're out. That is what happened to the Cubs.

The Cubs are built to have success over a long season which is the best way to assure yourselves of making the playoffs or at least competing for a berth.

suspended

so without really saying it, you've admitted the Cubs are not built for a championship.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: SMC on February 04, 2009, 08:21:53 pm
Quote from: AB™ on February 04, 2009, 08:03:29 pm
They wouldn't need much pitching to compete for the NL pennant if Pujols and Manny put up their usual numbers, and Ludwick can have a repeat of his 2008 season. The Cubs are a more complete team, along with the Phillies, the most complete in the NL. But they're still the Cubs.  The Phils repeating is going to be very hard, and who knows is the Mets will ever live up to their high payroll. If the Cards could land Manny then that would put them in the conversation with the NL's best. The fact they hung around in the NL Central most of the season last year, with a bunch of no names and Pujols, says quite a bit.

You can say the Cubs are still the Cubs but we've won the Central 2 straight years. The fault of our team is that we are a "Moneyball" team which if you've read that book you know the fate of those Oakland teams - teams built on high OBP and slugging do really well over long seasons because they put up a lot of runs. However in a short playoff series all it takes is 3 or 4 bad offensive games and you're out. That is what happened to the Cubs.

The Cubs are built to have success over a long season which is the best way to assure yourselves of making the playoffs or at least competing for a berth.
Combine a team not being built for a short series with the un-godly pressure the bleacher bums puts on the teams when they get there. So they have all that on their shoulders and they crumble.

SMC

Quote from: suspended on February 04, 2009, 08:29:25 pm
so without really saying it, you've admitted the Cubs are not built for a championship.

No, I'm saying we are built for long-term success (you do have to MAKE the playoffs do win them), but we are susceptible to getting beat in a short series if we happen to not be playing our best.

JLo, you're right about the pressure. I think the Cubs would have done a lot better in the playoffs last year if we had won the first game. We were ahead, Dempster gave up a grand slam and everyone let their head drop.

The longer we are IN the playoffs, the more chance our offense breaks out. In just 3 games, we can lose to anyone because we don't "manufacture runs" like the D'backs or Dodgers did.

AB™

I actually just bought Moneyball a couple of days ago and plan on starting it in the next day or two. The last two or three baseball books I've read make several Moneyball refrences. I do agree with and like that concept. But like you said, it is more set up to fail in the postseason.

bulldogs1159

I love Netflix. I just finished watching the entire 7th game of the 82 series and I am watching game 5 of the 85 NLCS.

GO CRAZY FOLKS GO CRAZY!

msubulldogs21

My worst fear is that Manny signs with NYY. Man I wish the freaking Dodgers and him would get something done soon. I keep thinking in the back of my head he's going to end up in New York at a discounted price. And I don't care what Brian Cashman says about not pursuing him. You know they're considering it.

AB™

If they sign Manny, then not only do they have to win the World Series, but they also have to win at least 110 games.  No excuses.

msubulldogs21

Anyone else been watching the Caribbean World Series? It's live on the MLB Network. Some of the players I don't even recognize but it's awesome to see live baseball for a change. I'm itching for the season to start, which is exactly 2 months from today.

Standings:

Venezuela 4-0
Mexico 3-1
Dominican Republic 1-4
Puerto Rico 1-4

Infamous

I just saw on ESPN that A-Rod tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003, his last season with the Rangers.

Indiana Jones

Quote from: Infamous on February 07, 2009, 09:52:58 am
I just saw on ESPN that A-Rod tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003, his last season with the Rangers.
link for the lazy
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/07/alex-rodriguez-steroids/index.html

msubulldogs21

Another signing I just thought of that was never discussed on here was Jon Garland signing a 1 year deal with the D-backs. Webb/Haren/Garland is a really nice 1-2-3. If they can get decent production from the back end of the rotation they've got a pretty nice shot at winning the NL West.

SMC

How about the Cardinals cutting Adam Kennedy? According to rumors, the Cards don't want to spend the money to sign a free agent 2B (like Orlando Hudson, who would be a huge upgrade) and instead want to promote from within.

The options listed on mlbtraderumors.com were Brendan Ryan, Brian Barden, Joe Thurston, Tyler Greene, and Skip Schumaker. Skip plays 2B?

jbell96

I have no problem with Kennedy leaving, but why the Cardinals are paying him four million is beyond me.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: SMC on February 10, 2009, 12:01:27 am
According to rumors, the Cards don't want to spend the money

What? St. Louis doesn't want to spend money?!? No way!

But seriously, yall need to sign the O-Dawg. That would be a great move. I hope the Cardinals don't though. He's one of my favorite non-Red Sox players.

SMC

I read that Kennedy was owed 4.45M if he stayed with STL. Now that they released him, they still have to pay 4M.

What team in the world cuts their starting 2B to save less than half a million dollars?

AB™

Apparently the Cardinals. Only signing Hudson could save this dumb move by the Cards front office.

msubulldogs21

Braden Looper signed a deal with the Brewers.

jbell96

Quote from: SMC on February 10, 2009, 08:36:53 pm
I read that Kennedy was owed 4.45M if he stayed with STL. Now that they released him, they still have to pay 4M.

What team in the world cuts their starting 2B to save less than half a million dollars?

Kennedy was becoming a problem in the clubhouse. He complained all last year about having to split time at 2nd so we decided to cut our losses.

SMC

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on February 11, 2009, 08:57:39 am

Lose Sabathia and Sheets, sign....Looper?

LOL Brewers

jbell96

To me, Braden Looper = Jeff Suppan

AB™

Abreu has agreed to a one year deal with the Angels. Yanks losing some pop out of their lineup, but Abreu wasn't expected to be around next year anyway.

SMC

Abreu is decent but aging. Nice pickup for the Halos as a stop gap.

AB™

Abreau somewhat feels the void left behind by Tex.

msubulldogs21

Nice pickup by LAA.

Adam Dunn also signed a 2/20 with the Nationals.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: SMC on February 11, 2009, 09:58:29 am
Quote from: msubulldogs21 on February 11, 2009, 08:57:39 am

Lose Sabathia and Sheets, sign....Looper?

LOL Brewers

Aside from the Cubs (who may run away with it) I think the NL Central has the potential to regress back to terrible status again. The Cardinals have done nothing significant, Brewers done nothing, Astros aren't anything special, Reds suck, and Pirates suck.

jbell96

Josh, you forget the Cardinals dropped Izzy, and as we all know that is addition by subtraction.

SMC

The Cubs should be better as we got more balance in the lineup with 2 LH bats (Bradley and Fontenot, who will start since we shipped DeRosa). Marmol and Gregg is an upgrade at closer over Wood. Starting rotation is still very good, even if Harden spends time on the DL. The lineup has more pop too since we have Bradley and Fukudome in RF/CF instead of Fukudome and Reed Johnson/Jim Edmonds.

The Brewers still can hit a ton but their pitching staff is not good enough. I will be really disappointed if either they or the Cardinals are still pushing the Cubs into September.

The PECOTA predictions by Baseball America has the NL Central turning out like this, which I think is a fairly accurate guess at this point:
Cubs 95-67
Brewers 83-79
Cardinals 80-82
Reds 79-83
Astros 66-96
Pirates 65-97

For the record, here are their other predictions:
NL East
Mets 93-69
Braves 88-74
Phillies 88-74
Nationals 78-84
Marlins 74-88

NL West
D'backs 90-72
Dodgers 84-78
Giants 79-83
Rockies 78-84
Padres 74-88

AL East
Red Sox 98-64
Yankees 97-65
Rays 92-70
Blue Jays 81-81
Orioles 76-86

AL Central
Indians 84-78
Twins 79-83
Tigers 78-84
Royals 75-87
White Sox 74-88

AL West
A's 82-80
Angels 79-83
Rangers 73-89
Mariners 70-92

AB™

What in the world is possessing them to think we will finish 88-74 and tied with the Phillies?  We didn't improve in the offseason and don't have a big bat in the middle of the lineup to put any kind of fear in opposing pitchers.  I'm still as upset with our front office this year as I have been in quite some time.  I'm starting to get a very short fuse with them.

SMC

Well they predict you to have better pitching/D than Philly. But the Phils to obviously have a better offense.

This is their Runs Scored/Runs Allowed prediction for the NLE.

Mets 833/713
Braves 818/742
Phillies 837/756
Nats 780/808
Marlins 767/819

They also have the Braves pegged for the highest team OBP in the NLE so maybe they have you guys scratching out some small-ball wins.

AB™

We've got a pretty ideal lineup to play Beane Ball.  Not much pop though.  A lot of our wins are going to have to be by manufacturing runs, our rotation being steady and having a steady bullpen.  We suffered a ton of injuries to the entire pitching staff, that at one point in the season I recoginzed two pitchers that were on the opening day roster.  I think we can be solid and play above .500 ball this year if we stay healthy.  We have added some decent arms to the pitching staff.  We'll have to see.

CHSBISON77

acctually a lil shocked they got the redsox ahead of the yanks *which im not complaining about btw* but after the NYSKANKEES opened up there checkbooks about everybody has picked them...however...GO REDSOX!!!  ;D

AB™

Also, today, Dunn signed a 2/20 deal with the Nationals.

suspended

Quote from: CHSBISON77 on February 11, 2009, 09:20:15 pm
acctually a lil shocked they got the redsox ahead of the yanks *which im not complaining about btw* but after the NYSKANKEES opened up there checkbooks about everybody has picked them...however...GO REDSOX!!!  ;D

Doesn't shock me, the Yankees haven't proved anything yet except that they can spend money.

msubulldogs21

Griffey is supposed to make his decision on either Atlanta or Seattle today.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but I really don't think it's a very impactful move regardless of which team he picks. He's not even an everyday player any more. I'm sure it would sell some tickets, but in the big picture I don't think it's that big of a deal.

AB™

If only Atlanta had tried to make this move 10 years ago. I guess I still wouldn't mind having him but it's not the end of the world if we don't get him.

suspended

Quote from: AB™ on February 17, 2009, 02:09:57 pm
If only Atlanta had tried to make this move 10 years ago. I guess I still wouldn't mind having him but it's not the end of the world if we don't get him.

I don't see how getting him would help us. Maybe in terms of leadership in the clubhouse but I don't see much other benefit from acquiring him.

AB™

He isn't going to do much in the way of contributing at the plate if we get him.

SMC

Who is Atlanta's starting outfield? I had Francouer on my fantasy team a couple years ago and he drove in 100 runs. Then last year he got sent to the minors. Maybe Griffey can at least be a mentor for them.

RHS

I think I want to punch Bud Selig more than anyone else that has been implicated in the steroids fiasco. Him and the leader of the players union who fought so hard against testing.

SMC

The players really got the owners by the balls after the 94 strike. The owners had to get the players back so bad they agreed to whatever the players wanted (no salary cap, no testing). And people wonder why it got out of control.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: SMC on February 17, 2009, 08:39:26 pm
Who is Atlanta's starting outfield? I had Francouer on my fantasy team a couple years ago and he drove in 100 runs. Then last year he got sent to the minors. Maybe Griffey can at least be a mentor for them.

Um, Francoeur, Matt Diaz, and Brandon Jones are the main three I can think of. Griffey would play some, I just don't think signing him is anything to get excited about. Heck, if I was a Braves fan I'd probably rather not sign him so they could play some of the young guys and give them a shot.

AB™

February 17, 2009, 11:05:54 pm #92 Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:13:28 pm by AB™
Quote from: SMC on February 17, 2009, 08:39:26 pm

It depends really.  Griffey probably wouldn't be a full-time starter.  Taking days off againt righties.  Franceour really has surprised me with how much he has declined as an all-around player since his breakout rookie campaign where he showed signs of not only being a great fielder but very productive at the plate.  Now he's going to have to perform pretty well in spring training to beat out Jason Heyward.  Really there are 5 or 6 options to stick in the out field.  None of which are big names and won't be a real fantasy player.  We do have some very promising prospects, that if a couple of them have a breakout year, could go a long way in being the difference between us flirting with .500 and flirting with the wildcard.

I think it'll look something like this, if we sign Griffey, which some reports seem to have us as the favorite.

LF - Matt Diaz/Griffey

CF - Josh Anderson/Jason Schafer(CF of the future.  Promising prospect who got caught up in HGH allegations a year ago bu

RF - Francoeur/Jason Heyward(Francoeur isn't a lock.  Heyward is another prospect with potential to be good.)

Then you've got Gregor Blanco and Brandon Jones that will probably see some time in the OF this season as well.

RHS

Why would you take Griffey out against righties, since he is a lefty?

AB™

I meant the other way around.  My bad.  I do think, right now, we are going to land him though.  Again, nothing to be too excited about.  But you never know, it could be a pleasant surprise in the end.

SMC

Has Griffey ever played LF before? I know he was playing RF the last few years for the Reds and Sox.

Can this Heyward guy play LF?

AB™

Some of the Braves blogs I read seem to think we'll have him in LF if we get him.  I'm not putting full stock into those, but there was more than one that had him splitting time in left and/or right field in the 2009 projected starting lineups.  I guess we won't really know until we get him and see what Cox wants to do.  As for Heyward I'm not really sure.  My guess is he can play either corner outfield position.  I don't even see how playing LF can be much different than RF other than getting used to certain dimensions in different parks.  All I go on is following two or three of the more popular and most read Braves Blogs, and all of them, at some point and time this offseason, have spoke very highly of Heyward and Schafer.  We seem to be going with a youth movement which is ok with me, if we lock up McCann, Johnson, and Escobar, to long term deals.  We have a pretty solid farm system with some very good prospects.  Tommy Hanson is supposed to be a stud pitching prospect.  He's a big reason we didn't pull the trigger on the Peavy deal.  He along with either Escobar or Johnson were who the Padres were wanting in return.  I hope he is as good as he has been advertised to be.  He better be since we kept him and passed on Peavy.

AB™

Looks like Griffey had been holding out waiting for the Mariners offer.  It was reported that Atlanta seemed to have a great chance at getting him but now it is being reported he signed a one year deal with Seattle.

dc24

Yes, I'm so happy Griffey is back with the Mariners.

RHS

It's where he belongs. I understood Cincy since he was going to be close to his father. Atlanta would have made no sense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas