• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Track/Cross Country

Started by ~WPS~, December 09, 2010, 08:04:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ86

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 02, 2011, 08:37:08 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on February 02, 2011, 09:18:38 am
Also, sevenof400, I have been wondering the same thing. It will depend on the temperature for the next two days most likely.

According to Ch 11's website, U of A is closed tomorrow (Feb 2).  Can't see how this weekend's meet will occur but you never know....

meet cancelled.  sucks to cancel 50% of the indoor season.

MHSGrad

What ever happened to McCorkell?

MHS_Tigerfan_#11

Quote from: DJ86 on February 03, 2011, 10:03:51 pm
Also, sevenof400, I have been wondering the same thing. It will depend on the temperature for the next two days most likely.

According to Ch 11's website, U of A is closed tomorrow (Feb 2).  Can't see how this weekend's meet will occur but you never know....

Will they reschedule this meet?

AT

Quote from: MHS_Tigerfan_#11 on February 05, 2011, 09:01:13 pm
Quote from: DJ86 on February 03, 2011, 10:03:51 pm

Will they reschedule this meet?

I can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt it. It would have to be on a weekday if they did, but I don't think the University would do that because it interferes with the Razorbacks practicing. It can't be this coming weekend because of the Tyson Invitational.

So they will probably just only have the state indoor meet.

InYoGrill

Trackster, Dem Eagles gonna PUNISH!  ;D

RATTLER43

They have never rescheduled in the past that I am aware of. We even had the state indoor meet canceled one year due to snow storm.

Another blast is scheduled for this Wednesday.

Back to track.....

RATTLER43

By the end of February we need to get everybodies' picks to win state in the various classifications. A number of posters have already begun. That will be your first pick. Then the week before state all of us can make our updates based upon athlete progressions, injuries, depth, etc.

AT

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 06, 2011, 03:21:01 pm
Trackster, Dem Eagles gonna PUNISH!  ;D

We'll see....we'll see ;D

RATTLER43

Razorback early recruits are top-notch. Bucknam may be getting this  thing rolling again.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on February 08, 2011, 10:43:17 pm
Razorback early recruits are top-notch. Bucknam may be getting this  thing rolling again.

Yes, they are.

Bucknam seems to like multi-event athletes. He has brought in the top 3 prep decathletes in the country from last year now.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 09, 2011, 01:48:14 pm

Yes, they are.

Bucknam seems to like multi-event athletes. He has brought in the top 3 prep decathletes in the country from last year now.

Now that is something I've been wanting to hear about. It's about time we get this monster machine rolling again!

InYoGrill

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 09, 2011, 01:48:14 pm

Yes, they are.

RATTLER43

Hope so. The old indoor meets were incredible when we would be dominating and the crowd calling the Hogs. Real intensity indoors.

vtown22

rumor is that orlando robinson has moved to Louisiana? anyone know anything about this?

AT

Quote from: vtown22 on February 09, 2011, 09:21:15 pm
rumor is that orlando robinson has moved to Louisiana? anyone know anything about this?

If thats true, then Crossett's expectations for this year just dropped tremendously...

vtown22

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 09, 2011, 10:55:46 pm

If thats true, then Crossett's expectations for this year just dropped tremendously...

I heard that rumor and I also know that he had an injury that caused him to miss football season...heard it was acl

MHSGrad

The thing that no one is considering is that Crossett can only score 2 more points with robinson then they did last year.. He got first in every event except the LJ, i do believe.. He cant be any more dominate then he was last year bc he nearly scored max points..

vtown22

i agree about crossett...I think top three will be Magnolia, Alma, and Vilonia battling with Crossett in top 4 with Orlando..without him, they aren't top ten!

RATTLER43

I just hope he is okay. I hate injuries. My top female runner tore ACL in basketball last season. We are working hard hoping for a great outdoor season this year. I know how depressing it was for her and our team. I don't wish that on anybody, even our arch-rivals.

AT

I'm really anxious to get track started so I'm wasting time by doing some more Arkansas tracksters at other Arkansas colleges.

Michael Allen (UCA - middle distance - from Russellville) - This guy was a superb runner in high school. A very nice guy, too. He is a freshmen and so far he has run a best of 2:01.31. That is a good start for a small college freshmen.

James Anderson (UCA - High Jump - from Beebe) - This guy was a very good high jumper from Beebe. I watched him at the 5A state meet my sophomore year and was blown away. His best jump so far is 6'8.75". That is great for small college and even pretty good for a bigger college.

Taron Dunn (UALR - Horizontal Jumps - from Magnolia) - One of the guys who stabbed Alma in the heart my sophomore year and took state back home to Magnolia. He was a great triple jumper in high school and seems to be doing well so far at UALR. He is a sophomore now and has bests of 23' 2.75" in long jump and 48' 8.25". That triple jump is very good...

Demond Burns (UALR - Sprints - from Smackover) - Here is a small town guy for Rattler. He is UALR's best sprinter this year as a junior. He has a 100 meter dash best of 10.44. That is very good for a small college. I'm not certain about this, but I think he was kinda close to making NCAA championships this past season. He also has a 200 best of 21.05 which is also very fast.

RATTLER43

That is fast. My bests at my small school over my 22 years of coaching are:
6'5" high jumper Jeremy Wortham with no pit to work on it.....
10.76 FAT 100m Roy Carey.....
Chris McCleod was going to be my next great before he moved. He ran a 2:00 his freshman year for me as my first leg on 4x800m relay... He got sidetracked but invited me to his wedding this past year. Things are going fine for all three who have moved forward in life. Carey ran in Kansas; Wortham got his degree at ASU; and McCleod is married..... Life is good.

I try to keep up with all my former athletes.

InYoGrill

WE need more coaches like you Rattler that have passion for their sport and a heart for their student/athletes. Keep it up!  :)

RATTLER43

Thank you.  You are much too kind.   :)  :-[

I know some wonderful mentor/coaches. I just learned from them.

I just saw on the news where it is supposed to be near 70 degrees later in the week just in time for indoor state. Hope we can get in some really good practices. Good luck to your teams. Most of your teams compete on Saturday. We are there Friday evening.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on February 11, 2011, 10:44:06 am
Thank you.  You are much too kind.   :)  :-[

I know some wonderful mentor/coaches. I just learned from them.

I just saw on the news where it is supposed to be near 70 degrees later in the week just in time for indoor state. Hope we can get in some really good practices. Good luck to your teams. Most of your teams compete on Saturday. We are there Friday evening.

Rattler, I hope its warm for the rest of the year. I know that when I ran for Alma, Coach Mac always said January and February are some of the most important times to improve. I hope that all this snow won't affect the competitiveness of this year's track season.

RATTLER43

Agreed. That is what I am most worried about. I, too, am ready for it to just warm up and remain warm.

scoreboard

Where do you coach a Rattler?   MAgazine?  Mboro?

RATTLER43

RATTLER43

Tyson Invitational concluded with some big time results from some great teams. I sure hope some of those JUCO kids come to the hill.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on February 12, 2011, 10:46:38 pm
Tyson Invitational concluded with some big time results from some great teams. I sure hope some of those JUCO kids come to the hill.

Great meet for the Razorbacks. Sam Ewing finally got going...he jumped 16-8.

I heard that Neill Braddy has been sick the past few days but he is still running pretty good.

Caleb Cross keeps hitting hurdles apparently and only getting so-so times (8.33)...to put that into perspective his PR was 7.78 last season. Hopefully at SECs, he will get over each hurdle.

Efurd ran the 3000...it wasn't super fast, but it wasn't terrible (8:47). At least he is getting back to racing. Hopefully he sticks with it.

Jordan Bryant is still running around 1:55 in the 800, hopefully he has a breakthrough soon. He still has a long time to do that, though

On the women's side, Whitney Jones had a PR in the indoor 200 (23.87). Grace also had a PR in the indoor mile (5:03.78). She is getting close to under 5:00 already.

The Hesseltine girl from Springdale has been jumping 5-7 or 5-6 consistenly. She hit 5-8 once in high school at the end of outdoor. Its hard to just dramatically improve in high jump when you are jumping that high, so I would say she is doing pretty good.

RATTLER43

The Hogs seem to building strengths in areas not so strong in the past. I am beginning to develop some faith in the future with Buck.

AT

Me too, Rattler. Arkansas men moved up to #5 in the indoor rankings by USTFCCCA. These are the first rankings of the year that are solely based on this year's results.

The women moved up to #4.

I'm excited for Saturday's Indoor state meet. I guess you'll be up there Friday, right Rattler?

Good luck to your team. I'm guessing you're just looking for your team to compete this early in the year and with all the snow days? If you want, give us a summary on how your team does as soon as you can. 

RATTLER43

Yes. We will be there Friday. Really excited to see where some are in there progressions. We have done no speed work whatsoever. Weights, plyometrics, and conditioning for the most part. Snow days were brutal.

I will post as soon as possible afterward. Good luck to all both days.

Loving on the Hogs right now!!!!

~WPS~

February 16, 2011, 09:44:55 pm #182 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:38:51 am by Ballplayer1
It sure is nice in Nashville on those cold, snowy days to have an indoor football dome to run in. Im hoping that might help us out friday in that we got in more work than others. Good luck to all. Should be a fun day. Track is finally here.

AT

Interestingly enough, Alma's new arena is a good place to run.

Believe it or not, one full circle around the top is VERY close to 200 meters. The architects didn't even try to do that. The corners are sharp, though, so you can't have too many things happening at once...and you have to go kinda slow around the corners.

I hit my shoulder on the walls a few times in the arena.

Eaglemaniac

Orlando will be in Fayetteville this weekend in MAROON and WHITE. He has not moved to Louisiana.

vtown22

Quote from: Eaglemaniac on February 17, 2011, 08:25:15 pm

Sounds great...Really enjoy watching him! wouldn't have the chance to see him if he were in Louisiana!! Thanks

Orlando will be in Fayetteville this weekend in MAROON and WHITE. He has not moved to Louisiana.

Eaglemaniac

Quote from: vtown22 on February 10, 2011, 01:30:36 am

I heard that rumor and I also know that he had an injury that caused him to miss football season...heard it was acl

Orlando was injured last summer playing 7 on 7. It was his ACL but it wasn't as bad as some. He was only on crutches for 2 weeks after surgury. He ran a 4.5 40 in January during offseason workouts for football. He isn't 100% but he's getting there.

vtown22

good to hear....He should have a great future ahead if can stay healthy

AT

I've been doing something interesting the past few days in between work from classes and such.

By using the results from arkansastrackstats.net, I've been adding up the points in each event from state in 4A/5A since 2004. Luckily, arkansastrackstats.net started keeping state results in 2004, because thats when Alma and Magnolia started their domination. Here are a few events to begin with (I don't want to throw too much info at y'all at once.)

100 meter dash
Crossett – 87
Magnolia – 53
West Helena – 27
Camden Fairview – 24
Hope – 16

200 meter dash
Magnolia – 75
Crossett – 51
Hope – 26
Alma – 16
Camden Fairview – 16

400 meter dash
Hope – 40
Magnolia – 25
Camden Fairview – 25
Alma – 24
West Helena – 22

Not surprisingly, Crossett has the most points since 2004 in the 100. Magnolia was a lot closer until this past year when Crossett went 1,2,3 in the event. Alma has only had one runner score in the 100 in those years, Dexter Pendergraft.

In the 200, Magnolia and Crossett dominate again. Magnolia gets the upper hand this time, though. It is kind of surprising to see Alma here, but they've had 3 different scorers in the 200 since 2004. Hope and Camden Fairivew aren't that surprising. They always have good sprinters

The 400 surprised me some. I had heard about the Mallory brothers from Hope, but I didn't realize they were that good for that long. I think they scored 3 years in a row...and pretty high too. The other 4 are very close and not surprising. I suspect Magnolia will be catching Hope pretty soon. Camden Fairivew and West Helena always have at least one good 400 runner. You shouldn't be surprised to see Alma here either. They have had some good 400 runners in the past with Pendergraft, Hellard, and Hobbes.

MHSGrad

scary thing is that the mallory brothers nearly moved to magnolia w their cousin their junior yr lol

MHSGrad

Also, how much is it to get in the door tomorrow? :)

AT

Quote from: MHSGrad on February 18, 2011, 02:45:23 pm
Also, how much is it to get in the door tomorrow? :)

Great question. I'm going to bring like 5 dollars at least.

Heres some more stats

800 meter run
Alma – 63
J.A. Fair – 37
Magnolia – 32
Beebe – 32
Hot Springs – 28

1600 meter run
Alma – 39
Magnolia – 33
Beebe – 30
Pulaski Academy – 22
JA Fair – 20

3200 meter run
Greene County Tech – 27
Vilonia – 27
Beebe – 26
Alma – 24
Monticello – 20

In the 800, Alma has pretty much dominated. JA Fair has had 2 very good runners and those two have combined for 3 800 State championships I believe. Magnolia will pass JA Fair soon since JA Fair is in 6A now. Beebe has had the Burns brothers come through and Hot Springs always seems to have 1 good 800 runner every year. I was surprised to not see West Helena here, but thehy usually have 4 pretty good 800 runners and not any stars.

Alma has the upper hand in the mile, but its not domination by any means. Most of Alma's points came from the Mason brothers while Magnolia's have come from Sean Alexander and Fields. I suspect that Alma, Magnolia, and Beebe will keep seperating themselves from the pack. Pulaski Academy's points all came from one runner (Chris Moutos) and JA Fair is in 6A now.

The 3200 meter run has been one of the most competitive events. Greene County Tech always seems to have someone in this event who can get points. Vilonia just recently became a 2 mile factory with Ball and Bowling racking up the majority of their points. Beebe seems to usually have a good 2 miler. Alma is a little deceiving here...most of Alma's points came from Matt Mason and some from Nazar. Alma actually hasn't scored in the 2 mile in 3 years. Monticello's points came from one runner (Ben Alexander). Look for Magnolia to start catching these teams. I think GCT, Vilonia, and Beebe will continue to produce points while Alma will have to start finding some long distance runners to keep up.

MHSGrad

Ill def by there tomorrow!.. ready to take all kinds of notes and enjoy the beginning of the track season :).. Vilonia is the overall favorite for 5A, but, so was Camden a couple years ago, and they laid an egg at state, and got 4th.. I can smell it in the air.. I love this time of year

RATTLER43

February 19, 2011, 02:03:13 pm #193 Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:23:10 pm by RATTLER43
Quote from: Ballplayer1 on February 16, 2011, 09:44:55 pm
It sure is nice in Nashville on those cold, snowy days to have an indoor football dome to run in. Im hoping that might help us out friday in that we got in more work than others. Good luck to all. Should be a fun day. Track is finally here.

We have no indoor facilities to work on specifics. We have only been able to lift, do plyos, and run bleachers. All good but no specific work on needful things. It showed some yesterday for us. All in all I was pleased.

60m Dority 11th Long Yang 12th
200m Chang Yang 9th
400m Toto Yang 12th
800m Williams 6th
1600m
3200m
60m HH Long Yang 4th Charlie Moua 14th
PV Long Yang 7th
4x800m relay 7th
4x400m relay 6th

Girls
Bryan 12th in triple jump and 11th in 200m
Lyle 4th in 3200m and 8th in 1600m
Carter 5th in 1600m
Dority 14th in shot put
4x800m 7th
4x400m 9th

RATTLER43

How is the big school meet going?

~WPS~

We struggled alot yesterday.  I think it had to do alot with a lack of depth. Usually we have our whole team now but the basketball team is still playing and that cut us short on field events and made most guys double up on events.

AT

I just got back home from the 5A-7A meet. I left right before the 3200.

Highlights (I didn't think there were many)

A Fayetteville runner ran a 1:55ish...crazy. And then another Fayetteville runner ran 1:56ish.

A kid from Little Rock Hall (I believe) ran a 49 in the 400 in this young season.

Cabot's 4x8 ran an 8:12 and I think Bentonville was right behind them.

As far as 5A, which is what I followed the most, the teams that really stuck out to me were Vilonia, Beebe, Alma, and Crossett. Siloam Springs is also going to make some noise in the 5A West this year. Greenwood has a sophomore 800 runner running low 2s already.

I didn't see Orlando Robinson there from Crossett...James Sax from Vilonia looks as good as ever...Vilonia, Beebe, and Alma's 4 x 8 team will probably be battling it out at state (along with Magnolia)...in the 800, Vilonia has two good runners, Alma has one, Beebe has a couple, and Greenwood has a good one that I saw...Vilonia's pole vaulters will probably win state...no one in the mile stuck out to me really, but that doesn't mean anything.

I didn't get to watch the 4 x 4...I'll talk more about what the 5A looks like after the results are on directathletics.

InYoGrill

As I have implied already earlier this year and will the rest of the season- V Track gonna PUNISH!  >:(

MHSGrad

Were we at the same track meet? Bc, what i saw, with all the times i wrote down, was the weakest 5A has been at indoor in years.. no teams impressed me.. 5A distance, other than Paragould in the mile and greenwood in the 800 did anything.. Jumps were bad, except for mills and camden.. Sprints were bad.. Sax ran almost a 24 and looked like he has put on 15 lbs.. I dunno.. I walked in thinkin vilonia in may by 20, i walked out scratching my head.. I know its the beginning of the season, but compared to years past, unless im just bein dramatic, 5A looked bad

W that said.. that 800 was freakin amazing.. Alex Chaffin of Catholic and the guy from Fayetteville were amazing.. 1:55 and 1:57.. The last lap of the mile was a 56 from the guy from springdale and a 57 from Findlay from Catholic..

Alma did impress me in the shot, but shocked me that they had no vaulters? No one under 2:10 in the open 800? Vilonia, no one under 2:15?.. Sax placing 4th in his heat in the 60.. I was amazed.. Again, yes its the beginning of the season, but, if yall arent careful, GW and SS might take away some important spots at state for vilonia and alma
Anyways, i cant wait till may.. Vilonia is still the favorite, but, i just wasnt as impressed as yall i guess

AT

Oh no I agree 5A is weaker this year. Notice I never said any different. All I said was Vilonia, Beebe, Alma, and Crossett stuck out to me.

Did Sax really almost run a 24 in the 200? I didn't even see it. I saw his hurdle race and I thought he did pretty good.

Alma is going to struggle this year for sure, but I have confidence they will get it together. Woods ran 2:10 two times and looked very strong doing it both times. They have about 3 weeks til the first outdoor meet I believe and I know Coach Mac will be working their butts off.

We actually have one of our best sprinters since Pendergraft, but I dont' know how much he will be able to do. Its still early, lets give it time and see what 5A shapes up to be, but if I had to guess, it will be weaker this year.

Oh and believe me, I saw Greenwood and Siloam Springs. The coaches from Alma saw it too, haha. Siloam has some field event guys and some distance runners...and Greenwood seems to have one really good 800 runner.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas