• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma Airedale Basketball 2014-2015 (22-5) (10-3)

Started by AT, October 02, 2014, 11:15:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

Quote from: Almahasbeen on December 09, 2014, 11:22:43 pm
Trackster if we can pull a win against vb where would you rank this team to the past 5 years of teams or even ten years

That's tough hasbeen...give me a little longer and I can give you a better answer. They have all the ability to be one of the best teams to come through. Their defense is what separates them.

ahsalum

Alma has always tended to be giant killers....last night was no different. Monk obviously had a bad night of shooting....but credit the Alma D a little for the harassment that caused him to hurry some shots....

It's already been stated and I want to reiterate it.....Alma is thuggish on defense.......you gonna have to earn it on them.

Austin lee was phenomenal as always and Braylon Parker played huge last night amongst the trees....Jake was blue collar like he always is. Jake played pissed off....I like that.... Alex Beneaux played great defense and hit some big 3's...Heath Friddle guarded Malik most of the night and did a fantastic job. Blue collar as usual too......

The game and the atmosphere had a state tournament feel to it last night....

Monk dunkometer stands at 0 after last night...not in our house....maybe in VB's house! but not up in here.....

ahsalum

Something interesting.....there was a write up about the Alma/Bennie girls game but nothing about the boys game. Crickets....

Why is that? Eric Bolin did a write up on the girls game. I know he was there for the boys game because he tweeted that Friddle and Monk were jawing back and forth in the fourth quarter..

Give these boys the respect they damn well deserve......

WPWells

Same thing happened the other night when Charleston played Van Buren within one point. All other games from the Citizens Bank tournament that night got a write-up besides that one

ahsalum

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 10, 2014, 08:46:35 am
Same thing happened the other night when Charleston played Van Buren within one point. All other games from the Citizens Bank tournament that night got a write-up besides that one

They don't want to give credit where credit is due.....cowards.

SNWA

If your name is not Northside or Southside, then goodluck.   Does anyone know that the Greenwood girls are 8 and 0 and have mercy clocked 6 out of the 8. Heck no......but we will know every Ft Smith athletes favorite foods, hobbies and accomplishments. This has been on going. One thing for sure is that Alma does get more coverage than GW because of Kevin Taylor. He does a great job in that area. Maybe the writer resides in VB. lol. Sorry to all my Ft Smith friends, I know that they deserve it, but the local coverage is horrible. Perry, Alma will get write ups next week about wins over Mulberry, Mt Burg and Cedarville and have already had a few others......Have not seen one about the team from south Sebastian county yet....like everything else, all political.
Great win for the Airedales last night. They deserve the coverage.

ricepig

Looks like a good opportunity for someone to start the Greenwood Gazette.

ahsalum

Quote from: SNWA on December 10, 2014, 09:34:18 am
If your name is not Northside or Southside, then goodluck. 
Exactly. KT does cover Alma a lot. But other than that...nope. I get it and all. I mean...it's like a 15 minute drive from the Fort.

WPWells

Kevin Taylor is an excellent sportswriter who has roots and enjoys this area. He's the only one that 12th Man truly enjoys reading. 12th Man also enjoyed Grant Tolley when he was there

A-Good-One

If your name is not Northside or Southside, then goodluck.   Does anyone know that the Greenwood girls are 8 and 0 and have mercy clocked 6 out of the 8. Heck no......but we will know every Ft Smith athletes favorite foods, hobbies and accomplishments. This has been on going. One thing for sure is that Alma does get more coverage than GW because of Kevin Taylor. He does a great job in that area. Maybe the writer resides in VB. lol. Sorry to all my Ft Smith friends, I know that they deserve it, but the local coverage is horrible. Perry, Alma will get write ups next week about wins over Mulberry, Mt Burg and Cedarville and have already had a few others......Have not seen one about the team from south Sebastian county yet....like everything else, all political.

Then you're not looking:

http://swtimes.com/sports/greenwood-fights-fayetteville

A-Good-One

Quote from: Steve Perry on December 10, 2014, 08:48:42 am

Nothing to do with cowards. To do with deadlines. Games don't finish by 9, they don't make the paper. Simple as that.

ahsalum

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on December 10, 2014, 10:44:22 am

Nothing to do with cowards. To do with deadlines. Games don't finish by 9, they don't make the paper. Simple as that.

So what you're telling me is that it will be in tomorrow's paper......Ok. Holding you to it.

ahsalum

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on December 10, 2014, 10:42:48 am

Then you're not looking:

Anyone can go back and find 1 article somewhere. I think what SNWA is talking about is on a week to week basis there's more coverage of Grizzlies and Rebels.

If a Ft Smith athlete takes a piss outside...there's a write up about it.

ahsalum

Cowards may have been a bit harsh. My bad. Just checked and there is an article online about the game. Thanks Eric Bolin.

I still stand by my statement about Ft Smith athletes.

DerekOxford

Quote from: Steve Perry on December 10, 2014, 11:22:39 am

Then you're not looking:

Anyone can go back and find 1 article somewhere. I think what SNWA is talking about is on a week to week basis there's more coverage of Grizzlies and Rebels.

They're a Fort Smith paper. City schools are going to get more priority. It's just how it works. When I was in Texarkana, the focus was always on Arkansas High, Texas High, Liberty-Eylau and Pleasant Grove.

From there, all of the area schools got the best coverage that a four-man staff could provide. Once it got into playoffs, as city schools were eliminated (or didn't qualify), the area schools got full priority. It's nothing against the area schools. It's just how it works.

A-Good-One

Quote from: Steve Perry on December 10, 2014, 11:22:39 am

Then you're not looking:

Well, he said "one," so I posted "one."

SNWA

Thanks Doc... I stand corrected......I'm glad out of our 8 games we did get a wright up....on second thought, after the 35 point Southside win , they did  a paragraph on the 3rd page about the game...Same day had full front page on SS boys big win over Waldron. I would be willing to bet that there are as many if not more people buying and subscribed to the SWT outside of the Fort as in. Back in the 80s and 90s it seemed like it was much more spread out. I still have scrap book with all of my clippings. I think mainly in the 2000s it started changing over however thanks to writers like Kevin, the small schools are not forgotten. My lands, I promise you that Mountainburg girls had more write-ups last year than we did. Maybe we just need to move in a sports writer... ;D ;D ;D

A-Good-One

A-Good-One

Also, I'm not sure your promises mean much:

Greenwood had nine games covered after January 1, 2014 of last season.

Mountainburg had five, two of which came in the postseason (which was was local, whereas 6A state tournament was not).

DerekOxford

Quote from: SNWA on December 10, 2014, 11:56:52 am
Thanks Doc... I stand corrected......I'm glad out of our 8 games we did get a wright up....on second thought, after the 35 point Southside win , they did  a paragraph on the 3rd page about the game...Same day had full front page on SS boys big win over Waldron. I would be willing to bet that there are as many if not more people buying and subscribed to the SWT outside of the Fort as in. Back in the 80s and 90s it seemed like it was much more spread out. I still have scrap book with all of my clippings. I think mainly in the 2000s it started changing over however thanks to writers like Kevin, the small schools are not forgotten. My lands, I promise you that Mountainburg girls had more write-ups last year than we did. Maybe we just need to move in a sports writer... ;D ;D ;D

Well back in the 80s and 90s, there was a lot more room in the sports section and the sports staff was probably a lot bigger. Now there's less pages and less sports staff, but the same amount of teams to cover.

SNWA

Doc, where are you getting all of your info?  4 of those last year were simply because we were playing fort smith schools. If we won, it was paragraph....if we lost it was front page....There used to be a full basketball section with all local teams getting a write-up. So math wise...4 against fort smith schools plus 2 others against Conway, #1 vs #2 or3 in state, equals 6. So that leaves 3 more with games vs Hall, Parkview twice and record run through state tournament and state championship. We were ranked top 5 all year also. And we border the Fort. I guess maybe what I'm missing is that all Fort Smith games are covered and only our home games....Your right Ricepig, we just need another paper. ADG does great job but mainly other side of state and SWT does great job covering the Fort.

A-Good-One

My info comes the newspapers I have in my house. That's why I delayed between typing those two responses, went to go look.

How do you know four was simply because you were playing Fort Smith schools? And how would it be four? I guess if you mean four both boys and girls - but if you mean that then the number changes to way more than eight. It actually would be 10 (or 19 if you count both boys and girls).

And Northside/Southside away games don't get "covered." They may get a brief write-up, but no one is traveling to those games.

http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-williams-powers-greenwood-past-parkview - January 11
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-greenwood-overpowers-southside - January 14
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-greenwood-coasts-past-hall - January 18
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-top-ranked-northside-clips-no-2-greenwood - January 22
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-greenwood-hammers-russellville-55-23 - January 29
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-southside-sweeps-greenwood - February 12
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-greenwood-focused-revenge - February 19 (note: Greenwood got two stories for one game - this one and the next one)
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-greenwood-upsets-northside-58-56 - February 19
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-greenwood-easily-tops-mount-st-mary - February 22
http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-conway-holds-greenwood - March 1

SNWA

Thanks for clearing that up....5 of those are against the Fort Smith schools.....the 4 came from we play both schools 2 times.

AT

Dang it guys, Alma just beat Bentonville, let's celebrate!

SNWA

OK Alma, I was there and it was one heck of a game.....The Alma boys are so scrappy....it is hard to go into that place and beat them. I also love how the student body makes its presence known in BOTH games. My hat is off to them. We will be there Feb 17th and expect a lot of the same.

A-Good-One

Quote from: SNWA on December 10, 2014, 02:22:36 pm
Thanks for clearing that up....5 of those are against the Fort Smith schools.....the 4 came from we play both schools 2 times.

So nine of the 14 games were covered. The ones that weren't were in Russellville or farther down I-40.

I just don't think it's quite as bad as you made it out to be. There were certainly no "one paragraph" things when Greenwood won.

A-Good-One

As for Alma, they're ridiculously good. The Van Buren games should be classics.

SNWA

OK Doc , last one....did you see the write up on the 35 point win at SS a couple of weeks ago? Paragraph

SNWA

I may be wrong but I see Alma as a home team....I think that they will be pushed in most conference games on the road....Siloam and Russellville both will battle and yes Im saying it now, Alma will be tested at GW. They have a ton of heart , well coached and can scrap with anyone, but you let Lee have a cold night and I don't believe they have enough scoring to win on road. That being said, last night was awesome.

A-Good-One

Quote from: SNWA on December 10, 2014, 03:09:10 pm
OK Doc , last one....did you see the write up on the 35 point win at SS a couple of weeks ago? Paragraph

You mean the one that was a 35-point win on the same night of an overtime game between two local teams? I did.

SNWA

A-Good-One

Precisely. A 3A team ran with a 7A one. Whereas a 6A school beat the smack out of a 7A one.

If you're telling me you'd rather read the second one - if you removed the team names from the equation - you're bonkers.

Anyway, it was written by Taylor. I thought he was the good one?

AT

Alma has a quick turn around with the Charles B. Dyer classic (read: Crawford County Tournament minus VB).

Thursday they play Mountainburg, Friday they play Mulberry, Saturday they play Cedarville.

Going against my usual "can't underestimate any team" cliché, Alma is better than all these teams. I have actually seen Mountainburg and Cedarville this year. Both of these are probably their least talented teams in a few years.

This is what Alma needs to do in my opinion:

Don't make the mistake Bentonville might have made and think "it's just Alma, we got this" and go through the motions. Respect every opponent and play as hard as you need to for as long as you need to. If the game allows it, get playing time for bench players who need more experience. Do the little things still and make them a habit.

SNWA

And you my friend are bonkers if you think that if the score was reversed and SS beat GW by 35 that the girls game would not have headlined on frt page.....oh well, we have established that we are both bonkers and we could go on for days, but as for this post and respect for Trackster, great job Alma.

A-Good-One

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 10, 2014, 04:05:05 pm
Alma has a quick turn around with the Charles B. Dyer classic (read: Crawford County Tournament minus VB).

Thursday they play Mountainburg, Friday they play Mulberry, Saturday they play Cedarville.

Going against my usual "can't underestimate any team" cliché, Alma is better than all these teams. I have actually seen Mountainburg and Cedarville this year. Both of these are probably their least talented teams in a few years.

This is what Alma needs to do in my opinion:

Don't make the mistake Bentonville might have made and think "it's just Alma, we got this" and go through the motions. Respect every opponent and play as hard as you need to for as long as you need to. If the game allows it, get playing time for bench players who need more experience. Do the little things still and make them a habit.

Alma has about a .3 chance of losing any of the games this tournament.

A-Good-One

Quote from: SNWA on December 10, 2014, 04:06:27 pm
And you my friend are bonkers if you think that if the score was reversed and SS beat GW by 35 that the girls game would not have headlined on frt page.....oh well, we have established that we are both bonkers and we could go on for days, but as for this post and respect for Trackster, great job Alma.

Oh, but, I am not bonkers. Because I agree. It would have been the lead story in sports if SS beat GW by 35. Because Greenwood is crazy good this year and Southside, well, isn't.

ahsalum

I will say this.... Kevin Taylor has covered Alma sports well... He does an excellent job.

Razorback Red

Congrats Alma on the big win last night.  Great win against one of the top programs in the state.

I didn't get to go, but I followed on twitter, and Alma took advantage of what was there.  Bville had a bad shooting night and it sounded like Alma's D made them earn every point.  It also sounded like Bville got into a bit of foul trouble, which is never good on the road against good teams. 

I'm hopeful last nights game will sting for a few days as the Tigers prepare for the big tourney in Ft Myers, FL next week against some of the top teams in the country. 

AT

December 12, 2014, 10:56:19 am #139 Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:41:22 am by Almatrackster
Finals from Night 1 of the Charles B. Dyer Classic (Last night)

Girls
Alma - 59
Mountainburg - 40

Boys
Alma - 71
Mountainburg - 32

The girls and boys play Mulberry tonight. Mulberry boys beat Cedarville last night and Mulberry girls lost to Cedarville last night.

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 12, 2014, 10:56:19 am

Girls
Alma - 59
Mountainburg - 40

Boys
Alma - 71
Mountainburg - 32

The girls and boys play Mulberry tonight. Mulberry boys beat Cedarville last night and Mulberry girls lost to Cedarville last night.

I didn't attend last night's games against Mountainburg so can't really say what happened. I know the Airedales invoked the mercy rule halfway through the 3rd.

Pretty sure mercy rule doesn't start until the 4th qt.

AT

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2014, 11:36:55 am
Quote from: Almatrackster on December 12, 2014, 10:56:19 am

Girls
Alma - 59
Mountainburg - 40

Boys
Alma - 71
Mountainburg - 32

I didn't attend last night's games against Mountainburg so can't really say what happened. I know the Airedales invoked the mercy rule halfway through the 3rd.

Pretty sure mercy rule doesn't start until the 4th qt.

Ah. I always figured it was just the 2nd half like football. You're probably right, I'll edit and omit that.

AT

Finals from tonight

Girls
Alma - 71
Mulberry - 57

Boys
Alma - 70
Mulberry - 24

Alma plays Cedarville tomorrow. Cedarville girls have beat Mulberry and Mountainburg. Cedarville boys lost to Mulberry and beat Mountainburg.

backatyou

I think Van Buren has this figured right nothing to gain playing this tournament our Sophmores are looking really good against thsee teams and our starters are just to strong for this level of play.

JTthegreat16

Can alma win it all this year? I haven't had the privilege of seeing them play yet.

Burks

The Alma boys will have a hard time winning the 6A State. The 6A is the TOUGHEST Basketball Tourney BAR NONE! Parkview, Hall, Pine Bluff, Jonesboro and Benton will make it tough for the Airedales.

jking7

December 13, 2014, 06:16:52 am #146 Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:19:06 am by jking7
The Alma Boys are a very good team this year but like  Burks said the 6a is loaded so it will be very hard for Alma to win it. They could finish as the 4th or 5th best team in 6a but probably win state in most of the other classes.

ahsalum

Quote from: Burks on December 13, 2014, 12:09:28 am
The Alma boys will have a hard time winning the 6A State. The 6A is the TOUGHEST Basketball Tourney BAR NONE! Parkview, Hall, Pine Bluff, Jonesboro and Benton will make it tough for the Airedales.

Good. We don't want a cakewalk to the finals.

Better not count out Alma because they are playing up in a new classification.....this Alma team is as scrappy as I've ever seen here at Alma...very hard to put away(well..they haven't been yet) and they are loaded to the gills in the 9th grade this year so the next three years could be even better.

I'm a realist.....I know it's going to be harder this year.....but i also wouldn't be surprised to see them in the finals either......I don't know how we will handle the night in night out athleticism of the schedule we will face...it could take its toll on us down the stretch.....time will tell.

jking7

December 13, 2014, 11:32:21 am #148 Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:34:03 am by jking7
Quote from: Steve Perry on December 13, 2014, 10:54:34 am

Better not count out Alma because they are playing up in a new classification.....this Alma team is as scrappy as I've ever seen here at Alma...very hard to put away(well..they haven't been yet) and they are loaded to the gills in the 9th grade this year so the next three years could be even better.

I'm a realist.....I know it's going to be harder this year.....but i also wouldn't be surprised to see them in the finals either......I don't know how we will handle the night in night out athleticism of the schedule we will face...it could take its toll on us down the stretch.....time will tell.

I hope they do make the finals! I want to see all the River valley teams win. How cool would it be to have all the state champs be from the River valley(also the two VB,Alma games will be amazing this year.)

A-Good-One

Quote from: Steve Perry on December 13, 2014, 10:54:34 am

You won't have that much more "night-in, night-out" athleticism than in 5A West. 7A/6A Central is a pretty terrible conference this year. VB and Alma are head-and-shoulders the best two teams. And that's kind of a problem when 6A State rolls around. Because that's where you'll get overwhelming athleticism.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas